Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

Lyon posted:

Haha glad someone appreciated it! Since you’re here... in sad Hayden news you recently did not get your dream job (would have involved a pay cut if that rings a bell). The second box pass recently began (only one direction this time), secret santa designees were assigned, and the thread is gripped by cuban-mania which is why I ended up placing an order myself last week I think.

Haha, I remember that! I wound up getting a job in that industry elsewhere in town early 2013. I've changed companies since then, and I'm still making less than I did as a bartender, but I'm significantly happier. Not to mention my current job is still rolling along in the 'rona times, while bars are closed and restaurants are seriously struggling.

I get not wanting to support the US available versions of Cuban brands, and I've certainly never been impressed by the Dominican Cohibas, but I did really enjoy the Romeo y Julieta reservas and the H. Upmann vintage cameroons when I was first getting back into cigars years back. Both flavorful medium bodied sticks, fairly affordable, and I could find smaller gauge vitolas easily around me which was a big plus. I don't really care for anything over a 55, and very rarely smoke them. The only real exception is the occasional nub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I cut all the foam out of my old oasis and filled it with heartfelt beads. I still needed a ton of extra beads for my fridge

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking a Carlos Torano Signature Collection and the smoke is, rough? I’ve been intentionally smoking as slow as possible and it’s still feels abrasive. The flavor is good but man there’s like a sandpaper vibe to this or something. The taste is all chocolate and enjoyable but I think I’m going to call it quits early on this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's a bummer! I've only ever had the Torano Vault, and just a few of those.

I did find something...troubling:

20" x 80

:wtc:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

NewFatMike posted:

20" x 80

Man that’s a long lancero type thi- wait what the gently caress do you mean 80 ring gauge :stare:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It needs a human sized guillotine cutter.

"Let them smoke Davidoffs"

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

20" x 80

Who’s game to review?

Just need 10 hrs

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Now that you mention time, I *am* going on my first proper vacation in seven years later this month...

E: I've said a lot of dumb stuff in this thread but that is not happening lmao

EE: that gray spot in there is a loving quarter gat drat

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 1, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That thing has to weigh around a half pound. Do they sell a special stand to help you hold it while you smoke?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:siren: ALERT :siren:

My B&M has the Hors D'Age version of it :stare:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahahah holy poo poo what does it cost?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
A story in two parts...

NewFatMike posted:

Now that you mention time, I *am* going on my first proper vacation in seven years later this month...

E: I've said a lot of dumb stuff in this thread but that is not happening lmao

EE: that gray spot in there is a loving quarter gat drat

The hubris of man to spit in the eye of god.

NewFatMike posted:

:siren: ALERT :siren:

My B&M has the Hors D'Age version of it :stare:

The vengeance of a cruel and wrathful god wreaked upon man.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo what does it cost?

Sounds like $40, but he needs to check.

I am....enthralled.

I may buy it and ask the owner to keep it there until such time as I can totally ruin myself with it. Maybe my next area Habanos meetup after the 'roni...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Please keep us updated, that's loving hilarious.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've only had the Corojo Toro by Oscar, but it remains one of my favorite cigars to this day. It was like sucking on an old leather baseball glove. If that sounds like your thing I'd go with the Oscar.

I smoked one of these lanceros tonight, and it was loving spectacular. Like you said, strong leather flavor was the bass note throughout, in a way that reminded me of old book bindings. The thing is, the cigar kept changing on me. There was some pepper to start out, then dusty leather, then some sweetness like brown sugar and molasses, then something like pine resin, then (I swear to god) just a hint of bubblegum, then some wet oak leaves. Really wonderful smoke, I cannot wait to have more of them. The burn was totally flawless, never wandered at all, and the draw was just a touch firm, which felt appropriate to the narrow ring gauge, and regulated the smoking heat perfectly. I think this is one of my new favorite cigars, honestly. Now I want to try the rest of the line (there's a Connecticut, a Sumatra, and a maduro). Plus, the raw tobacco leaf covering smells wonderful.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
The Leaf Connecticut was one of my favorite Connecticuts in recent memory. Not sure it’s worth the $9.50 or whatever I paid for it at my B&M but it was a super good smoke. Speaking of, I’m popping into my B&M tomorrow to pick up a few of the new My Father Fonseca sticks and maybe I’ll grab a Leaf Corojo as well. Applications are still open for an adult to control my cigar spending, it doesn’t pay much but think of all the free Famous Smoke exclusives you can try!

Edit: What’s the fastest way to re-humidify a Boveda pack? I have two that are pretty crusty and I put them in a ziplock bag with some cigars and a big bowl of distilled water but the process appears to be taking longer than I thought.

I smoked an Alec Bradley Project 40 which was probably a mistake because I think my tastebuds were shot after that Carlos Torano earlier. It might have been a good cigar but I don’t think I could tell either way right now.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 1, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

Edit: What’s the fastest way to re-humidify a Boveda pack? I have two that are pretty crusty and I put them in a ziplock bag with some cigars and a big bowl of distilled water but the process appears to be taking longer than I thought.

That's pretty much the only way to do it, sadly. I just did that for a few bags for about a week in my travel humidor.

Hygrometer update: one of them was spot on, the other was reading 5% over, so I've got humidity in my humidor anywhere from like 55-67%. Looks like the Cigar Oasis is a happening sooner than later.

Those Leafs sound good, friends! Really fantastic descriptions. Can't wait to hear more reviews!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kenning posted:

I smoked one of these lanceros tonight, and it was loving spectacular.

Word! I'll have to check out the vitolas.

Smoked a Bolivar Royal Corona last night. Haven't had one of these in over a year it's definitely aging, but not sure if for the better. I've only got 2 more so I may continue to sit on them for another year or 3 and see what happens. None the less it was still a good smoke.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Getting ready for that Hors d'Ages Stravaganza

I'm looking for a Cigar Oasis, but apparently since the last time I checked they only have wifi enabled ones. Why must we live in hell???

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
PT6A did you discontinue your cigar tracking app or did it change names?

Edit:

Swung by the B&M and am smoking the new My Father Fonseca. Reminds me of the Blue a lot but I make no promises on this accuracy. I’m still in the first third and it’s got the standard pepper blast but it may develop very differently. It was a lot of earth and some leather with the pepper mingled in, it was very good. I’d say more towards the black but with more pepper maybe? I found the black to be kind of bland but maybe I had a bad stick.

I also picked up the Leaf Corojo and a LFD Airbender.

Edit2: 6/17/2013 the day S.W.O.R.D. Agent entered the fold after smoking his second ever cigar with his step father.

Edit3: AJF Dias de Gloria, decent, I couldn’t tell you what the flavors were from this morning.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 2, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh maaaan I have to wait a week before I get some MF Fonnies! Can't wait!

Flor de las Antillas Robustos and MF Centurion H-2K-CT got in today! The cellophane actually held around the cigars, and an hour or three after popping them in the humidor, the humidity actually seems OK. Pulled them from Atlantic Cigar. They have some great deals, and these were like $93 and $103/box respectively.

I have...uhhh...done the bad and actually checked out some stuff I'm interested in on Cigar Auctioneer. Eyeing down a 50 cab of some of my favorites for a friggin steal. I'll let you guys know on Friday when the auction is ending (lot of 5) JIC anyone else goes for it 😹

I am spending on less expensive smokes this month, but boy howdy am I gonna be spending on some smokes. drat near ran out the other day except for the super special stuff because last month was expeeeeeeeeeeensive (3D printer + partner's birthday present + friend had an emergency). I did, however, find that the Oliva Serie V Lanceros can get to $190/box of 36 which has me salivating.

I'm a monster :negative:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a AJF San Lotano Oval and if you like leathery cigars this is probably a good choice. Tasted like I was smoking an old baseball mitt. There was a section in the middle with a lot of dried fruit flavor, not so much that I pulled out of the smoke but it left a taste in my mouth sort of reminiscent of having eaten a nutragrain bar. Sort of a bready fruit flavor.

Also I’m nearing the end of the old thread, I feel like it’s reminiscent of the fossil fuel reserves and soon there will be no cigar content reserves for me to plunder. It’s also amazing the first 2/3+ of the thread is from 2010-13, cigar content production has been failing for a long time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

TBF this is a pretty niche hobby with a.... visibly toxic reputation. A little old fashioned, too, but wtv.

Having a Centurion H-2K-CT right off the truck and this is a comically good cigar why did I ever let myself run out lol

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had a Cohiba Lancero from the diplomatic gift humidor queued up to celebrate my first house purchase last night.

My son had other plans for me and wouldn’t go to bed until 9pm so I settled for an “ok” h upman petite corona. It was just good so I was kind of bummed but at least I didn’t rush a cigar I’ve been saving for 7 years.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hell yeah! That'll be a good one for the time you spend on it. Congrats on your home! Hoping to post similarly in a year or two.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

TBF this is a pretty niche hobby with a.... visibly toxic reputation. A little old fashioned, too, but wtv.

Having a Centurion H-2K-CT right off the truck and this is a comically good cigar why did I ever let myself run out lol

It’s true. Honestly it’s probably more about the state of Something Awful than it is about cigars though. It seems like there are a lot of forums out there but trying to find decent communities is a pain in the butt.

You loaded up on some good stuff. I really like both the El Centurion H-2K-CT and the Flor de las Antillas. I’ve been meaning to track down a Flor de las Antillas maduro to try as well. Thank you for the El Centurion H-2K-CT recommendation as I still have never seen it mentioned anywhere else and it’s great.

I firmly regret my early sampler binge as I have at least two full Tupperware containers I don’t ever see myself getting around to smoking. I guess as long as I keep the cigars in decent condition I’ll eventually find a use for them. Maybe if we ever do a secret santa or box pass down the road I can send someone out a ton of aged mediocre cigars! I have a buddy out of work that I’m going to ship a bunch of cigars to so that should clear up some of them.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I need to try some of these el centurions in the corona size.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's what I just got! :discourse:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Has anyone ever created some sort of box split template for on here? e.g. a google doc where people could say interested in splitting a box of XYZ or interested in a box split of up to $75/per person. It’s kind of dead in here so I don’t know how useful that would be but particularly since I’m dipping my toes into the cuban market I’d be down to split some stuff.

Ophidian posted:

I need to try some of these el centurions in the corona size.

I can probably send you one later this month if you want.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’ve always found “who wants to do a box split” then taking it to email/PM works best.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'll say, I suspect my buddies and I would be down to go in on some Cubans if you're ordering.

Also, I get the thing about having a bunch of cigars you no longer want to smoke. I've got some Gurkhas sitting around that I'm definitely not going to smoke, but I haven't had the heart to throw out. I think I do just need to ditch them though, there's no way I'm going to choose one of those over a Leaf or anything My Father, or Diesel or a Nub.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I’ve always found “who wants to do a box split” then taking it to email/PM works best.

I guess I would probably be in for a monthly split forever (until I’m not) is sort of what I was thinking whether it’s non-cuban or cuban. Trying to make it easier for me to find other suckers :).

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy

Lyon posted:

It’s also amazing the first 2/3+ of the thread is from 2010-13, cigar content production has been failing for a long time.

2013 is also around the time the admins shuffled around all the megathreads and we wound up in TCC. A lot of regulars just stopped checking the thread after that, and it definitely slowed wayyyy down.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, TCC was a ridiculous place to send the cigar thread, moving it to A/T has dramatically improved things already, and I think we're much more likely to pick up new posters here.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Kenning posted:

I'll say, I suspect my buddies and I would be down to go in on some Cubans if you're ordering.

Also, I get the thing about having a bunch of cigars you no longer want to smoke. I've got some Gurkhas sitting around that I'm definitely not going to smoke, but I haven't had the heart to throw out. I think I do just need to ditch them though, there's no way I'm going to choose one of those over a Leaf or anything My Father, or Diesel or a Nub.

I gave my bags of random cigars (it was a garbage bag full) to my cousin and uncle.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Is there a way to send cigars to troops overseas or anything like that? The stuff I’m trying to get rid of is mostly junk to decent quality but I’m never going to smoke any of it. I’d rather send it somewhere where someone might appreciate it or they can throw it out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ophidian posted:

I gave my bags of random cigars (it was a garbage bag full) to my cousin and uncle.

I can't think of anyone I'm ambivalent enough about to give some lovely cigars to, alas.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Kenning posted:

I can't think of anyone I'm ambivalent enough about to give some lovely cigars to, alas.

These were not lovely cigars. I just stopped smoking non Cuban cigars and I offered them up to people who I knew would appreciate them.

Liga privadas, padron anniversarios, TONS of champagnes etc. there were some dog rockets on there but anything they didn’t want they didn’t smoke.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

Is there a way to send cigars to troops overseas or anything like that? The stuff I’m trying to get rid of is mostly junk to decent quality but I’m never going to smoke any of it. I’d rather send it somewhere where someone might appreciate it or they can throw it out.

There sure is! https://www.cigarsforwarriors.org/

I'm also in a place where I've accumulated a bunch of stuff that I wouldn't buy today. Had my first kid and wife was laid off in the past year so I've been smoking them anyway. Interesting thing is that most of them aren't great but passable, but I have found a few that have been drat good. Had a Sam Leccia El Luchador that was fantastic. I've been raging against the move from traditional broadleaf to Mexican San Andres, but maybe the San Andres just needs more time resting...IDK.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My partner and I would be interested in some Cuban group buys. One of my preferred sites has flat rate shipping that hurts for individual buys.

Probably not until October or November, though. August was way too expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
From running box splits before: people have various definitions on what they consider a split. “Oh hey, I’m really interested in this cigar can you get that on the order” “a box of that runs $500” “oh man I only want 5 then”.

I’m a fan of the the 50/50 splits, not parting out a bunch of 1-5 packs. And if you only want to try one, don’t suggest it for a split. Also if you want something and nobody else does, or somebody backs out before they arrive, be prepared to absorb a lot of cigars and costs.