Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i dunno why the pacers want every high priced second banana they can get their hands on but more power to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
second banana is extremely generous for lonzo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

oh no they're going to hire steve alford

But Aaron Holiday is actually good, hater

Hey I used to argue he was better on that team than Lonzo!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty sure I'm going to see you all soon but hopefully I'm wrong

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Hello friends

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls are interviewing Coaching Candidates

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls are interviewing Coaching Candidates

how when mark jackson is in the bubble

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MourningView posted:

how when mark jackson is in the bubble

The bulls have constructed a separate iowa bubble

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

The bulls have constructed a separate iowa bubble

Somehow an even worse place to do it than florida

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

rofl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel bad about it now but I have to admit that during a particularly dark moment in the first half I did this

https://tradenba.com/trades/T9s-08o6T

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

I feel bad about it now but I have to admit that during a particularly dark moment in the first half I did this

I'm ready to run it back next year, hopefully with our primary backup C not being Tony Bradley lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MelancholyMark posted:

I'm ready to run it back next year, hopefully with our primary backup C not being Tony Bradley lol

Yeah I think that's probably the play unless the locker room is just broken or Rudy is going to demand a super max

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

MourningView posted:

Yeah I think that's probably the play unless the locker room is just broken or Rudy is going to demand a super max

In what world does he not get the super max? He shut down the whole league!!!!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Danny Theis is a fakkin stud bro. Roody Go-bayuh is nice but the jazz should be workin in the pick he-ah.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Hey I used to argue he was better on that team than Lonzo!

I will remember fondly forever our conversations about how TJ Leaf and Steve Alford Jr were the halfcourt pgs and lonzo totally lacked that skillset.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/andyblarsen/status/1300996162636242944?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Report: Donovan Mitchell In "War" With Rudy Gobert, Entire Locker Room, Coaches

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

MourningView posted:

Well if the Jazz know now they are not going to pay Gobert 35 million a year i can think of worse trades, this isn't bad.
From the Celtics side, they don't need Gobert, but drat if this wouldn't practically guarantee them a title next season. It's also a low key no risk move if he is only signed for 1 year and doesn't demand an extension.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Nothing really new in this excerpt, but *phew*:

https://twitter.com/JJMaples55_MST/status/1301164821799301120?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Danny Theis is a fakkin stud bro. Roody Go-bayuh is nice but the jazz should be workin in the pick he-ah.

I'm willing to replace Theis with my son Grant who I love more than any Celtics fan ever will

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jimmy claiming he works so hard that he "doesn't have to say it" is next level

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I feel like I would have heard about it by now if Butler worked hard

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Memphis Grizzlies Gone Fishin' Post for the '19-'20 Season

Current Roster (and appx. depth chart)
Head Coach: Taylor Jenkins
PG: Ja Morant, Tyus Jones
SG: Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen, De'Anthony Melton
SF: Justise Winslow, Kyle Anderson
PF: Jaren Jackson Jr., Brandon Clarke, Anthony Tolliver
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Gorgui Dieng

2-Way and G-Leaguers
Josh Jackson, Yuta Watanabe, John Konchar, Marko Guduric, Jontay Porter

This was supposed to be a bad season for Memphis. Picked universally to be one of the worst teams in the league with their best players and head coach being rookies, they were supposed to be down in the basement for at least another couple of years. This did not happen, as Ja Morant's arrival electrified the team and the city around him. Instead of being one of the worst teams, they were competing for the playoffs right up until the end of the regular season. Morant will likely hoist the Rookie of the Year trophy, and if there were any statistical justice in the world, Brandon Clarke would be in second place. Unfortunately, experience won out in the end with Dame Lillard and the Trailblazers claiming the 8th seed, but the future is bright in the Bluff City.

Free agency
There isn't much to say here. The Grizzlies core is locked up for another couple of years.

RFAs
Yuta Watanabe, John Konchar
These are our G-League players. Look for them to most likely stay with the G-League team.

UFAs
Josh Jackson, De'Anthony Melton
Here's where things get interesting. Josh Jackson is likely gone. He played well enough to earn some minutes during the regular season, but for whatever reason, Jenkins sat him on the bench during the majority of the bubble games. Someone will likely take a flyer on him and Memphis will not match. Earlier in the season, I would have said it'd be difficult to retain De'Anthony Melton because he's been playing great basketball off the bench, but when the bubble started and Tyus Jones wasn't there to steady the second unit, Melton just fell apart. I expected that another team would come calling with a larger contract than the Grizzlies could stomach due to their cap space, but I'm not sure anymore. I hope we keep him, when he has a true point guard with him in a second unit, he plays very well.

Draft
The specter of Jeff Green no longer lingers over the franchise! With their fine play, the Grizzlies have exorcised the first round pick owed to Boston, and it's a terrible pick in a terrible draft. They do have a second rounder this year, as well as several second rounders in future years, so if they feel the need to move up to get someone, I suppose they could make a package to do so. If they do decide to move up, don't expect it to be a fleecing. The front office has shown itself to be shrewd and capable this last year. It helps that Chris Wallace is no longer making the decisions.

What does next year look like?
Honestly, more of the same. The majority of the team are young players, and the Grizzlies don't have a lot of salary room to make any big moves. What this means is that they'll probably make some moves on the margins, but will most likely continue to see what they have with their current players and retain their flexibility for the 2021 free agency bonanza.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pjVixfXPFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk49L1rRE4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCg5x_NE4Oo

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also pray to the hardwood gods for JJJ's Meniscus

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Memphis Grizzlies Gone Fishin' Post for the '19-'20 Season

This is great. I'd do an effort post about the Hornets but I don't think anyone wants 2000 (more) words on Terry Rozier trade scenarios

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

morestuff posted:

This is great. I'd do an effort post about the Hornets but I don't think anyone wants 2000 (more) words on Terry Rozier trade scenarios

This post made me open the trade machine and then :hmbol: that he makes 20 mil a year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A good post, Nick, might try to do one for Utah later

I don't know if anyone here was dumb enough to think Wright would actually take a NBA job but

https://twitter.com/VUCoachJWright/status/1301207034872750080?s=19

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LionYeti posted:

This post made me open the trade machine and then :hmbol: that he makes 20 mil a year.

It's obviously not a great deal but I think he's just a smidge overpaid now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Good post Nick.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nick the only flaw in your post is that you didnt talk nearly enough about how cool Jonas Valanciunas is

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Aye Doc posted:

nick the only flaw in your post is that you didnt talk nearly enough about how cool Jonas Valanciunas is

drat you’re right. Jonas is a consistent 20/10 guy much in the vein of Zbo and his presence allows Jaren to space the floor. He’s great.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Wet like im book

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'm still bummed, but not as bummed as I was last night. :sigh:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Shai dort and Bazley are going to be good for a long time

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nash is the Nets coach. The gently caress??????

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Whoa, that feels out of left field.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1301515787547574274?s=20

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I love the guy, but I dunno about this. It'd be one thing if the Nets had a young PG whose offensive style was similar to Steve's but Irving isn't particularly young and he's a shoot first PG, which Steve is not.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
What in the gently caress? Does he have any experience coaching on any level? I may just be uneducated on that point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

What in the gently caress? Does he have any experience coaching on any level? I may just be uneducated on that point...

they are pretending yes because he showed up to warriors practice a couple times a year the last few seasons as a nebulous consultant. I saw someone crediting him for "fixing" Durant's jumper lol

There have been a lot of guys who have been fine without a ton of coaching experience but it still sucks to see someone just waltz into a gig guys have been working incrementally towards for years because they were famous players.