Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Failed at reaching my Challenge goal the last two years, but I can't imagine not making it this year being stuck inside with nothing to do. I feel like I've got a ton of really interesting stuff lined up for myself that I'm very excited about, keeping a couple of Letterboxd lists to make sure I maximize my viewing time with cool weird stuff.

Love that idea of weekly themes, dorium!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the key is you want to mix things up, don't choose a limiting theme and then force yourself to stick to it the entire month. A few years ago I did 5 movies from each decade starting with the 1930s up to the present, so I was never stuck in any one decade long enough for it to get stale.

This year with everything going on I think I'm gonna keep things really loose and just give myself permission to watch whatever I want, although scheduling those last few days before Halloween is always fun. Last year for the first time I didn't actually watch Halloween on Halloween night, instead I went with Return of the Living Dead, Coppola's Dracula and Trick r Treat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jedit posted:

You can simplify it further - it's a test run for Firefly.
Firefly hasn't aged well, but the jokes are definitely better than the attempts at humour in Resurrection.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fulci fans, check out Fulci for Fake. Was really enjoyable.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Given the choice between watching Firefly or Alien Resurrection again, I'd pick AR every time. If I'm going to have to grind my teeth through several hours of Whedon dialogue then I'd rather it be accompanied by gory sci fi fun than Lost Cause bullshit starring a gamergater in chief

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the key is you want to mix things up, don't choose a limiting theme and then force yourself to stick to it the entire month.

When I was doing my just franchises theme, there were some points where it was a challenge to force myself through the rest of the franchise coughAmityville[i]cough[/]. That's part of the reason I'm doing whatever I've not reviewed for an Ironman yet for this go around. I'm already plotting out my viewing schedule so soon as the thread's live, I'm tearing out the gate.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I failed at doing 31 last year and every year, but I did try to shoot for an equal amount of female directors last year which I highly recommend. It makes you do some deep dives.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

31 is directed by Rob Zombie tho

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

31 is directed by Rob Zombie tho

Rob made an entire movie as a secret message telling you to do the October Challenge. Will you let Rob down?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If the thread can't peer pressure you into the October Challenge, Kvlt!, then I'm going to do my damndest to peer pressure you into smoking cigarettes. The choice is up to you.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if you do start smoking cigarettes, you'll at least look as cool as you feel.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

If the thread can't peer pressure you into the October Challenge, Kvlt!, then I'm going to do my damndest to peer pressure you into smoking cigarettes. The choice is up to you.

but I already quit cigarettes does this mean i have to start again :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Rob made an entire movie as a secret message telling you to do the October Challenge. Will you let Rob down?

ID NEVER LET YOU DOWN ROB

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

but I already quit cigarettes does this mean i have to start again :(

yes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt!, I hope you do the challenge because I like reading your thoughts about movies and you watch a lot of stuff that I've never even heard of

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Color out of Space just hit Shudder. If that's not a doozy of a birthday surprise for me, I'm not sure what else would be aside from Rob Zombie letting me have my pick of his horror memorabilia collection.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Question for the October challenge: does a televised recording of a musical count for this? It's about 2 hours and is a subtitled broadcast of the 90's German production of the Tom Waits/William S Burroughs musical The Black Rider, a retelling of a German folktale of a hunter making a deal with the devil.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

Question for the October challenge: does a televised recording of a musical count for this? It's about 2 hours and is a subtitled broadcast of the 90's German production of the Tom Waits/William S Burroughs musical The Black Rider, a retelling of a German folktale of a hunter making a deal with the devil.

I don't think it's ever come up but I assume it would qualify. Really the only rule is that it has to be over an hour(?) and you can't count t.v. series.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Yeah this is cool. Basebf555 put the loose guidelines pretty well.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Flying Zamboni posted:

Yo where can I watch this, I loved The Black Rider album.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Personally I think we should allow tv shows but with the caveat that a season only counts as one entry. If someone want to spend 13 hours for 1 slot or a 3 hour miniseries that only "hurts" them. I don't see the big deal. No one's really keeping count. Its only kind of weird when people watch like Masters of Horror episodes and count them all as individual movies. And even that just seems accidental since they released all those episodes individually like they were films. I don't think anyone was trying to rig the system and I think having the field open to kind of out of box stuff is fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it's ever come up but I assume it would qualify. Really the only rule is that it has to be over an hour(?) and you can't count t.v. series.

It has to be at least an hour. Masters of Horror generally gets disqualified on that reason. Though I do have to ask about films that are close but not quite an hour. There's some I'm considering for the challenge but they're at 58 or 59 minutes.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

It has to be at least an hour. Masters of Horror generally gets disqualified on that reason. Though I do have to ask about films that are close but not quite an hour. There's some I'm considering for the challenge but they're at 58 or 59 minutes.

Though by all means if you do watch them write them up as uncounted side entries anyway! They're still interesting to hear about even if they don't "count".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Personally I think we should allow tv shows but with the caveat that a season only counts as one entry. If someone want to spend 13 hours for 1 slot or a 3 hour miniseries that only "hurts" them. I don't see the big deal. No one's really keeping count. Its only kind of weird when people watch like Masters of Horror episodes and count them all as individual movies. And even that just seems accidental since they released all those episodes individually like they were films. I don't think anyone was trying to rig the system and I think having the field open to kind of out of box stuff is fun.

Well the simple reason is we're CineD and not TVIV.

It was always only movies, even before I took over the tradition. And when I included mini-series as qualifying, it was an incredible head-ache.

It's a challenge, so there must be perimeters.

edit: Another clarifying point is, every challenge, there's a few people that say "Well, Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is 10 hours long, so I should be able to cut those down into 90 minute chunks and count them individually", or others that said "Camp Crystal Lake Memories is 9 hours, so I'm counting it as four films." And, my answer is always No. You want to watch a 9 hour documentary and count it as a single film? Do so! I literally did it for a challenge. If you want to count something as 4 two hour movies, just watch 4 two hour movies.

The point of the challenge is to watch new movies or write up things about old favorites. There are so many movies to choose from that I have zero sympathy for someone that complains they can't watch a TV show instead, when three dozen other people can. Just watch the show? If you want to write about it, you can, in the thread, but you're still not watching a movie, so it won't count. And people do that every challenge, and just included it in their "Extras". :shrug:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 1, 2020

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

graventy posted:

Though by all means if you do watch them write them up as uncounted side entries anyway! They're still interesting to hear about even if they don't "count".

That opens the door for a bunch of silents I've got that I didn't do because they're on the very short side.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, I used to make an exception for Masters of Horrors, but the lengths vary by 10 minutes, so they can be anywhere from 50-61 minutes, and there's usually two edits floating around due to some episodes getting extended for physical release. Then I got plenty of complaints that said "Well if MoH counts, then why can't ___ count?!" and so I cut MoH out too.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Get hype. After the Green Knight, this is my most looked-forward to film of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahn56QWkD0Y

Yall are clowning yourselves if you haven't seen his earlier movie, Antiviral.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Well the simple reason is we're CineD and not TVIV.

It was always only movies, even before I took over the tradition. And when I included mini-series as qualifying, it was an incredible head-ache.

It's a challenge, so there must be perimeters.

edit: Another clarifying point is, every challenge, there's a few people that say "Well, Haunting of Hill House on Netflix is 10 hours long, so I should be able to cut those down into 90 minute chunks and count them individually", or others that said "Camp Crystal Lake Memories is 9 hours, so I'm counting it as four films." And, my answer is always No. You want to watch a 9 hour documentary and count it as a single film? Do so! I literally did it for a challenge. If you want to count something as 4 two hour movies, just watch 4 two hour movies.

The point of the challenge is to watch new movies or write up things about old favorites. There are so many movies to choose from that I have zero sympathy for someone that complains they can't watch a TV show instead, when three dozen other people can. Just watch the show? If you want to write about it, you can, in the thread, but you're still not watching a movie, so it won't count. And people do that every challenge, and just included it in their "Extras". :shrug:

Yeah, I think I just do stuff as non-counting writeups when I feel like it. Its not a big deal. I just figure like, if you wanna spend 9 hours watching 1 "film" for your challenge hey... that's on you. Like Haunting of Bly Manor comes out in Oct and I'll probably be tempted to watch it. But I also might wait just because I can't count it. Which is weird because there's not much difference between 13 hours for 1 entry and 13 entries for 0. Its just a weird "count it" thing I guess.

But I can appreciate that you just don't want 100 PMs answering the same question in different forms so you lay down a blanket rule. It is what it is.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For fans of the podcast(s) "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust" and "In Myers We Trust", I just saw Matt Gourley log Nightmare on Elm Street on Letterboxd. They've been quiet about if they're following through with "In Kruger We Trust", so this is a good sign.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think I just do stuff as non-counting writeups when I feel like it. Its not a big deal. I just figure like, if you wanna spend 9 hours watching 1 "film" for your challenge hey... that's on you. Like Haunting of Bly Manor comes out in Oct and I'll probably be tempted to watch it. But I also might wait just because I can't count it. Which is weird because there's not much difference between 13 hours for 1 entry and 13 entries for 0. Its just a weird "count it" thing I guess.

But I can appreciate that you just don't want 100 PMs answering the same question in different forms so you lay down a blanket rule. It is what it is.

I've learned that blanket rules not only save me 100 PMs (which I really don't mind; I get PMs every challenge asking about if certain movies qualify, and it doesn't take me too long to read up and see if it does or not), but they seem to help others make decisions on what to watch. Choice Paralysis is very real for movie challenges.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 1, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Franchescanado posted:

For fans of the podcast(s) "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust" and "In Myers We Trust", I just saw Matt Gourley log Nightmare on Elm Street on Letterboxd. They've been quiet about if they're following through with "In Kruger We Trust", so this is a good sign.

My hope is for a Craven We Trust with both the Nightmare and Scream franchises.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Choice paralysis is why I think choosing films as blind as possible is the way to go. I already have 50 films lined up that I know nothing about beyond the country they were produced in, and that some of them have queer themes/cast/crew et cetera.

Speaking of which, it turns out sourcing African horror films is a huge pain in the rear end.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Choice paralysis is why I think choosing films as blind as possible is the way to go. I already have 50 films lined up that I know nothing about beyond the country they were produced in, and that some of them have queer themes/cast/crew et cetera.

Speaking of which, it turns out sourcing African horror films is a huge pain in the rear end.

Weirdly enough trying to find poo poo out about non dominate world power cultures is real difficult.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Crazy right?

Thankfully Nollywood has a large presence on YouTube, but I was hoping to spread my wings a little further than that. There's an amazing looking film called The Bloodettes from Cameroon that I'd love to watch.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Yo where can I watch this, I loved The Black Rider album.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzyjf9oGBBU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Choice paralysis" or "analysis paralysis" gets me a lot. I'm sitting her having not eaten all day because I can't decide what to eat. My Years challenge helped a lot with that since I had to fit criteria which gave me a guideline I could build around and if I got stuck I just did the next year. In April I did franchises and it was the same thing. I get stuck I do the next sequel in the line. I'm gonna try and keep Oct loose this year but I think Letterboxd helps that. If I get stuck I can go to my watchlist or a list and just pick at random. I think it should work for my usual problem.

I'm also debating an elaborate art theme that would give me some guideline but I'm not sure I want to commit to 31 art projects in 31 days including some of my bolder ideas like paper mache decorations. Gonna debate it through Sept.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Please share your list so far, I need it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The first half of Last House on the left: :pwn:
The last half of Last House on the Left: :discourse:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
For Scream Stream suggestions, are we talking critics or/and audience reception on RT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would like to see someone only consume the worst of the worst horror on Netflix, Hulu and the true depths of Amazon Prime. I’m talking about the awful horror movies that don’t even have box art or descriptions. It’s just a screen of a random clip of the movie with the title in impact font and the genre is just horror