Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone seen slow rsync (updated through home-brew) on Catalina? Its driving me nuts.

Ive got 3.1.3 on my local macOS install and on a vm running centos8. Exact same version.

I use ansible which uses the synchronize module which is a wrapper around rsync. It's slow as gently caress on Catalina but lightning fast on CentOS 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's up to 3.2.3 in my homebrew.. did ya make sure all its dependencies are updated too?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I feel like it's finally time to upgrade my old MBP to Mojave. Going to hurt my fingers keeping them crossed until it's over.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mojave is legit. Unless your MBP is from like 2006 I doubt you'll have any issues.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mojave is great, no reason not to use it. it's not crapalina.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Binary Badger posted:

It's up to 3.2.3 in my homebrew.. did ya make sure all its dependencies are updated too?

Thanks. I just updated and I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I transfer to a remote server.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just had my first instance of the "balance mysteriously shifts slightly to the left for an audio input" bug in 15 years of using OSX. Glad to see that it's still out there, perplexing users after all these years.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

American McGay posted:

Just had my first instance of the "balance mysteriously shifts slightly to the left for an audio input" bug in 15 years of using OSX. Glad to see that it's still out there, perplexing users after all these years.

I thought I remember reading this was caused by an errant, strange keyboard shortcut, like ctrl + shift + cmd + option + v + left or something? It was just subtle enough that you wouldn’t notice until you’d done it a handful of times??

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Haha that happened to me on my iBook G4 constantly in like 2005. Haven't seen it since on my iMac but it's heartwarming knowing it's still out there.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

American McGay posted:

Balance Lock

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My Mojave update went smoothly because I had already done it. :eng99:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently got new Bluetooth headphones, and now my work MacBook is periodically starting Music without any apparent input from me. I don't have admin access, but the help desk can temporarily elevate themselves if needed. How can I get that program to stop launching?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

hooah posted:

I recently got new Bluetooth headphones, and now my work MacBook is periodically starting Music without any apparent input from me. I don't have admin access, but the help desk can temporarily elevate themselves if needed. How can I get that program to stop launching?

This things supposedly still applies to Music.app, and might help you: https://www.howtogeek.com/274345/stop-itunes-from-launching-when-you-press-play-on-your-macs-keyboard/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I already tried that. I don't know what's triggering it; I use an external keyboard, so I'm definitely not hitting anything on the touch bar.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Bluetooth headphones are sending a “play” signal upon connect/reconnect and macOS interprets that as “play music.” Only happens on Bluetooth devices that initiate an unprompted play command thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Last Chance posted:

The Bluetooth headphones are sending a “play” signal upon connect/reconnect and macOS interprets that as “play music.” Only happens on Bluetooth devices that initiate an unprompted play command thing.

Is there any way to tell the OS not to respond to those signals?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey I asked about that a while ago, I ended up temporarily disabling SIP using the recovery tool terminal and removing Music

however, after the most recent update, this no longer works! I'm very irritated.

However I should say that only an icon pops up on the dock, the program doesn't actually function or pop up so that's good at least.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I am crossposting this from the Hardware thread because it's probably more of a software issue.....

Guys I need Airplay / iPad help.

I am using my iPad to Airplay screen mirror to our big conference room.

It works extremely well. I use powerpoint for slides.

I have problems with YouTube videos though.

Whenever I move from PPT (ios) to Youtube, it gives me a black spinning icon never works.

If I copy and paste the URL into Safari, then youtube plays fine!!!!

If I play FULLSCREEN in Safari it breaks.............

So again as long as YouTube loads the normal window in Safari it's okay but if I click the fullscreen button it dies....

Any past experience with this stuff?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

This might sound stupid, but have you tried (even as a diagnostic step) setting the default browser to Chrome of Firefox and seeing if that changes the result?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I am crossposting this from the Hardware thread because it's probably more of a software issue.....

Guys I need Airplay / iPad help.

I am using my iPad to Airplay screen mirror to our big conference room.

It works extremely well. I use powerpoint for slides.

I have problems with YouTube videos though.

Whenever I move from PPT (ios) to Youtube, it gives me a black spinning icon never works.

If I copy and paste the URL into Safari, then youtube plays fine!!!!

If I play FULLSCREEN in Safari it breaks.............

So again as long as YouTube loads the normal window in Safari it's okay but if I click the fullscreen button it dies....

Any past experience with this stuff?

I had a similar issue when my home internet wan't working and I tried to AirPlay to my AppleTV. Screen mirroring, AirPlaying photos and things local to my iPhone worked, screen mirrored YouTube worked, but fullscreening or AirPlaying videos from the YT app would cause the spinning icon.

From my understanding after Googling around, AirPlaying remote content requires the AppleTV device to be online since it's actually loading the video from the internet on the AppleTV and no longer using your phone as a proxy.

If the device you're AirPlaying to is not online, you're not going to be able to Airplay remote content.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone else that uses OneDrive have it hogging the CPU? Finder, OneDrive, distnoted all love to take up huge amounts of CPU. I open a file, they skyrocket while OneDrive decides it has to process 1120 files. It takes 60s to do so, and then repeats that 3 times. Each time counting up to about 1120.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so to follow-up, is anyone else no longer able to uninstall native Mac apps with SIP disabled?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Soo the latest Big Sur update seems to have partially bricked my 2015 MBP. I can get as far as logging in but usually within a minute , the fans flare up and then I get the black screen of death.

I haven't been able to keep the machine up long enough to copy the message but it's something like

inconsistent ool/copyout size

And involved endpointsecurityd

Lots of people seem to be getting this but the advice is usually "uninstall Norton's". I've never installed Norton's or any virus checker (and was under the impression Norton's is a windows based virus checker anyway)

I'm guessing it MIGHT be the remnants of little snitch (which I removed a while back until big sur and little snitch have their compatibility back in order. It could also be the Fuse FS kept. I'm not aware of any other third party kexts on there.

Any suggestions on remedying this that don't involve formatting the HD (I have a fair bit of I backed up work on there)

Edit: Fuckit, reinstall time.

edit2: Well this just got distressing. Still happens after Big Sur reinstall. And the downgrade to Catalina involves formatting the disk. I might be well hosed.

edit3: I found a script that just kills endpointsecurityd in a loop and it stops the crashing (Had to get in via safemode and drop it in. Now to find whatever cooked nonsense is causing it.

Unfortunately its not helping that when I type

(my username)@MBP-2015 ~ % systemextensionsctl list

I get
code:
2 extension(s)
--- com.apple.system_extension.network_extension
enabled	active	teamID	bundleID (version)	name	[state]
2020-09-01 18:05:03.857 systemextensionsctl[4066:33016] Completely failed to resolve bundle info
zsh: abort      systemextensionsctl list
gently caress my life.

If I could get systemextensionsctl working I think I might be in for a shot at fixing this slut of a problem, but its got me beat. And having a bash script constantly killing security is definately a feel-bad solution

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 1, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thankfully you can just reformat the test device you've installed the beta of a new operating system on. There shouldn't be any sensitive or needed data on it, anyway.

That's probably the easiest way out.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Thankfully you can just reformat the test device you've installed the beta of a new operating system on.

that was mean

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol oops, I didn't read that one line that said that there was still needed data on there. What a bad idea.

In these days where I'm holding off on major upgrades for both Windows and macOS for a month or two in order for bugs to be ironed out, the idea of installing a piece of beta software on a main device should scare the poo poo out of you.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Thankfully you can just reformat the test device you've installed the beta of a new operating system on. There shouldn't be any sensitive or needed data on it, anyway.

That's probably the easiest way out.

Yes its not like some of us have jobs that require us to develop software for macs and keeping up to speed with changes to the system

:rolleyes:

I solved it anyway. For reference, since this is hitting alout of people heres what I did;-

Turn off System Integrity Protection then *really quickly* after booting

systemextensionsctl reset

then reboot.

Stability script if it doesnt work (Copied from elsewhere)

enter this into a shell script while in safe mode

code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
function kill_endpoint_security {
  local endpoint_security_process=`ps -ef | grep 'endpointsecurityd' | grep -v 'grep'`
  if [[ "$endpoint_security_process" != "" ]]; then
    local endpoint_security_pid=`echo $endpoint_security_process | cut -d " " -f 2`
    if [[ "$endpoint_security_pid" != "" ]]; then
      kill -9 $endpoint_security_pid
      echo "kill endpointsecurityd pid: ${endpoint_security_pid}, result: $?"
    fi
  fi
}
while true; do
  kill_endpoint_security
  sleep 1
done
Use automator to get it to run immediately on login. This is a loving ugly fix, but it at least keeps the machine from crashing until a better fix comes along.

It seems to be the new endpoint security apis are borked in dramatic ways. Hopefully apple will fix that by the next beta.

Discussion here: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/657905
(Its mostly hitting people who have norton and symantic antivirus installed for some reason, but in my case I think it was the remains of little snitch that broke it)

edit: That comment still irks me. I *DID* do a reinstall. It didn't work. It somehow picked up the bad kext from the previous install.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 1, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

duck monster posted:

Yes its not like some of us have jobs that require us to develop software for macs and keeping up to speed with changes to the system

Yes, I am one of those people, but I have a spare Macbook for that exact purpose. If your job isn't providing test hardware and just giving you one device, then that's a bit hosed.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
My dude(ette) that is what VMs are for, its 2020, for gently caress's sake, especially considering the well-known still-buggy state of Big Sur. [You have to assume they're testing half-baked measures to prepare for the ARM transition, come on]

In problems introduced by what is supposed to be the current gold-master of osx, 10.15.6 has broken the display link driver for my Totu dock and the HDMI output can't be rotated to portrait mode. Anyone have any thoughts or a workaround?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Yes, I am one of those people, but I have a spare Macbook for that exact purpose. If your job isn't providing test hardware and just giving you one device, then that's a bit hosed.

The other macs a 2010 mac that doesnt even run Mojave. Freelancing makes for tight budgets in a pandemic, and most of the work I'm picking up is preparedness for Big Sur

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Understood. Running/booting it from an external drive is also an option.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe also wait until Symantec decides to start supporting Big Sur, I think their policy is not to develop anything for an OS until it's released, and it's probably going to be way incompatible with Big Sur until they figure out enough differences in the security model from Catalina to get it working without complaint again.

The last time I looked at their compatibility grid, Big Sur isn't even mentioned.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Understood. Running/booting it from an external drive is also an option.

Yeah, Im reevaluating my backup strategy as I speak. I figure a timemachine and rsyncing out to an ext host should about do it. I already git my code off to bitbucket, but the non code stuff I need a few alternatives.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Maybe also wait until Symantec decides to start supporting Big Sur, I think their policy is not to develop anything for an OS until it's released, and it's probably going to be way incompatible with Big Sur until they figure out enough differences in the security model from Catalina to get it working without complaint again.

The last time I looked at their compatibility grid, Big Sur isn't even mentioned.

Not using symantec. This thing seems to whacking *all* the firewalls.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Thinking about setting up a home server for file storage, also have a 2012 Mini bought from an online retailer that's in good condition.

Is it worth buying Apple's server app off the App Store at this point? Or is there something other than macOS Server that's a good fit?

No, not buying a QNAP or Synology, probably going to go JBOD as a poor just don't wanna pony up.

Wanna store files and maybe use as a Time Machine backup over a wired (power line) setup.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Thinking about setting up a home server for file storage, also have a 2012 Mini bought from an online retailer that's in good condition.

Is it worth buying Apple's server app off the App Store at this point? Or is there something other than macOS Server that's a good fit?

No, not buying a QNAP or Synology, probably going to go JBOD as a poor just don't wanna pony up.

Wanna store files and maybe use as a Time Machine backup over a wired (power line) setup.

I've traditionally just used a Lunix server with netatalk setup to serve a time machine. It would double as an XBMC server for the TV. I kind of stupped running one when I got the Fire TV stick since Netflix/Amazon kinda ended my piracy career.

I might set one up off a Raspbery Pi if I can get the performance acceptable

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

In problems introduced by what is supposed to be the current gold-master of osx, 10.15.6 has broken the display link driver for my Totu dock and the HDMI output can't be rotated to portrait mode. Anyone have any thoughts or a workaround?

Didja try downloading DisplayLink Manager v.1.1 released on 8/20 that supposedly now supports Big Sur beta and 10.15.x?

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

No reason the get macOS server, they added time machine sharing to the base os. Everything else it offers is done better with homebrew or docker.
Also I have a 2012 mac mini and I will probably switch it to linux because big sur wont run on it officially.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Didja try downloading DisplayLink Manager v.1.1 released on 8/20 that supposedly now supports Big Sur beta and 10.15.x?

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

First thing I did after JAMF pushed the OS update.
code:
1.1.0 Build 5.4.91
Still no options for rotation.

e: also doesn't change if I default the resolution or mess with the refresh rate.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saw this on HN today:

https://lunar.fyi/

Lunar
Intelligent adaptive brightness
for your external display