Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

stories like that are why I never keep anything in the rowboat. I've never lost treasure to someone detaching the rowboat (that I know of lol) but I have lost rowboats to the back of my boat getting damaged, and it's one of the things I try to shoot when engaging another boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Babe Magnet posted:

stories like that are why I never keep anything in the rowboat. I've never lost treasure to someone detaching the rowboat (that I know of lol) but I have lost rowboats to the back of my boat getting damaged, and it's one of the things I try to shoot when engaging another boat.

oh that's interesting, I didn't know you could shoot the rowboat off! I'll have to keep it in mind.

one thing I really love about this game is how many options you have for PVP by the by

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

oh that's interesting, I didn't know you could shoot the rowboat off! I'll have to keep it in mind.

one thing I really love about this game is how many options you have for PVP by the by

3 of my friends and I have been playing on a galleon most saturdays for the past few weeks and I have to say, I see no appeal at all to ship-to-ship alliances. It is so much fun just fighting people, win or lose.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I swore off putting loot in the rowboat after too many times where the rowboat becomes a liability on turn-in, even just for beaching it and selling immediately, if anyone rolls up or is hiding on the island suddenly your forced to stay and defend the rowboat and divide your attention or lose all the treasure you put in it to them turning it in instead.

Much better to use the harpoon on the front to bring your crew back to the ship after they turn something in and if you see sails approaching you can immediately get going.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Giggle Goose posted:

3 of my friends and I have been playing on a galleon most saturdays for the past few weeks and I have to say, I see no appeal at all to ship-to-ship alliances. It is so much fun just fighting people, win or lose.

hard agree, my crew and I PVP so exclusively that none of us would even know how to form an alliance

although we did try to sync drop once so I guess we'd have to figure it out if we did that

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, there is a spooky lantern I want to get that requires killing a rainbow of skeletons in that one raid. Am I correct that, if I see the raid active, I can just roll up and start killing skeletons to try for the commendation? Assuming of course the players that activated it don't kill me first to protect their loot.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

glitchwraith posted:

So, there is a spooky lantern I want to get that requires killing a rainbow of skeletons in that one raid. Am I correct that, if I see the raid active, I can just roll up and start killing skeletons to try for the commendation? Assuming of course the players that activated it don't kill me first to protect their loot.

Fort of the damned players will probably see you coming and murder you. I'd recommend getting a crew together to just do the raid, its one of the things for the summer event.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QUQgXG1_xxYYZSXHF3Giy5UzN1Qdc-Dw-eeRWBSSwmg/edit#gid=0

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

If you have a mic, you might be able to convince them to let you help them, but it's pretty likely you'll get murdered as soon as the boss is defeated. The loot in the FotD vault is very valuable.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Merijn posted:

If you have a mic, you might be able to convince them to let you help them, but it's pretty likely you'll get murdered as soon as the boss is defeated. The loot in the FotD vault is very valuable.

I might try this out if I happen to be playing solo and see it active, but I'll probably follow Sekhmnet's suggestion and just run through FotD with my normal crew next time we are all on.

I do have a mic, but I've been having issues using the in-game chat. I think it was a result of my Windows privacy settings though, just haven't had a chance to confirm if that corrected the issue.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

glitchwraith posted:

I do have a mic, but I've been having issues using the in-game chat. I think it was a result of my Windows privacy settings though, just haven't had a chance to confirm if that corrected the issue.

I don’t know if you’re playing through Steam, but I had the same issue and the quick fix was to just launch Steam as administrator

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
One thing I'd like to point out about making offers to join other pirates, since this happened yesterday:

If you're going to approach another ship and ask for an alliance, don't sail directly at their cannons and wait for non-megaphone proximity chat to kick in. A sloop tried this with our brig yesterday and by the time we heard this kid saying 'Hey, do you guys...' we had already killed his partner, broke his mast and put multiple holes in his hull as we thought he was going to ram us.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of microphones, does anyone know where I can go to allow SoT/the Xbox overlay to have access to my mic? Since when I first started the game I said 'no' to the popup (before I realised that there's proxy chat :doh:) and now I'd very much like to re-enable it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I don't even know if this works because I can't use my mic either but my audio setup is unnecessarily complex.

You'd go into Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone to allow access for the hardware. Then you can choose which MS Store apps can access the mic in that same screen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

I don't even know if this works because I can't use my mic either but my audio setup is unnecessarily complex.

You'd go into Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone to allow access for the hardware. Then you can choose which MS Store apps can access the mic in that same screen.

Hmm, I'm at work at the moment so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure I checked that screen, but there wasn't an apps option/list. I'll have to check again tonight though, since I probably just missed it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.seaofthieves.com/summer-event/make-new-friends

Does anyone know what's required for the Battle Bards event here? Just enter Galleon Arena and have your whole crew play a shanty while in match? Because I'm listed as 2/4 for that and as far as I know I've never played an instrument during an arena match, ever. But I did do some music playing in the wait lobby with other crews during the summer event.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Zwabu posted:

https://www.seaofthieves.com/summer-event/make-new-friends

Does anyone know what's required for the Battle Bards event here? Just enter Galleon Arena and have your whole crew play a shanty while in match? Because I'm listed as 2/4 for that and as far as I know I've never played an instrument during an arena match, ever. But I did do some music playing in the wait lobby with other crews during the summer event.

That's what I assumed, but I haven't gotten around to trying for the arena events. I also find it strange that it is listed as a four parter. Maybe half of your crew played when you weren't paying attention?

That site seems weird anyway. It has given me credit for two of the "Make New Friends" events, but when I open the page for specifics, it only shows one complete. Pretty sure my second was the Chest to Impress, as I did leave a chest out for someone else to cash in.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

dogs

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I’m counting down the minutes to the next update

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

still butthurt about losing the white shark and I can't bring myself to login and no amount of dogs will change that

I did buy a cat though, it looks awesome but gently caress this game

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Just got a parrot after lucking out and having two ancient skeletons spawn within 10 mins of each other on the same island. Might have waited had I known dogs where incoming, but whatever. Parrot matches the current aesthetic I got going.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I dont know what happened, but it seems like skeleton ships got buffed or something. One popped up near me, and every single shot they fired hit me, which was never the case before. Or maybe I just got unlucky.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I dont know what happened, but it seems like skeleton ships got buffed or something. One popped up near me, and every single shot they fired hit me, which was never the case before. Or maybe I just got unlucky.

They've always been pretty accurate (also the skelly cannoners on the islands). The main advantage you have over them is bailing water and being better about maneuvering your ship. The main ways for skelly ships to sink you are killing or knocking you off the ship at a time when you have damage (especially if you are solo) or repeatedly hitting you with magic like wearyballs or pukeballs preventing you repairing/bailing.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I've had a lot better luck lately fighting Skeleton ships by getting close asap and shooting their cannon. I've also found that dropping may sails to about half mast helps match their speed well. A solo sloop has a big advantage on how long it takes to sink and you can really focus on killing the skeleton that is manning the cannon. Once you down the skeleton manning the cannon its really easy to start spreading damage across the water line. Of course an early cannon shot that knocks you off your boat can really wreck your day as a solo sloop. RNG sometimes needs its pound of flesh.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

A buddy and I played for 8 fuckin' hours last night as he wanted to do something nice for a friend of his and make a little design out of loot. His shopping list was as follows:

200 Captain's Chests
100 Ashen Chests
100 Gunpowder Kegs

I managed to talk him down from that insanity as it took us about 3 hours just to get 60 Captain's Chests and I wasn't about to spend the entire night getting a third of his list. I think the final tally of our haul was:

100 Captain's Chests
51 Ashen Chests
37 Gunpowder Kegs

We were Gold Hoarder Emissary Grade V when we sold everything and alongside a decent amount of skulls, crates and gems picked up along the way we sold it all for 271,000. I'm never doing that poo poo ever again.

Here's my buddy in the rowboat with all that poo poo.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 31, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

God?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

A buddy and I played for 8 fuckin' hours last night as he wanted to do something nice for a friend of his and make a little design out of loot. His shopping list was as follows:

200 Captain's Chests
100 Ashen Chests
100 Gunpowder Kegs

I managed to talk him down from that insanity as it took us about 3 hours just to get 60 Captain's Chests and I wasn't about to spend the entire night getting a third of his list. I think the final tally of our haul was:

100 Captain's Chests
51 Ashen Chests
37 Gunpowder Kegs

We were Gold Hoarder Emissary Grade V when we sold everything and alongside a decent amount of skulls, crates and gems picked up along the way we sold it all for 271,000. I'm never doing that poo poo ever again.

Here's my buddy in the rowboat with all that poo poo.

anyone try to go after you? All those barrels, man

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

anyone try to go after you? All those barrels, man

Yeah, we had a couple Sloops take an interest but my buddy or I were able to board them and drop their anchor or chain-shot their mast to throw them off our trail. We also have a couple tricks to minimize the risk.

1. A harpoon rowboat. A player can lock the harpoon (by holding R on PC) once it's stuck into something so you can 'tow' a rowboat full of gunpowder kegs at a safe distance. This means there's only one player on the ship and the other is sitting on a pile of TNT but c'est la vie.
2. Shroudbreaker. We were mostly near Galleon's Grave and we'd retreat into the red sea around the Shores of Gold if people were hot on our heels. Watching them flail and sink while we're sailing just fine is fun. The red sea will instantly disintegrate a rowboat, however, so #1 doesn't work in combination with this.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Nosthula posted:

I've had a lot better luck lately fighting Skeleton ships by getting close asap and shooting their cannon. I've also found that dropping may sails to about half mast helps match their speed well. A solo sloop has a big advantage on how long it takes to sink and you can really focus on killing the skeleton that is manning the cannon. Once you down the skeleton manning the cannon its really easy to start spreading damage across the water line. Of course an early cannon shot that knocks you off your boat can really wreck your day as a solo sloop. RNG sometimes needs its pound of flesh.

I used to be really bad at fighting skeleton sloops until someone told me this exact strategy. Shoot their cannon. It will do continuous damage & fill their ship with water, and prevent return fire. If you hit every shot, 9 cannonballs are enough to sink it.

Skeleton galleons are just a matter of having the entire crew unload 1 or 2 volleys into it. :black101:

BlackIronHeart posted:

A buddy and I played for 8 fuckin' hours last night as he wanted to do something nice for a friend of his and make a little design out of loot.

Did the final design work out?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Merijn posted:

Did the final design work out?

We had to sub in a few random pieces of loot but my buddy thought it turned out well and that's all that matters. He's the sweetest, nicest person I know and SoT is literally all he plays so I was happy to help him out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

We had to sub in a few random pieces of loot but my buddy thought it turned out well and that's all that matters. He's the sweetest, nicest person I know and SoT is literally all he plays so I was happy to help him out.

Any screenshots? I've had some nice piles of booty laid out before, but nothing quite on that scale

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Any screenshots? I've had some nice piles of booty laid out before, but nothing quite on that scale

No real screenshots sadly but he wrote out a little message so imagine a lot of this on a beach at the Shores of Gold:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A friend and I were trying to rob a dude doing an Ashen Lords event and this galleon contested us. We ended up sinking them but didn't have time to complete the Ashen Lord event before they got back. We waited until they completed it, fought them for an hour (they were very good about converging on us when we boarded) until finally my friend got a clean board and, well ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1WMoO0N4w4&t=197s

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Oh man, loading up the loot in a rowboat while you're fighting is a rookie mistake. Good on you guys for capitalizing on that!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh man, loading up the loot in a rowboat while you're fighting is a rookie mistake. Good on you guys for capitalizing on that!

We were pretty stoked -- the one thing they were really good at was calling out boarding attempts and converging on us to sword us down so getting away with one at last was great

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

No real screenshots sadly but he wrote out a little message so imagine a lot of this on a beach at the Shores of Gold:

You're being so secretive about the actual message, that poo poo better say 'WILL YOU MARRY ME' and she better have said yes. ;)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Merijn posted:

You're being so secretive about the actual message, that poo poo better say 'WILL YOU MARRY ME' and she better have said yes. ;)

That would've been cool but it was literally 'Happy B-Day'.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

That's pretty Nice too!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

New update out: Vaults of the Ancients adds a new voyage for the Gold Hoarders, smaller island banners, and DOGS 🐕

https://youtu.be/_ApBvmZ7_PM

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Anything is possible with enough lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just to make sure, there's no way to stop the vault from closing and filling with water, right? Even if you solve the puzzle and get the chest the vault eventually closes?

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything after I got the chest hidden behind the wall.