Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

ooooh i like that idea

if you want to go further: http://www.composersdesktop.com/cdpsystem.html

this video is really dumb and tryhard but you can skip the first half up to when he gets to using the software https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LypM6-WDjL8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i know we all saw it in the pics thread but this is now on my mood board
https://twitter.com/jaydiggsmusic/status/1300472746527412224

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I didn't see it in the pics thread so thanks for posting it! poo poo rules

I've been having a hell of a time getting loops to come together into tracks lately

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

I didn't see it in the pics thread so thanks for posting it! poo poo rules

I've been having a hell of a time getting loops to come together into tracks lately
whats the problem, is it like instrument blending or is it just like technical poo poo like lining up beats to the metronmoe

ive been working on an odd meter 10/8 prog rock thing on the midi drumset and that was fun to to feel out under the influence over the weekend. my pupils were very large, if that gives you indication of my mood. and like i worked out the stuff sober over the rpeceeding weeks and it was so nice to flip a couple switches and just sit down at the set and immediately be able to play it at like 2 am while my neighbors were still able to sleep and i had headphones on

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve been having a grand old time in Beatmaker 3 for iOS. the sampler is really, really good and it can pull audio right from YouTube.

makes sampling and looping easy as hell.

it unfortunately does not make up for my lack of creativity

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

whats the problem, is it like instrument blending or is it just like technical poo poo like lining up beats to the metronmoe

a lot of it is programming stuff like fades or turning up a filter to actually have a _track_. like I'll make the drum track build on itself and that's fine, have some pads up the volume until they're there, but then I don't know what to do with my melody. I'll have a handful of bars that I can put in different order and stuff, and it's fun while I'm playing it live, but listening to it after is just super lifeless and bad.

basically the problem is creativity and skill. the lack of skill is both with ableton and at music, generally speaking. it's just frustrating when I jam for a while and have a blast and then can't figure out how to get the jam into 3 minutes I'd actually want to listen to

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

live performing does suffer from that sort of improv syndrome - is fun when your in it but when you go back to condesne an hour of playing into a solid 3 minutes your just like... wtf is this dilluted mess i thought i had

keep at it and you'll find your way. leep playing, recording, listening back, iterating on what you liked and didnt, re-record, etc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's a muscle you have to exercise IMO. jamming counts as working on music

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

speaking of exercise, me and a pal just finished a long improv jam which we streamed to online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dKdTiFy6kc&t=1350s

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

but serious post if you have a bunch of loops and you want a track there's basically 3 ways i go about usually:
1) start from the beginning and fade in one loop/element after another during times that make sense for the song (i.e. if you listen again you will get a feel for whether it's "drat boring nothing is happening" or "whoa gently caress this should be more gradual"
2) start from the middle at a "good part" where you feel everything is clicking the best, then progress either way to fade things in nicely or fix weird stuff
3) take some structural "skeleton" and wrap your loops on it - a common thing i (try to) use is: intro - verse - breakdown - verse - outro. i really suck at it, but it can give you this limited framework where you go 32 bars for the intro, then 64 for the verse, 32 for breakdown etc. or just use some other song as a blueprint for rough structure

it's going to take time, but practice makes perfect* and it's important to understand that your brain will subconsciously get better at solving this problem the more you try. ymmv but i sometimes feel that after failing to write a structured track so many times, i am now failing a little bit less and kind of getting a hang of it

* (lol no it does not you will keep finding problems with your stuff always)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

i know we all saw it in the pics thread but this is now on my mood board
https://twitter.com/jaydiggsmusic/status/1300472746527412224

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He's released the entire track on his Bandcamp :toot:
finding bangers like this on bandcamp or soundcloud makes me bummed out that i switched to spotify because it makes shuffling in these one offs into the playlist harder

also, bandcamp needs a soundcloud play all feature or something
https://jaydiggs.bandcamp.com/track/w-a-p-funk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks for the kind words and advice y'all. I've had my best success sticking to highly regimented stuff as suggested (intro / verse / break / verse / outdo type stuff mostly) and was afraid of leaning too heavily on that. but I think I need to stick with the structures like that until I genuinely outgrow them rather than trying to run before I can walk, so to speak. cheers!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

thanks for the kind words and advice y'all. I've had my best success sticking to highly regimented stuff as suggested (intro / verse / break / verse / outdo type stuff mostly) and was afraid of leaning too heavily on that. but I think I need to stick with the structures like that until I genuinely outgrow them rather than trying to run before I can walk, so to speak. cheers!

i mean take david lynch's advice and just do stuff that you enjoy doing and push yourself to do better. it's completely fine to spend weeks on a track, finish it and actively avoid listening to it for years because you hate it

enjoying the process of making is where it's at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUL8kNYmgsA

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

a lot of it is programming stuff like fades or turning up a filter to actually have a _track_. like I'll make the drum track build on itself and that's fine, have some pads up the volume until they're there, but then I don't know what to do with my melody. I'll have a handful of bars that I can put in different order and stuff, and it's fun while I'm playing it live, but listening to it after is just super lifeless and bad.

basically the problem is creativity and skill. the lack of skill is both with ableton and at music, generally speaking. it's just frustrating when I jam for a while and have a blast and then can't figure out how to get the jam into 3 minutes I'd actually want to listen to

for what it's worth I've thought of a dozen celtic tunes and can play them out on banjo, digital music is a completely different skill and my 19 years of physical instrument experience doesn't matter for poo poo :(

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echi i dunno if you saw this in the pics thread but i wanted to make sure it got to the man himself. its not exactly what i had in mind at first but its what i ended up with for right now
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/odd-meter-01

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

posting our last night's stream here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4AUVcYvKB4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

echi i dunno if you saw this in the pics thread but i wanted to make sure it got to the man himself. its not exactly what i had in mind at first but its what i ended up with for right now
https://soundcloud.com/macro_bulk/odd-meter-01

sick

honestly this inspires me to think about music when I am making these and do them together or something. I love the synth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ycoNHknEZA

lol coincidentally found this

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
poo poo yeah

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yo i read this piece of advice a while ago in ML, but didn't get a chance to put it into practice until today and i'm really pleased with how things are going. started out with a soft lead and it was good, but then i changed it to keys plus occasionally a dirty pluck hitting and it's dope. so if you're kind of bad at this sort of thing like i am, give it a shot and it might be helpful!

So Math posted:

If you want more traditional song structure with a step sequencer, write three 16-step patterns: A, B, and C. B can have a little piece of A in it, but C should be completely different. Extend them out to 64 steps each with copy/paste. Tweak to taste.

Clone all sequences and tweak them more. These are A', B', and C'. Here are some traditional sounding chains you can make with your patterns:

AA'BA AA'B'A CC'
AA' BB' AA' BB' CC'
C AA' BB' C'

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

looks cool, sounds cool

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I wish scratching was still a thing, and q-bert wasn't a big bellend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdBH62_peZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IhNIb-ywW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEGjA1qyraw

(self promotion - a semi famous dj used one of my loops in one of his practice vids)

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 16, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

there needs to be a big innovation in scratching to make it interesting again.

people wore the poo poo out of serato and........welp :shrug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wonder if it’s like how the made the origins dr who theme (go look it up if you don’t know it owns) and it was unique as gently caress at the time

but now, it’s so trivial and ordinary to do all of that. wonder if scratching is analogous

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i sold all my gear when my first kid was born, fast forward a decade and the youngest one is starting school and I actually have a few hours to myself every week.

already rewarded myself with a vox ac15 and g&l start. jonesing for either a digital drum kit or getting into eurorack. one kid has expressed interest in drums, the other in synths so either way im golden

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there needs to be a big innovation in scratching to make it interesting again.

people wore the poo poo out of serato and........welp :shrug:

there was a group out of Houston in the late 90s early 2000s called "Freedom Sold." It was a rapper/guitar guy and a DJ and they did like big noisy shoegazy stuff with sorta backpack hip hop lyrics, they weren't super great but they were real interesting and I kinda wish they had stuck around longer and gotten real good at what they did.

I saw the DJ solo once and it was very cool in an overwhelming psych rock, Bordomes / Jimi Hendrix guitar solo kinda style but clearly grounded in hip-hop DJ traditions.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kernel Sanders posted:

vox ac15 and g&l start

good picks

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

thanks, really happy with the g&l. got a used high end custom American made model for the same price as a new MIM fender

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

posting the flyer/ad for next tuesday's livestream:

also link here: https://scanlines.xyz/t/streamlines-004-ft-tubular-corporation-x-trent-hawkins-tues-9-22/217

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

So I am a music idiot. I have been exploring it more and looking at this pocket operator thing and it is pretty dope! If I could only buy one of the many pocket operator offerings, is there a clear recommendation or is it all "whatever you like bro"? Which I would have no idea because music idiot.

My current thought is the drum one or the one that can record the microphone and alter the sounds recorded.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have the PO-32 (tonic) and it's awesome. I also have the PO-24 (office) and kind of regret it. I never even bothered to get the plugin that would let me change the the PO-32's sounds, but that's a nice bonus if it interests you. just having pitch and mix between the two sounds in each slot makes the 32 tremendously flexible and fun; the 24 doesn't have near the flexibility as far as I can tell and so it kinda fell flat for me. the sampler looks fun too, though

I got my 32 to see if I liked making music. I did, and do, and now I have a bunch of stuff and it's prob my biggest hobby (esp if you include guitar). if I had started out with the 24 I probably would've been like "this sucks what a waste of $50" and never would've even tried out ableton etc

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

but hey maybe it's time I get out the 24 and give it another shot. I never really got down and dirty with it so I should prob give it another go

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
what in the holy gently caress is a guitar

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

how are people doing live visuals for streams ? that seems really time consuming and not that live.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

well why not posted:

how are people doing live visuals for streams ? that seems really time consuming and not that live.

I am not too familiar but it’s kind of like doing a DJ set: you have a bunch of clips that loop very well and you feed them into a video mixer to blend together and add effects and hook up MIDI and audio to make it reactive and interesting

it’s possible just needs some practice and preparations

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

some do live vj coding too - lots of videos about that on the internet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

an old colleague of mine had a startup that made basically a plugin that did that. idk what ever happened to it though, it's still on his LinkedIn but he hasn't updated it in years and the website is dead so I figure he left tech and lives in the woods now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh actually I think they relaunched. nice. so maybe people use synesthasia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I knew a guy who would do live visuals for parties, and he used resolume