Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

poo poo I didn't know it was a Native American thing; I just went over a plot synopsis and apparently its some monster one of the main characters accidentally summons? Like I thought it was an actual dude going around just calling himself Demon Bear unironically, like Demon Cop but with better(?) special effects and no lawn chairs.

The story arc ('The Demon Bear Saga') the New Mutants film is based on is really good and can be read as a standalone, if anyone hasn't read it already and is remotely interested. The art is amazing, the only real prior knowledge you need going in is a ballpark idea of what 'mutants' and 'x-men' are, and its a real solid horror-ish story about some teens being besieged in a hospital in the middle of a snowstorm by a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Red Bones posted:

The story arc ('The Demon Bear Saga') the New Mutants film is based on is really good and can be read as a standalone, if anyone hasn't read it already and is remotely interested. The art is amazing, the only real prior knowledge you need going in is a ballpark idea of what 'mutants' and 'x-men' are, and its a real solid horror-ish story about some teens being besieged in a hospital in the middle of a snowstorm by a monster.

DEMON BEAR

I read those three issues yesterday morning and they were certainly words i read? It opens with Professor Xavier getting blasted by the army which is never brought up again, and flashes over to aliens in space a few times, and Claremont sure did love to write his heavy accents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Claremont is infamous for introducing three plot threads with every one resolved and assuming he'll always be in charge enough to follow up on them up to a decade later. Also the bad accents.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The demon bear is there to dominate the twink mutants

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The demon bear is there to dominate the twink mutants

(Actual panel from Empyre: Emperor Hulking #1)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Len posted:

DEMON BEAR

TBF, Bill Sienkiewicz is more like an abstract expressionist who also does comics. It's easy to take something of his out of context and goof on it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Claremont is infamous for introducing three plot threads with every one resolved and assuming he'll always be in charge enough to follow up on them up to a decade later. Also the bad accents.

Well that and finding a reason to have Storm naked every third issue.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Young Freud posted:

TBF, Bill Sienkiewicz is more like an abstract expressionist who also does comics. It's easy to take something of his out of context and goof on it.

Yeah the bear gets more expressionist as the story goes on, it's a cool effect. When I say the art is good I mean more like this:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nobody better talk poo poo about Bill Sienkiewicz's art.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I laughed really hard at the comments Sly is responding to here

https://twitter.com/murderwizard/status/1300160957436563457

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This movie is cursed

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1300062418345832449

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Watch it turn out that New Mutants was supposed to screen there and they switched last minute.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The ceiling didn’t fall down, that’s its original location :tinfoil:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mierenneuker posted:

The ceiling didn’t fall down, that’s its original location :tinfoil:
Something something entropy, something inversion.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

From that picture it looks like a lot more poeple would've gotten hurt, sheesh. :eyepop:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Social distancing comes through in the clutch!

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 1, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Reviews are going up for Antebellum and they aren’t good. The A.V. Club review said the third act twist was reminiscent of M. Night Shyamalan, so three guesses as to what the twist is.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

aware of dog posted:

Reviews are going up for Antebellum and they aren’t good. The A.V. Club review said the third act twist was reminiscent of M. Night Shyamalan, so three guesses as to what the twist is.

Either it's actually a secret racist community or they're all ghosts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The MSJ posted:

Either it's actually a secret racist community or they're all ghosts.

Aliens

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Figured it'd be the modern day was the dream of a slave.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
It's actually raceplay therapy like that Broadway play

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

You mean like that Travolta movie?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

aware of dog posted:

No Shepard, YOU are the Antebellums!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Today I saw The Personal History of David Copperfield in an actual theater and it was very enjoyable. I recommend it wholeheartedly. I did love how the trailers all had very vague dates.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Today I saw The Personal History of David Copperfield in an actual theater and it was very enjoyable. I recommend it wholeheartedly. I did love how the trailers all had very vague dates.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEkIzospEn2

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

aware of dog posted:

If it is in fact that, why make it a twist? Why not reveal that in like the first 10 minutes and make that part of the story?

Hell I figured that was the premise from the trailers. Like I thought that was the hook.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

This is my huge pet peave with Interstellar. The soundtrack is amazing, its a genuine masterpiece, and they almost ruined it in mixing.

You can say this with like 5 Nolan movies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention all the bass Nolan typically uses causes a lot of rumbling which is kinda neat for a while. It gets old.

It's kinda like the loudness wars. I get the effect he's going for but ultimately there's only so much you can throw at the audience's ears at once.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even the official motion poster keeps changing the release date.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Not to mention all the bass Nolan typically uses causes a lot of rumbling which is kinda neat for a while. It gets old.

It's kinda like the loudness wars. I get the effect he's going for but ultimately there's only so much you can throw at the audience's ears at once.

https://twitter.com/InsaneLetterbox/status/1297174934876233730?s=19

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 1, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So what's the twist in Antebellum all of the reviews are teases.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

Just a hunch but I’m betting it’s basically a The Village situation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All of the white characters are black, and all of the black characters are white.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All of the white characters are black, and all of the black characters are white.

Ready player one: slavery level

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Game of Thrones Showrunners Adapting The Three-Body Problem for Netflix

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Good god almighty.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good god almighty.

Yeah, how on earth did they land the Three-Body Problem after getting fired from everything that moves?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

I’m guessing there’s no time travel and the present-day scenes are flashbacks while the plantation scenes are actually the future. Like we’ll suddenly see someone with a mobile phone and it turns out it’s 2030 or something. Either there’s a new civil war or slavery is just legal again everywhere.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 1, 2020

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah, how on earth did they land the Three-Body Problem after getting fired from everything that moves?

Wealthy white men failing upwards is one of America’s most sacred traditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I mean TBP is a "finished" work so theres less room for them to gently caress up.