Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also like a lot of things humans probably saw animals eating or avoiding certain plants and learned from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhazonLink posted:

i never read foraging guides about berries or other plants, but all the mushroom foraging ones also preface themselves with "yo find an expert or else."

And even then. Every few years in the Bay Area we get (usually) Russian immigrants foraging mushrooms and eating Amanita phalloides, a.k.a. the death angel, because something similar that is not poisonous grows in Eastern Europe. Last time, extra unfortunately, they made mushroom soup for their private nursing home.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I worked in the government docs section of my college's university and consistently the most popular document was a mushroom growing and identifying guide. It was also a pretty popular orientation class that people took regardless of where they were in their college education.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That was something I learned the hard way.
I was playing in the yard unsupervised as a 3yo, and ate a bunch growing in our yard.

Yeah, highly toxic. Had my stomach pumped.
I don't remember that- I remember being confused as why my Mom was yelling. We ate mushrooms all the time!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
„Don’t pick gilled mushrooms if you don’t have an adult accompanying you” was something that was drilled into my skull since I was in kindergarten. Would still probably live by it if I got lost in a forest in autumn. That is, until I find one of the mushroom pickers that come into the forest at 5 am

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And even then. Every few years in the Bay Area we get (usually) Russian immigrants foraging mushrooms and eating Amanita phalloides, a.k.a. the death angel, because something similar that is not poisonous grows in Eastern Europe. Last time, extra unfortunately, they made mushroom soup for their private nursing home.

This is something that keeps happening and it’s mind boggling because we have death caps here, and what it’s supposedly mistaken for is the parasol mushroom which looks absolutely nothing alike

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much drilled "You do NOT touch any mushroom you find. Get an adult." into my kids head.
As delicious as a lot of them are there are also more than enough rear end in a top hat shrooms that give you a really bad time if you played around with them and then put your fingers into your mouth.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was looking up amanitas, and I found the most wonderful phrase.

When cooking wild mushrooms, Dr Lebel says, "leave half for the coroner".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

I pretty much drilled "You do NOT touch any mushroom you find. Get an adult." into my kids head.
As delicious as a lot of them are there are also more than enough rear end in a top hat shrooms that give you a really bad time if you played around with them and then put your fingers into your mouth.

it's kinda interesting tho how people who have eaten death caps/etc and lived through it said they actually taste really good.

i guess less people would die eating them if they tasted bad.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The correct answer is to never pick mushrooms because they're gross. Why eat mushrooms when you can eat pizza instead?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

grittyreboot posted:

The correct answer is to never pick mushrooms because they're gross. Why eat mushrooms when you can eat pizza instead?

Have pizza with mushrooms, thus improving the pizza.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The problem with learning from animals is often they can eat things humans can't. You never see a fox who's just raided a henhouse in the woods later making GBS threads himself inside out going "GOD, I FORGOT RAW CHICKEN WAS A BAD IDEA"

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Why did the hens build their house in the woods? Why was it constructed so poorly? Didn't they watch and learn from those 3 pigs?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, I was asked to consult on an AI mushroom identification app to inform eating decisions. I told them that the app should just say not to eat all mushrooms users submitted.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

Serious question - how delicious are they? Because given the effort you need to go through to not die horribly I'm not sure its worth it if the mushrooms are anything below "cocaine and blowjobs" on the enjoyment index.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Doc Hawkins posted:

more like touch leaf, wait an hour, rub leaf, wait a day, taste and spit out a tiny bite, wait an hour, chew and swallow a tiny amount, wait a week...

that's what they did in Clan of the Cave Bear anyway

yeah, this. like folks this isn't instructions for how to test it for funsies where you're like "oh i didn't die right away so I'll immediately chow down bc im only gonna be hanging out in these woods for a few more hours." it's for survival situations because that's the only time you should ever be even considering eating random loving plants

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Sep 1, 2020

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Serious question - how delicious are they? Because given the effort you need to go through to not die horribly I'm not sure its worth it if the mushrooms are anything below "cocaine and blowjobs" on the enjoyment index.

I don't really get how people poison themselves with mushrooms so often. Take a loving book or an app or something to help you identify the shrooms and don't just pick anything were you arent sure. 99% times when the book tells me "The delicious "Mouth loving sweet cap" is often confused with the "Head melting poison morel" " i look up the poison one and it looks, smells and feels completely different.
Im pretty sure most who are "confused" are idiots who go out into the woods, pick some random mushrooms they find and just eat them because they are pretty sure the one they picked with grandpa 20 years ago were the same kind and they were great! Some deer gnawed on it so how poisonous can it really be! (Hint: Very!)

Don't pick mushrooms you cant 100% identify! Thats a rule thats not that hard to remember!
And if thats to much pressure then just buy some at the store. Gets you most of the fungi goodness without any of the risk!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/barbsolish/status/1300474900486983680

Imagine putting a judge in harm's way for a lame photo op.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

https://twitter.com/barbsolish/status/1300474900486983680

Imagine putting a judge in harm's way for a lame photo op.

RBG is also the dumbass here for agreeing to it but then again she is addicted to being hospitalized

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's like exhibitionism, the risk is part of the enjoyment.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

RBG is also the dumbass here for agreeing to it but then again she is addicted to being hospitalized

Turns out being a member of the highest court in the U.S. doesn't mean she's immune to making loving stupid decisions like this.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/1299914167525216256?s=20

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

BioEnchanted posted:

The problem with learning from animals is often they can eat things humans can't. You never see a fox who's just raided a henhouse in the woods later making GBS threads himself inside out going "GOD, I FORGOT RAW CHICKEN WAS A BAD IDEA"

Honestly it's mostly a bad idea because we, humans, have hosed up chickens from birth since we keep them in horrible conditions.

Same with nearly any livestock. They get parasites, sure, but it's mostly exacerbated by the fact that since birth they are kept in squalor. This is one of the reasons why you can have raw beef* or raw fish* but not raw chicken or pork.

*read: kind of, mostly, because they are not kept in completely polluted confines mostly

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok but then why did I get sick from that raw pigeon I ate?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Are you a cat maybe?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

God, can we just not link things like this unless it ends with these psychopaths getting decked, maced, tazed or shot? Because it's some loving infuriating poo poo to see them getting away with just making GBS threads all over other people without getting some just desserts.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Push El Burrito posted:

Its Squab if you ate it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TirandoaVioleta/status/1300483152167735296?s=19

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Now I realize why I never got those Cuban sandwiches I ordered.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

letthereberock posted:

Now I realize why I never got those Cuban sandwiches I ordered.

I like the implication that it would really easy to use PayPal to funnel money to Iran as long as it was through an account named Ir.An

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

At least the customer support person knows and admits it's insane. I've definitely had to tell clients to do dumb workarounds because someone else in another company hosed up. Seems unfair to put the person on blast when they're trying to help her get around Paypal's stupidity.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I like the implication that it would really easy to use PayPal to funnel money to Iran as long as it was through an account named Ir.An

How hard can it be for USians to send stuff to Iran? It's been established since the 80s IIRC

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iran's so far away.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I sympathize with the rep who has to offer this ridiculous workaround but is willing to acknowledge that it’s a stupid problem. Sometimes that’s all you can do

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

Iran's so far away.

Yeah but in a world of electronic money, it should still be simple to send funds to Iran both night and day.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes 1990s internet censor problem of banning the city of Fishkill and breast cancer support groups in 2020.

why are computation machine stuff so dumb?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PressHerald/status/1300809515798081537

PhazonLink posted:

They're programmed by people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well atlteast they're not that racist freep newspaper.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
All of New Hampshire is yours - except Keene. Attempt no landing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes 1990s internet censor problem of banning the city of Fishkill and breast cancer support groups in 2020.

My favorite was not being able to search for 'Abraham Lincoln' in the school computers. It had the word 'bra' in it.