Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like to think that Jake Wind was always that dude's name and after the Death Stranding he was just like "well when's an opportunity like this gonna come around again" as he hiked toward the wind farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Sam's mother's name was Lisa Bridges.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wheeee posted:

All you need to know about Death Stranding is that it's a Kojima game in which you play a man named Sam Porter Bridges, who works as a porter, for an organization named Bridges.

See I thought that their names just kind of changed depending on what they're doing. Like Sam is his name and Porter Bridges is just how post-america people identify one another or is assigned to them when taking contracts. I'd think he'd be Sam Porter Fragile if he hadn't had an ongoing contract with Bridges or if he finished/ended his Bridges contract but was still on his Fragile one. Then again, Kojima game, could also end up being his mom was Samantha Porter and his dad was Samothy Bridges and they wanted to keep a good theme rolling. Die Hardman probably just short for Dieter Hardman. I could also see America going through a phase where "The" becomes a popular baby name which explains a lot of other people's names too.

I would also accept that Sam's in-universe name turns out to be Norman Reedus.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Khanstant posted:

I would also accept that Sam's in-universe name turns out to be Norman Reedus.

It seems like they’re saying it is, at least that’s what I’ve learned while he takes a poo poo

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

thumper57 posted:

Only because she essentially belonged to the Bridges corporation

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

thumper57 posted:

I don't think he took on a company name, he took on his biological mother's name. Which is definitely something a person who knows they were adopted might do if they were trying to distance themselves from their adopted parents. This isn't one of Kojima's insane plot twists, he just changed his last name. The game isn't super clear on it but I do believe Sam knows he's adopted, he just doesn't know the circumstances or his dad.

People have weird names because Kojima subscribes to the Thomas Pynchon school of naming, where character names are often used as short hand to tell the reader who they are and sometimes make really dumb puns like Die Hardman.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Kojima knows just enough English to be dangerously good

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

People taking new/odd names after societal collapse reminded me of Stephen King's The Stand. In the book, I remember nobody batting an eye when Trashcan Man introduced himself to Flagg's people, and another guy called himself Ace High. I mean, there's no need to worry about having your name tied to some government database or pension plan anymore, so gently caress it. Call yourself whatever you like.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I just thought it was a Japanese thing? Didn't people name themselves after their profession in the not-that-distant past?

I know Europeans did farther back- Sam Fisher would have had fisherman ancestors somewhere, Sam Smith, Sam Baker, ect ect...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Read Max Barry’s excellent Jennifer Government for more of that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Midjack posted:

Read Max Barry’s excellent Jennifer Government for more of that.

I dunno, if the book was any good I'm sure his last name would be Author instead

night slime
May 14, 2014
The max implies he's the best Barry there is

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
"Max, it's Book Readman here"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still remember the stream (?) when they revealed the names of the cast and it felt like the internet had a collective stroke when they reached Die Hardman.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This game is actually tempting me to see The Postman, would it give me enough DS vibes to make it worth it or is it three hours of trash?

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Snowy posted:

This game is actually tempting me to see The Postman, would it give me enough DS vibes to make it worth it or is it three hours of trash?

Lol it's an ok movie but unlike Death Stranding at all imo.

I think the thread title should have changed ages ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

It’s pretty bad. The book it was based on (same name, written by Brin) is somewhat less terrible but still kind of an eye roll in places.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mycot posted:

I still remember the stream (?) when they revealed the names of the cast and it felt like the internet had a collective stroke when they reached Die Hardman.

I never thought he could top HOT COLDMAN, but here we are...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snowy posted:

it's not as bad as waterworld but idk costner must have gone through a real nic cage period in life during the mid/late 90s or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite reveal about Die Hardman is that in the post-game interview unlockables you find out that his name really actually for-real is John McClane and that's why he is called Die Hardman.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Made some more progress, still have no clue what the good goddamn is going on.

Ran into a couple of MULEs. Apparently they're obsessed with hoarding cargo? I got detected and had to fight them off. After knocking them out, I wondered why Sam didn't just kill them and be done, but then I remembered "oh yeah, dead bodies explode like atomic bombs or something".

I was given some bombs made of poop ( :darksouls:) to throw at BTs, but I couldn't tell if it did anything.

I got a trike! Neat! Is there any way to rappel this thing up a steep cliff, or am I stuck driving around?

Any non-spoilery tips for a newbie at this point? I took a look at the Before I Play page for DS and have been using that as an early guide so far.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I recently finished the game and still have no idea what if anything any of the EX grenades did.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the piss and poo poo grenades will make BTs move toward/away from their impact sites

they aren't actually really useful beyond the very early game, once you get blood grenades you're basically set

The Zombie Guy posted:

Any non-spoilery tips for a newbie at this point? I took a look at the Before I Play page for DS and have been using that as an early guide so far.

explore and try out all the new gadgets and poo poo you get, and just do whatever feels right in pursuit of your very important duties; treat it like a sandbox

also as you get further into the game more and more options for traveling and building up infrastructure open up so don't feel the need to obsessively 100% all the places you find right away

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

CJacobs posted:

My favorite reveal about Die Hardman is that in the post-game interview unlockables you find out that his name really actually for-real is John McClane and that's why he is called Die Hardman.

this is genuinely my favorite kojima thing i think

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of kojima things, here's a neat little detail I haven't seen anyone mention which I just coincidentally got some footage of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1C50Iyihg

If you manage to trigger a radio dialogue while one is already in progress, the caller will stop and clear their throat to make the transition between them sound a bit more natural. Other than this specific spot I honestly can't recall any other times where this could potentially happen!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of kojima things, here's a neat little detail I haven't seen anyone mention which I just coincidentally got some footage of.

If you manage to trigger a radio dialogue while one is already in progress, the caller will stop and clear their throat to make the transition between them sound a bit more natural. Other than this specific spot I honestly can't recall any other times where this could potentially happen!

This is such a simple idea! I had no clue this was a thing, but it's such a good solution to switch voice clips like that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For some reason that's very funny to me. Probably because you never hear voice actors clear their throat in games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you want a Fractal Define 7 PC case that's custom-skinned to look like it was made by BRIDGES?

Uh... You don't want that?

Well, neither do I, but Tsukumo is making one anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMu9Yr-sFb8

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1274676.html

edit:

I N T R O D U C I N G
DEATH STRANDING PC CASE

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

The only Death Stranding merch I'd want is the Bridges hat, but that's been sold out for ages. :(

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
If I want a Death Stranding case I'll just pour a quart of motor oil over my computer.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Shinmera posted:

The only Death Stranding merch I'd want is the Bridges hat, but that's been sold out for ages. :(

I just got the official one as a gift and it was sort of disappointing. I assumed the text would be embroidered but it's just printed on and looks pretty cheap. Still love it and all, guess I should have expected it with it being video game merch.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I just got the official one as a gift and it was sort of disappointing. I assumed the text would be embroidered but it's just printed on and looks pretty cheap. Still love it and all, guess I should have expected it with it being video game merch.

Aw man, that's a shame.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

I got an unofficial one off Amazon, and the text is embroidered and it looks really great.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Video game merch lives in bizarro world where the official stuff is cheaply made poo poo and you actually want a knockoff someone on etsy made.

night slime
May 14, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Someone was posting in the MGS thread about how for MGS2 Kojima had designers keep a little notebook to put ideas for little details in and they took the best stuff. This seems like that sort of neat thing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Saint Freak posted:

Video game merch lives in bizarro world where the official stuff is cheaply made poo poo and you actually want a knockoff someone on etsy made.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lest we forget the sins of the Dark Souls 3 collector's edition Estus Flask.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Saint Freak posted:

Wow drat you’re not kidding, there’s some impressive DS stuff on Etsy.

I don’t really want any of it but it’s impressive :v:

These would be good if you didn’t want to lose a key

Ok this is extremely tempting, only because I use respirators like this at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you do want a custom embroidered BRIDGES hat, this is the best one I found at a glance on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/NeedleLittlSomething

It's not in the listing since it's a one-off so you'll have to request it as a custom order (left hand side on their etsy page). Since they've done BRIDGES hats already they'll surely know what you're talking about. Not sure what the price would be but you can specify any hat or thread colors you want so that's cool.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 3, 2020