Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm going to be a homer regardless and assume that the team didn't want to bring the tying run to the plate against a team they've only beaten once this season, especially when the guy who would be coming to bat was already 3 for 3 with a HR. I just don't think the game situation called for it to be intentional. Although, it is possible that Chapman stupidly did it all on his own and was just being his rear end in a top hat self.

The Rays' response was lovely for saying that "Somebody has to be accountable." then follow that up immediately with "The last thing I'll say on it is I got a whole drat stable full of guys that throw 98 mph. Period." You don't bring up accountability then follow that with that comment unless you're really thinking about retaliation and dragging this on.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Of course, we know why Chapman refused to comment. It's because he's a coward who's only "brave" when he has a high velocity projectile he can send the way of somebody he doesn't like, be it a baseball when he's on the mound or a gun while his girlfriend cowers in the bushes outside. When he has power it's all stares and macho bullshit. As soon as he doesn't have the power to literally kill somebody it's "no comment" or "oh let me have Montero translate for me because clearly the reporters didn't understand when I expressed zero remorse for my domestic violence." It was 100% intentional and I say again: take off your homer glasses. Chapman deserves zero benefit of the doubt from anybody and the only reason you're giving it is because for a couple hours a day a couple days a week, he wears a uniform you happen to like.

Also FWIW I never disputed the Rays response was bad, and even flat out said Cash should be suspended for implying he's going to tell his guys to headhunt. None of that is an excuse for Chapman intentionally throwing 101 at some guy's head and not even having the courage to go admit it.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 2, 2020

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
gently caress the Yankees.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AYAB

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
All Chapmans Are Bastards

Chapmen?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Chapman has also pitched like three innings this year in total. He definitely wanted to put it inside and make him uncomfortable but I don't think he was explicitly head hunting (this time anyway)

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

how are the yankees 2nd in the east with all this talent. how could you be this bad, with all these guys. i'd be mad too.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

The Pussy Boss posted:

If the alternative is a .400 winning percentage, a barren farm system and less money to spend in future seasons then... Yes, it kinda is? Red sox wouldn't be a winning team this year with Mookie, and Verdugo is off to a great start in Boston.

Yeah i have to agree, look they won a world series while having ridiculous, horrible, excruciatingly bad contracts this decade.
I think they owner did his job. I'm not gonna go find a list of the names, if you are fans you know how many bad contracts the Sox gave out.
The owner gave Dombrowski a blank check and he delivered. Dodgers took Price off their hands and i think most of the dead money they had runs out this year or the next. It's actually an amazing move. The only way it looks bad is if the Dodgers win like 3 of the next 5 world series and it seems like the Ruth curse all over again. I don't believe in that poo poo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

chamois posted:

how are the yankees 2nd in the east with all this talent. how could you be this bad, with all these guys. i'd be mad too.

Their disabled list team is a division leader in some divisions lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/sara__stock/status/1300995825330511875?s=21

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bregor posted:

Chapmen?

Aroldises Chapman

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The collective noun is a battery of chapmen

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
admittedly I've hardly been paying attention this season but how the hell did I miss that the Giants have got a catcher called Chad Tromp :psyduck:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Bregor posted:

Chapmen?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dutchy posted:

ABSOLUTELY NOT

It's just a few bad apples

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Popete posted:

It's just a few bad apples

this fine citizen was the victim of a radical antifa sinker to the head just a week ago. tired of the slanders and libels against those who field our ground balls

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chapmans are simply extracting revenge against the game at large for Ray

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this owns

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Joe Kelly got 8 games (5 on appeal) for airmailing an 80-something breaking ball a foot above Bregman's head but Chapman is gonna get bupkis for a 102mph fastball that was right at a guy's temple. Both are well-established assholes, but the Rays lack MLB's Protective Spell that the Astros conjured some time over the winter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
chapman is big and everything but he's always seemed like kind of a pussy to me, someone should make him actually fight instead of throwing baseballs at stationary people and lets see how he does

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It makes no sense for that to be intentional contextually but Chapman's scum so gently caress him. That's it. That's all the energy I can mount.

Baseball 2020: a fraction of the fun, all of the misery

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

It makes no sense for that to be intentional contextually but Chapman's scum so gently caress him. That's it. That's all the energy I can mount.

Baseball 2020: a fraction of the fun, all of the misery

Yeah if Chapman was intentionally trying to hit him there, he's a dumb, dumb motherfucker.

Which is a perfectly valid claim.

I'm still kind of in shock about how bad Cash's reaction was in the press conference though. Admitting they were intentionally throwing at Romine's head the other year and then threatening retaliation today is a hell of a move.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 2, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chapman should've gotten that ball down but Cash is such a whining baby though and the Rays have been throwing at Yankees for years so I can't feel that bad about it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pirates/status/1301204953638277121?s=21

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the record "They were first so I don't feel bad that our abuser scumbag might have tried to kill a guy" is not a take I endorse. I wish to make that clear.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chapman’s a shithead but Cash escalating matters in the postgame is just as bad. Hit em both with a suspension

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Given that the threat was made overtly in comparison to the possibility Chapman just hosed up, start the Rays but not the Yankees with a warning every time they meet for the rest of the season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is most likely the last time they play this season and there are going to be warnings up the wazzu tonight.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
both teams select a champion, the champion dons catcher gear and selects a baseball bat, and then they fight, the survivor's team wins the game

both of the yankees obvious choices are hurt as usual so they'd pick...Voit, I guess

obviously the rays go with choi

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Don’t mind me just posting rare Dansbae

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

both teams select a champion, the champion dons catcher gear and selects a baseball bat, and then they fight, the survivor's team wins the game

both of the yankees obvious choices are hurt as usual so they'd pick...Voit, I guess

Suddenly a bidding war for Puig surfaces

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

Chapman’s a shithead but Cash escalating matters in the postgame is just as bad. Hit em both with a suspension

:hai:

:lol:

Also this guy's twitter is a trip, in his bio he mentions his abilities in WoW, TFT, and Hearthstone before being a baseball player.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bewbies posted:

If this is how the AL East is going to shake out then I'm putting everything I own on Toronto and their Beefy Lads.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Sydin posted:

Also this guy's twitter is a trip, in his bio he mentions his abilities in WoW, TFT, and Hearthstone before being a baseball player.

Gotta lead with your strengths

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/thevinscully/status/1301218334365511680?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Rays probably feel that they have to prove that they aren't scared of the Yankees since they haven't beaten the Yankees in a while so that is why they throw at Yankees' all the time but they can't take their own medicine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For fucks sake, please stop posting your "they asked for it" takes.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

For fucks sake, please stop posting your "they asked for it" takes.

mcmagic has been here for 16 years and has never stopped posting his stupid disease-ridden brain takes. it aint gonna start now, pal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

mcmagic has been here for 16 years and has never stopped posting his stupid disease-ridden brain takes. it aint gonna start now, pal

and a deep drive to left by Castellanos....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Aye Doc posted:

He was making OK posts for a couple weeks earlier this year! I was really pulling for him!