Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
You got the broad strokes, though it is pretty funny how self-aware everyone from Earth is in the situation.

Particularly on your side.

'Be honest with me here, is ARKS one of those groups where the weirdos are running things?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I never played through it but watched most of the major story scenes on YouTube way back when. Basically:

I have some minor corrections/ extra details. Also that last paragraph is stuff that appears to be beyond the actual released episode 4 story.

You've been out for three years. Matoi gets out 6 months before you but because of some shenanigans with apprentice she has to go back into cryosleep until later in the episode. ARKs' structure has changed and you have a personal navigator named Xiera. She's part Xiao.

When you first meet Hitsugi, the main character of this episode, she's playing as a PSO2 avatar. The real Hitsugi is a girl with red hair. Her avatar is a blonde haired boy. You go on a mission to kill falspawn with her. A smoke person appears. The smoke person is a new Dark Falz. The Dark Falz tries to possess Hitsugi. You use your miracle photons to fight it, and she logs out. This creates Al who takes the form of Hitsugi's PSO2 Avatar. Al is half Dark Falz, half aether which turns out to be photons but different, and half photons.

You then have a bunch of incredibly dull cut scenes with Hitsugi and her friend Kohri where you learn a bit about Earth. It's not our Earth. They have something called Aether which does stuff like magic but they see it as technology. Something called Mother is important in the world and Hitsugi and Kohri work for Mother Corps who follow this Mother. Their main job is playing PSO2 and finding bugs. They think PSO2 is a game. It's not.

Mother begins sending her most trusted servants (none of these people matter except creepy doctor guy Ophiel and Phaleg AKA Lady Goku) to retrieve Al. They each seem to have their unique powers to use aether in addition to being able to summon phantasms. Phantasms are stuff made of aether. They can be purposely made but they are also naturally occurring. You later learn that Phantasms have been showing up through human history and that an organization of people who can also use aether (Earth Guide) have been handling them. Hitsugi's brother Enga works for this organization. It's led by a guy named Adam.

Hitsugi gains the ability to make a magical katana to fight off Mother's forces and the phantasms. Then Hitsugi begins working with Enga, Earth Guide, and ARKs to fight Mother. This goes badly when it turns out Kohri has joined Mother's forces/been evil brainwashed. She gets a giant sword and stabs Hitsugi. Hitsugi gets captured and while she's being rescued Mother invades the ARKs ship. Turns out she's a failed Xion clone that the photoners dumped and she's back for revenge! Xiera says this and Mother actually says something like "yup that's it no need to explain more". Mother absorbs Al and gains power over photon and aether but is forced away when Hitsugi gains resolve and a better katana.

Hitsugi fights Kohri and cuts the evil mind control out of her. Kohri is on the good guys' side now.

Hitsugi goes to the moon and fight Mother to save Al. Hitsugi beats her up and she loses control of the Dark Falz part of Al. Hitsugi uses her katana and cuts Dark Falz Mother so good that she completely separates the Dark Falz from Al and then she becomes friends with Mother again who was only lonely and seeking acknowledgement. Mother isn't able to complete a sentence before she's stabbed in the back...by Adam. Turns out he's an ageless being who has been famous people throughout history like Merlin and Abe no Seimei. Ophiel was working for him all along. He absorbs Mother and starts talking about human evolution. Phaleg reappears in the story and it turns out she's another ageless being who hates Adam. Adam teleports away.

That's where the story ends so far. Oh yeah. I forgot one thing.

So it's pretty clear that you're kind of unimportant to the story. They try to talk about your bond to Hitsugi and Al but really, you're just there to provide muscle BECAUSE YOU ARE THE STRONGEST ARK EVEN PHALEG KNOWS THAT YOUR POWER IS REAL. Phaleg is frickin Superman. Come on game.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 31, 2020

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ah ok, thanks. It’s been a while and I haven’t played the US version much.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Thanks for that, now I can feel confident in skipping everything else. I gave it an honest shot but anime storytime and the start just made me want to die.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Gahhhhhh!

This game is so goddamned anime that I kinda hate it but it's so good at the same time! When I was playing on the Japanese servers years ago, I was working through Ep 4 and was so bored of it since I can't understand enough Japanese to get the full meaning of the story. Wound up giving up on it mid way through.
Now that I CAN understand it, once it really picked up I'l hitting the wall every time I finish off the current available story missions/segments for Ep 4 on the En server.

It's so cheesy but I need more!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The early parts are terrible-stupid anime shlock but it definitely becomes kinda fun-stupid anime shlock later on.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Was gonna take the game for a spin tonight so I was looking up the various classes and such and from the OP two stand out to me:

Gunner and fighter both seem like my kinda fun as someone who loves Combos and Ripping and Tearing and such. Is one of them much better than the others? Any particular issue with just starting with them ASAP?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The early parts are terrible-stupid anime shlock but it definitely becomes kinda fun-stupid anime shlock later on.

tbh I wish they'd lingered a bit longer on the terrible-stupid "Boy I looove my favorite video game PSO2 it's the best!!!" bullshit even if what it became was better/more coherent

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
They are both heavily dependant on iframes generated during attacks for defense, so when you get to higher difficulties and dealing with mobs that actually fight back, you're going to be on Dark Souls difficulty compared to classes that can block or do their damage from farther away.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ardeem posted:

They are both heavily dependant on iframes generated during attacks for defense, so when you get to higher difficulties and dealing with mobs that actually fight back, you're going to be on Dark Souls difficulty compared to classes that can block or do their damage from farther away.

But are they fun tho? I don't mind it getting hard to keep up as long as the classes are solidly fun to play

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Was gonna take the game for a spin tonight so I was looking up the various classes and such and from the OP two stand out to me:

Gunner and fighter both seem like my kinda fun as someone who loves Combos and Ripping and Tearing and such. Is one of them much better than the others? Any particular issue with just starting with them ASAP?

No issue with just starting with them ASAP.

Fighter will have more weapon choices and be a useful subclass.

Gunner...is not a useful subclass. Stylish roll from Twin Machine Guns is a pretty solid defensive option though.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

But are they fun tho? I don't mind it getting hard to keep up as long as the classes are solidly fun to play

Fun is a very personal thing no? I will defend Hunters to the death but to other people they're a very slow and clunky class.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

No issue with just starting with them ASAP.

Fighter will have more weapon choices and be a useful subclass.

Gunner...is not a useful subclass. Stylish roll from Twin Machine Guns is a pretty solid defensive option though.

Fun is a very personal thing no? I will defend Hunters to the death but to other people they're a very slow and clunky class.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

And yeah you're definitely right on the subjective piece. I was more thinking of fun as "getting good at it means you're effective and successful." As opposed to some other MMOs where you can be the best of that class but you'll always be outshone by others, if that makes sense

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Nice! Thanks for the info.

And yeah you're definitely right on the subjective piece. I was more thinking of fun as "getting good at it means you're effective and successful." As opposed to some other MMOs where you can be the best of that class but you'll always be outshone by others, if that makes sense

Gunner and fighter are both top tier classes in terms of maximum damage output. Gunner is potentially higher but fighter isn't very far behind and requires a bit less on short windows of burst damage and more on a more consistent dps.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I've only dabbled with Gunner whereas Fighter was my main until Etoile was introduced in Episode 6 so I'm incredibly biased but in my opinion Fighter is more fun because you have three weapon types that are all somewhat viable that you can swap between so your play style is more varied, whereas Gunner is basically just Twin Machine Guns.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Fawf posted:

tbh I wish they'd lingered a bit longer on the terrible-stupid "Boy I looove my favorite video game PSO2 it's the best!!!" bullshit even if what it became was better/more coherent

Seeing bits and pieces of the JP content from afar without context in the 8 years it took to localize the game was incredible

"You just kind of go to Las Vegas and one of the bosses is a statue of liberty riding a sphinx"
"That dumb anime that was basically just a bunch of high schoolers talking about how cool PSO2 is, is actually Canon"
"This opening is just a dragon attacking a fantasy (not to be confused with phantasy) castle for some reason"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So today I found out that if the Emprappy can grab you and if they do they hug you and heal you. Now I am aware of the depths of ARKs' crimes.

I am also super hype for the next Urgent Quest. The sheer absurdity of it blew me away the first time I played it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hypocrisy posted:

So today I found out that if the Emprappy can grab you and if they do they hug you and heal you. Now I am aware of the depths of ARKs' crimes.

I am also super hype for the next Urgent Quest. The sheer absurdity of it blew me away the first time I played it.

We confronted Mother.

Now it's time to have a frank discussion with Dad.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The general rule for subclasses with what NA has so far:

Hunter: Simple unconditional damage buff, excellent survivability with auto-mate and/or Iron Will. Allows you to make a lot of mistakes with classes and live for a very long time.

Fighter: Damage, damage, and more damage. Very high damage multipliers but offers absolutely no survivability.

Summoner: Slightly weaker unconditional damage buff for mobbing compared to Hunter, roughly equivalent for bosses with good Hunter's Mark placements (which can be annoying). Offers okay survivability with passive HP regen, but also grants tech access for Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Anti.

There's some other nuances with the other classes, but in general they offer either less damage than Fighter with no extra survivability or offer a worse overall offense/defense package compared to Hunter or Summoner.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh sweet there's a thread for this

I need to catch up on 75 pages, but for now: I cannot stop playing this game, please help

I haven't played an MMO in ages (last was GW2 and I haven't played regularly in like a year or two) but oh man this is just so much fun, I love it

I guess I need to switch ships since I picked ship 3 before reading the thread, because I liked the name. :v:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The hunter damage boosts only apply to melee and ranged damage iirc, so don't use it as a force subclass.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Force wants Techter for its subclass on account of it getting Wind, Light, and Dark Mastery. And PP restorate.

(Okay, Force/Fighter exists too but I’m not sure how that works)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AweStriker posted:

Force wants Techter for its subclass on account of it getting Wind, Light, and Dark Mastery. And PP restorate.

(Okay, Force/Fighter exists too but I’m not sure how that works)

Fighter stances affect technique damage and Fighters have skills that boost damage/reduce PP cost for chaining different techniques together.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've found with force you'll generally want to be using the same skills over and over ie. Ilgrants. And going Fo/Te really makes you feel like a mad wizard.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Gigrantz-0 lawnmower mode is immensely satisfying. :black101:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
someone gift me a Majima eyepatch tia

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. I've never done this part before. How hard is it?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah this is gonna be the first UQ that I don't have any experience with at all. I actually thought Mother was the E4 Boss until that popped up the other day.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. I've never done this part before. How hard is it?
The actual fight isn't that bad since it's pretty easy to dodge or block most of his attacks when you know the tells.
The death limit is the main problem since you could be playing perfectly but if someone else in your party keeps dying you fail, or the other people in the party aren't doing enough damage so you fail the DPS check at the end of the fight.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Uhhhhhh so I just logged on, went to feed my mag, and it's an entirely different mag, what the gently caress? It's way better than the one I had but this is kinda weird

it's the only one listed on my mag list and I only had the one before anyway

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
If it gained a level, perhaps it evolved?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

motoh posted:

If it gained a level, perhaps it evolved?

That's possible, but I don't remember it being this high of level (25 now, when I am 99% sure it was like level 15 max last night) and the name shouldn't change during evolution right?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
It should only evolve at level 30 and 100. This will change its name and appearance.

If it's only level 25, it's possible you used an evolution device. What is it called now?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

motoh posted:

It should only evolve at level 30 and 100. This will change its name and appearance.

If it's only level 25, it's possible you used an evolution device. What is it called now?

Okay maybe I'm dumb, it's level 30. Maybe I leveled it farther than I thought, and didn't realize it had evolved? I swear it wasn't this far up yet when I logged off last night.

I don't recall it saying anything about it evolving, I figured it'd be a bigger deal?

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

Mags are very passive. You'll get a little system beep like when you see a rare pickup, at best. They don't announce themselves doing much of anything.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

motoh posted:

Mags are very passive. You'll get a little system beep like when you see a rare pickup, at best. They don't announce themselves doing much of anything.

Oh huh! I've been feeding it a lot lately and maybe I just didn't even notice it happen.

Still weird about the name, I swear it was different. Or maybe I'm just now noticing it, gently caress if I know. Thanks a lot!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
That one rng support and tec def ruining the perfect dex :colbert:

And yeah mags level very fast early on just from random items. Minifoods are the better, easier option though do cost a bit of money / consumable trade in. 200 is the max level. There's also another item that delevels the mag to help remove accidental point placement.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Okay maybe I'm dumb, it's level 30. Maybe I leveled it farther than I thought, and didn't realize it had evolved? I swear it wasn't this far up yet when I logged off last night.

I don't recall it saying anything about it evolving, I figured it'd be a bigger deal?

I'd be mindful what you're feeding that mag. (which you can fix later so don't sweat it for now) I'm assuming you want to max our DEX cause you're playing Bouncer and/or Braver. If so, I'd recommend feeding it PA/Tech disks which give pure DEX and won't add levels in stats that you don't want.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even better to feed it is custom discs, buy some failed custom Gigrants or whatever off the market (or make them yourself as you level crafting), they count for a LOT of Dex

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Code Jockey posted:

Still weird about the name, I swear it was different. Or maybe I'm just now noticing it, gently caress if I know. Thanks a lot!

The name changes to what shape it evolves into automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gabby_Jay posted:

The name changes to what shape it evolves into automatically.

Ohhhhhh. :duh:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Even better to feed it is custom discs, buy some failed custom Gigrants or whatever off the market (or make them yourself as you level crafting), they count for a LOT of Dex

Good to know, thanks!

Combat Lobster posted:

I'd be mindful what you're feeding that mag. (which you can fix later so don't sweat it for now) I'm assuming you want to max our DEX cause you're playing Bouncer and/or Braver. If so, I'd recommend feeding it PA/Tech disks which give pure DEX and won't add levels in stats that you don't want.

Yeah I hosed up a little in the beginning feeding it trash, before wising up and actually looking at a guide. For the last like 20 levels I've been feeding it discs. (and yep, Braver)

Also:

I keep finding new reasons to love this game