Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So I watched the first season of Infinity Train and I was blown away by the scene where the protag confronts the end game boss. The way they talked them down and ended with a potential redemption path was amazing.

I feel like kid cartoons are becoming more nuanced and more "aware" if that makes sense. Can't wait to watch the rest of that great show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oh no.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well they explain pretty early on that the witches/residents of the Boiling Isles get their magic from their hearts (though they say it in a joke so it's easy to forget) because everyone has weird magic sacs of bile attached to their hearts. Luz doesn't have that, but apparently there's just kind of magic in the Isles themselves, probably because of the titan they're built on, so she's probably drawing on that with her glyphs. So back in "our" world, the glyphs are useless, but Lilith's (and probably every other character's) literally born with it.

However, Eda does say back in her first magic lesson that witches used magic before the bile sac days, so maybe sooner or later Luz will figure that out.

Two things that'd be interesting to speculate: One, could Luz start mixing glyphs? Two, is it possible her glyphs, if big enough be more potent whatever another witch could put out? Like, draw a glyph around the whole island or something (or maybe the islands in the shape of a glyph)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Xelkelvos posted:

Two things that'd be interesting to speculate: One, could Luz start mixing glyphs? Two, is it possible her glyphs, if big enough be more potent whatever another witch could put out? Like, draw a glyph around the whole island or something (or maybe the islands in the shape of a glyph)

I'm envisioning a final showdown where Luz realizes that the whole arena she's on is a giant glyph, and wins by activating it.

Also, I'm reading Witch Hat Atelier, a manga about a girl learning glyphs that work much like how Luz uses them, and it's full of a lot of creative ways to use the technique, like for example inscribing half a light glyph on stepping stones and the other half of the glyph below them, so that when someone is stepping on a stone, the glyphs come together and make it light up. Would be neat to see Luz come up with stuff like that instead of just using prebuilt decks all the time.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I agree with whoever said they were kind of working backward with that Owl House finale. They definitely already had it planned out and the rest of the season kind of went in a different direction? Also it seemed like the animation wasn't as fluid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm out of touch with kids animation, is there anything that's a good spiritual successor to Gravity Falls or Over the Garden Wall?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Len posted:

I'm out of touch with kids animation, is there anything that's a good spiritual successor to Gravity Falls or Over the Garden Wall?

Yes, The Owl House, Infinity Train, and Amphibia.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is gravity Falls good? I never watched it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gravity Falls is very good. One of my favourite shows of the last 10 years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Also, watch Ducktales. It's loving great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I've been checking out Mao Mao on CN and man why aren't more people talking about it? It's hilarious!

e: I just got to the episode that's entirely a parody of the Alabama Leprechaun meme/video from loving 2006, man what a callback

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 31, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TwoPair posted:

So I've been checking out Mao Mao on CN and man why aren't more people talking about it? It's hilarious!

absolutely the funniest show I've watched in years

I liked the episode where Adorabat has to take on the Sky Pirates by herself

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xelkelvos posted:

I think this is a reasonable assumption. Witchling magic draws from an internal reserve--that gross bile sac near the heart. Sigil magic seems to draw straight from the titan and is directly proportional to size, so there's no reason so far to expect that it has a limit, so long as you can draw a complete sigil.

I thought it was interesting how, when she had the staff, Luz could use all her known sigils instantly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I love Mao Mao. It's a real triumph of animation and it's just plain funny aside from having some cool action. Mao Mao's a great character to bounce goofy things against, and the Sweety Pies are excellently goofy and fun in their own right with some good VAs.

Boba Pearl posted:

Is gravity Falls good? I never watched it.

It's okay. It kinda fell apart as it had enact its overarching plot without having a clear idea of where it wanted its characters to go, but just going from episode to episode it's a good ride most of the way.

It stumbles over romance, but not nearly as bad as Adventure Time does.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been wondering how Mao Mao was going to handle the fact that it's basically a cop show, but the fact that they just did a second episode about how if you provoke someone into acting out it's your own goddamned fault what happens next, I feel more confident.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

angerbeet posted:

I agree with whoever said they were kind of working backward with that Owl House finale. They definitely already had it planned out and the rest of the season kind of went in a different direction? Also it seemed like the animation wasn't as fluid.

It's kind of ironic to me that The Owl House felt like it was going to be the more story-focused show, yet I'm finding myself much more invested in the ongoing story that's been emerging in Amphibia, a show that felt like it was going to be way more episodic and self-contained...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Owl House and Amphibia feel like Gravity Falls and Star vs. the Forces of Evil had kids, and I am okay with that.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I'm currently catching up on The Owl House but unless things really pick up in the second half, I really do think I prefer Amphiba. The jokes land more often, the characters are better defined, and the show realizes and delivers on its setting better than Owl House does. Frog World does what it says on the tin, whereas Owl House promised me a cool dead demon island but then seems to really want to do Precious Wizard School instead. It has its moments but something about the over-all tone is putting me off a bit. Maybe it's King.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Out of the Precious Wizard School stuff, I thought all the time spent on Gus' Human Society in the early episodes was redundant with Eda's human trinkets stand. It all slowed down a lot in the middle compared to the end. I liked the double-coven kids in the detention episode. Sometimes people are able to figure out something new because they learned two things that aren't commonly held in one person's head at the same time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know I’m late on this, but I just got to episode 5 of the new season of Infinity Train and god drat I was not expecting this level of brutality. It’s a really interesting choice to have characters with such psychological complexity who are fully real and feeling characters but are irredeemably bad—or one, anyway. It’s probably spurred some interesting and deep conversation between parents and kids watching together.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Amphibia is kind of going the Steven Universe route whereas Owl House is more Gravity Falls. Amphibia has those 11 minute episodes with plenty of "townie" episodes with a first season that doesn't openly acknowledge the main plot till the finale. Amphibia shorter episodes let it cover ground faster and helps it deliver humour. You can tell more stories per season in the format. If an episode is filler, you always have the next one to advance the plot. Shorter episodes also require faster and punchier writing, which lends itself better to writting jokes. Less air time also helps jokes land as they clump closer together and keep you warmed up. And, if they want to tell a bigger story, they just make it a two parter.

The Owl House does 23 minute episodes with a lot more plot advancement and status quo change in season one and the mysterys are constantly hinted at. This works better for intrigue. The constant allusions to greater depth will intice watchers. The longer episodes with a weekly format makes filler both a relief from the plot and intice people for the next plot episode.

Also, I am fine with the Owl House going all magic school. They were hinting at it from episode 1 with Luz wanting to be a Witch. That was her main character drive and that leading to a Hogwarts parody school seems inevitable. It wasn’t something I knew for a fact but it coming up didn't suprise me. The Owl House is for kids who grew up in the 00s reading Harry Potter and wanting more (and more gay ) stories like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Owl House has an outright riff on Harry Potter and probably more subtle ones. Mentioned before that the school plot actually works because it's a contrast to how Luz gets treated by other humans; that the adults actually meet her halfway, settle their own poo poo and figure out how to let Luz learn the way that works for her.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s probably spurred some interesting and deep conversation between parents and kids watching together.

I know we make this joke about all modern cartoons but it's a genuine question here because Infinity Train is trapped on some obscure streaming platform, DO any kids actually watch that show?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Wild rear end guess: the Titan wants to die

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I know we make this joke about all modern cartoons but it's a genuine question here because Infinity Train is trapped on some obscure streaming platform, DO any kids actually watch that show?

Kids pirate.

Last Owl House episode: with the Emperor being an enigmatic, disarmingly good-natured figure whose main goal is to open a portal, I was getting oddly She-Ra vibes.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 31, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Wild rear end guess: the Titan wants to die
the symbiotic titan? that request was already granted in 2011

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s probably highly determined by how interested the parents are in watching. The reddit seems to be about half early or mid-teens, going by post quality and what they say about themselves, though I’ll make the obligatory joke that they’re all really 30. The other half are obviously college-age or older.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kids pirate.

Last Owl House episode: with the Emperor being an enigmatic, disarmingly good-natured figure whose main goal is to open a portal, I was getting oddly She-Ra vibes.

https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1299882194974978049

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a Owl House Prediction, an overall one - while laid up in bed, Amity will be unable to dye her hair green, so the dye will grow out, symbolising her starting to break from her toxic family. Maybe as one final gently caress you to them she'll drop out of school and join Eda and Lillith learning wild, primal, glyph magic with Luz. Either way, her hair turning brown will be an important part of her stopping letting her parents control her.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a Owl House Prediction, an overall one - while laid up in bed, Amity will be unable to dye her hair green, so the dye will grow out, symbolising her starting to break from her toxic family. Maybe as one final gently caress you to them she'll drop out of school and join Eda and Lillith learning wild, primal, glyph magic with Luz. Either way, her hair turning brown will be an important part of her stopping letting her parents control her.

I may have missed something, but why do you think her hair is dyed?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In her photo in Willow's memories she had brown hair, and she clearly has brown roots at the front of her hair on her character design, there's a large brown patch. Also it's a different shade to her familys hair, which is a darker green throughout, so it seems she's trying to emulate them due to social pressure

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If that's actually Amity's parents in Eda and Lilith's flashback, then she has her father's hair.

It would be actually hilarious if her father also dyes his hair green to please his wife.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

...HBO is obscure now?

Like, I'd see your point if it was on Shudder or something, but HBOMax is probably the biggest out of the network-specific streaming services, largely because a shitload of people already had HBO before that and Max more or less replaced HBONow/HBOGo. Even setting aside that kids pirate the poo poo out of things, there's probably a pretty goddamn huge number of kids whose parents have HBOMax and who, consequently, have Infinity Train available to watch.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Beachcomber posted:

I may have missed something, but why do you think her hair is dyed?

I mean it's sort of a question. Is it dyed and browning at the roots or do the Blights' hair turn green at a certain age.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Late to the party on this, but I just finished the third season of Infinity Train and it stinks that there won’t be any more. It seems like they really hit a sweet spot in working out how to expand the world and develop a future season from a current one. An Amelia season would have been very interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Another Owl House thing I liked was the animation on Luz and Amity's dance and the duel between Eda and Lillith. While the latter was a little choppy at times I thought the dynamic camera really helped it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

Another Owl House thing I liked was the animation on Luz and Amity's dance and the duel between Eda and Lillith. While the latter was a little choppy at times I thought the dynamic camera really helped it.

I love that dance. It created ample amounts of.what used to be called "Squee".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

(clarity edit - Owl house)It would actually be interesting, given their obsession with power, if Amity's parents wound up wanting to meet her new friend group due to their recent exploits. They are obsessed with strong witches, and these few just took on the Emperor's will and survived to tell the tale. Especially if they got renewed interest in Willow since her power has started to literally blossom. Especially if it gave Gus an opportunity to flex by not attending and sending an illusion in his stead. Just "We heard your illusions are growing quite impressive... why don't you demonstrate?" "I already am, you guys weren't really worth me coming in person. Bye!*poof*"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 1, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it Spider-Verse also revolves around a private attempt to rip a hole in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I get a real malfoy vibe from amity’s parents. It’s going to be really awkward if and when luz friend zones her.