Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Before they lost their house in the 2008 crash, my parents' mortgage was sold between lenders something like 4 times in three years. I think they ended up with Bank of America, who, after agreeing to a short sale, tried to (illegally) force my parents to make up the difference between the sale price and the remaining mortgage balance. My parents were able to lawyer up and after almost a year of court proceedings BofA stopped trying to wring blood from that particular stone.

My dad still tells the story about how he asked the bank rep he was negotiating with about the bank bailout, and how my dad thought that the bailout was contingent on trying to keep people like him in their homes. The rep's response? "That's our money, not yours."

In summation, gently caress this demon nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ahh, got it! Wasn't sure if there was some neat database you could go search to see where your loans lived.

I went with a credit union that is pretty well regarded, so no signs of sale of mortgage yet!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

Ahh, got it! Wasn't sure if there was some neat database you could go search to see where your loans lived.

I went with a credit union that is pretty well regarded, so no signs of sale of mortgage yet!
Credit unions sell mortgages allllll the loving time. They usually continue to service the mortgages they sell, so you may not even know the difference. See, they get to collect .25% of the interest, and have zero of the risk that way.

No perverse incentives here! Certainly nothing can go wrong!

EDIT: I just noticed who this was. Good to know you're still alive, and even bought a loving house. Nice!

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 31, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Credit unions sell mortgages allllll the loving time. They usually continue to service the mortgages they sell, so you may not even know the difference. See, they get to collect .25% of the interest, and have zero of the risk that way.

No perverse incentives here! Certainly nothing can go wrong!

EDIT: I just noticed who this was. Good to know you're still alive, and even bought a loving house. Nice!

See, I'd love to detect / know that they were doing that! Mostly out of morbid curiosity.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One Weird Trick: Debt Collectors Hate It!

"Sir, that 2019 Raptor Loan was signed under a gold-fringed Ford Dealership Flag that only has legal authority over nautical Ford vehicles. Your loan has no power here."
In this particular case, without knowing more it's hard to say, but there's a ton of sketchy bullshit by debt collection agencies. I've been cold called for accounts that have long been settled to settle a debt with them, and when I ask in writing for evidence of this debt they, shock and surprise, never get back to me. This could be legit! It could also be a database entry from 2004 that was sold "as-is" on the barely legal secondary market for debts that were flagged uncollected. Who the gently caress knows!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

See, I'd love to detect / know that they were doing that! Mostly out of morbid curiosity.

Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae both have mortgage lookup tools so you can see if they own your mortgage. You can always just contact your mortgage lender/servicer and ask, too.

From your perspective, nothing really changes. And honestly, getting people (rather than equity firms) to buy homes isn't a bad goal; it's just the way they go about it that is less than ideal.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

kw0134 posted:

In this particular case, without knowing more it's hard to say, but there's a ton of sketchy bullshit by debt collection agencies. I've been cold called for accounts that have long been settled to settle a debt with them, and when I ask in writing for evidence of this debt they, shock and surprise, never get back to me. This could be legit! It could also be a database entry from 2004 that was sold "as-is" on the barely legal secondary market for debts that were flagged uncollected. Who the gently caress knows!

He mentions that he owes the money in the reddit thread, but doesn't think they can prove it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

kw0134 posted:

:jerkbag:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, he says in the post that they sent him proof of the debt. He just says that they can't collect the debt because he sent them a cease and desist letter and they never sent him enough proof to:

quote:

Validate the legitimacy of their authority to be a state-approved debt collector that can contact me regarding alleged debts. (Specifically if they are licensed to be a debt collector in my state, the name on their license that grants them such authority, the name/address/telephone number of the state agency that grants them this authority.

and therefore he legally blocks them from contacting him, they can't collect the debt if he is never contacted, and he has trapped them in a legal paradox.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Also, he says in the post that they sent him proof of the debt. He just says that they can't collect the debt because he sent them a cease and desist letter and they never sent him enough proof to:

and therefore he legally blocks them from contacting him, they can't collect the debt if he is never contacted, and he has trapped them in a legal paradox.

In California you can tell debt collectors to stop contacting you and they're required to do so.

They can then sue you, of course.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Wicked Them Beats posted:

In California you can tell debt collectors to stop contacting you and they're required to do so.

They can then sue you, of course.

You can stop them from calling you, but you can't stop them entirely from mailing things to you. They can still mail you updates on the debt and their plans on what action to take.

Edit: Apparently, there are also no restrictions on text messaging at all due to the law never being updated.

quote:

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act doesn’t specify any restrictions about receiving text messages.

California also bans debt collectors from using profanity.

quote:

They cannot swear, threaten to illegally harm you or your property, and may call your employer only once to verify employment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 31, 2020

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
For the BWM book club (is it a thing? it should be a thing): Bad Paper by Jake Halpern.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I'm torn. Debt collectors are a bunch of rat gently caress scumbags who need to be wiped off the face of the earth.

On the other hand, this guy clearly has such an odd, and self-serving, interpretation of the law that I'd love to see him throw all his money away by trying to drag this through the courts.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

kw0134 posted:

I've had this same experience, certified letter requesting proof, and boom, no contact no credit agency hit. Either scams or collecting on something settled years ago.

By virtue of the debt collection agency actually responding, I'd say he a) legitimately owes and b) it's probably a good sum of money to actually make it worth their while to present the proof.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

oopsie rock posted:

For the BWM book club (is it a thing? it should be a thing): Bad Paper by Jake Halpern.

Where were you a few months ago? :(

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

movax posted:

If it's not Fannie or Freddie, this works:

https://www.mers-servicerid.org/sis/common/search

We refinanced in July, mortgage was immediately sold to Wells Fargo. I found that out through that site.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DaveSauce posted:

I'm torn. Debt collectors are a bunch of rat gently caress scumbags who need to be wiped off the face of the earth.

On the other hand, this guy clearly has such an odd, and self-serving, interpretation of the law that I'd love to see him throw all his money away by trying to drag this through the courts.

It depends on the debt being collected. I worked for a mortgage servicer in collections and 99 out of a 100 calls were to people that didnt pay their mortgage because they found a great deal on a project car, or had to buy a new Xbox, or they have a "medical condition" where they can only eat expensive steaks. The 1/100 was the actual sad issue about medical bills or a death in the family, etc. and we had several ways to actually help those people. IE people with legitimate hardships.

The way to help the other 99 is to tell them to get their priorities in order because they have money to pay their bills if they wanted to. They don't like being told that, so we're the bad guys, of course.

We also had the cease and desist nut cases that think they're "showing Obama whose boss" and keeping their house by blocking us from calling them only to realize later they hosed up their taxes and need our help. But now we legally can't talk to them and they don't want to pay for a stamp to mail us questions, so they just call, scream racial profanities and hang up over and over while they creep steadily towards foreclosure.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, he's angling for the Sov Cit of debt collection so that's destined to fail, but at the same time having an account # and a SSN isn't proof of much of anything. "Bob's Appliances" a totally legit enterprise has a claimed debt for Account # 44651035-334 for SSN 123-45-6789 is as much a reliable evidence of a debt as this post.

So we'll wait for the inevitable followup post, "why I get sued :saddowns:"

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Where were you a few months ago? :(

I wasn't paying attention, apparently...what'd I miss?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

oopsie rock posted:

I wasn't paying attention, apparently...what'd I miss?

I suggested something like that but with little enthusiasm, so :gas:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Moneyball posted:

Reading about all the complicated ways that the world is hosed up was a lot more fun when the termite mound of privilege that I live in was large enough to hide the all of the simple ways that the world is hosed up.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
A little late on this but isn’t a significant portion of Tesla’s business centered in selling the regulatory credits it gets? Like their actual car sales haven’t been good year-over-year for a while and this is the only thing driving their stock ‘growth’ (aside from magic wishes)?

What are the magic words I need to tweet at Trump to get him to discontinue this program for car manufacturers?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

oopsie rock posted:

Is this worth reading?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

A little late on this but isn’t a significant portion of Tesla’s business centered in selling the regulatory credits it gets? Like their actual car sales haven’t been good year-over-year for a while and this is the only thing driving their stock ‘growth’ (aside from magic wishes)?

What are the magic words I need to tweet at Trump to get him to discontinue this program for car manufacturers?

Yeah it’s like of the $500 million total in profit they’ve reported in the last year $400 million came from sale of regulatory credits. Revenue from automotive sales has been flat overall. Yet the stock is up like 10x where it was in January

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Moneyball posted:

Ah, sorry. I'm usually a solo reader though, so I'm poo poo at book clubs. Maybe I just tuned out the call. But I'm great at tossing out recommendations! Here's another that I'm making my way through now: Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell. It's from 2009 so there are many recent developments it doesn't cover, but it's got a lot of history on how sales kicked capitalism into overdrive.

Residency Evil posted:

Is this worth reading?

I liked it!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

"Devil Take the Hindmost" is a history of speculative bubbles that wouldn't be out of place in the BFCBC.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

"Obama did [opposite]."

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

At today's close, Tesla has a market cap of $464B and a PE of 1300. They are far and away the most valuable automaker and that market cap is about as much as #2-7 are worth, combined, or a third of the total global market cap for automobile manufacturing. Which makes total sense seeing as how 1 out of every 3 cars sold worldwide is a Tesla.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The new thread title is really resonating with me due to a very stupid conversation I had with my late-sixties mother last night.

Paraphrased, given it was a phone call: (Mom = M, Sundae = S)

quote:

Mom: "I bought my condo 6 yrs ago for $280K and now the ones around it are selling for $489K. I'll have a great profit when I sell!"
Sundae: "Congrats. You should be able to sell it and not be left holding the bag, given your timeline."
M: "What do you mean?"
S: "Ever notice how housing prices go up every year, endlessly, but wages haven't gone up in 20+ years, even in real dollars and not accounting for inflation?"
M: "My wages doubled in 20 years."
S: "Well yeah. Yours individually did. You've had four promotions and twenty years have passed. What about the people who work in the role you started in? They still make the same as what you made back in 2000."
M: "So they won't buy my house. People in my role will."
S: "Eventually they have to buy a house, though, right? When they're your age, how much will houses cost then? At some point, they lose the ability to afford."
M: "No, I don't see that."
:sigh:
S: "And beyond that, the people who are your age and in advanced roles like yours, they all own houses already, right? Because they could afford them six years ago just like you."
M: "So?"
S: "So why are they buying yours?"
M: "Well, mine is nicer than many of the others that just sold, and those sold as a premium to what they were bought for back in..."
:negative:
S: "Okay, let me try this a different way. Look long term, Mom. If everything keeps getting more expensive, but people don't keep making more money relative to the previous generation in their place, those things become unaffordable. It took you 14 years to afford a condo. If it keeps going up in price, it'll take the next group 15 years, 20 years, whatever."
M: "Okay."
S: "So they're not buying your house anymore when they get to 14 years like you, because they don't make enough for how much your house value has gone up. They can afford $280K just like you could, and now condo owners want $489K."
M: "So they rent longer and buy the house later. People don't always get what they want."

:suicide:

At that point, I gave up and changed the topic.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Your mum is right except it will be bought by a property investment corporation and rented to someone who will never own property.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Your mum is right except it will be bought by a property investment corporation and rented to someone who will never own property.

time to go long on :thermidor:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpartanIvy posted:

It depends on the debt being collected. I worked for a mortgage servicer in collections and 99 out of a 100 calls were to people that didnt pay their mortgage because they found a great deal on a project car, or had to buy a new Xbox, or they have a "medical condition" where they can only eat expensive steaks. The 1/100 was the actual sad issue about medical bills or a death in the family, etc. and we had several ways to actually help those people. IE people with legitimate hardships.

The way to help the other 99 is to tell them to get their priorities in order because they have money to pay their bills if they wanted to. They don't like being told that, so we're the bad guys, of course.

We also had the cease and desist nut cases that think they're "showing Obama whose boss" and keeping their house by blocking us from calling them only to realize later they hosed up their taxes and need our help. But now we legally can't talk to them and they don't want to pay for a stamp to mail us questions, so they just call, scream racial profanities and hang up over and over while they creep steadily towards foreclosure.

Don't misinterpret my disdain for your former profession as me defending people who make stupid financial decisions.

I'm sure you and your colleagues were The Good Ones, but that doesn't really matter. Just remember that there's a very good reason for the long list of laws that debt collectors have to follow.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DaveSauce posted:

Don't misinterpret my disdain for your former profession as me defending people who make stupid financial decisions.

I'm sure you and your colleagues were The Good Ones, but that doesn't really matter. Just remember that there's a very good reason for the long list of laws that debt collectors have to follow.

There's a long list of laws for all professions. Having laws for an industry doesn't mean people in that profession are inherently evil or bad.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

I’ve been a domming a family friend’s husband without knowing its him

I (f19) work as an online dominatrix specialising in financial domination. It started as a way to make some quick cash for college and then snowballed into like an actual job.

About a year ago a guy messaged me on insta asking to serve me and after proving himself he quickly became one of my regulars. He said he wanted to be anonymous so I never pressed him about it and just let it continue. As part of the kink of financial domination I made him make some cuts in his life like not going on vacation and made him send that money to me and stuff like that.

So cut to a few days ago I’m getting angry calls from my parents about me ruining one of their friend’s lives and basically what had happened is the wife had gone through her husband’s phone and found our conversations and had recognised me from my profile. She had been under the impression that they didn’t have money because of bad investing decisions not because he was sending the money to me.

My parents didn’t know I do this so they were equally angry and upset and they think I’m a monster for what I did and they won’t even let me explain to them that it’s a kink. They asked me to give the money back and it was another rough conversation to tell them I couldn’t because I had bought a house using that money.

I have no idea what to do or how to talk to my parents or to our family friends :/

GWM for the author, hilarious BWM for the dude she's talking about.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

GWM for the author, hilarious BWM for the dude she's talking about.

She distinctly avoided specifying whether or not she knew he was married and that "not going on vacation" would affect his wife, too.

GWM, BWCFHD (Bad With Common loving Human Decency).

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I (f19) work as an online dominatrix specialising in financial domination. It started as a way to make some quick cash for college and then snowballed into like an actual job.

How the gently caress do I get into this job field?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Moo the cow posted:

How the gently caress do I get into this job field?

quote:

(f19)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Lol he sent her enough to buy a house. There have to be cheaper ways to achieve sexual gratification. Perhaps someday the internet will provide them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The sexual gratification comes from it being expensive. FinDom is very real!

Whenever cheesecake streamers or Only Fans comes up in this thread, there's usually a question of "Why do these guys think that sending money to the women will get them laid??" and that's not it. They are getting their rocks off from the act of sending money.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The sexual gratification comes from it being expensive. FinDom is very real!

Whenever cheesecake streamers or Only Fans comes up in this thread, there's usually a question of "Why do these guys think that sending money to the women will get them laid??" and that's not it. They are getting their rocks off from the act of sending money.

You'd think someone would've found a way to make this work with paper trading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

With streamers some actually do believe their $$$ are literal nice guy coins that will eventually grant them the chance to try and woo the target of their obsession.