Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey all, couldn’t find a proper megathread so I’m just making an overarching thread.

My girlfriend’s father passed away a little less than a year ago.

No one seems to have dealt with a situation like this so we’re a bit confused. A lot of info is also being passed down to us telephone style and for most things, it doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know where the information is originating from, but more on that later.

When he passed, he had a life insurance policy that listed my girlfriend and her brother as *something* that means they have to put it in a trust or through a trust or whatever the proper verbiage is here. Again, this is what i’m being told, so I have no real idea if this is 100% the case. It has something to do with both of them not being listed as individuals. There’s a ton of confusion here mostly because we don’t know the terms or what we should be saying or calling things. It somehow has something to do with the money being taxed or not taxed.

The money from the policy was split and they both have checks for the money. However, it’s not as simple as “put it in your savings and be done with it” apparently. Again, lots of regurgitated information so it’s hard for me to be solidified in what’s happening. Most of what we kinda sorta know is coming from some advisor somewhere who is then telling my GF’s mother, who is in turn filling in my GF. Worst part is, GF’s mother has a tendency to either forget key things or explain them poorly until someone corrects her.

All in all, i’m asking if anyone has dealt with life insurance policies before, knows what I could be talking about, or has any advice on the best way my girlfriend can go from having this golden check and doing nothing with it to putting it into her own savings or something.

Honestly, any help is appreciated and I’ll try and answer any questions the best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
First thing, your girlfriend's father's will has an executor. Find out who that person is. Your girlfriend should deal with that person directly, to start with. She should also read the actual will, and if this is an actually decent amount of money, she should probably retain counsel at minimum to give her advice on what her options are and how to proceed.

You should also try not to involve yourself too much because you don't have any kind of legal standing here.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey all, couldn’t find a proper megathread so I’m just making an overarching thread.

My girlfriend’s father passed away a little less than a year ago.

No one seems to have dealt with a situation like this so we’re a bit confused. A lot of info is also being passed down to us telephone style and for most things, it doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know where the information is originating from, but more on that later.

When he passed, he had a life insurance policy that listed my girlfriend and her brother as *something* that means they have to put it in a trust or through a trust or whatever the proper verbiage is here. Again, this is what i’m being told, so I have no real idea if this is 100% the case. It has something to do with both of them not being listed as individuals. There’s a ton of confusion here mostly because we don’t know the terms or what we should be saying or calling things. It somehow has something to do with the money being taxed or not taxed.

The money from the policy was split and they both have checks for the money. However, it’s not as simple as “put it in your savings and be done with it” apparently. Again, lots of regurgitated information so it’s hard for me to be solidified in what’s happening. Most of what we kinda sorta know is coming from some advisor somewhere who is then telling my GF’s mother, who is in turn filling in my GF. Worst part is, GF’s mother has a tendency to either forget key things or explain them poorly until someone corrects her.

All in all, i’m asking if anyone has dealt with life insurance policies before, knows what I could be talking about, or has any advice on the best way my girlfriend can go from having this golden check and doing nothing with it to putting it into her own savings or something.

Honestly, any help is appreciated and I’ll try and answer any questions the best I can.

Hey, I came into this thread genuinely interested in helping, but unfortunately (and I am just going to say this bluntly because I recognize it's been almost a month since the OP, so you may never see this post) you missed really all of the keywords that might get me even close to the idea of what you need.

I'd listen to the above posted to start, and then come back here with more of a gist of what they are talking about. I can help walk you through anything from there from a financial planning aspect if you need, at least the basics.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

tbp posted:

Hey, I came into this thread genuinely interested in helping, but unfortunately (and I am just going to say this bluntly because I recognize it's been almost a month since the OP, so you may never see this post) you missed really all of the keywords that might get me even close to the idea of what you need.

I'd listen to the above posted to start, and then come back here with more of a gist of what they are talking about. I can help walk you through anything from there from a financial planning aspect if you need, at least the basics.

Ha, it’s all good. Couldn’t even begin to tell you what ended up happening, but it all worked out. A longtime friend of mine is a divorce lawyer and knew some people who could help us (them) out. They got everything situated between themselves and all’s good now.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ha, it’s all good. Couldn’t even begin to tell you what ended up happening, but it all worked out. A longtime friend of mine is a divorce lawyer and knew some people who could help us (them) out. They got everything situated between themselves and all’s good now.

Nice! Best of luck man