Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Trudis posted:

Can I post some ships from my own franchise in here?

Are they your favorite?\

E: HF that website. Also is it just me or do none of those (as far as I scrolled) actually look like an imperial rifle at all?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sophie's Spaceships

(Post the spaceships)

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Ok, here's some of my favorites.

This is the Malleon Venture Class. One of the things about our ships is that they can project bubbles of atmosphere, which allows for two open flight decks, one on each hull. Its got plenty of cannons for broadsides, but the real firepower is in the massive forward cannon that runs along the bottom flight deck.

This is a Feron Wasp. The Feron design their ships really differently, with a sort of the enemy is down mentality. They like ramming and swarming/boarding, and its got articulable shielding that can also be used to tear open hulls for boarding parties. It's retracted in the image, but it does have a stinger at the bottom that can disable a ship's systems if they jam it in, kinda like a virus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a Trek note, Discovery was redesigned a bit when they changed producer from Fuller (old school DS9/Voy writer) to Kurtzman (JJTrek guy). This is the fuller one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK86TRPSs8

Gotta say I prefer it, although the longer nacelles they ended up going with are much better to balance it out. This one could much more easily be a sister ship to the movie star trek ships.

Speaking of the movie ships, I'm very sad that we never really got a chance to appreciate the original version of the movie Enterprise. As-made, the hull had a reflective sheen that gave it a slightly metallic look and was also meant to be a bit pearlescent and cause faint prismatic rainbow reflections in white light.

But they couldn't bring it out that well in TMP and then the reflection was basically totally incompatible with ILM's methods of shooting the model for Trek 2 and onwards, so they just spray-painted it with a matting paint layer to stop it being shiny and make it a dull grey.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 28, 2020

munce
Oct 23, 2010

All of these.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

yeah. they were just talking about old starwars guns being ships so i think its open season

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

munce posted:

All of these.

Hell yeah.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Can't Beat the lineup on Subspace Continuum. tons of time wasted playing this game. I always loved the jav

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just built the S Gundam Booster from the Ensemble set and why is there not an overly elaborate tabletop game using these?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

munce posted:

All of these.

Your buddy who is just a little too good with the Orz ship and its stupid turret.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I always thought the Kestrel from the Escape Velocity games was a classically cool endgame ship design. Would be cool to see a modern take on it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Beyond its appearance in EV: Nova?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
EVN was almost 20 years ago dude, not sure that counts as "modern." But yes, there it is, though I think it was outclassed in that particular game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mordja posted:

EVN was almost 20 years ago dude

gently caress

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Polaron posted:

gently caress

Don't feel bad, I still love me some Freespace/Freespace 2 and its just as old.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Someone posted the Horatio ships from Endless Space 2 earlier in the thread. How about we double down on the beauty, and wash the utilitarian dirt from our eyes, with the resplendant glory of the Horatio ships from Endless Space 1?

Look at this goddamn dreadnaught! Look at it and weep!

Endless Space manages to fit in the trope of the alien race that emphasises aesthetics in a pretty clever way. It's just Horatio. Imagine if Elon Musk was actually smart, and had a real sense of style rather than whatever art fart lead to the Cyber Truck. Now multiply his wealth and power a thousand fold, and give him access to a planet with advanced cloning facilities. This is the Horatio.

They pay extra for all their ships to make them look this good because, in the words of the game mechanic, that's "The Price of Beauty".

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

There's an official remaster for EV Override in the works and I can't wait to see how they update the ship designs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bug Squash posted:

They pay extra for all their ships to make them look this good because, in the words of the game mechanic, that's "The Price of Beauty".

According to forums lore, that mechanic was named by a goon.

Cravers remain my favorite ES faction but I really like the Sowers' ships; here's their corvette

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ThingOne posted:

There's an official remaster for EV Override in the works and I can't wait to see how they update the ship designs.

I remember that the designer was planning on making a sequel (with the UE and their allies fighting the Council) in the Nova engine a while back. Looks like he went with the Kickstarter route instead.

Override was always my favorite of the three so I am super hyped for this.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll just say it: I'd like an Endless game with all its great art but as an RTS.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mordja posted:

I'll just say it: I'd like an Endless game with all its great art but as an RTS.

It's a loving shame that RTS is such a dead genre.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Tulip posted:

It's a loving shame that RTS is such a dead genre.

It really is, maybe Age of Empires II is the last great one...

Where is my SciFi-RTS with pew pews and zoom zooms
(Sins of a Solar be damned and its 100hr+ games)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Balsa posted:

It really is, maybe Age of Empires II is the last great one...

Where is my SciFi-RTS with pew pews and zoom zooms
(Sins of a Solar be damned and its 100hr+ games)

Rise of Nations and Age of Mythology came after AOE2 :mad: Agreed on SoaSE, it's a drag.

(also I'd say Red Dragon is pretty fantastic but it really never got a large enough fanbase to be considered anything other than dead for non-Nazi purposes, plus it's just kind of goddamn weird)

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Got to hand it to the Starfury of Babylon 5 fame, it's so good that even NASA asked if they could use it's design since it was so well done. Straczynski said they could use its design as long as they did one thing, kept the name. They agreed.

So who knows, maybe we'll actually see/hear of one, some day.

We should have seen updated models in the show itself ages ago, it was made knowing that technology and CGI would improve so the show as created with the intent to have better looking ships/stations etc as time passed but in true Warner Bros fashion they later said no despite the fact it was making them hundreds of millions. Those early day DVD B5 sets were pricey as gently caress.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Polaron posted:

I remember that the designer was planning on making a sequel (with the UE and their allies fighting the Council) in the Nova engine a while back. Looks like he went with the Kickstarter route instead.

Override was always my favorite of the three so I am super hyped for this.

Yeah, I played Nova the most as a kid because I had a Windows at home but I've always enjoyed Override the most. Even though Nova has the largest map in the series it feels small because all the stories are so interconnected; you can't just fly off and get caught up in some completely unrelated conflict like you can in Override.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I always liked the Emalgha and their little wooden spaceships :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

I always liked the Emalgha and their little wooden spaceships :3:

Oh, reminds me of how much I love my lil spaceship in Outer Wilds.

My cozy little home in space. I forgive you for driving me into the sun so many times.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ThingOne posted:

Yeah, I played Nova the most as a kid because I had a Windows at home but I've always enjoyed Override the most. Even though Nova has the largest map in the series it feels small because all the stories are so interconnected; you can't just fly off and get caught up in some completely unrelated conflict like you can in Override.

The main issue with Nova was that all of the factions were human. Sure, there were the wraith and those weird free-floating energy critters, but all of the governments were human-descended. It made everything feel small, like you said.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tulip posted:

According to forums lore, that mechanic was named by a goon.

that was meeeeeeeeee

it's the most noteworthy thing I've ever done.

(In ES one, the malus used to be called 'anti-expansionist' but the Horatio are an expansionist race so I posted a thread on the official forums saying it should be changed to something like 'the price of beauty' to reflect that their ships cost more because they have to spend so much time on the huge Horatio mosaics and stained glass and stuff.)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

The Drake battlecruiser in EVE is one of my favorite ships, both for its usefulness in-game and its sleek, aggressive styling.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

Vernii posted:

The Drake battlecruiser in EVE is one of my favorite ships, both for its usefulness in-game and its sleek, aggressive styling.

Too bad it got nerfed into meme status...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hi there everybody! The thread tag felt like it really wasn't best set as shitpost so I've switched it up a bit! Let me know if anybody has a better idea for a thread tag!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

L

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

reignofevil posted:

Hi there everybody! The thread tag felt like it really wasn't best set as shitpost so I've switched it up a bit! Let me know if anybody has a better idea for a thread tag!

Yea that was my fault, I forgot to select one before I posted the OP and I couldn't go back and edit it.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

From the latest EV Override Remake update

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
That's an interesting re-imagining of the UE Cruiser:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Polaron posted:

That's an interesting re-imagining of the UE Cruiser:

Oh cool, so they are redoing the graphics after all, despite not hitting that stretch goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

That is horrific.