Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've been slacking off but I'll get a bunch of this stuff into the op soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo that fire emblem hack thread is good

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I was about to give up on that Fire Emblem Hack thread, but then I got to the plot twist and it was like the goony clouds parted and I was blessed with something good.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There was the one dude that posted about meowing like a cat and crawling out of the room whenever a woman wanted to have sex with him.

Whatever happened to that goon?

If I remember this one correctly, he was trying to hide an erection by tucking it into his waistband and then pretending to be a cat

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

If I remember this one correctly, he was trying to hide an erection by tucking it into his waistband and then pretending to be a cat

He was embarrassed by an erection he got while making out with a girl, like thats not the desired result...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Brought it up in the last thread, but I think the crazy cyber furry micronation (Terra Malatora) thing will always be one of my favorite threads.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Bingo Bango posted:

I was about to give up on that Fire Emblem Hack thread, but then I got to the plot twist and it was like the goony clouds parted and I was blessed with something good.

It's not a very long thread but the twist is so fuckin good and makes the entire thread so much better retrospectively

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Remember the time Texas weird person Romeo Rose graced the forums with his presence? Whatever happened to that guy?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I was posting about Buddhism in the religion thread and it reminded me of the time in the old Buddhism thread that perma-banned poster "The worst thing is" claimed to be completely enlightened and was aggressively accusing everyone else of not actually being buddhist (archives required)

Ruddha came in and posted a legendary series of posts.

Ruddha posted:

Buddha raised a flower. None knew, save one. Mahakashyapa smiled, before his face wrinkled up, and he started shouting "Wow, are you guys seriously like this? Oh my god. Wow, forgot how dumb everyone is, except for me. You guys, holy guacamole."

Ruddha posted:

A young monk approached Joshu, saying, "Master, I have just entered the monastery, please give me your teaching!" Joshu replied, "Have you eaten?" The young monk confirmed, "Uh, yes I have." Joshu calmly replied "Then you should wash your bowl." The young monk's face got really angry as he screamed at him "That is r******ed. Are you serious? Come on. Ohhh my god. That's not even what I asked for, talk about bad faith. I'm outta here."

Ruddha posted:

[in lotus posture] well that's like *leg starts cramping up* [strained] your, opinion man.

the worst thing is posted:

The thinking with the four noble truths is that through lack of attachment to states, the states will fall away, not that they will remain and we just won't be attached to them. It is a certain perspective among many within Buddhism. There are other possible ways to go about the problem. Hope this helps

Ruddha posted:

If I am not attached to being alive, this body will not die.

Eventually "the worst thing is" posting makes Ruddha actually break character and tell him that his posting style makes him think that there's deeper issues at play and express a genuine concern for his emotional well-being.

Eventually The Worst Thing Is made Ruddha actually break character and tell him off

Ruddha posted:

You've spoken hypocritically and childishly a whole bunch in this thing and been shown it a bunch. You're acting like a crazy person, and if you indeed suffer some sort of mental illness, I recommend you seek medical attention and proper council.

The saga starts on page 19 with Ruddha coming in at page 21 and the whole thing really fizzling out on page 26

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where is Ruddha nowadays?

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

Riotgrrill posted:

It was borky (rip) who posted that.

I thought that was a fakepost.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Polaron posted:

Remember the time Texas weird person Romeo Rose graced the forums with his presence? Whatever happened to that guy?

This is all vague because I only have vague half-memories of it. Sorry.

A goon had a friend who met him at a party and tried to date him for the lulz and to report back to the internet about it. (I don't remember Romeo being more or less creepier than expected).

This friend turned out to be a crazy weirdo in her own right, and I think ran for mayor of Austin. Although I forget the specifics of her weirdoness.

I also remember Romeo buying an account and trying to defend himself, and getting laughed at.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I was posting about Buddhism in the religion thread and it reminded me of the time in the old Buddhism thread that perma-banned poster "The worst thing is" claimed to be completely enlightened and was aggressively accusing everyone else of not actually being buddhist (archives required)

Ruddha came in and posted a legendary series of posts.

Eventually "the worst thing is" posting makes Ruddha actually break character and tell him that his posting style makes him think that there's deeper issues at play and express a genuine concern for his emotional well-being.

Eventually The Worst Thing Is made Ruddha actually break character and tell him off

The saga starts on page 19 with Ruddha coming in at page 21 and the whole thing really fizzling out on page 26

It was either a gimmick or the poster was so far up his own his he started defending a gross serial abuser too.

I don't feel qualified to judge the extent of the damage he caused, and I am not sure why you do. What did you see? And not just hear...there's always rumors. I think many of his teachings are worthwhile and one of his students, Reggie Ray, is an amazing current teacher. I think the worst he did was have sex with his students, offend a few people with words, and appoint a terrible successor to his lineage. The drinking and the cocaine were not the worst things in the world, nor the best. He did set a bad example in that way, but he was also very eloquent and effective in some of what he did. And he started meditation centers around the country, as well as Naropa. I'd say his impact was on the whole positive. I don't even want to get into Osho. I'm not a big fan of him, but I am not a big fan of sexual excess, which is what I see in him.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Are you defending the dharma credentials of someone who, despite vows, did piles of coke, drank, and slept with his students while at the same time you're calling other well respected teacher charlatans?

Please remember the fourth precept.

And Chogyam Trungpa is enormously controversial. I personally think he had good qualities. He also had a lot of lousy ones, which he was very upfront about. Most of his students weren't really that bright though, and just wanted to pursue hedonistic nonsense. That's the sense I get. If you're trying to trap me here, I don't care. I am going to defend him to the extent that he was eloquent and made interesting connections. I admit the way he lived his life was slightly ridiculous. But what are you looking for, a God? He came from Tibet, an enormously conservative and even backwards society, and realized quickly he could probably have sex with any white woman he wanted. He had charisma. And so he took advantage of it. What would you have done?

Whoops, so sad, guy from a conservative country just couldn't help himself around white women.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Heath posted:

Where is Ruddha nowadays?

Ascended to a higher plane populated solely by Good Posters, leaving this hollow earth behind.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

1stGear posted:

Ascended to a higher plane populated solely by Good Posters, leaving this hollow earth behind.

There's a certain sadness about going back to iconic and amazing threads with great posters and when you check their poster history realize they just suddenly stopped posting several years ago.

You hope they simply got up from the computer and went out to live a successful and productive life.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No mention of the basement hot tub in the OP.

No idea on the thread.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fister Roboto posted:

No mention of the basement hot tub in the OP.

No idea on the thread.

Heating basement pool.

fooquestionmark posted:

I have a 5000 gallon above ground pool in my basement. It feels nice down there but the water is freezing. I have a tiny rear end pump on it right now that kind of flows water but I'm wanting to heat the hole pool to a reasonable temperature.

For reference.

I want something cheap that won't melt the pool as it is rubber. I know I'm not the only person out there with a pool in their basement.

Grover posted:

Just chiming in to tell you this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, both to your house and to your life! It may sound good on the surface, but is very shortsighted and a horrible idea. Seriously, if you want a basement hot tub, get a basement hot tub. Drain the pool, and put it up outside next summer instead.

Problems I see:
1) Lethal electric shock from the light right over the pool
2) Lethal electric shock from non-GFCI receptacles
3) Broken glass from the light right over the pool
4) Mold from the humidity
5) Rot from the humidity
6) Flood damage from constant splashing
7) Severe flood damage from when it inevitably leaks
8) Structural damage from rot stemming from ignored flood damage
9) Loss of value of your home leading to be unable to sell it

At the very least, install GFCI on your basement receptacle string ($15, maybe $30 if there are two strings) replace the light above the pool with one that's rated for damp conditions and more damage resistant, and buy a dehumidifier.

And to answer your question: Do nothing. Do absolutely nothing. It will warm up to room temperature on its own, you don't have to do anything but wait.

fooquestionmark posted:

Wow, you kids must be real dedicated. I like that...I drained the pool about a week after posting this thread. Hell I don't even live there anymore. The rats, bed bugs and constant flooding (before and after the pool) drove me out.

I will say this will always be something I look back on and remember. Laying in the pool, stoned out of my mind listening to trance with the lights off and the strobe light going will be a high point when I look back on my 20s. Thanks for your "concern"(or should I say anticipation of my Schroeder's perspective) on my existence.

For future googlers that find this thread. In the future if you are trying to heat a pool in your basement first build a wall to keep all the haters out. Second put wood/foam under the pool to insulate it from the concrete. Third buy a baptistry heater to heat the water. Mix these together and you will have a warm basement pool free of haters.

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Sep 3, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Got to give them credit, a baptistery header is a pretty good idea. Kinda expensive though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

There's a certain sadness about going back to iconic and amazing threads with great posters and when you check their poster history realize they just suddenly stopped posting several years ago.

You hope they simply got up from the computer and went out to live a successful and productive life.

most goons just stopped posting at some point for banal reasons, such as a shift in internet consumption habits or just getting tired of the forums in general

i think most people who are still regular posters here have at least some degree of obsession

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

luxury handset posted:

most goons just stopped posting at some point for banal reasons, such as a shift in internet consumption habits or just getting tired of the forums in general

i think most people who are still regular posters here have at least some degree of obsession

Some might have lost their passwords to their old accounts some way or another, too.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some might have lost their passwords to their old accounts some way or another, too.

THIS^
it's why I have like 4 accounts, and you can't use same exact name

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

When Grover lectures you on safety, you know you hosed up.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Persiflagist posted:

I thought that was a fakepost.

I don't think so, I remember some goon coming into a thread like this one to say that they knew him and he was always really awkward but seemed nice enough in general.

But unless that goon's still around or we draw a pentagram around a HP Deskjet 5850 + hold a seance :iiam:

Riotgrrill has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Sep 3, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Riotgrrill posted:

It was borky (rip) who posted that.

that bear posted:

I imagine it going down something like this.

lol

Also found somebody that will be coming off their 100k probe in 33 days.
and uhh hopefully will not come back.
"The terrible things you did to animals as a kid thread!"

Hub Cat has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Sep 3, 2020

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
While it wasn't exclusively an SA saga, I always enjoyed reading the Texarrakis saga.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ruddah responses are sublime, but the post that really nails the saga belongs to Prickly Pete.

quote:

Telling someone they aren't a Buddhist because they disagree with a statement the Buddha never made is an interesting debate strategy, I'll give you that.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420 posted:

i started reading Feeyad when i was 1 year old baby and I looked at the screen and saw the Gross Picks and Got a boner I raped my first "Hoe" at the age of 3 and Cummed in her to. I got all Effs in school and wrote Feeyad memes on all my tests and quizzes and me and NiggerStomper58 would go around and torture woodland creatures and spell out "Coco the clowns a police" with squirrel entrails on the wood board floor of the gym. at the age of 6 i curb stomped a Nigga because he told me Barnacle Jim had a short face. Anyways I work at Goldman Sachs now and make 7 figure salary.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

lol

Also found somebody that will be coming off their 100k probe in 33 days.
and uhh hopefully will not come back.
"The terrible things you did to animals as a kid thread!"

I remember that thread and it's truly horrifying. I hope he gets a permaban just in case they decide to post from their prison cell.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Tell me the one about the tiny gold bean

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cervixalot posted:

When Grover lectures you on safety, you know you hosed up.

It's even worse. Grover often tried to lecture people and failed miserably (e.g. how he tried to demand respect because his government employee pay grade thing made him equal to a colonel or something), but in this case he's absolutely correct.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Famethrowa posted:

I remember that thread and it's truly horrifying. I hope he gets a permaban just in case they decide to post from their prison cell.

I sent the admin team that one asking for an upgrade and it sounded like we were going to get it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's even worse. Grover often tried to lecture people and failed miserably (e.g. how he tried to demand respect because his government employee pay grade thing made him equal to a colonel or something), but in this case he's absolutely correct.

He maintained his fake military cred for quite a while before being found out. It was only after he was outed as a fraud he pulled that argument and was run off the forums.

The SAclopedia entry says it links to the quotes thread for the jokes about groverhaus

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&amp;threadid=3749412&amp;perpage=40&amp;pagenumber=118#post465594828

but the thread isn't in the active forums. Can we get it back since the "mocking groverhaus is prohibited" is no longer a forums rule?

pentyne has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Sep 3, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What page of chicken cheese does it go into AI?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pentyne posted:

He maintained his fake military cred for quite a while before being found out. It was only after he was outed as a fraud he pulled that argument and was run off the forums.

The SAclopedia entry says it links to the quotes thread for the jokes about groverhaus

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&amp;threadid=3749412&amp;perpage=40&amp;pagenumber=118#post465594828

but the thread isn't in the active forums. Can we get it back since the "mocking groverhaus is prohibited" is no longer a forums rule?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=&threadid=3749412&perpage=40&pagenumber=118#post465594828

Here you go, a lot of the SAclopedia URLs are malformed because it turns & into &
edit: and apparently regular posts it converts it back :v: quote me to see what I mean.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why do i get the feeling this is the picture chain i'm looking for?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post409627568

Didn't someone use their engine block to cook chicken cheese

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

What page of chicken cheese does it go into AI?

If you’re looking for the part where someone does one in a Volvo truck engine, I believe that was TFR, not AI. Wish I knew the page but the chat thread there might be able to help.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Len posted:

Why do i get the feeling this is the picture chain i'm looking for?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post409627568

Didn't someone use their engine block to cook chicken cheese

There are a couple engine chickencheeses.
This one:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post409791801

and this one:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3498320&pagenumber=37&perpage=40#post409943960

(there may be more this is just what google threw out)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

does anyone know the original thread from where the goon cave is from?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Which one is the one that shoots the chickencheese with flavour shells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That first one was the one i was looking for