Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy poo poo. If you haven't watched Class Action Park on HBO Max, you have to. I'm 20 minutes in and I'm in tears from laughing at this absolutely bananas poo poo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I cried laughing watching it. They nailed the tone. Chris Gethard is a national treasure as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

10 Beers posted:

Second season of Haunting of Hill House hits October 9!

https://youtu.be/cxeiY2W03Mc

Gonna be interesting to see where they take it, considering the first season wrapped up with it turning out they were all haunting themselves through time travel shenanigans and learned to be OK With The Haunted House. I wonder if they're doing a horror anthology kind of thing?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get this trend of turning one-shot novels into ongoing series. Like, the point is that the story is conceived with a clear beginning, middle, and end. They're not designed to go on indefinitely.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still don't get this trend of turning one-shot novels into ongoing series. Like, the point is that the story is conceived with a clear beginning, middle, and end. They're not designed to go on indefinitely.

I think you are misunderstanding what they are doing. Season 2 is loosely based on The Turn of the Screw and has no connection to season 1.

Also season 1 was nothing like the novel of The Haunting of Hill house. It was only inspired by the book, but completely different characters and plot than the book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah it's like American Horror/Crime Story, it's an anthology adapting haunted house stories under the "Haunting of" branding

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy poo poo. If you haven't watched Class Action Park on HBO Max, you have to. I'm 20 minutes in and I'm in tears from laughing at this absolutely bananas poo poo.

Hell yeah. I wish there was video of them testing the man in the ball in the ball.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I’ve been watching a show on Amazon Prime (US) called Real Renovations (or Real Reno’s?) that is good background TV. It’s a reality show that follows a general contractor around while he completes jobs.

I like it because it doesn’t seem produced at all and feels like a real documentary series. You see him dealing with the clients, architects, suppliers, designers, etc. throughout the process and getting frustrated with bad plans or neighbors or not getting paid or subcontractors not showing up. It’s an HGTV show but not at all like what they usually produce.

If you are like me and enjoy home improvement shows but are sick of the editing and shoehorned jokes and bits of reality TV then I say give this a shot.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Rediscovered Friday Night Tykes on Netflix after a couple years. Spoiler: They're still concussing and mentally abusing children in the name of sportsball.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's really good but holy poo poo does it loving gut punch you at the half way mark. Like the lead up is all laughter then poo poo gets real.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I finished the third season of Aggretsuko on Netflix. I'm not sure if they're planning on making more, but this seems like a good place to end things if they don't. So far, the end of each season has Retsuko making progress on figuring out what she wants and becoming more self-confident and then the beginning of the next season has her taking a big step back and then she has to do it all over again. She still seems to be making progress overall though.

This season got kind of dark towards the end with the psycho stalker harassing her and trying to kill her. What the hell. I would've been fine with her staying with her idol group instead of going back to her normal job. I thought the idol thing was weird at first, but it was more about her doing something that made her happy even though other people thought it was stupid or a waste of time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I finished the third season of Aggretsuko on Netflix. I'm not sure if they're planning on making more, but this seems like a good place to end things if they don't. So far, the end of each season has Retsuko making progress on figuring out what she wants and becoming more self-confident and then the beginning of the next season has her taking a big step back and then she has to do it all over again. She still seems to be making progress overall though.

This season got kind of dark towards the end with the psycho stalker harassing her and trying to kill her. What the hell. I would've been fine with her staying with her idol group instead of going back to her normal job. I thought the idol thing was weird at first, but it was more about her doing something that made her happy even though other people thought it was stupid or a waste of time.

The show basically wants to give the message that traditional work life is good. I personally found the message it gave with Haida pushing himself on Retsuko despite her still being traumatized as a positive thing the most upsetting of all.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Deadite posted:

I’ve been watching a show on Amazon Prime (US) called Real Renovations (or Real Reno’s?) that is good background TV. It’s a reality show that follows a general contractor around while he completes jobs.

I like it because it doesn’t seem produced at all and feels like a real documentary series. You see him dealing with the clients, architects, suppliers, designers, etc. throughout the process and getting frustrated with bad plans or neighbors or not getting paid or subcontractors not showing up. It’s an HGTV show but not at all like what they usually produce.

If you are like me and enjoy home improvement shows but are sick of the editing and shoehorned jokes and bits of reality TV then I say give this a shot.

I'm digging this, good find!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m so annoyed right now. HBO Max has a “Last Chance” section where they show the movies leaving at the end of the month. I had the Nightmare on Elm Street movies in my queue and the disappeared today, despite not showing up in Last Chance or being in any of the “Leaving HBO Max in August” lists online.

What’s the purpose of that section if they don’t even tell you everything? I’m so sick of stuff leaving and reappearing elsewhere. It’s really making me want to go back to piracy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Villains on Hulu was pretty fun, but after watching it I'm pretty convinced Maika Monroe is a terrible actress after watching it.

Also, Primal is awful but pretty entertaining. It's a return to Con Air kind of stuff. The bad guy is an absolutely ridiculous hamball and so is Nick Cage.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
What ? I loved Maika Monroe in both It Follows and The Guest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if something was bad I would assume it wasn't Maika Monroe's fault. Probably just lovely material.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This was the first time I really felt that way, although I've never found her noteworthy as good or bad previously. Both her and Bill Skarsgård's characters are pretty over the top in Villains but I felt like she wasn't pulling it off and it seemed like over acting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can see how maybe she wouldn't be the right casting choice for an over the top character. Her acting style is pretty understated.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Defunctland’s Jim Henson series is really great and it’ll make you cry
Thanks for the rec, really great stuff!

(here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLplWWKocAfTYIGzH8eQ0x0kEQgoV9CpYm)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh. I thought the teaser for this looked like absolute trash, but color me surprised by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTIrK3Kku8

It doesn't really look like something I'd go out of my way to watch unless I happened to be on a big JP kick, but it looks like it captures the spirit of Jurassic Park way better than any of the JW movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems like stuff just wont stop going wrong @ Jurassic Park. They should probably shut it down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the problem is too few carnivores. If they put more carnivores on the island, I think things would start going right.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

punk rebel ecks posted:

The show basically wants to give the message that traditional work life is good. I personally found the message it gave with Haida pushing himself on Retsuko despite her still being traumatized as a positive thing the most upsetting of all.

Ok, I'm glad I wasn't alone in thinking that. I was personally a little disappointed with season 2's ending, but this season's ending made me actively disappointed. I don't personally know many people who are victims of ATTEMPTED MURDER, but I don't think the best approach was Haida basically saying get over it. He came off as a piece of poo poo, not an endearing long-time admirer. I was actually really glad he saved her, but him looking like an rear end in a top hat at the end was just awful. E: Also Haida cannot do a metal voice at all, that was weird but kinda funny. Otherwise, I thought this season was great. Still funny and still pretty pointed with it's commentary on young adult life. Also, the fact that a prevailing message the whole season was "gently caress capitalism" was pretty great too.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 1, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I liked this short that they put out last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kbVvpOGdQ.

It's strange to me how much trouble Jurassic World has recapturing the magic of Jurassic Park. To me, the heart of the original movie was that dinosaurs are awe-inspiring and often terrifying. That seems pretty straightforward. I think the first big misstep of Jurassic World was the premise that kids are bored of dinosaurs, so they need something bigger and better. You can see it both in the older brother's attitude and the movie's insistence on making gene-spliced dinosaur monsters. But I don't want to watch a movie about gene-spliced dinosaur monsters, nor do I want to watch a movie about sketchy military guys and sinister criminal auctions. I just want to be amazed and scared by (somewhat) realistic dinosaurs. There's magic in the original concept. You don't need all that extra stuff.

That preview looks like it has its heart in the right place. Is it supposed to be happening at the same time as Jurassic World 1?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem is that absolutely nothing about Jurassic Park warranted a sequel. There was really nothing to do with it other than try and do the same thing but bigger. Even though it was bad at least The Lost World tried to do something different. by the time JP3 came out the series potential was clearly completely tapped out, but now it's 2020 and companies are legally required to milk any nostalgia they have access to. there's just no magic to the reboots because they are completely uninspired cash grabs.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

DorianGravy posted:

I liked this short that they put out last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kbVvpOGdQ.

It's strange to me how much trouble Jurassic World has recapturing the magic of Jurassic Park.

I always felt it was because the original knew how and when NOT to show something. The T. rex in the first one was terrifying partly because often its presence was shown indirectly, and when it was actually seen it was brutal and quick, like a natural disaster.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

InterrupterJones posted:

Also, the fact that a prevailing message the whole season was "gently caress capitalism" was pretty great too.

Except that always in the end the series basically shrugs its shoulders and says "welp, office life is better than anything else." Especially in Season 2 which offered Retusko literal Automated Gay Luxury Space Communism that she turned down to be barefoot and pregnant and still be an office worker at the same time because "that's what her heart truly aspires for".

veni veni veni posted:

The problem is that absolutely nothing about Jurassic Park warranted a sequel. There was really nothing to do with it other than try and do the same thing but bigger. Even though it was bad at least The Lost World tried to do something different. by the time JP3 came out the series potential was clearly completely tapped out, but now it's 2020 and companies are legally required to milk any nostalgia they have access to. there's just no magic to the reboots because they are completely uninspired cash grabs.

Pretty much my view to. Hate on The Lost World all you want but at least it tries to do something different, and the initial concept of dinos in the city had potential. Jurassic Park 3 had the whole evolution thing but didn't really do all that much interesting with it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 1, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

It's strange to me how much trouble Jurassic World has recapturing the magic of Jurassic Park. To me, the heart of the original movie was that dinosaurs are awe-inspiring and often terrifying. That seems pretty straightforward. I think the first big misstep of Jurassic World was the premise that kids are bored of dinosaurs, so they need something bigger and better. You can see it both in the older brother's attitude and the movie's insistence on making gene-spliced dinosaur monsters. But I don't want to watch a movie about gene-spliced dinosaur monsters, nor do I want to watch a movie about sketchy military guys and sinister criminal auctions. I just want to be amazed and scared by (somewhat) realistic dinosaurs. There's magic in the original concept. You don't need all that extra stuff.

Especially when The Lost World went the opposite direction and emphasized that these aren't monsters, but animals acting out of self-defense, parental instinct, or territoriality. They had Sarah Harding tell them that at every turn, with the T-Rex pair's entire motivation in the most significant sequence of the film being to get their child back. Hell, the original ending was supposed to be everyone escaping a family of pteranodons who were defending their nest, later followed by Sarah, Ian, and Kelly sitting on the couch crosscut with that same family of pteranodons. Spielberg threw it out in favor of empty spectacle, perhaps a sign of things to come, but the DNA still remains throughout with the peaceful nature of the mission, Kelly's place in the film, and the core roles of Sarah, Nick, Burke, and in contrast to them Roland.

The whole film was drawing a parallel between Malcolm's desire as a father and boyfriend to protect his family and the desires of the wild animals on this island which just happened to be dinosaurs. It humanized them and gave them realistic motivations for their actions, so it's crazy that JW went so far the opposite direction.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 1, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed when Haida did that and acted like he was doing her a favor, so I was then super happy when Retsuko called him out on it and said his feelings about her weren't her responsibility and what the gently caress was he even thinking doing this. It did seem like his approach still kind of worked, although I don't think the audience is really supposed to be on Haida's side necessarily. I thought he came off as a bit of a jerk in his subplot with Inui. Not intentionally, he's just kind of self-absorbed and afraid of committing to a decision and ends up hurting other people in the process. I thought this season had some mixed messages, but I still liked it overall. But I don't want the show to just keep going around in circles with her either.

Although in regards to the end of season two, I thought Retsuko's choice to break up with her boyfriend was totally sensible. Like, yeah he's rich and she could quit her job if she stayed with him, but they want very different things out of life. Wanting to get married and have kids someday is a totally legitimate choice and if he doesn't want that then they should just break up. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember her choice to go back to her job wasn't because that's what she really wanted in the long run, but because she wanted to be more self-sufficient instead of depending on her boyfriend for money. Also I thought he was kind of an airhead. To me, her decision was mostly about her asserting her own desires and acknowledging that they're important, instead of just going along with what he or other people wanted.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Whole bunch of [adult swim] stuff just showed up on HBO Max, including Moral Orel (please watch Moral Orel).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that new Bill and Ted actually watchable? People seem to like it, it has an 81% on RT...The trailer is just awful though. Both Reeves and Pepper seem like they are just sleeping through it, the jokes are terrible, the whole concept seems really uninspired. Is it a case of the movie being way better than the trailer, or are people just unwilling to poo poo on something as lighthearted as a new Bill and Ted movie in misery world 2020? Cause man, that trailer is bad.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

veni veni veni posted:

Is that new Bill and Ted actually watchable? People seem to like it, it has an 81% on RT...The trailer is just awful though. Both Reeves and Pepper seem like they are just sleeping through it, the jokes are terrible, the whole concept seems really uninspired. Is it a case of the movie being way better than the trailer, or are people just unwilling to poo poo on something as lighthearted as a new Bill and Ted movie in misery world 2020? Cause man, that trailer is bad.

I liked it a lot, and thought the trailer was terrible. That said, i do think it’s greater than the sum of its parts. Keanu had a more difficult time finding the character, but Alex Winter was spot on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool maybe I’ll check it out then.

Also whoops. I always call Alex Winter Barry Pepper.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Edward Mass posted:

Whole bunch of [adult swim] stuff just showed up on HBO Max, including Moral Orel (please watch Moral Orel).

Absolutely do this. They nailed super dark but still funny

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cobra Kai is a lot of fun, and it's neat that the main two actors are reprising their characters. I like that both of the main characters are pretty flawed in different ways. Halfway through season one now.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1301158108740296707?s=19

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

veni veni veni posted:

If you like Bill and Ted movies you'll enjoy it. It's about as silly as the other ones, which is to say much sillier than most comedies these days.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Way late to the party but finally checked out Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance on Netflix.

If you can get past the weirdness of the 80s puppets, the world design is fantastic and the story has plenty of political intrigue/plot twists if you're missing Game of Thrones. Lots of big names in the voice cast, and they throw in some body horror stuff to keep it firmly rooted in 80s-style fantasy. (example: one of the characters has super nasty oozing sores)

Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
re: Aggretsuko, I feel like everyone kind of forgets it's a Sanrio show.

like, there's a lot of room to rock the boat in the show's premise, but Sanrio is not generally a boat-rocking company. if anything, it's sort of a shock that they took this long to fully settle on "she wants to be a tradwife and loves her wage slave job" instead of that basically being the premise from moment one.