Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah, how on earth did they land the Three-Body Problem after getting fired from everything that moves?

They're white and male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
To be somewhat charitable the Game of Thrones showrunners did a good job adapting stuff that had already been written and put through editors. The first threeish seasons of Game of Thrones were pretty good, because they were faithful adaptations of a well-written and cohesive story. A story that would have been better if it had been kept to a tight trilogy.

Then it all leapt off the rails when they started adapting books that had obviously been put out by a guy who'd lost interest in his story and had no idea what to do with it, then went into crazy town when they started making stuff up on their own because they obviously suck at that.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Yeah, how on earth did they land the Three-Body Problem after getting fired from everything that moves?

Game of Thrones is like the most lucrative TV show of all time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It seems like a good utilisation of them to be honest. They were excellent at doing a high budget adaptation of finished works..

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is this supposed to be the Netflix project they were paid a shitload of money for and ditched Star Wars to do?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

TBP also deals with some pretty heavy stuff , while GOT was basically everyone are bastards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So who's ScarJo going to be whitewashing in this adaptation?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the diminishing quality of the later seasons of got is not due to a lack of talent but a lack of effort. From the interviews dnd gave it looks like they were checked the gently caress out right around the time they would have been in talks to direct star wars.

Imo They're lazy, not stupid

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Plus being good at adaptation is more of a priority than being able to create something original these days.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Klowner posted:

I think the diminishing quality of the later seasons of got is not due to a lack of talent but a lack of effort. From the interviews dnd gave it looks like they were checked the gently caress out right around the time they would have been in talks to direct star wars.

I think there is a bit of an overlap between stupid and lazy, right where you mishandle this hugely popular thing because your mind is on even bigger things. It's like they moved into a new flat, but even while unloading the truck they got the faint promise they might own a house in a year so they left half the boxes out in the rain and didn't bother unpacking the ones inside.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It's also arguable that the success of the early seasons of GoT was due to excellent talent being there in the beginning and then leaving over the course of the show. In fact, there are multiple articles about how apparently DnD had no idea how to run a TV show and the much more experienced stars they had early on did a lot of the leg work. As the seasons progressed, they went from people like Sean Bean & then Charles Dance being leads to...*checks notes*....Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington (I'm aware Peter Dinklage was trying his best all 8 seasons, but his character traits were essentially written off the show, same for Lena Headey).

Edit: They also lost a lot of behind-the-scenes talent over the seasons. At one point there was a meme about them being proud of promoting some set guy as a script writer because he came up with an idea that they thought was brilliant and which made the audience groan when it happened.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Anonymous Zebra posted:

from people like Sean Bean & then Charles Dance

tbf there are...reasons why those actors had to leave the show, and they're with GRRM :v:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

mycot posted:

tbf there are...reasons why those actors had to leave the show, and they're with GRRM :v:

Oh, I'm not saying that it's DnD's fault they left the show, haha. I'm saying that lots of the little touches that people liked about the early seasons were scenes suggested by the actors. Like, people were raving about the conversations in season 1 that were not from the books, and how good they were (Cersei and Robert discussing their relationship over lunch), and now in hindsight it's been revealed that lots of those scenes were the actors suggesting them, and as those actors left basically the dumbshit twins didn't have anyone to give them good ideas anymore, hence them thinking potato boy was a good character because their bro totally had deep thoughts about him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Im hearing the new Bill and Ted earned like 300mm? The gently caress?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Klowner posted:

lol they laughed at the idea of putting themes into their scripts

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's also arguable that the success of the early seasons of GoT was due to excellent talent being there in the beginning and then leaving over the course of the show. In fact, there are multiple articles about how apparently DnD had no idea how to run a TV show and the much more experienced stars they had early on did a lot of the leg work. As the seasons progressed, they went from people like Sean Bean & then Charles Dance being leads to...*checks notes*....Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington (I'm aware Peter Dinklage was trying his best all 8 seasons, but his character traits were essentially written off the show, same for Lena Headey).

Edit: They also lost a lot of behind-the-scenes talent over the seasons. At one point there was a meme about them being proud of promoting some set guy as a script writer because he came up with an idea that they thought was brilliant and which made the audience groan when it happened.

Honestly, I have to give Emilia Clarke credit, she plays the last few episodes as well as she could given that, if she did the stereotypical thing and asked the director "What's my motivation?", the answer would be several seconds of silence followed by a shrug.

I can only imagine how loving bored and demoralized everyone was while filming the last episodes. In addition to the plot problems the pacing of the last two is just leaden. Scenes just lurch across the screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shageletic posted:

Im hearing the new Bill and Ted earned like 300mm? The gently caress?

It did not. The article kinda slaps a bunch of movies together but Bill and Ted did really well, but china’s The Eight Hundred did 300 million.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disney just shot themselves in the foot for their Mulan Disney Plus plans by announcing that it would be free for all subscribers in December.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://youtu.be/Z8ESXMnn3FY

Apparently this has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

Disney just shot themselves in the foot for their Mulan Disney Plus plans by announcing that it would be free for all subscribers in December.
Oh FFS Disney what is wrong with you

Mandalorian Season 2 is coming out in October so at least they have that I guess

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

8one6 posted:

You have got to be making GBS threads me. That's amazing. Jaws retold as a bear!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PeterCat posted:

You have got to be making GBS threads me. That's amazing. Jaws retold as a bear!

Starring Clooney, Dern, and Sheen. It's a 90s extravaganza!

So the $30 thing is for non-subscribers or what? Even then it would just be cheaper to wait and pay for a month of D+.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh FFS Disney what is wrong with you

Mandalorian Season 2 is coming out in October so at least they have that I guess

Nice, I only just got around to watching season 1. It's cool when it works out like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, $30 is only for subscribers and even then you don't actually own it because if you cancel you lose access.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowman_McK posted:

Nice, I only just got around to watching season 1. It's cool when it works out like that.
It's the best Star Wars thing in a long, long time

The most amazing thing to me is the tech they are using for that show. Almost all of it is actually using an elaborate high-tech green screen that puts in backgrounds behind a stage, by using footage shot on location. So for example they talk about how instead of having to wait to film at exactly the right time of day, they had the film people go out to the locations and record hours of footage at different times which they digitally put behind the actors, and the director can adjust the lighting and angles in real time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The most amazing thing to me is the tech they are using for that show. Almost all of it is actually using an elaborate high-tech green screen that puts in backgrounds behind a stage, by using footage shot on location. So for example they talk about how instead of having to wait to film at exactly the right time of day, they had the film people go out to the locations and record hours of footage at different times which they digitally put behind the actors, and the director can adjust the lighting and angles in real time.

It's a blessing for anyone filming during a pandemic.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

So what's the twist in Antebellum all of the reviews are teases.

It's a Sword Art Online style MMORPG. You start as a plantation slave and level up to become a courtesan queen at lvl 99 like those Facebook ads. The actual character is a basement dwelling incel on the year 2077.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh is it a green screen? I thought it was like a higher tech form of rear projection. That's cool but not as cool.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh is it a green screen? I thought it was like a higher tech form of rear projection. That's cool but not as cool.

It's a giant 270 degree LCD screen using the Unreal Engine to display the correct perspective for the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ah so it is like a god-tier version of rear projection. Surprised Cameron wasn't the one to do it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It doesn't seem like a good fit for Cameron, who is all about audience immersion these days. The Mandalorian system creates a super flat image in the end. It's a terrific tool for TV production if you work with its strengths, but it doesn't really gel with Cameron's whole MO which goes beyond just pushing technology for technology's sake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

So does rear projection and the man loved it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

It's a Sword Art Online style MMORPG. You start as a plantation slave and level up to become a courtesan queen at lvl 99 like those Facebook ads. The actual character is a basement dwelling incel on the year 2077.

October 2077?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

A low bar, but yeah. It's not quite as good as the clone wars, but it's a lot better than the recent films except maybe Rogue One.

That's a real cool thing about how they're shooting it. I do hope they go some new places in the next season, though. I got a little tired of 'sparesly populated desert planet' and 'a different sparsely populated desert planet' and 'sparsely populated forest planet.' I know why they're doing it that way, It just got a little repetitive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

8one6 posted:

ah, so that's the demon bear from New Mutants!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Mandalorian didn't really use the technology the best it could've but it's a hell of a test run for something that could revolutionize filmmaking. Watching the behind-the-scenes footage was about as cool as watching the actual show. They can do things like change the scene from midday to sunset with a couple of clicks, and since it's LCD instead of a greenscreen, you get the appropriate highlights and reflections on all of the shiny surfaces. It definitely makes post-production a hell of a lot faster when you don't have to scrup green off of all the reflective surfaces. It does tend to look chintzy at some points, but there's plenty of time to get it to work better.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Probably worth mentioning there’s a lot of people who pre-ordered a year of Disney+ in advance, and Verizon handed out a free year to every single customer, so this is likely meant to push that crowd into renewals.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Groovelord Neato posted:

So what's the twist in Antebellum all of the reviews are teases.

From reading a spoiler review it seems like it is indeed set in the modern day. The plantation is run by “a nefarious group of Confederacy-loving Civil War reenactors who take things to the next level by kidnapping and enslaving Black people in order to achieve a fully authentic Confederate experience.“ So yeah, a more mean spirited version of The Village.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duz posted:

It's a giant 270 degree LCD screen using the Unreal Engine to display the correct perspective for the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

RatHat posted:

From reading a spoiler review it seems like it is indeed set in the modern day. The plantation is run by “a nefarious group of Confederacy-loving Civil War reenactors who take things to the next level by kidnapping and enslaving Black people in order to achieve a fully authentic Confederate experience.“ So yeah, a more mean spirited version of The Village.

The dumb thing about all kidnap and traffic movies is that the villains all target well to do middle class westerners when that's the least likely and plausible thing in the world. It's like that stupid Call to Juarez game where Mexican gangs would cross the border to kidnap white women to sex traffic across the border. Literally the inverse of reality.