Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

what's some good grand scale rts games with more focus on macro than micro management? Old games are also welcome

supreme commander the first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

supreme commander the first

This was some great fun and still holds up, IMO. The multi-monitor functionality is something I wish Planetary Annihilation supported.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got an 8bitdo sn30 pro plus that i really like. it's basically a hybrid of a snes controller and a dualshock, and it has switchable input modes so you can use it as an xbox/pc controller or switch pro controller

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Weedle posted:

i got an 8bitdo sn30 pro plus that i really like. it's basically a hybrid of a snes controller and a dualshock, and it has switchable input modes so you can use it as an xbox/pc controller or switch pro controller

same, best controller i've ever owned honestly

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

my eventual goal is to play freespace 2 and mech warrior with a full rear end joystick but i’m not there yet.

also it seems like nobody is interested in making compelling space jet fighter games which is a bummer

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

microsoft flight sim 2020 looks bananas tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Casual Encountess posted:

microsoft flight sim 2020 looks bananas tho

no don't, stop

you're going to start looking at $600 hardware purchases and that's just the controllers

turn back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

How big would a full rear end joystick be?!?!?!?!?!1111222elvatolvakatinkorva

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How big would a full rear end joystick be?!?!?!?!?!1111222elvatolvakatinkorva

surprisingly big, so long as it has a flared base

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

surprisingly big, so long as it has a flared base
without a base, without a trace: the zero wing story

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also it seems like nobody is interested in making compelling space jet fighter games which is a bummer

i agree. elite dangerous is beautiful and rich in simulation but has no plot. the new x-wing game looks pretty and might be fun but i bet ea cocks it up. star citizen lol.

if you liked freespace 2, house of the dying sun is entertaining if a bit short.

fs2020 is stunning to look at and full of promise and quite broken. here i am in yosemite in winter, surrounded by tropical deciduous trees that have all their leaves

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 2, 2020

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean i had a top of the line for 2003 hotas i know this hole is stupid and largely why i walked away originally

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

it also annoys the poo poo out of me that i had to go out of my way to get stuff without a billion leds on them

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lizards :3:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what if mobo had gun

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

you need a good mobo with a gun to protect against bad bios

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
rip threads not slots

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

thats what you get for using dual gpus

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

DD:DA - spent a half-hour trying to kill a Cursed Dragon as a Warrior with a very limited number of tools / skills, finally succeeded. Arrived at the chamber of the Dark Bishop, realised I have no rez-stones and only a few healing potions left. Beat him after about an hour of trying, tough going, though finally putting him into a KO state (and stopping him flying round out of reach of my giant morningstar) and then winding up the ten second super smash move removing like five of his seven lifebars in one go was supremely satisfying.

Now onto the last set of rooms before the final boss, I think; going to swap out the Warrior for something with a little more finesse.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

the new x-wing game

WHAT?! this is good news

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Achmed Jones posted:

WHAT?! this is good news

if i get this game i'm going to fly a burning a-wing into the bridge of a star destroyer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i often (well, more often than a normal person) like to think about the very first version of microsoft flight simulator, Sublogic FS1, and who exactly this was doing it for. obviously it must have been someone, or microsoft wouldn't have bought the license. but it's hard to imagine someone sitting down in front of their apple ii, firing this up and going "ah, the miracle of flight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvfJ60gIf0

even the very next version looks dramatically more immersive and playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27szyA9mZ8Q

if there are any old sim heads itt who actually played it when it was new i would love to hear what it was like

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 3, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
idk, if the whole vectoring effect or w/e that is was novel back then it was probably pretty impressive. kinda like when starfox came out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

idk, if the whole vectoring effect or w/e that is was novel back then it was probably pretty impressive. kinda like when starfox came out.

yeah originally the dev just wrote about this theoretical wireframe graphics program in a magazine but then enough people were like "i would buy this" that he decided to actually make it. seems pretty terrible but hey. so was the first airplane

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently the wright flyer was extremely unstable and only the wrights could fly it and even then only for like 20 minutes at a time. just having to constantly, instantly react to keep the plane in line, like balancing a broom on your chin.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
more like fright flyer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lol I've been smoking weed and playing a jrpg, and I did a snoop and read this enemy is immune to fire. first thing I did next turn was use fire on the loving thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ive been playing Journey To The Savage Planet and so far it is just right as a platform metroidish game. the two things its got going for it is

1 – the install size is stupid small, 5gb, for a game for this much terrain. im tired of 50gb downloads and
2 – i dont have to care about some elaborate plot to shoot things and find upgrades

the combat strategy and maneuvering feel fine, but the grenade selection is (to me) very tedious. for a controller, I get scrolling left to right, but a keyboard should just map 8 grenade types to 1-8. aside from that, im enjoying hunting upgrades. the game makes finding them easy enough but not easy to reach and allows for flexible solutions so im not always gated by upgrades. this is normally where i tap out on games, so im surprised as anyone that this is fun. Control reformed me on this mechanic so maybe im just coming around to enjoying hunting power-ups

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

second night in a row of opening disco elysium and then looking up and it's 4:00 am.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i mean i had a top of the line for 2003 hotas i know this hole is stupid and largely why i walked away originally

im a top of the line 1978 hotass

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is this a good gaming chair

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cool thanks. going to buy one

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
if you love old scifi junk check out The Deadly Tower of Monsters. it's not a great game but the constant commentary is hilarious.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if you love old scifi junk check out The Deadly Tower of Monsters. it's not a great game but the constant commentary is hilarious.

On sale for the next six hours at the YOSPOS price

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-deadly-tower-of-monsters

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

is this a good gaming chair

yeah for a casual pleb console scrub

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

drat i have to buy a console too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i guess. wouldn’t know tho. im an ipad gaming patrician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that's a good chair for a round of pinocle after your dinner party