Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Henchman of Santa posted:

He immediately moves the goal posts to like “the real shame is that we still use these even though plastic is so bad for the environment!”

Reminds me of this clickbait slideshow that Rolling Stone of all places used to promote on Facebook that was something like “40 things millennials won’t recognize.” One of them was floppy disks, a thing I, a 90s baby, used until middle school.

Part of it is because the media keeps redefining the generations (I've seen millennial be 1977 to 2004 at the largest span), even though those people have NO social defining moments in common (being 24 during 9/11 vs not being born; just entering the workforce (mid 80s people) when the Recession happened vs being 3 years old etc).

So, yea a bunch of us "millennials" know what that poo poo is, but that is because millennial keeps being redefined by stupid boomers to mean "someone younger than me whom I don't like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Fake edit here is some old content that reliably throws Aussies into a panic

Am Australian and can confirm. That and the Gympie Gympie are the only hard NO's here. Everything else is use best judgement but not those guys.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

In the uk we have sticky strip things to hold our bread bags shut.

We still have those bread clips posted above here. They make good guitar picks in a pinch.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Inceltown posted:

Gympie Gympie

gently caress that plant. I'm only afraid of two things in life: fear itself and the Gympie Gympie.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

What I said before about him being desperate for the approval of people who literally want him dead.

"At least I owned the libs" Ben says to himself as Trump's brownshirts gun him down.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

captainOrbital posted:

gently caress that plant. I'm only afraid of two things in life: fear itself and the Gympie Gympie.

I had never heard of this plant before and this sounds terrible:

Wikipedia posted:

The hairs cause an extremely painful stinging sensation that could last from several hours to 1–2 days, recurring to a lessening degree for several months or more whenever the area is touched, exposed to water, or subjected to temperature change.

Ernie Rider, who was slapped in the face and torso with the foliage in 1963, said:

For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah everything about Australia is just a big giant nope.avi to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

his stealth yarmulke is constantly breaking my mind but even this profile photo is carefully cropped so it doesn't show

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

jjack229 posted:

Florida has the Manchineel Tree and it is also loving horrible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

quote:

A present-day Spanish name is manzanilla de la muerte, "little apple of death". This refers to the fact that manchineel is one of the most toxic trees in the world: the tree has milky-white sap which contains numerous toxins and can cause blistering. The sap is present in every part of the tree: the bark, the leaves, and the fruit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i GOTTA have my pops

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That you call it that tells me you’re not ready for it.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

ynohtna posted:

That you call it that tells me you’re not ready for it.

lol. and wow. I'm not sure why I ever worried about dating now. that post is a gift to the world.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

jjack229 posted:

quote:

The hairs cause an extremely painful stinging sensation that could last from several hours to 1–2 days, recurring to a lessening degree for several months or more whenever the area is touched, exposed to water, or subjected to temperature change.

Well, that's a bit of a relief, at least. Human bodies aren't usually subjected to temperature changes or touching, or exposed to water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I was convinced that one was a gag until I saw the obituary.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Well, that's a bit of a relief, at least. Human bodies aren't usually subjected to temperature changes or touching, or exposed to water.
[/quote]

Goons rejoice in this glad tidings.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

50s girl groupon posted:

Florida has the Manchineel Tree and it is also loving horrible.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchineel

A doctor ate the fruit and it was not fun for her.

I saw one in Curaçao or Grenada that was outside a restaurant and it was absolutely ringed with DANGER! signs in various languages.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

AlbieQuirky posted:

A doctor ate the fruit and it was not fun for her.

I saw one in Curaçao or Grenada that was outside a restaurant and it was absolutely ringed with DANGER! signs in various languages.

quote:

We found our experience frightening, and with the increasing availability of package Caribbean holidays we think that attention should be drawn to the potentially serious hazard of this fruit.

lmao you dumbass. You NEVER eat something you can't 100% identify, that's on you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Holy poo poo did someone put a lot of work into that site.

Also, I really want Cane’s, now. There are two of them in the Cleveland area for some reason. That’s less than three hours from me. Maybe I just picked up a weekend project.

There's one down in Canton, not sure where you're at though.

Also Canes isn't good y'all are insane.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

It's an occlupanid.

But, yes, I'm over 40.

Lol, “occlu”: close to, “pan”: bread

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱

Inceltown posted:

lmao you dumbass. You NEVER eat something you can't 100% identify, that's on you.

Yeah but then you see ads for bullshit like this which you might think work and while "don't eat random berries" has had a while to work itself out via natural selection we haven't evolved "don't trust image identifying AI" yet

Edit: I'd honestly only trust an app to do this if whatever I pointed it at it said "you're asking your phone if this will make you sick so I'm gonna say probably don't eat it"

DiabloStarCraft has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Sep 1, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Yeah but then you see ads for bullshit like this which you might think work and while "don't eat random berries" has had a while to work itself out via natural selection we haven't evolved "don't trust image identifying so" yet

When in doubt, test on a child and blame them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Yeah but then you see ads for bullshit like this which you might think work and while "don't eat random berries" has had a while to work itself out via natural selection we haven't evolved "don't trust image identifying AI" yet

Edit: I'd honestly only trust an app to do this if whatever I pointed it at it said "you're asking your phone if this will make you sick so I'm gonna say probably don't eat it"

Don't trust algorithms.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

When in doubt, test on a child and blame them.

It tastes like burning!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

Please note that you had all the information required to correctly guess the answer.

No they didn't. For all we know that octopus supports aboriginal rights.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I remember my Anthro Professor talking about how 80% of red berries are poisonous, and that the only way we know "These are cool, those will kill" was someone had to eat that poo poo, and pass that down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Let us thank all the people who didn't manage to become our ancestors for their sacrifice.

Or maybe we just killed off all the people who were allergic to raspberries, who knows?

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010

Inceltown posted:

They pretty much agree with you right after the part you quoted

"Perhaps few adults (especially a medically qualified one) would be foolish enough to try eating an unknown fruit found on a foreign beach, but children would be highly likely to do so, especially when they find it to smell and taste sweet, resembling a ripe plum."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Really wish she'd disclosed how drunk she was at that point.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

bulletsponge13 posted:

I remember my Anthro Professor talking about how 80% of red berries are poisonous, and that the only way we know "These are cool, those will kill" was someone had to eat that poo poo, and pass that down.

There are ways to test if food is edible other than just eating a huge chunk of it and saying to your friend "try this, it's great".

For instance the first test you should do with unfamiliar plants you're trying to eat is rub a bit of the food on your inner wrist / elbow to see if you get a reaction. This is also only valid for the particular part of the plant you're trying to eat and needs to be repeated for each different part. Just because the leaves don't cause a reaction doesn't mean the roots or fruits are safe to eat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having had an extensive run-in with poison ivy last summer, the above sounds like a very flawed idea in manifold ways

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Data Graham posted:

Having had an extensive run-in with poison ivy last summer, the above sounds like a very flawed idea in manifold ways

yeah you should test things you're gonna eat by just eating them, because eating poison ivy is much better than rubbing a tiny piece on a tiny spot of your skin as a test??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can eat stinging nettles if you cook them first, and first nations people used them for tea.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Inceltown posted:

There are ways to test if food is edible other than just eating a huge chunk of it and saying to your friend "try this, it's great".

For instance the first test you should do with unfamiliar plants you're trying to eat is rub a bit of the food on your inner wrist / elbow to see if you get a reaction. This is also only valid for the particular part of the plant you're trying to eat and needs to be repeated for each different part. Just because the leaves don't cause a reaction doesn't mean the roots or fruits are safe to eat.

Yeah, I was trained in that. But given how people are, I'd bet most ate it. Lol

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
:captainpop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah you should test things you're gonna eat by just eating them, because eating poison ivy is much better than rubbing a tiny piece on a tiny spot of your skin as a test??

Thinking more like,

*rubs leaf on inside of elbow, waits an hour*

"Well, no issues so far, good to go"

*horrible rash appears two days later and doesn't go away for six months, I don't notice because I ate it and am now a screaming wraith haunting my former coworkers*

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Data Graham posted:

Thinking more like,

*rubs leaf on inside of elbow, waits an hour*

"Well, no issues so far, good to go"

*horrible rash appears two days later and doesn't go away for six months, I don't notice because I ate it and am now a screaming wraith haunting my former coworkers*

more like touch leaf, wait an hour, rub leaf, wait a day, taste and spit out a tiny bite, wait an hour, chew and swallow a tiny amount, wait a week...

that's what they did in Clan of the Cave Bear anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i never read foraging guides about berries or other plants, but all the mushroom foraging ones also preface themselves with "yo find an expert or else."