Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dorium posted:

snagged one of the 300

You lucky bastard.

I did the pre-order. I know open preorders aren't really that practical with most records but I'm glad they had the common sense to realize this one was big enough to warrant it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Hey what's the name of that record cleaning thing you attach to a shop vac?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The Vinyl Vac? Guess they sell them on amazon now. I got mine directly from the guy. I used it a few times with a broken record player as the base but that was kind of annoying though it did do a good job of getting dust off. I always meant to make a sturdy base with a lazy susan or something but never got around to it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VinylVacOfficial

Edit:

Here is the new stoner rock mix that my mullet made.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/mosshole-mullet-mix-8252020/

sporklift fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 28, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

The Vinyl Vac? Guess they sell them on amazon now. I got mine directly from the guy. I used it a few times with a broken record player as the base but that was kind of annoying though it did do a good job of getting dust off. I always meant to make a sturdy base with a lazy susan or something but never got around to it.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VinylVacOfficial

Edit:

Here is the new stoner rock mix that my mullet made.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/mosshole-mullet-mix-8252020/

There was someone else who made one that had its own base that you could turn.

edit: I found it by digging through the thread. It's called the squeaky clean.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 28, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

yea this thing is awesome and the guy who manufactures them is super cool. I emailed him about a part that broke (the spindle attachment) and he sent me a box of them for free and paid for the shipping too. Once you're a customer he takes care of you.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

There was someone else who made one that had its own base that you could turn.

edit: I found it by digging through the thread. It's called the squeaky clean.

Oh yeah. Those look cool. If I remember he was frequently sold out when I was looking into it a while back. Also almost $150 shipped. I have a spin clean I snagged for pretty cheap but mostly just use water or alcohol and a microfiber cloth for a quick clean.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

You lucky bastard.

I did the pre-order. I know open preorders aren't really that practical with most records but I'm glad they had the common sense to realize this one was big enough to warrant it.

Not sure why I wasn't on this one. Glad there's an open pre order though. My copy of Studio 54 got here today.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I finally have a picture disc that plays flawlessly :toot:

I just assumed it would play like crap from experience

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

incoherent posted:

This ones a light one for me:
Core wants: mac demarco Other Here Comes The Cowboy Demos

Nice to haves: David bowie live, Gorillaz C & D sides, Cherry bomb & Cherry bomb instrumental.

My wants from the next two drops: Bill Evans ‎– Some Other Time repress, Freddy Gibs and mad lib Pinata '74 (remaster half-speed!)

I managed to get the Bowie record a day early. I was on the fence because I had other '74 live records. The sound quality is OK, but the versions of the songs are great. When they said it was more soul I wasn't expecting it to be as drastically different from the normal versions of the songs as it is.

Edit: I don't have Cracked Actor, so I'm not sure how similar this is to that material.

Asnorban fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 28, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My weekend project is to catalogue my records for selling. What's a good place for pricing? Discogs still the main area to get a decent estimate? I was going to try to sell locally via CL (NYC/Manhattan).

I have no clue what to price the Mars Vola - FTM I own. Couple other rarities too, but that's my crowning jewel (and the one i'm most sad to sell)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

cheese eats mouse posted:

My weekend project is to catalogue my records for selling. What's a good place for pricing? Discogs still the main area to get a decent estimate? I was going to try to sell locally via CL (NYC/Manhattan).

I have no clue what to price the Mars Vola - FTM I own. Couple other rarities too, but that's my crowning jewel (and the one i'm most sad to sell)

Discogs, but check for what is currently listed and for what. Not sure if you can see recent sales or not on there. Most of the record stores in my area that I trust price based off of a combination of discogs median and what's for sale, adjusting down a bit unless it's something particularly rare that they know they can sell.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

cheese eats mouse posted:

I have no clue what to price the Mars Vola - FTM I own.

speaking from experience: $120 to 150

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/aloecityrecords/status/1299043532699848705?s=20
That came out today. Bandcamp still has the waves variant up. The actual site still has cotton candy if you prefer that and it's cheaper in USD. I picked up cotton candy.

https://www.aloecityrecords.com

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That looks really good the timing is bad for me. Aw well.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Detective No. 27 posted:

That looks really good the timing is bad for me. Aw well.

Yeah, I ended up setting a hard budget on records. No more than $100 a month. I'm okay with that since I'm not spending as much on entertainment as I would be pre-covid.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If anyone finds Galaxie 500 Copenhagen in stock for a non-astronomical price please PM me. My local stores didn't get it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Managed to snag everything I wanted (plus a random OP of Herbie Hancock's 'Head Hunters') from two stores total. It was incredibly slow out there, but I guess that's because of a pandemic and half my state being on fire.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Picked up Gene Russell and that was it. One store had a single copy of Nat Turner Rebellion which had already been sold when I got there while two other stores never even got it in. I might just keep an eye on discogs, I can't imagine it'll sell for too much, especially since you can still pick up the VMP version cheap.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
unlike yall I decided to stay inside and wait for record stores to put their stock online, a clever mov-

oh :smith:

got it to load the front page so i could see they still at least have g-sides and d-sides in stock (pretty sure no bowie tho :argh:) but can't get the product pages to load now, blegh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 29, 2020

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I went to my usual record store two hours after they opened this morning and there was like no one there and they still had a Spacehog for me to buy :dance: :dance: :dance:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh god d-sides is a $40 3LP release why the gently caress didn't they just drop all the remixes :negative:

skippin that, too completionist for my tastes. looks like rough trade does still have the bowie live album so I might pick that up, I assume that'll come to digital in a week or two but it seems neat to have on vinyl

this hobby sucks

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 29, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Welcome to the blackout is the only live Bowie I need. And I cherish it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i just have a disgusting copy of david live i got from a friend who moved into a place where a previous tenant left a bunch of records behind, and then an excellent bootleg of what later became the ziggy stardust the motion picture soundtrack

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I successfully got what I wanted, plus got the psych pop record because it looked interesting. Though given how little variety of stuff a largish record store was able to get I don't have much hope for getting Parish Hall next month. Was quite busy at the store, even with the owner doing timed tickets to the RSD stuff. Didn't hit up any other shops though. Kinda feel bad now for the guys who missed out on Bowie, he had like two crates to himself practically, one for each release at my local shop. And finally there was the 007 ska box set there but lol at $60 for five singles, I couldn't justify it no matter how much I like Bond music.

Stealth edit: I got me a copy of Man Who Sold the World like last week, I'm good. Lame black and white "baseball pitcher" cover and all.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

oh god d-sides is a $40 3LP release why the gently caress didn't they just drop all the remixes :negative:

skippin that, too completionist for my tastes. looks like rough trade does still have the bowie live album so I might pick that up, I assume that'll come to digital in a week or two but it seems neat to have on vinyl

this hobby sucks

I literally just bought it off their site if you want to try again

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Lots more Space Hog fans than I thought.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

Stealth edit: I got me a copy of Man Who Sold the World like last week, I'm good. Lame black and white "baseball pitcher" cover and all.

That’s the one I have too. Got it at a flea market for like 3 bucks 20 years ago. Kinda sounds like crap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Is there somewhere that's already letting people order poo poo. My guys couldn't get Door Door.

edit: Turns out no one got Door Door because it's in the next wave.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Welcome to the blackout is the only live Bowie I need. And I cherish it

Yeah that album loving rules. The version of Station to Station on there is bananas.I have several Bowie live albums and Welcome to the Blackout is probably the best and that's no faint praise.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 30, 2020

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I got 0 of the 2 things I wanted for record store day so I’m going to go back to not participating.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

abraham linksys posted:

i just have a disgusting copy of david live i got from a friend who moved into a place where a previous tenant left a bunch of records behind, and then an excellent bootleg of what later became the ziggy stardust the motion picture soundtrack

I think every copy of David live is disgusting by default if it makes you feel any better. Mine was the most rotted out heap of poo poo I owned until I pawned it off on my sister.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
Did anyone get the Denzel Curry 7” Bulls on Parade/I Against I?

Didn’t notice it when I looked at yesterday’s drops but saw it mentioned on a website yesterday afternoon. I would have loved a copy

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Zero wants in this weekend's RSD. I might drag myself out come September for those Residents and Death Piggy releases.

Just got in the mail:

I think this is the fourth Hardy Fox release/reissue within the last month or two, including a new posthumous album? I wouldn't be surprised if he has a vault of tapes for every occasion, Brian Oblivion-style.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ordered a MonoNeon album https://www.diggersfactory.com/vinyl/227485/mononeon-living-the-best-and-worst-life-at-the-same-drat-time

I'm sure I'll have forgotten about it by the time it shows up.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 31, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh gently caress

https://twitter.com/LilEdit/status/1300498796674125824?s=19

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Holy poo poo. Glad he is ok.

So I was riding my bike to work and I rolled past a Technics record player on the side of the road. I kept going for a couple blocks but thought eh, I have some time maybe I should go check it out. Looked intact and after a struggle got it strapped to my backpack and rode to work. Even if it was busted I had been wanting something for my vinyl vac thingy. Turns out it was the SL D2, same as I have in my living room. So not only could I use it as a base for a record cleaner I could cannibalize parts if needed. Got off work and lugged it home. Plugged it in and it works. Just needed a new stylus and a little tweaking but it's in a little bit better condition than the one I bought a few months ago. Funny I can just pick the actual turntable up off the side of the street but the dust cover will set me back $70 (my current table didn't have a cover either)

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 1, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I worry that seconds from now Mark will go down right after recovering.

Oh hey, Sacred Bones is releasing what seems to be a full length album from the villain from Mandy, records and 8-Tracks. I appreciate them going full Residents Dyin' Dog with the narrative. Saying that Light in the Attic wouldn't touch the album was a nice touch.

EDIT: Ha, they even did a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZiUYql2oE

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

I would like to share a homemade record I found recently. One of the most beautiful voices ever put to vinyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReIb0aozgo

You might like Ephemeral. It's a podcast about, well, ephemera, especially music and other recordings. There's a whole episode about handmade records, and several others focus on interesting obscure music and subcultures.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Ebay has a coupon HAPPY25. Gives you $25 off any purchase over $25.01. Seems to be given out older accounts so YMMV. The email also told me that my first purchase was this record. https://youtu.be/JXtJEzvzJT8 which is still one of my favorite records. Anyway I used the coupon to buy this record https://thevinylfactory.com/news/analog-africa-cumbia-ranil-y-su-conjuto-tropical-vinyl/

caligulamprey posted:

I worry that seconds from now Mark will go down right after recovering.

Oh hey, Sacred Bones is releasing what seems to be a full length album from the villain from Mandy, records and 8-Tracks. I appreciate them going full Residents Dyin' Dog with the narrative. Saying that Light in the Attic wouldn't touch the album was a nice touch.

EDIT: Ha, they even did a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZiUYql2oE

All versions include liner notes by Genesis Breyer P-Orridge
Kinda want this but I've spent way too much on records this month.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

its a fun idea to release that record, but meh. dont need it. now get me a Cheddar Goblin 7" with the theme song, a box of cheddar goblin macaroni and one of those old school ghostbusters capsules of cheddar goblin vomit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

its a fun idea to release that record, but meh. dont need it. now get me a Cheddar Goblin 7" with the theme song, a box of cheddar goblin macaroni and one of those old school ghostbusters capsules of cheddar goblin vomit.

If the movie had been slightly more popular you could almost guarantee Mondo would have done this.