Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

movax posted:

Pluton evolved out of Sopris, right? I remember reading about Sopris a few years back and when you mentioned the MT3620 just now, went down a bit of a rabbit hole with what it was — I missed the whole GA thing / release into the internet-of-poo poo world.

Which Ethernet module does it use, some Micrel KSZ9xxx RGMII type PHY, or some SPI/non-MII interface controller like the ENC28J60 / some Wiznet thing?

Not sure where it evolved from, we are transitioning all our sensors and automation from x86 applications to the cloud. Bit of a steep learning curve.

The dev boards dont actually have ethernet out of the box (they do have wifi) so we have to use either a grove ethernet (enc28j60) or click module (enc28j60, w5500 or bcm54811) to get ethernet.

But it seems whatever ethernet you have the sphere device demands its ota updates come from wifi, and we have had all sorts of issues trying to get any comms between our sphere and pi modules over ethernet we have essentially said "screw this" and just run wifi.

Avnet though seem to suggest it may be a bug and it could be a simple as a fix in an upcoming firmware patch. So we will wait and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any ideas when the tiger lake release is today?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Gabriel S. posted:

Any ideas when the tiger lake release is today?

It's not releasing today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's not releasing today.

intel had their launch announcement at noon today: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16063/intel-launches-11th-gen-core-tiger-lake-processors-and-evo-branding

movax
Aug 30, 2008

50 W boost :eyepop:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Tired: Keep your PSU for Ampere
Wired: Replace it for 11th-gen Intel CPUs

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

How are we on the third revision of 10nm with the most papery launches ever?

We had 10nm, 10+, and now this one is 10++ renamed to 10+ and renamed AGAIN to 10nm Superfin.

:wtc: is going on over there

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

movax posted:

50 W boost :eyepop:

4.3 GHz all-core at 28W seems pretty solid, albeit only 4 cores of course. 4300U turbos to about 3.75 GHz average during workloads, and 4700U to around 4 GHz, according to userbenchmark, and that's probably in a 25W TDP-up configuration.

So they actually boost higher than Renoir at iso(-ish) power and have significantly higher IPC. Yeah, that's decent, renoir still has more cores but the mobile workstation niche is fairly small (and high-end Renoir has been especially scarce).

Intel's finally got 10nm working decently now and AMD needs to move along to Cezanne ASAP to establish their lead back. That's probably a big factor of why Cezanne is pulled basically a year ahead compared to AMD's usual cadence.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

NewFatMike posted:

Same thing that's been going on: 10nm sucked a big dick and still doesn't quite work the way they want, and they're just kinda suffering through it until they can hopefully get 7nm out the door eventually.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

NewFatMike posted:

How are we on the third revision of 10nm with the most papery launches ever?

We had 10nm, 10+, and now this one is 10++ renamed to 10+ and renamed AGAIN to 10nm Superfin.

Shhh, maybe the investors won't notice we just changed the name.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Same thing that's been going on: 10nm sucked a big dick and still doesn't quite work the way they want, and they're just kinda suffering through it until they can hopefully get 7nm out the door eventually.

:confused:

Thing is basically on the heels of a 4700U in MT at similar power despite having literally half the cores, and completely dumps on it in single-thread. And 4800U is impossible to find. And it dumps on all of them in graphics.

What exactly is there to be morose about here? Intel did seriously improve their process here, the clocks and power are better than AMD even.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So "Evo" is the new Centrino basically? Lame. Although im interested to see the performance numbers once they get in peoples hands. Looks like the soonest availability I see is for Asus and it says early October delivery. Gonna laugh if Apple beats them to market with their Apple silicon notebooks.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I guess this is good for laptops and even light gaming but nothing major. Hell, does anyone really care about Thunderbolt 4?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gabriel S. posted:

I guess this is good for laptops and even light gaming but nothing major. Hell, does anyone really care about Thunderbolt 4?

With USB4 adopting the TB4 standard (essentially, dont @me), true "Thunderbolt 4" branded stuff basically just guarantees that you have a good implementation of the standard/cable. Stuff branded as "USB4" can cut a lot of the best parts of the standard and speeds back, but ports and cables branded as TB4 have to support the full 40Gb/s at 2m cable length, two 4k displays, one port with 100w charging, wake from sleep, minimum 32Gb/s PCIe bandwidth on the host side, etc.

I guess its kinda like Gsync/FreeSync in a way? TB4 implementations will give you the "full fat" experience every time, but will probably be more restrictive and expensive to implement, while USB4 will be the wild west with some great implementations and some awful dog poo poo.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

What exactly is there to be morose about here? Intel did seriously improve their process here, the clocks and power are better than AMD even.

Mostly the production pipeline is still heavily constrained. I'll agree with you that they're good chips, but availability is still going to be low from everything I've heard.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yield.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks really good, and just in time because really want to finally replace the T460.

Do we really know it's still an issue? Maybe they finally unfucked with the superfins.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah maybe, I'm just not holding my breath.

Jesus H christ that presentation though, I'm never watching one of those things again.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"Benchmark numbers though, are not sufficient," says company that made a killing against their competition by touting benchmarks for over a decade, proceeds to slather their presentation in benchmarks anyways.

I can't tell if it would be better or worse if Intel had decided they were just going to ignore the 4800U and just compare against their own products. It might actually have been better for them.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 3, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHBgb9SY1Y

I could've sworn this wasn't the first time GN has had to call out this kind of overly defensive marketing speak, but I think the last time was AMD doing it

EDIT: holy poo poo the pepsi logo reference

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 3, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Tech Jesus gave them a good kicking for their presentation

edit :beaten.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could've sworn this wasn't the first time GN has had to call out this kind of overly defensive marketing speak, but I think the last time was AMD doing it

This whole video is loving hilarious, the graph on referencing AMD is :discourse:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

:thunk:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What marketing would she have approved as a CCO in this past year?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Nomyth posted:

What marketing would she have approved as a CCO in this past year?

Clearly she is departing after the disaster that was the "boring" laptop marketing noted a few pages ago.

And, similarly, for not re-investing in those snazzy colored metallic clean-suits to take Intel back to their advertising heyday. They could even have tied it in with COVID! Something about how with their high-tech suits, not even a global pandemic is stopping 10nm+++ + SuperDuperFin.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FanlessTech/status/1301937509337894919
https://twitter.com/FanlessTech/status/1302000433930686466

not sure how reliable this information is, but it seems plausible?

Pentium being another 14nm refresh is going to be funny because those were already doing a 4.0 GHz base clock - wonder how much more they can push that. It does seem like not having an i3 model is going to be a missed opportunity to compete with the low-end of desktop-Renoir since Rocket Lake is supposed to have the Xe iGPUs

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 6, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hahahah. Intel are such disingenuous poo poo heels.
- ”Imitators”
- Preventing the 4800U from turboing
- Comparing the 4800U to the top of the line i7 vs the 4800H or 4900HS

This is just sad.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

*tweets*

not sure how reliable this information is, but it seems plausible?

Pentium being another 14nm refresh is going to be funny because those were already doing a 4.0 GHz base clock - wonder how much more they can push that. It does seem like not having an i3 model is going to be a missed opportunity to compete with the low-end of desktop-Renoir since Rocket Lake is supposed to have the Xe iGPUs

I'm currently debating if I should wait for Rocket Lake or just get Comet Lake for the next year at the moment. Is Alder Lake suppose to be a big step forward, the way NVIDIA 30XX was?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Shogunner posted:

I'm currently debating if I should wait for Rocket Lake or just get Comet Lake for the next year at the moment. Is Alder Lake suppose to be a big step forward, the way NVIDIA 30XX was?

Alder Lake, if Intel can get its 10nm thing sorted out, will represent Intel's chance to return to form. Comet Lake was supposed to be nothing more than a stop-gap to try and stem the bleeding from Zen 2 with Rocket Lake supposed to get in before AMD could get Zen 3 out the door. Except it is late and won't beat Zen 3 to market now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shogunner posted:

At the very least if you can afford to wait a month for AMD to formally announce Zen 3 on the 8th, you should do that and then see how bad Comet Lake looks and go from there.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

DrDork posted:

At the very least if you can afford to wait a month for AMD to formally announce Zen 3 on the 8th, you should do that and then see how bad Comet Lake looks and go from there.

Yeah just realized they announced a date. This will be my plan now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like nobody cars but some early Tiger Lake benchmarks are out. It looks very promissing but will really depend on actual power usage of TG and the compared chips. At 28W it's pretty close to 4800U in multicore benchmarks

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-tiger-lake-benchmarks-first-look

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Heres the AT article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen

Disappointing IPC gains tbh, I really thought they would get more out of it vs Ice Lake.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
"40% ahead of AMD's Ryzen 7 4800U for single core performance"

Pretty loving impressive numbers for Willow Cove, can't see Zen 3 clawing that back.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Pretty loving impressive numbers for Willow Cove, can't see Zen 3 clawing that back.

How widely released will these chips be though? Ice Lake somehow managed to stay pretty rare, there's tons of laptops shipping Comet Lake instead.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Isn't that the rub though?

That if Intel can't even fart out Tiger Lake as fast as Zen 2 and Zen 3 stuff comes out, and keeps holding its loving price gouging aloft, people will still buy AMD because you save like anywhere from 200 to 500 bucks for 80-90% of the performance of TL. if the Xe stuff is only in the top binned chips they are still shooting themselves in the foot when AMD is slapping its Vega graphics on every zen based ryzen process it has.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Unless we see Willowcove on 10nm, it is questionable how well this will translate on desktop. I am sure sacrifices were made in the backport ton14nm

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I mean this review is long as balls and often goes over my head but I see a lot of actually pretty negative stuff in here about it and their conclusion was kind of ambivalent, so I'm not seeing where you get that:

quote:

However, if we’re just talking about the product, I’m in two minds for Tiger Lake. It doesn’t give those raw clock-for-clock performance gains that I’d like, mostly because it’s almost the same design as Ice Lake for the CPU cores, but the expansion of the range of performance coupled with the energy efficiency improvements will make it a better product overall. I didn’t believe the efficiency numbers at first, but successive tests showed good gains from both the manufacturing side of Intel as well as the silicon design and the power flow management. Not only that, the new Xe-LP graphics seem exciting, and warrant a closer inspection.

Tiger Lake isn’t sardine oil basting AMD just yet, but it stands to compete well in a number of key markets.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

...what is this bizarre colloquialism? "basting with sardine oil"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...what is this bizarre colloquialism? "basting with sardine oil"?

Read the title and the headings