Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

felt like i was pulling one of those boogers wrapped around my brain thinking about who philip rivers was and why he was photoshopped in with dipo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Welcome to all my new friends here. Come on in, the water's fine! :)

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm gonna come hang out here even tho Portland is still technically in the playoffs...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Knicks fleshing out their coaching staff:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1299353017779707905?s=20

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm gonna come hang out here even tho Portland is still technically in the playoffs...

Whatever man. You're going to miss the McCollum Melo Nurkic...Gary Trent Jr. offensive explosion tonight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oh my god the pony

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lol all of Charles money in the water.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've had the last couple days to think about how to improve the Blazers and there isn't really much they can do this off-season. Almost every player is either part of the core (Dame, CJ, Nurk) or they're on a rookie deal. The only two who aren't are Whiteside who is a free agent and Ariza who only counts as $2m in salary until his deal becomes guaranteed.

So this off-season all they can really do is chase a free agent wing who would take the MLE, put out feelers for Lauri/Kuzma/another cheap wing, and resign Melo and Whiteside.

Then maybe after Ariza's deal becomes gauranteed and Whiteside can be traded Portland can put together a package.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Sigh.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Vanilla Ice is a Mavs fan?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rick posted:

Vanilla Ice is a Mavs fan?

he was born in Dallas

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

There are several hilarious things in this photo. A+

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.

MAVERICKS CONTENT:

Tim Haddaway Jr has a player option for 19m, part of the 71m offer sheet he signed with the knicks after his first good season. Coincidentally, this has been his second good season. Is Tim Jr a contract year man or is he simply unlocking his true potential with much better players around him?

I assume he'll pick up his option because of Covid chaos, but maybe covid chaos will encourage him to sign a longer deal. Who even knows when the next season will start.

Most of their core are signed until 2022-23, with the exceptions of Boban and JJ Barea.

What sort of player would you like to see them add?
Do you see MKG sticking around at a low number?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 31, 2020

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.

MAVERICKS CONTENT:

Tim Haddaway Jr has a player option for 19m, part of the 71m offer sheet he signed with the knicks after his first good season. Coincidentally, this has been his second good season. Is Tim Jr a contract year man or is he simply unlocking his true potential with much better players around him?

I assume he'll pick up his option because of Covid chaos, but maybe covid chaos will encourage him to sign a longer deal. Who even knows when the next season will start.

Most of their core are signed until 2022-23, with the exceptions of Boban and JJ Barea.

What sort of player would you like to see them add?
Do you see MKG sticking around at a low number?

THJ: I dunno what he'll do but everything I've seen in Mavsworld expects he'll pick up that option. I'm not sure he'll shoot 40% from deep again but a bunch of guys had career years from 3 and while there might be some good fortune in that, I also think Carlisle's offense + Luka just leads to insanely good looks. I wouldn't want to extend him for whatever he'd be opting out of $19m for but if he picks up the option I won't be annoyed.

MKG: I doubt he sticks around, though I was pleasantly surprised by him. But it's MKG. I feel kinda similar with him and Trey Burke, where they both managed to pop a bit but I think it's fool's gold driven by them doing two things (perimeter defender for one, secondary ballhandling for the other) that the Mavs really need in general.

I haven't looked at any free agent lists or anything but I think the Mavs could most use a tenacious defensive wing type. One of the main things about the Clippers series is the DAL defense just did not bother them at all, there's nothing pesky or irritating about them. The team had pretty middle-of-the-road defensive rebounding and opponent shooting numbers but was dead last in turnovers forced. DFS is decent but he's not really the "stopper" they try to pitch him as IMO. Delon Wright is good but appears to have made Carlisle's dog house and seems to mentally check in and out at random. Maxi Kleber is good and versatile, providing both shot-blocking and perimeter defense, but he can't do both at once and he's not really cut out to matchup with stronger forwards, Kawhi ate him alive. The Mavs lost a lot of games by very thin margins, having a guy around to piss teams off and force just a couple of bad passes or otherwise wasted possessions could've earned the Mavs several wins.

A strong, defensive-minded big would also be good, and with Boban's limited minutes, Powell coming off a big injury, and KP unable to stay healthy, it should probably be on the wishlist just for depth purposes.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah watching THJ try to guard Kawhi tonight in the 4th was just silly. Kawhi makes a lot of people look silly on D, but Mavs don't have someone strong enough and quick enough to bother him and burn fouls on.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wright is gone next year. The writing is on the wall. I wouldn't be shocked if Barea retires. The most obvious moves to replace them would be Dragic and Burke. It may get crowded at guard with Brunson back.

I expect THJr to take his player option. I'd like MKG to come back. Like many teams, their biggest need will be wing defender that shoots 3s. One more big man would also be nice but it probably not necessary. I hope they don't lose 3 big men to injury next year. The Mavs really are a player or two from being the best team in the league. They were already better than their record this year due to health. Hopefully Porzingis stays healthy next playoffs. The offense is better when he is in. Every player shot significantly better percentages while he was playing during the playoffs. They need a physical player for situations like Morris.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Am I completely misremembering, or did the WCS deal he was on include a player option?

If I thought he was into it, and wouldn't immediately enter the Carlisle zone for wayward players, I wouldn't mind seeing him with a full camp for a couple million.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

FakePoet posted:

Am I completely misremembering, or did the WCS deal he was on include a player option?

If I thought he was into it, and wouldn't immediately enter the Carlisle zone for wayward players, I wouldn't mind seeing him with a full camp for a couple million.

You are correct. I doubt he opts in but kind of wish he would.

edit:
Spanish language article but Barea still wants to play next year and the Mavs want him to join the coaching staff. He sounds like he will try to play for another team if they don't offer him a deal. He's also frustrated that he didn't have a bigger role in the playoffs.
https://www.elnuevodia.com/deportes...para-otro-lado/

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 31, 2020

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Ingram won MIP, so that's cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1300607025584451587?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
"I didn't have Magic Johnson yelling at me to drive to the rim and to never shoot so I pretty much went back to playing the game that got me drafted #2 again."

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
My condolences that Magic ran your team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pelicans are such a fun young team, makes me wonder what's going to happen to make us all hate them in a couple years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

Pelicans are such a fun young team, makes me wonder what's going to happen to make us all hate them in a couple years.

Younger, funner teams

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

lotta sicko perverts already mad at zion

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

MourningView posted:

lotta sicko perverts already mad at zion

I'd just like his muscles to be a little bigger, that's all!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1300824022821875714?s=20

Sadly, this will do nothing to dampen the enthusiasm of Lonzo stans. I am so worried about how much his next contract will be if the Pels keep him. Judging by his past performance, it shouldn't be much. A player's second contract is typically based off projected performance, though. And who knows how far apart the front office and Lonzo's team are on that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kibner posted:

Sadly, this will do nothing to dampen the enthusiasm of Lonzo stans. I am so worried about how much his next contract will be if the Pels keep him. Judging by his past performance, it shouldn't be much. A player's second contract is typically based off projected performance, though. And who knows how far apart the front office and Lonzo's team are on that.

i would assume “very”; he’s a good defender and his passing and passable 3p% makes him a net positive at the 2, but he’s not worth breaking the bank for, and someone out there probably is willing to do that to have him run the show at point

e: otoh, he probably doesn’t need to be driving very much on a team that can pack the paint like the pels

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Lonzo was all caps awful in the bubble, but he wasn’t as bad as that all year. And my team sucked as bad so I can’t judge him too harshly on that.

I get that he has the ball too much to not put pressure on the paint, but if he’s so bad at converting, you don’t want him driving, so I don’t fully agree with the retweet. If he was really good at converting and still didn’t drive, that’d be an issue too. Plus that’s a good point that they haven’t had the best spacing so driving isn’t the best use for him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

The Maestro posted:

Lonzo was all caps awful in the bubble, but he wasn’t as bad as that all year. And my team sucked as bad so I can’t judge him too harshly on that.

I get that he has the ball too much to not put pressure on the paint, but if he’s so bad at converting, you don’t want him driving, so I don’t fully agree with the retweet. If he was really good at converting and still didn’t drive, that’d be an issue too. Plus that’s a good point that they haven’t had the best spacing so driving isn’t the best use for him.

However, it is hard to expect him to get better at it if he just never does it. The team was begging him to drive more and he didn't.

As far as spacing is concerned, the team was one of the better high volume 3pt shooting teams in the league. The team's 3PA as % of FGA was ninth highest in the league and they had the seventh best 3PT FG%. There are issues when Zion shared the court with Favors or Hayes, but the overall body of work points towards the spacing being more than workable enough for Lonzo to have at least 2-3x as many driving attempts per game as he did.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 1, 2020

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Good points. I just assumed the spacing part, forgetting that Zion missed a bunch of games.

Edit: watching him play, it is remarkable the extent to which he goes to avoid driving. Hope Holiday can imbue him with some of The Touch

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

The Maestro posted:

Good points. I just assumed the spacing part, forgetting that Zion missed a bunch of games.

Edit: watching him play, it is remarkable the extent to which he goes to avoid driving. Hope Holiday can imbue him with some of The Touch

The thing that infuriates me most is that he will often start to drive but then give up super early on it and pass out. Or take a terrible step-back shot, which he misses nearly all the time. His catch and shoot is above average but his step-backs are abysmal.

This also extends to anytime he tries to run a PnR, too. The big will set the screen right above the free throw line and Lonzo will use the screen to start driving but then pass the ball to the big (or out to the perimeter to reset) before Lonzo even crosses the free throw line.

I honestly don't even care if he misses his attempts at the rim. I just want him to get to the rim, which I think he is capable of. If nothing else, it works out to be pretty decent offense if he doesn't turn it over on his way there because Zion and Hayes are pretty good on the offensive boards and there are capable shooters in the corners. Plenty of options if he can just get there.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

However, it is hard to expect him to get better at it if he just never does it. The team was begging him to drive more and he didn't.

Yeah that's a pretty common thing with young guys. Tatum and Jaylen were really bad at finishing at the rim (iirc like bottom 10% percentile for at least one of them) for a couple of years but they were encouraged to keep doing it and they learned. Lonzo is still super young so you want him at least trying to work through it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I almost think the thing to do is either 1) hope Indiana signs him to a big offer sheet or. 2) Re-sign him, then feature him for 6 months, then trade him to Indiana.

For some reason Indiana has let it be known they really like him. Okay the reason is they think that 2nd place Pac-12 team from a couple years ago was the best team ever to play college basketball like a lot of UCLA fans do for some mysterious, but hilarious reason.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yesss Lonzo for Aaron and Justin Holiday

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

I almost think the thing to do is either 1) hope Indiana signs him to a big offer sheet or. 2) Re-sign him, then feature him for 6 months, then trade him to Indiana.

For some reason Indiana has let it be known they really like him. Okay the reason is they think that 2nd place Pac-12 team from a couple years ago was the best team ever to play college basketball like a lot of UCLA fans do for some mysterious, but hilarious reason.

Maybe Indiana really wants to slot Brogdon back in more of a hybrid PG/SG role like he had in Milwaukee in hopes that his 3pt% will skyrocket again and they think that Lonzo's defense will cover the shift and he'll just pass all day to Brogdon

Also that Oladipo is probably gone

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

oh no they're going to hire steve alford

But Aaron Holiday is actually good, hater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

The Maestro posted:

Yesss Lonzo for Aaron and Justin Holiday

I would be totally down for this