Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

I got the option to build a carp pond, so of course I did so. It's like, 50 gold, who cares?
A few days later, my son literally gets dragged into the pond and eaten by a carp in front of me.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ssthalar posted:

I got the option to build a carp pond, so of course I did so. It's like, 50 gold, who cares?
A few days later, my son literally gets dragged into the pond and eaten by a carp in front of me.

What the gently caress.

I cannot see this as anything other than a Dwarf Fortress reference because what the gently caress

E. For those not familiar with DF, there was an infamous bug involving carp. In the game your units train up strength and such by doing physically demanding things like, say, swimming. But that applies for all things, including wild animals. So you had carp, who do nothing but swim 24/7, being absolutely jacked and capable of just annihilating anything that got within range.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 2, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Found on reddit, this is an interesting change.

There's also a loving insane dynasty decision you can do:
If you can breed up a good enough dynasty head, you can basically turn your entire dynasty superhuman.

+40% chance of inheriting good traits, and +40000% chance of getting new ones. (Which I assume basically guarantees a couple good, new ones on birth.)
But I imagine to balance it, you only get 1 character with the trait, and if you can't breed it into your dynasty you probably have to try again later.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Mailer posted:

I like a lot of the new features. I dislike that in 2/2 wars a tiny force made a beeline for a holding where some random relative was and instantly kidnapped them for like 50% score, then ran two countries over to avoid combat. I bowed out ages ago on CK2 when their patch direction skewed heavily into punishing stability and expansion. It'd be cool if this one was a bit more hands-off on that.

The new partition system is somehow worse than gavelkind was, so yeah, don't hold out hope.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Found on reddit, this is an interesting change.

yea I sent this to my cousin but she's still not feeling it

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was not ready for how much prestige pressing other peoples' claims costs. I paid a claimant to stay at court and then it turned out to be a total waste since it takes 325 prestige to press someone's county claim. Is there an easy way to gain prestige? I burned through most of what the tutorial starts you with and only gain like 2 per month.

Luckily immediately after that Lollardry broke out across Scotland and Ireland so I can war for piety instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SubNat posted:

There's also a loving insane dynasty decision you can do:
If you can breed up a good enough dynasty head, you can basically turn your entire dynasty superhuman.

+40% chance of inheriting good traits, and +40000% chance of getting new ones. (Which I assume basically guarantees a couple good, new ones on birth.)
But I imagine to balance it, you only get 1 character with the trait, and if you can't breed it into your dynasty you probably have to try again later.

What the gently caress

So inbreeding is practically a great idea now, especially if you have disinheritance powers. Oh, Paradox, you weird bastards.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Here's a simple question. I get this note:

But Beatrice's Guardian is my bishop. What gives? Is it saying it SHOULD be my wife? She's already 12, seems a little late.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

I was not ready for how much prestige pressing other peoples' claims costs. I paid a claimant to stay at court and then it turned out to be a total waste since it takes 325 prestige to press someone's county claim.

Meanwhile my August ruler is sitting out here with Living Legend fame rank popping out more than 20 prestige per month with a fairly small kingdom

It does kinda suck when you spend like 1000 prestige declaring war and calling in allies, then spend 30 minutes playing whackamole with enemy armies trying to defend your capital, hold onto the objective, and get warscore, only for the war to end inconclusively because your claimant dies of something dumb.

As you say, Holy Wars are much more convenient, so there's a bright side to Catholicism's fervor dropping to 10% every few years.

AndrewP posted:

Here's a simple question. I get this note:

But Beatrice's Guardian is my bishop. What gives? Is it saying it SHOULD be my wife? She's already 12, seems a little late.

I think that's just one of the things your spouse can help with, they handle all sorts of misc tasks and it isn't related to being the child's guardian.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AnEdgelord posted:

So is Tanistry succession in Ireland just not worth it? The electors keep electing decrepit old men who everyone hates that die less than ten years after taking the throne.

tanistry is good because it's an electoral style which locks all possible candidates to members of your dynasty, thus removing the possibility your clan loses the throne

being an electoral succession type, you then have to ensure that you're properly massaging the electors to vote for your preferred candidate and not ancient uncle donnchad who hasn't mattered in 50 years

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
played 10 hours or so, mostly as King Alfonso VI of Leon.

Killed all my brothers, had to kill a few kids and got named a dynastic kinslayer on the last one.

Thats where I fully embraced dread/torturing and for the last 20 years my ruler has been keeping his factions in line by fear alone.

My wife only gave me two daughters so I seduced a wandering Capet and had a few bastards, and romanced her.

Eventually, she was imprisoned when someone found out. Well I broke her out of prison and they eloped and lived happily ever after.

Kill count of King Alfonso so far: 27. Torture rate: like 50 or so.

If you haven't tried dread yet, I highly recommend it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SubNat posted:

I don't think so, the text seems to imply it is for your whole dynasty. It's not a congenital trait, it seems to just be a bonus for your dynasty members.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

luxury handset posted:

tanistry is good because it's an electoral style which locks all possible candidates to members of your dynasty, thus removing the possibility your clan loses the throne

being an electoral succession type, you then have to ensure that you're properly massaging the electors to vote for your preferred candidate and not ancient uncle donnchad who hasn't mattered in 50 years

It would be OK to play with except the decision to take it only changes your top level title. Your duke and count level titles are still confederate. Getting the rest of your titles to Tanistry is 1500 prestige each.

If you don't have 5000+ prestige to spend you end up with the worst of both. You bribe and hook electors for years but still lose all your lands and have to play as a 1 county king.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
England has so many raiders it's hard to find a free, unraided spot. Life is tough as a viking.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The ambient sounds are great and all, but I really wish they'd stop when the game is paused, so you have an audio cue.

Other wishes:
Messages should be dissmissable by right clicking anywhere on them, not just in the title bar.
Lock tooltips with the left mouse button (I have no middle button dammit).
Filter to eliminate potential spouses who are not fertile enough to give you children

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

England has so many raiders it's hard to find a free, unraided spot. Life is tough as a viking.
Just get in a queue in front of monastery and wait for your turn to loot it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring back that awful baby noise from CK2 imo

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

Filter to eliminate potential spouses who are not fertile enough to give you children
There is a fertility filter in "arrange marriage" or whatever it is called window.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not sure I like the new raiding mechanics. CK2 was probably way too good on that front, but I feel 45 days to take 4 gold from some backwater Bishopric, and then another 50 days to get back on the boat is a bit harsh when they can just rally point beside me and dump 2k troops on me in a couple of weeks.

Getting locked into position for that long is harsh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I miss the crusades start navigating as Alexios was fun

Also some observer games and Muslims still OP

They do fracture but if they get their poo poo together for a couple decades it’s world conquest time

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

Okay, some hangups I'm having:

1) Marriage is pretty confusing. I get given a big list of names and I can differentiate between nobility and lowborn, but it's such a slog figuring out where each woman lives. I have to right click each one, zoom to their location, zoom out, and see how far it is from my kingdom. I don't really wanna marry people off to women on the far flung corners of the earth, I'd rather consolidate power and marry off to neighbouring kingdoms. Any advice on how to make this less of a painful experience?

if you mouse over the character portrait it highlights them on the map although its not always a very contrasting color

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

There is a fertility filter in "arrange marriage" or whatever it is called window.

Yes, but it does not do what I want. I don't really care if a character could get someone else pregnant but not me, as revealed by the 'chance of children' text.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way to write in-game notes about certain characters? Some Earl just gave me a heads up that one of my vassals is trying to plot against me. If it turns out right, I want to remember the fact it was this random Earl who helped me out so I can eventually give him a nice big County as thanks. But these Irish names are so hard to remember, so I guarantee I'll forget about this dude in an hour or two when I get around to conquering lands for him.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Qubee posted:

Is there a way to write in-game notes about certain characters? Some Earl just gave me a heads up that one of my vassals is trying to plot against me. If it turns out right, I want to remember the fact it was this random Earl who helped me out so I can eventually give him a nice big County as thanks. But these Irish names are so hard to remember, so I guarantee I'll forget about this dude in an hour or two when I get around to conquering lands for him.

You can pin characters and there's a little box in the top-right to show/keep track of your pins, but no way to actually take notes iirc.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Click on the barbershop button and give him a funny hat

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

You can pin characters and there's a little box in the top-right to show/keep track of your pins, but no way to actually take notes iirc.

Additionally I believe there is a "known plots" section in the Intrigue menu

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

you can pin characters, which is the only way to do anything like that afaik

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Raiding feels a lot more balanced, I gotta say. Rolling down a river as the Norse and hitting a wealthy city and getting the gently caress out before a Frank doomstack shows up is pretty fun, and there's always plenty of coastal baronies to smash and grab. The prestige generation is about as important as the gold now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's a shame, would be really great having a little notepad attached to every character so you can write your own little notes to keep track of them properly. I love the funny hat idea, but I'm just going to run with this plot and see what happens and try and resolve it quickly, so I can either reward this goober or curbstomp him to death.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

I’m also spending gold on buildings in my cities that provide tax income, is that a good expenditure of resources? I think my problem with CK is I feel like my path to progress is never as clearly delineated as it was in Victoria where I had historical goals rather than personal ones (grab spheres to form Germany, etc) so in CK where the focus is so distinctly on other things I feel a bit wandering

I got to a period where everything around me was pretty stable and I spent all my time consolidating my power. By building and upgrading my holdings over about 20 years I was able to go from 3 gold/month to over 10, and raised my levies from 2000ish to 3800. I will note I also took this time to fabricate claims on my own vassals and take their Earldoms for myself, as well as ensure my son would would be chosen through tanistry by stab stab & getting hooks by uncovering secrets. Tanistry seems much easier when you hold most the earldoms of your kingdom

When my ruler died my son was in a great position to fend off the shitstorm since everybody hates him.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

seriously how do you make the top centre popups gently caress off? is that the tooltip mode thing?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Qubee posted:

That's a shame, would be really great having a little notepad attached to every character so you can write your own little notes to keep track of them properly. I love the funny hat idea, but I'm just going to run with this plot and see what happens and try and resolve it quickly, so I can either reward this goober or curbstomp him to death.

What if I told you there was another way to incorporate a notebook into your game

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Does this start before or after the Norman conquest of England? One of my favorite starts in CK2 was Duke of York for an Anglosaxon reconquista.

Just before -- William and Harald Hardrada start at war with England so there's a decent chance of any of the three sides winning. Hell, Denmark sometimes even gets in on the fun.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

seriously how do you make the top centre popups gently caress off? is that the tooltip mode thing?

Right click.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ho boy got another basic question for the floor.

I declared war against a neighbor. My son/heir/marshal is vassal of a county and he's showing up as his own "neutral" army that I can't control. Right now he's wandering the map fighting his own wars that I have no part of. Shouldn't he be, ya know, fighting for me?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

AndrewP posted:

I declared war against a neighbor. My son/heir/marshal is vassal of a county and he's showing up as his own "neutral" army that I can't control. Right now he's wandering the map fighting his own wars that I have no part of. Shouldn't he be, ya know, fighting for me?

He already provided his due share of troops to you as a vassal, which is included in what you summoned when you raised your banners. He can do whatever he wants with the rest of his troops. You can increase how many troops he is obligated to provide by changing the obligation laws with a hook, but the only way to get all the troops out of a county is to personally own it.

So if he has 100 troops, and his obligation is set at 20%, then you can raise 20 troops under your own banner and the other 80 can do whatever he wants.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Vassals aren't obligated to follow you to war, they already gave you troops as part of your levy. People of your family can usually be called in as allies in the ticker though. You can also usually form alliances with direct family members too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Where can I see how much dread I have?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Where can I see how much dread I have?

in the faces of your enemies

(joke response)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
So I'm the king of Ireland and could declare myself the King of Wales and now I'm at the point of the game where I don't want to keep playing because I don't want my nice tidy kingdom to fall apart.

I'm a little confused about how Confederate Partition works. Will the kingdom of Wales be created if I die whether I make it or not? I have a primary heir who's unlanded and a murderer and the second-in-line to the throne is the duke of two duchies in Wales. Is it just going to fall apart no matter what I do and I need to just deal with it and let the family branch out?

As an aside, my grandson tried to kill me on a hunt. I exposed him but apparently my family would all dislike me if I put him in prison for trying to kill me so I guess he walks free. Also very confused why mayors are able to call themselves powerful vassals when I'm a drat high king.