Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I seen it in IMAX and the sound was bad like everyone is saying :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the scene where I remember the poor mix standing out the most is whenever Branagh is expositing about his cooperation with the future people and what their agenda is. I think I got the gist of it, but don’t think I understood half of the actual lines.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For IMAX I think it was just three scenes where I had trouble understanding what was being said: the boat scene where they're talking over headsets, the first part of the inverted interrogation and then during the big action scene at the end.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

General Dog posted:

I think the scene where I remember the poor mix standing out the most is whenever Branagh is expositing about his cooperation with the future people and what their agenda is. I think I got the gist of it, but don’t think I understood half of the actual lines.

I couldn't hear a god drat thing in that scene, so I missed the entire part about the climate etc. Had no idea until I read about it today.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The climate stuff was totally lost, as was the stuff about the art dealer to and fro. The talk of the fake or not plutonium was also a scramble to discern. Even the military briefing was tough.

It was bad, really bad at my cinema. I’m pretty sure other patrons were talking about refunds.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I saw it in iSense and my wife and I were constantly looking at each other during the movie and mouthing, 'What did they say?'

After watching it, I only know the general gist of the plot.

It was an interesting movie where it was fun to watch, but at the same time the first hour or so just kept going and introducing new places and people at rapid pace that you kinda just get buried in what's actually going on. Doesn't help that you can barely hear the dialogue.

Oddly enough, it felt like when the movie followed the normal flow of time, it was incredibly hard to follow and unpredictable, bit watching the scenes where there was the inverse of time it was quite easy to follow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

muscles like this! posted:

For IMAX I think it was just three scenes where I had trouble understanding what was being said: the boat scene where they're talking over headsets, the first part of the inverted interrogation and then during the big action scene at the end.

I see alot of people are talking about the catamaran scene and how hard it was to understand but I actually thought that was one of the easier ones for me to discern. Having the dialogue have that kind of walky-talky effect helped it stick out more.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I saw it in IMAX a few days ago with my bro and we both missed probably 30% of the dialogue. I found it particularly difficult during the opera scenes, catamaran scene and when Branagh was whispering for 10 minutes at the ending. This is clearly a Nolan thing since he keeps having people in masks or over radios saying important things you can't understand over multiple movies now.

WHy Nolan I just want to understand your movie

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My other theory is that he wants to avoid the traditional Bond trope of the protagonist strutting into M’s soundproof office for a delightfully quiet briefing and some secretary harassment. That’s also possibly why we don’t get a name for JDW. It’s to sidestep “Bond, James Bond”.

Doesn’t quite gel with this movie having an out and out Q branch scene.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I think the best example is where Patterson is discussing The airport attack, and the camera is literally spinning around the three of them at 200rpm, while INTENSE ELECTRO music plays at deafening levels, both distracting from and muddying the dialogue.

It certainly made discussing a plan more exciting but it was also enormously funny.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does Nolan not understand humans? Because I can't believe a movie with such a good cast was forced to talk about temporal pincer movements with a straight face, or how the direction of every dialog is "speak with the emotion of a middle manager at a team meeting." Nolan also needs a good action coordinator, the dude can direct vehicle action like no other but every shootout in his movies is literally the scene from South Park's Inception parody where dudes are just firing at the sky.

I went into it thinking it was going to be like an action thriller but realizing it's his take on a high concept James Bond I came around to understanding the intent a lot better. But even discounting the audio issues there are bullet points the movie just drops like what's the deal with the opera? Am I the only one who thought the movie was reversing back to the opera where we first see the artifact and what we can only assume is Neil saving P's life. Why did Sator immediately befriend P after he name dropped the Opera, who was the agent that got "made," wtf was the entire point? If it was a James Bond cold opening that's supposed to be what it is, James Bond doesn't really build off the pre-credits scene and then Tenet just ignores it completely.

Also was it Neil that took the headshot in the end? Is that what he meant by their friendship was over, that his "death" is inverting once more after the big assault to take a final bullet? Or are there multiple faceless agents with the little medal that act as bodyguards for P knowing when he'll die idk I just don't loving know lol.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
That was definitely Neil. And :lol: at people who think he's the kid. If that turns out to be true, that's hilarious.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Exactly this for me, saw it in IMAX, these three scenes were the only rough ones, and actually the Catamaran one I caught all of, but that was the first point I thought "This is a bit hard to hear". The inverted interrogation, I felt like it was basically impossible to follow, but then when you hear it again, it kinda makes sense, and I realised I'd heard enough of it for it to all work, so I figured it was intentional. The big action scene at the end though, yeah, it was like, why is anyone even talking. What's the point. It's all muffled to poo poo through the mask, and under the noise of a million explosions and a roaring score. Apparently on a Nolan set, the 'sound guys' are seen as annoying nerds, a waste of time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh jeeze, I completely forgot they wheeled out Sir Michael Caine for five minutes to play a character named Sir Michael CaineCrosby.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

al-azad posted:

Oh jeeze, I completely forgot they wheeled out Sir Michael Caine for five minutes to play a character named Sir Michael CaineCrosby.

Oh yeah, that was SO weird. If you're gonna do that, surely the thing to do is call him "Sir Maurice Joseph Micklewhite Jr." ?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

al-azad posted:

Also was it Neil that took the headshot in the end? Is that what he meant by their friendship was over
Yes, P has already met him after he spent years inverted (remember how twitchy he was in their first scene?), but he (in the future) has yet to meet P. Hence the beginning of a beautiful friendship for P and the end for Neil.

The opera setpiece is there to fill out the square and that's it :v: I thought the balcony throw was setting up a small time loop since it looked significant but it wasn't relevant later

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Interesting movie will have to watch it again a few times but there's alot of funky super technology that's not quite explained. I dig the idea of it though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ruffian Price posted:

Yes, P has already met him after he spent years inverted (remember how twitchy he was in their first scene?), but he (in the future) has yet to meet P. Hence the beginning of a beautiful friendship for P and the end for Neil.
Wonder if Nolan is a Doctor Who fan? That's River Song's whole plot arc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vir posted:

That was definitely Neil. And :lol: at people who think he's the kid. If that turns out to be true, that's hilarious.

You know it is him because he has a little dangling thing on his backpack which is shown on the dead body and then on Neil when he is walking away from P. (Also on the guy with the inverted bullet who saves P in the opera house at the beginning of the movie).

Edit: Also, you know, that's the whole point of their final scene together.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 2, 2020

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

al-azad posted:

But even discounting the audio issues there are bullet points the movie just drops like what's the deal with the opera? Am I the only one who thought the movie was reversing back to the opera where we first see the artifact and what we can only assume is Neil saving P's life. Why did Sator immediately befriend P after he name dropped the Opera, who was the agent that got "made," wtf was the entire point? If it was a James Bond cold opening that's supposed to be what it is, James Bond doesn't really build off the pre-credits scene and then Tenet just ignores it completely.

Also was it Neil that took the headshot in the end? Is that what he meant by their friendship was over, that his "death" is inverting once more after the big assault to take a final bullet? Or are there multiple faceless agents with the little medal that act as bodyguards for P knowing when he'll die idk I just don't loving know lol.

Sator befriended him because mentioning the opera suggested that p knew sator was trying to secure the algorithm piece during the opera siege. The agent that got made was presumably someone tasked with protecting the algorithm piece, why he took it to the opera with him is a mystery to me though.

Yeah, Neil gets shot in the hypocentre after unlocking the door. That's what he means by it being the end of their friendship for him, because he knows he dies on his next pass of the mission (but knows p will go on to start their bromance in p's future).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

insane that the SA thread for a new Nolan movie is going about the same rate as the Godzilla thread.

Pandemic world is weird.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I thought this only released in the US this coming weekend? Maybe the thread will pick up then? :shrug:

Pierson posted:

There's 100% an emotional message of the film that the main characters demonstrate and talk about at several points and it's about people who care about other people and watch out for them versus people who only care about themselves.

P takes risks at the opera house and moves the bombs away from the audience even though it isn't his mission to do on, and later on takes a suicide pill to protect his team. Tenet as an organisation is working towards making sure there's a future for others besides themselves and have an army of people who can literally watch themselves crawl away from a battle that'll kill and injure them but they go anyway. P takes huge risks for a woman he barely knows but has begun to care for. Neil goes back on a literal suicide mission for a man who barely knows him yet. The future scientist kills herself and spreads her life's work into the past because she won't risk dooming previous generations even to save her own world.

On the opposite side you have Sator who only cares about himself to such an obsessive degree that when he dies he wants to take the entire world with him, who won't let his wife go him because he despises the idea that somebody else might valve her or that she might value somebody besides him. The future society that created the algorithm cares so little about the past and the generations they're willing to risk it's erasure for their own survival.

The more I think about the film the more I like it, I just wish somebody besides Nolan had made it.

This is a good point, but the movie has the unfortunate message in the opposite direction as well because we are still going to gently caress the climate and ruin the future peoples world, which is also selfish. So our heroes aren't actually that much better. Of course in theory Protagonist might try to use his time powers to halt climate change, but we are given no indication he will or even if it's possible, as my read of the film is it's a loop and you can't change the past, what has happened has happened, so because the climate is hosed up in the "past" for the future, it always will be. No going back. Bit sad really

Aidan_702 posted:

I agree on one hand that Nolan's films are cold and emotionless but there is usually always a grander scale moral or 'love' at surrounding them - I do like this about his films but he is not really any good at creating bonds or investment from the audience, between his characters, naturally. This film I think does it better than his others - the Neil twist at the end is very bittersweet, although given the internal logic of the film it does sort of mean that we're still going to destroy the world through climate change which is a bit grim. My only hope is that by saving Kat from Priya he does in, in fact, actually change the future, but that's just a hunch

I'd like this theory to be right but I think in the logic of the film it can't be.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

You know it is him because

I know it's Neil - that's what I said. What I was laughing at is the idea that Neil is Kat and Sator's kid. Is there indication of that?

garycoleisgod posted:

This is a good point, but the movie has the unfortunate message in the opposite direction as well because we are still going to gently caress the climate and ruin the future peoples world, which is also selfish. So our heroes aren't actually that much better. Of course in theory Protagonist might try to use his time powers to halt climate change, but we are given no indication he will or even if it's possible, as my read of the film is it's a loop and you can't change the past,
The movie is full of both successful and unsuccessful attempts at changing the future. One problem with changing the future too much is that you lose the information you used to make the change - because you move the timeline into a future you don't know, and which might be worse than the one you're coming from or go to a state where you undo your ability to return to the past. Also consider that we're only seeing the beginning of this time war - so it's a work in progress. It's an interesting question though: How do you stop something like climate change if you arrive from the future with perfect knowledge, when people already don't believe the scientists? I guess there's a Cassandra Syndrome story there.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

well why not posted:

insane that the SA thread for a new Nolan movie is going about the same rate as the Godzilla thread.

Pandemic world is weird.

It isn't opening in America until this weekend, what you are reading are people that saw an international release like myself.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Justin Godscock posted:

It isn't opening in America until this weekend, what you are reading are people that saw an international release like myself.

I saw it in Texas on Monday, which is when advance screenings started.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

I've seen it already, I'm in Sydney. it's a good movie which i hate due to having the audio mix absolutely hosed

My point is that there was a time when a Nolan movie thread would be 10 pages a day, pre-opening, now we're in slowmo pandemic times and it's a glacial pace.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sound mix was a mess.

Gimmick didn't really work to hold up an entire movie of mostly blank faced people talking at each other back and forth, not to actually have a conversation, but to just infodump the audience.

Pattinson's reliably great, easily the best actor under 40 working today.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Going just from this movie, I wouldn't know if Pattinson will make a good Batman or not. He got to show more range in something like The Lighthouse.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vir posted:

Going just from this movie, I wouldn't know if Pattinson will make a good Batman or not. He got to show more range in something like The Lighthouse.

Is Batman even a role that needs a lot of range?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Saw it again last night, this time in IMAX. The volume was annoyingly loud, and the mix wasn't great. I could still make out the dialogue, but it wasn't easy. Of course I'd already seen the movie once, so that likely helped. Last week in a normal theater, volume was good, mix was fine, no problems with the dialogue. Maybe Tenet's mix is different from most other blockbusters and some theaters just aren't made to handle that.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Well the soundtrack is out now for anyone who wants ULTRA LOUD SYNTH OPERA. I mean I thought the soundtrack was great so I'll be listening to this today. Possible minor spoilers in the track listing

https://open.spotify.com/album/5gqjdw7uY2SRwuindlWBi8?si=Wn9itd3gSTKe8aWQiuBdSw

https://tidal.com/browse/album/153198851

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Maybe Tenet's mix is different from most other blockbusters and some theaters just aren't made to handle that.

Given the widespread audience reports of unintelligible dialogue, that's a failure of the film not the cinema, in the same way that an album that only sounded good on one speaker system would be a failure of the audio engineer not the speakers.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The issues with the dialogue are a lot more than the sound mix. The film is just full of situations where speech would be difficult to hear - masks on for large swathes of the movie (that obscure lip movements that even hearing people subconsciously read), the catamaran scene, the interrogation scene where you have to discern an electronic voice (that isn't even set up well) over backwards shouting and other noises. The dialogue problems began at the scripting stage. This must be intentional.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I've been wondering if the final set piece would have been enjoyable to watch if I had any idea who was shooting at who, what the "temporal pincer movement" was supposed to accomplish, or what they were doing there in the first place. But the building falling down and then up and then down again was cool? Everyone is complaining about the sound mix but the editing, especially in the beginning, was also atrocious.

Dune sure looks good.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 3, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cacator posted:

I've been wondering if the final set piece would have been enjoyable to watch if I had any idea who was shooting at who, what the "temporal pincer movement" was supposed to accomplish, or what they were doing there in the first place.

Yeah this was kind of every action set-piece in the movie for me. These action scenes are, by design, disorienting the first time around and then at least partially explain confusing elements when our protagonists revisit them. However, even when the protagonists do their second or third runs through the same window of time, it seems like they rarely do anything really clever or take real advantage of their knowledge of how things are going to unfold, which seems like kind of a waste of the conceit of the movie.

I'll also say that the reveal we get at the end is both kind of predictable and kind of a rehash of Memento's themes. But, Nolan repeating themes isn't really anything new.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 3, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

General Dog posted:

Yeah this was kind of every action set-piece in the movie for me. These action scenes are, by design, disorienting the first time around and then at least partially explain confusing elements when our protagonists revisit them. However, even when the protagonists do their second or third runs through the same window of time, it seems like they rarely do anything really clever or take real advantage of their knowledge of how things are going to unfold, which seems like kind of a waste of the conceit of the movie.

100% this. The movie's built around a gimmick that's not really employed to what would seem to be maximum effect.

Also, I can't believe this cost $250 million, where did it all go?!?!

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

100% this. The movie's built around a gimmick that's not really employed to what would seem to be maximum effect.

Also, I can't believe this cost $250 million, where did it all go?!?!

They just had to run a real plane to a wall for authenticity. (No really they did.)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That vehicle box-in scene looked like a massive money sink and they probably had to run the scenario multiple times. Knowing Nolan the CGI was minimal

e: lmao can't believe I already forgot about the plane

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Norskfreight :norway:

Vir fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I think the money is definitely on the screen for this one, especially knowing that when you see big vehicles crashing into each other Nolan's just shooting actual big vehicles crashing into each other.