Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hi hello how are u power gate caches every day

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ok Comboomer posted:

Intel never should've dropped them. I mean, Blue Man Group is awesome too and Intel really helped blow up their profile, but the cleanroom-suit dancers were branding gold.

https://youtu.be/5zyjSBSvqPc
https://youtu.be/o1Rz2A5mxk8

I had forgotten how desperately they danced around not having "white boy" be in the heard lyrics.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
They should have waited to use that ad for the Pentium 2 - not the MMX.

The Pentium 2 (and the Pentium Pro before it) were kind of a big deal. The P6 Arch was something truly new, wasn't it the first to decode the x86 instructions into RISC operations before executing those internally?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I had forgotten how desperately they danced around not having "white boy" be in the heard lyrics.

Microsoft used to do the same thing with "you make a grown man cry".

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

akadajet posted:

Microsoft used to do the same thing with "you make a grown man cry".

haha i had never seen it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocmJE2O4uIU

instead of actually editing out vocals mid-line they just edited the song to never go to the chorus which is a different kind of funny

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

movax posted:

Series X I think has a Pluton core in it, which is a security MCU / root-of-trust they developed as part of Azure. The embedded controllers / security co-processors / management processors (for lack of a better term) closest analogy to what we have on PC is land is probably the EC (embedded controller) / PCH's ME / GPU-integrated MCUs.

Ah ok never thought of the pluton being used in the xbox world.

We are using the mt3620 sphere dev kits which use the Pluton to stream sensor data into the cloud for a webapp. And stream is all it does as the sphere kits have next to no free ram for any meaningful edge processing. We are using a pi 4b to do the heavy lifting and just using the sphere for the secure relay into azure.

I will say though its been rock solid in its job. Although the ethernet interface on the avnet and seeed units we have are a bit...buggy. Wifi has worked flawlessly though.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I forgot how bad these actually were

I might take back what I said earlier

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i can't believe intel would allow music to be played that loudly in their labs -- no wonder 10nm is such a mess!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That Intel jingle was everywhere back then. Hardly see or remember any of their ads nowadays.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MiniSune posted:

Ah ok never thought of the pluton being used in the xbox world.

We are using the mt3620 sphere dev kits which use the Pluton to stream sensor data into the cloud for a webapp. And stream is all it does as the sphere kits have next to no free ram for any meaningful edge processing. We are using a pi 4b to do the heavy lifting and just using the sphere for the secure relay into azure.

I will say though its been rock solid in its job. Although the ethernet interface on the avnet and seeed units we have are a bit...buggy. Wifi has worked flawlessly though.

Pluton evolved out of Sopris, right? I remember reading about Sopris a few years back and when you mentioned the MT3620 just now, went down a bit of a rabbit hole with what it was — I missed the whole GA thing / release into the internet-of-poo poo world.

Which Ethernet module does it use, some Micrel KSZ9xxx RGMII type PHY, or some SPI/non-MII interface controller like the ENC28J60 / some Wiznet thing?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More dancing neon bunny suits, this time with the Bee Gees:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gso3g_ofjlw

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I considered getting the latest i9 ten core but will probably get the i5 and overclock it instead because my goal is high frame rates in video games and not parallel tasks.

However, two criticisms I've heard when soliciting opinions on the i9 are that it's too hot and it uses too much power.

But why should anyone care? If you get a decent cooler such that the CPU won't overheat, why would anyone care if it runs hot?

And if you get a PSU that can feed it, why care if it uses more electricity than most CPUs? How much more are we talking about adding to a monthly electricity bill compared to, say, the i5? A few bucks? (I am asking this earnestly, I don't know how to compute this.)

Anyway, are these genuinely good criticisms for reasons I don't know, or trying to find faults for their own sake?

All I have concentrated on is performance-per-dollar, all else be damned.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
wait for the 4000 series AMD cpus that should be out in the next month or so, Intel is really not the brand to be picking up these days

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Scarecow posted:

wait for the 4000 series AMD cpus that should be out in the next month or so, Intel is really not the brand to be picking up these days

Unless you want the highest frame rates:

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I considered getting the latest i9 ten core but will probably get the i5 and overclock it instead because my goal is high frame rates in video games and not parallel tasks..

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I considered getting the latest i9 ten core but will probably get the i5 and overclock it instead because my goal is high frame rates in video games and not parallel tasks.

However, two criticisms I've heard when soliciting opinions on the i9 are that it's too hot and it uses too much power.

But why should anyone care? If you get a decent cooler such that the CPU won't overheat, why would anyone care if it runs hot?

And if you get a PSU that can feed it, why care if it uses more electricity than most CPUs? How much more are we talking about adding to a monthly electricity bill compared to, say, the i5? A few bucks? (I am asking this earnestly, I don't know how to compute this.)

Anyway, are these genuinely good criticisms for reasons I don't know, or trying to find faults for their own sake?

All I have concentrated on is performance-per-dollar, all else be damned.

Using this video as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R133RDPQR9M

* the i5-10600K is capable of maxing out Battlefield V at 1080p and 1440p, and getting an i9 isn't going to net you more FPS except maybe to bring up the minimums
* the above also applies to Gears Tactics, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and Red Dead Redemption 2

* the difference between the i5 and the i9 for Far Cry New Dawn at 1080p is to go from 121 FPS to 134 FPS at 1080p, or to go from 117 FPS to 125 FPS at 1440p
* there are similar differences for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but as with Far Cry New Dawn, they're all capable of being run well in excess of 100 FPS by the i5, and getting an i9 is only going to give diminishing returns

* the i5 is going to consume just under 200 watts under load, while the i9 is going to consume as much as 300 watts under load. Of course, if you're gaming, then you're usually not putting a 100% load on the CPU, but i9 is still going to consume more power. For you to figure out exactly how much more it's going to cost in terms of electricity bills would require calculating how many hours you use the computer to come up with a kilowatthour consumption figure, and then multiply that by how much your power company charges you per kWh

* the i5-10600K is supposed to retail for about 260 USD, with the KF (no integrated graphics) version costing about 20-30 USD less.
* the i9-10900K is supposed to retail for about 488 USD, with the KF version costing about 10-20 USD less
* this is based on SRP, and with supply being as poo poo as it is due to COVID those prices might vary greatly, but in general that's only ever driven the price of the i9 even higher, so either way it should be apparent that the i9 is almost twice as expensive as the i5, but based on your use-case almost definitely is not going to give you twice the performance, so if your focus is on "performance-per-dollar", then you shouldn't be aiming for the i9.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Unless you want the highest frame rates:

I still stand by my comment, zen3 is expected to bring a increase to clock speeds and IPC should bring it to equal or greater then what intel happens to offer atm, plus if your doing more then 1080p gaming the differences between AMD and Intel quickly turn into cant tell the difference levels

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if you’re willing to wait for faster stuff, then Rocket Lake should jump past Zen3 again sometime around new year

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

if you’re willing to wait for faster stuff, then Rocket Lake should jump past Zen3 again sometime around new year

:allears:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Assuming Intel can actually release it in the form they're aiming for with the improvements they're claiming they can actually accomplish for real this time.

The last five years of Intel releases does not give me much hope in that department.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It still seems true in a conversation strictly about fps

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Inept posted:

A lot of modern PCs aren't PC compatible any more either though. They can't run original DOS any more because the compatibility options are no longer there in some EFI startup environments. The term is fuzzy. Also, if the systems weren't locked down by the vendors, I'm sure you could get modern OSes running on them.
Nothing about the spec indicates that it's optional, only that it contains optional parts - and since CSM is also where the non-UEFI daughterboard OpROM handling is stored, I don't foresee most devices sold (ie. everything but Chromebooks) to forego this, especially since implementers have easy access to a 2-clause BSD licensed example.

movax posted:

I'd say so — the general concept of having a supervisory / security / very very low-level processor acting as the hindbrain of the system (BMCs sort of do this, but not quite). ARM / RISC-V / MCUs in general have the advantage of not having to run like the 8086 on boot and since they more common found in custom SoCs, you can do a lot of more interesting stuff. Since Intel has the PCH, that's a logical place for them to put this functionality and have their low-level interface to the CPU via DMI or something like that.

Pretty sure this is what Google, AWS, etc. have spent time / money doing for their cloud farms to have complete low-level control of their servers — a trusted, bare-metal way to completely reprovision / know what the gently caress's going on.
Both ARM and RISC-V implement security processors in the form of ARM TrustZone and RISC-V Keystone Enclave. The fact of the matter is that Intels actual customers (ie. not us consumers/enthusiasts), which ARM and RISC-V both want to take away from Intel, all demand this kind of feature - so it was inevitable that it would happen.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cavauro posted:

It still seems true in a conversation strictly about fps

Games are very sensitive to memory latency once you're pushing high frame rates. Zen3 will probably bring another increase in IF speed but it's at a fundemental disadvantage compared to Intel's integrated memory controller. But if you can fit the whole hot path into L3, that disadvantage goes away. We already saw glimpses of that with CSGO on Zen2 and Zen3 is doubling the amount of L3 available to a single core.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The 10900K does draw a ton of power when running heavy multithreaded applications, especially when overclocked but gaming generally isn’t this. I generally see between 60W and 100W depending on the game at stock clocks which is fairly easy to cool. I expect this number to rise over the years as games start to become more cpu demanding. Undervolting the 10900K at stock clocks can drop power consumption around 25% to 33%, I’ve got it down to around 165W in real bench.

That said an overclocked 10600K and 10700K will get you 99% of the performance of a 10900K for cheaper. I’d personally lean 10700K if you plan on keeping the CPU for longer than a few years, I imagine games will start using more cores in the next few years with the massive cpu upgrade the PS5 and new Xbox are getting. Of course that just speculation on part and it hates to tell how it will progress.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, almost assuredly on a cul-de-sac'ed chipset with no upgrade path. -_-

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, almost assuredly on a cul-de-sac'ed chipset with no upgrade path. -_-

There's DDR5 coming down the pipe anyway, you're probably not going to be doing an in-place CPU upgrade from Zen 3 either. I could be wrong, depending on how you upgrade and where you buy on the stack.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Paul MaudDib posted:

hahahahaha

betting on Intel roadmaps post COVID in 2020.

Amazing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crunchy Black posted:

hahahahaha

betting on Intel roadmaps post COVID in 2020.

Amazing.

Hey, they'll ship Rocket Lake on time in a single low-volume 2-core SKU in a custom-order only NUC, so it counts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Twerk from Home posted:

There's DDR5 coming down the pipe anyway, you're probably not going to be doing an in-place CPU upgrade from Zen 3 either. I could be wrong, depending on how you upgrade and where you buy on the stack.

Very true, but there's at least a chance of a Zen 3 refresh before they nuke AM4, and "AM5" will probably stick around for a while.

I'm not fanboying here, I'm running a 9900K and I pretty much knew/suspected Z390 was EOL from its launch. Intel desperately needs to stop "boutiquing" their consumer boards.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Very true, but there's at least a chance of a Zen 3 refresh before they nuke AM4, and "AM5" will probably stick around for a while.

I'm not fanboying here, I'm running a 9900K and I pretty much knew/suspected Z390 was EOL from its launch. Intel desperately needs to stop "boutiquing" their consumer boards.

Buying a refresh as an "upgrade" is almost always an awful idea. See: XT chips. For all intents and purposes, both platforms have the same "upgrade" path at this point (zen3/rocket lake and that's it).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VorpalFish posted:

Buying a refresh as an "upgrade" is almost always an awful idea. See: XT chips. For all intents and purposes, both platforms have the same "upgrade" path at this point (zen3/rocket lake and that's it).

Yeah, I have to agree. Upgrading chips after a few years isn't a terrible idea if you can get them cheap and used off eBay or something, but even there they're often not worth the price. Buying an actual new chip for an old board is frequently a pretty bad value proposition unless you bought some super-low core count chip to start and need to expand later for some reason.

Anything you buy now is gonna get clowned by DDR5 in another year+, so why worry about which one lets you spend more money later to still be behind?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just as a reminder, free-fire zone of sorts in GPU thread re: new cards.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Rinkles posted:

That Intel jingle was everywhere back then. Hardly see or remember any of their ads nowadays.

They stick little light sensitive devices in the boxes with the NUCs they ship. When you open the box, it plays the intel jingle. We got a bunch of these at my previous job and I hid them all around the office - the one in the bathroom remained undiscovered and making the intel noise every time the lights turned on (had the motion sensitive lights) until I left.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lorem ipsum posted:

They stick little light sensitive devices in the boxes with the NUCs they ship. When you open the box, it plays the intel jingle. We got a bunch of these at my previous job and I hid them all around the office - the one in the bathroom remained undiscovered and making the intel noise every time the lights turned on (had the motion sensitive lights) until I left.

Same — hid them in lab drawers at random so every time someone opened a seldom-used drawer, they got the little jingle. Good times.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

movax posted:

Same — hid them in lab drawers at random so every time someone opened a seldom-used drawer, they got the little jingle. Good times.

that’s pretty good

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Thanks! This is a helpful post, though I still am curious in an academic sense about the heat and power usage question:

In general, why should a normal user care about CPU heat and power consumption as long as they have adequate cooling and the power usage is a few bucks per month or less?

My impression is that these are mostly irrelevant.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Thanks! This is a helpful post, though I still am curious in an academic sense about the heat and power usage question:

In general, why should a normal user care about CPU heat and power consumption as long as they have adequate cooling and the power usage is a few bucks per month or less?

At a certain point the gains are small enough all they're doing is enhancing ones epeen, and epeen is for dorks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Well, a few reasons:

(1) That power draw has to fit within whatever envelope your PSU can provide. The higher the power use, the more people are gonna need a bigger PSU.
(2) The higher the power draw off the start, most likely the less has been left on the table, which would suggest lower overclocking headroom. In that we've often been able to get an extra 10-15% or more performance via overclocking in the past, only getting 5% or whatever because it's already maxed out would be a little disappointing, but somewhat academic.
(3) You do need to get rid of that heat. More power = more heat = more fan noise. No one likes sitting next to a leaf-blower.
(4) That heat goes somewhere. Mostly your room. An extra 100W isn't a huge deal for a lot of people, but in a small room with no A/C like many countries often have, it's noticeable.

But, yeah, it's not like an extra 20-30W for a non-overclocked consumer chip is gonna really show up on your power bill if you're not running it 24/7.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 1, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Some Goon posted:

At a certain point the gains are small enough all they're doing is enhancing ones epeen, and epeen is for dorks.

You rang?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DrDork posted:

You rang?

If I have an E-rection lasting longer than 4 hours, what software should I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Some Goon posted:

If I have an E-rection lasting longer than 4 hours, what software should I use?

Nothing, it sounds like a hardware issue :smug: