Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SubNat posted:

Now that I've rattled around in the tutorial for a bit, I figured I'd start a proper game.

And huh, I guess the achiements have gotten even stricter?
You -have- to be in ironman mode for achievements to be active.
Also any game rule/option that makes the game easier also disabled achievements.

That was how it worked in CK2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
2.5 hours for a max speed observer game from 1066. Not bad at all for a 6 yeah old computer. Here are some screens from the end map.

And yes, opening the Ali/Seljuk Dynasty Tree does freeze the game for a few minutes.

Edit: Scratch the few minutes, trying to open that crashes the game.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 1, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sigh. The tutorial is still frustrating, because it says things like "Now arrange alliance" without telling you which button that is. Anyway, am now attacking other counties a++.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
noooo first crash to desktop

I was clicking the battle victory report

hope there's an autosave

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My fabricate claim succeeded. Oh right it also costs gold. Well get the claim and I'll be in debt. Oh I can't start a war while in debt. Can I borrow money? Yes but the Pope doesn't like me enough yet. ***time passes*** OK now I can start war. Woops, not enough troops to seige my target. Can I hire some? Nope not enough money. Oh well the Pope likes me enough now. Get the gold, spend on troops, win war. Create duchy title? Nope need even more gold now.

Gold is important in this game!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My Spymaster showed up with a "Hey I just found out a secret about one of your courtiers you can blackmail them with!"

The secret was she, my Spymaster, was banging some married dude.

I don't think I should be trusting her with my secrets.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My Spymaster showed up with a "Hey I just found out a secret about one of your courtiers you can blackmail them with!"

The secret was she, my Spymaster, was banging some married dude.

I don't think I should be trusting her with my secrets.

Not quite as exciting as Roger a Muirebe

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone explain how you get justification to invade a territory via marriage? Would it be via having a child with a claim?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Formed and conquered all of Ireland by 1072. My vassals hate me and there is a large independence faction brewing, but it still counts :colbert:

Tutorial Munster gets a bunch of bonuses that you don't get if you select it from the map, like gold, prestige and free buildings.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

married a giant, my son was born a giant, was like hell yeah this is gonna be a good start. immediately i get wardecced and some dude takes over my duchy, game over.

game owns

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

My only problem so far is that some UI elements are way too small. Like, the powerful vassal icon on a vassal's character screen is just tiny and I didn't even notice it until I accidentally hovered over it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm sure there's a reason but why is it so hard to tell the AI "you are fighting a defensive war with a smaller army so just stay home and defend your capital"? They still just wander off somewhere random.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is there any way to filter on "invite to court?" I need some better diplomats but I just keep getting "will not accept."

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Is there any way to filter on "invite to court?" I need some better diplomats but I just keep getting "will not accept."

I believe they purposefully nerfed this. It's supposed to be near impossible to invite someone without a hook. Since courtiers leave the court and become wanderers after a few years, you are supposed to just get a steady flow of people over time and not be able to pick and choose (without effort).

Claimants should naturally gravitate to realms nearby their target and leave to the next one if the ruler isn't able/willing to press their claim too.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 1, 2020

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
cloud saves does it have them?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

get me HQ! posted:

Yes

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So this morning I pre-ordered (?) the game through the Paradox store. Seems like I can download the game through Paradox's launcher but I can't figure out how to find a Steam key to redeem. On their website they list both CK3 and CK3 (steam) and I have a receipt and everything, but I don't see anywhere I can request a key. My Paradox account is linked to my Steam account too. Anyone else run into this problem?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Well I made it through the tutorial text and am not totally exhausted already, so there's a victory over my attempts to play CK2.

The guy that you have to "liberate" a county from first in the tutorial is really unhappy with me and wants to be on my council. I made him my spymaster, nothing bad can possibly happen here!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

If I have a claim on a vassal's barony, i can't seem do declare war on him. How do I demand/press a claim?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Before release there was some mention of ancient Egyptian religion being in the game in some form, who actually has it? The Kushites?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

Can someone explain how you get justification to invade a territory via marriage? Would it be via having a child with a claim?

I haven't dug into CK3 yet, but in CK2 if you marry someone with a claim, and they have a child with you, they can inherit it.

If it's a strong claim, you can push that claim immediately. If that child is your vassal, or part of your dynasty, and the title permits it, they will remain your vassal.

If it's a weak claim, you can only push it if the target is a child, a woman, or a few other special circumastances.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

If I have a claim on a vassal's barony, i can't seem do declare war on him. How do I demand/press a claim?

I could be wrong, I believe that baronies have to be vassals of or directly owned by the county holder now. No more split baronies expect in special circumstances like holy orders.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres the freakin ledger???

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zeron posted:

I believe they purposefully nerfed this. It's supposed to be near impossible to invite someone without a hook. Since courtiers leave the court and become wanderers after a few years, you are supposed to just get a steady flow of people over time and not be able to pick and choose (without effort).

Claimants should naturally gravitate to realms nearby their target and leave to the next one if the ruler isn't able/willing to press their claim too.

This makes sense, but I'll miss it. It was probably overpowered, but I enjoyed getting to choose the fresh blood in the story.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Zeron posted:

I could be wrong, I believe that baronies have to be vassals of or directly owned by the county holder now. No more split baronies expect in special circumstances like holy orders.

I have a claim on a dukes castle, i misspoke.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I rolled the debbie dice, got two attractive daughters and a lunatic son :getin:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Asehujiko posted:

Before release there was some mention of ancient Egyptian religion being in the game in some form, who actually has it? The Kushites?

It's called Kushitism in the game. There are a few rulers who start with it in the earlier start date in the kingdoms around Nubia.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played as the Duke of Bohemia for three hours. Some random Italian dude sneaked into my room and taught me new ways to use my chamber pot and made me a deviant, which is I guess illegal in the HRE so the Emperor tried to arrest me. Resisted arrest. Emperor sent literally 3 knights to try to arrest me, I have an army of 4500 with 1500 MAA and 14 knights. I immediately seduced the Emperor's wife then depose of him. Crusade declared, made my bastard grandson the beneficiary, send army to capture cities while the other crusading army ran all over chasing the Muslim armies. Grandson became king of Jerusalem. Pretty eventful and fun for a quick learning game.

Overall impression is pretty good. Feels better optimized. There's more resources to do more things than CK2 (money is flowing in like crazy, actually starts to feel a bit tedious with how much you can fiddle with building up your holdings).

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Turns out you can just randomly get bubonic plague.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yea death seems to be kinda random

also trip report: multiplayer in this is actually... really good! like, comparable to hoi4's smoothness. Unfortunately the paradox server honkiness seems to cause desyncs after a bit, but assumedly that'll be fixed.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Zero One posted:

Yeah Dad, I know.

“Hey little kid. I hosed YOUR MOM LUL”

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

How do I stop important people from dying in fights? Seems like even when I win my brother/marshal/son ends up dead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
PSA for people used to land-grabbing in CK2: The way it works in CK3 is that if you have a courtier with a claim on a lower-level title, you can just push that claim, and they'll be your vassal (and also love you a lot) afterwards. No shenanigans with needing to grant them some other landed title first (and the ensuing border gore).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Decided to join the first crusade that got called because I wasn't particularly busy at the time, my army of 2000 Irishmen spent six months sailing to Jerusalem, lost a single battle, then when the crusade ended my sister was made Queen of Jerusalem. Good luck to her!

Starks posted:

How do I stop important people from dying in fights? Seems like even when I win my brother/marshal/son ends up dead.
I think all your named characters are Knights so to go the army tab, the knight tab, then specifically forbid them from being knights.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

you can't go to war with your own vassals. you can try to revoke the title though, this is something you can do with or without a claim

Starks posted:

go to the knights screen and you can forbid certain people from being knights. or, if you want to kill someone, force them to be a knight

Willfrey posted:

I rolled the debbie dice, got two attractive daughters and a lunatic son :getin:

old: glitterhoof
new: debbie

get me HQ! posted:

when you start a new game you can toggle local or cloud save. not sure if you can change it later

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Starks posted:

The most foolproof way is to not have them engage in battle.
(You can manage who gets to be your knights, if you don't want important people to die, don't let them command, and don't let them be knights.)
After that, I guess super-overpowering them.
The martial lifestyle tree has a couple perks that reduce the chances of allies getting hurt/wounded too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How are you guys enjoying the game so far?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So, uh, I'm stuck on the first siege in the tutorial, the siege of Desmond. The game raises about 500 soldiers and then after the first battle that's diminished a bit, but the garrison in the place you're besieging is larger than that, so the siege isn't progressing. I tried raising men at arms using gold and added some onagers to the siege, but it was still stuck with the red "siege will not progress" text. What do you do here? Just start over and hope for better luck with the first battle in the tutorial next time?

Crusader Kings is my great bane because everyone loves it and I want to love it but I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing half the time, or when I can, how to effectively do it. It isn't that PDX games are too much for me, really, Victoria II is one of my most played games of all time so I think I can navigate the interfaces and stuff just fine, but with EU and CK there are always these confusing roadblocks that I can't just intuitively make sense of the same way I could in Victoria, which I know sounds insane because Victoria is much, much less intuitive

any tips? what am I missing? I could never get through the irish king campaign in CK2, either, largely for the same reasons, though this seems to have less "wait around doing nothing and hoping an event with some significance fires" going on

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SubNat posted:

The most foolproof way is to not have them engage in battle.
(You can manage who gets to be your knights, if you don't want important people to die, don't let them command, and don't let them be knights.)
After that, I guess super-overpowering them.
The martial lifestyle tree has a couple perks that reduce the chances of allies getting hurt/wounded too.

luxury handset posted:

go to the knights screen and you can forbid certain people from being knights. or, if you want to kill someone, force them to be a knight

Pierson posted:

I think all your named characters are Knights so to go the army tab, the knight tab, then specifically forbid them from being knights.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Digital Osmosis posted:

So this morning I pre-ordered (?) the game through the Paradox store. Seems like I can download the game through Paradox's launcher but I can't figure out how to find a Steam key to redeem. On their website they list both CK3 and CK3 (steam) and I have a receipt and everything, but I don't see anywhere I can request a key. My Paradox account is linked to my Steam account too. Anyone else run into this problem?

I had a problem with my purchase not showing up in Paradox at all (!) and I filed a ticket attaching my receipt. They got back to me within an hour with the key.

e: Frog Act, I'm frustrated, too. I'm going to ease up for today and go in again tomorrow. I completed the tasks in the tutorial, whee, and then went into a downward spiral. I'm going to start tomorrow someplace that doesn't have gavelkind succession.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 1, 2020