Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1301247020355772418

https://twitter.com/elizaorlins/status/1301236551544967175

quote:

A Black man who had run naked through the streets of a western New York city died of asphyxiation after a group of police officers put a hood over his head, then pressed his face into the pavement for two minutes, according to video and records released Wednesday by the man’s family.

Daniel Prude died March 30 after he was taken off life support, seven days after the encounter with police in Rochester. His death received no public attention until Wednesday, when his family held a news conference and released police body camera video and written reports they obtained through a public records request.

“I placed a phone call for my brother to get help. Not for my brother to get lynched,” Prude’s brother, Joe Prude, said at a news conference Wednesday. “How did you see him and not directly say, ‘The man is defenseless, buck naked on the ground. He’s cuffed up already. Come on.’ How many more brothers gotta die for society to understand that this needs to stop?”

The videos show Prude, who had taken off his clothes, complying when police ask him to get on the ground and put his hands behind his back. Prude is agitated and shouting as officers let him writhe as he sits on the pavement in handcuffs for a few moments as a light snow falls. “Give me your gun, I need it” he shouts.

Then, they put a white “spit hood” over his head, a device intended to protect officers from a detainee’s saliva. At the time, New York was in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.

Prude demands they remove it. “Trying to kill me!” he says before making muffled, anguished sounds under the hood.

Then the officers slam Prude’s head into the street. One officer holds his head down against the pavement with both hands, saying “stop spitting” as Prude’s shouts turn to whimpers and grunts. Another officer places a knee on his back. The officers appear to become concerned when they notice water coming out of Prude’s mouth.

“My man. You puking?” one says.

Prude stops moving and falls silent. One officer notes that he’s been out, naked, in the street for some time. Another remarks, “He feels pretty cold.”

His head had been held down by an officer for just over two minutes, the video shows.

Medics can then be seen performing CPR before he’s loaded into an ambulance.

Spit hoods have been scrutinized as a factor in the deaths of several prisoners in the U.S. and other countries in recent years.

A medical examiner concluded that Prude’s death was a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.” The report lists excited delirium and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or PCP, as contributing factors.

Prude was from Chicago and had just arrived in Rochester for a visit with his brother. He was kicked off the train before it got to Rochester, in Depew, “due to his unruly behavior,” according to an internal affairs investigator’s report.

Rochester police officers took Prude into custody for a mental health evaluation around 7 p.m. on March 22 for suicidal thoughts ― about eight hours before the encounter that led to his death. But his brother said he was only at the hospital for a few hours, according to the reports.

Police responded again after Joe Prude called 911 at about 3 a.m. to report that his brother had left his house.

The city halted its investigation into Prude’s death when state Attorney General Letitia James office began its own investigation in April. Under New York law, deaths of unarmed people in police custody are often turned over to the attorney general’s office, rather than handled by local officials.

James said Wednesday that investigation is continuing.

“I want everyone to understand that at no point in time did we feel that this was something that we wanted not to disclose,” Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren said at a press briefing. “We are precluded from getting involved in it until that agency (the AG’s office) has completed their investigation.”

One officer wrote that they put the hood on Prude because he was spitting continuously in the direction of officers and they were concerned about coronavirus.

Still, activists demanded that officers involved with Prude’s death be prosecuted on murder charges and that they be removed from the department while the investigation proceeds.

“The police have shown us over and over again that they are not equipped to handle individuals with mental health concerns. These officers are trained to kill, and not to deescalate. These officers are trained to ridicule, instead of supporting Mr. Daniel Prude,” Ashley Gantt of Free the People ROC said at the news conference with Prude’s family.

Protesters gathered Wednesday outside Rochester’s Public Safety Building, which serves as police headquarters. Demonstrators remained as night fell.

Free the People ROC said several of its organizers were briefly taken into custody after they entered the building while Warren was speaking to the media.

They were released on appearance tickets, said Iman Abid, regional director of the NYCLU, who was among those taken into custody.

Prude, known to his big Chicago-based family by the nickname “Rell,” was a father of five adult children and had been working at a warehouse within the last year, said his aunt Letoria Moore.

“He was just a bright, loving person, just family-oriented, always there for us when we needed him,” she said, and “never hurt or harmed anybody.”

Prude had been traumatized by the deaths of his mother and a brother in recent years, having lost another brother before that, Moore said. In his last months, he’d been going back and forth between his Chicago home and his brother’s place in Rochester because he wanted to be close with him, she said.

She knew her nephew had some psychological issues. Still, when he called two days before his death, “he was the normal Rell that I knew,” Moore said.

“I didn’t know what was the situation, why he was going through what he was going through that night, but I know he didn’t deserve to be killed by the police,” she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trumps whole “your favorite President, me,” thing is just... I don’t even know what it is.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just hear "your favorite President! Me, Bender!".

I think of Mel Brooks introducing his own toy in Spaceballs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnXKE0nfAjI&t=79s

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's literally zero chance that anyone in phoenix isn't aware that it literally injures/kills people to pin them against 150 degree pavement.

Gah I lived in Phoenix before for 5 years and you're right. I physically cringed reading that. That's loving despicable. Lock those cops up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PhazonLink posted:

^
him walking into and out of his own jet was probably a similar amount ??

Good point.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can’t take four more years of this. My brain is already pudding. It’s so, so funny, but it’s so vile and horrible that I can’t take it.

Agreed. Imagine if Hillary had said in 2016 that if Trump was elected in 4 years we'd be in a Greater Depression, constant riots, protests ever day, a pandemic where 200,000 people are dead, everything boarded up, everyone has to wear masks when going out, everything is closed, a civil war brewing, and he would just be tweeting about ratings for various tv shows. She would have been laughed out of the room. But here we are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

VH4Ever posted:

Gah I lived in Phoenix before for 5 years and you're right. I physically cringed reading that. That's loving despicable. Lock those cops up.

Phoenix pavement is a fuckin force of nature to everyone who has experienced it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Phoenix pavement is a fuckin force of nature to everyone who has experienced it.

In Vegas every summer the local news would do a dumb bit of frying an egg on the pavement to show how hot it is. And Phoenix is as hot or hotter.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Truth. Phoenix: yeah, you can actually cook on the pavement in the summer. Phoenix: it's so hot in summer the principles of flight stop applying at the airport.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
The most racist guy I’ve known personally these last few years moved to Phoenix, where he coincidentally became even more racist.

My ex had some lovely friends.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I wouldn’t be surprised if Phoenix was more chuddy than big cities in Texas by now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
once again i would like to post the pop science theory that AC and refrigeration allows hot places to have a higher population that they would normally / sensibly have and thus have more congressional reps/electoral college points.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

CubanMissile posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Phoenix was more chuddy than big cities in Texas by now.

It's a mixed bag. Funny enough, I bet "Phoenix" itself with its Democratic mayor isn't as Chuddy at you think. But Mesa, Gilbert, Surprise, Goodyear, Scottsdale, Tempe, Avondale, Apache Junction etc etc etc, the other cities in their own right that make up the Phoenix metro? I bet those are um...slightly different politically from Phoenix itself.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The medical examiner needs to go to jail as well, for the "excited delirium" nonsense.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

VH4Ever posted:

It's a mixed bag. Funny enough, I bet "Phoenix" itself with its Democratic mayor isn't as Chuddy at you think. But Mesa, Gilbert, Surprise, Goodyear, Scottsdale, Tempe, Avondale, Apache Junction etc etc etc, the other cities in their own right that make up the Phoenix metro? I bet those are um...slightly different politically from Phoenix itself.

Truth. The guy I mentioned lives in a ridiculously oversized monstrosity in Scottsdale. I can’t imagine how much it costs to cool that place.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Truth. The guy I mentioned lives in a ridiculously oversized monstrosity in Scottsdale. I can’t imagine how much it costs to cool that place.

Yup, ding ding ding ding! Scottsdale makes a poo poo ton of sense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VH4Ever posted:

tempe's blue-ish because college students, fwiw

scottsdale's also blue-ish right now because suburb revolt against trump but i don't really expect that to stick too well past 2020 because, well

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 3, 2020

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

CubanMissile posted:

I've lived in downtown Phoenix (5th biggest city in the US!) since 1982, apart from stints in CHI and SF for school and work. It's delightfully progressive down here and should continue to get more so. Incredible protests, improving social programs.

The suburbs, not so much, but as a therapist and social worker who works with ~1000 kids and their families a year, I'm hoping we're slowly changing that.

Rural AZ still largely bootstraps territory.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1301221207405199361?s=19

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1301134139643572224?s=20

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Texas cities are not what's preventing the state from going blue, it's the suburbs and rural areas that drag it down. Honestly the big cities are great in many ways. Houston might be the most diverse city in the US, and every city has amazing food scenes from a combination of recent immigrants and traditional cuisines. But it's really frustrating living here and seeing the massive blind spot Texans have around transit infrastructure funding. Texas has to be ground zero for car culture.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wilbur Swain posted:

Texas cities are not what's preventing the state from going blue, it's the suburbs and rural areas that drag it down. Honestly the big cities are great in many ways. Houston might be the most diverse city in the US, and every city has amazing food scenes from a combination of recent immigrants and traditional cuisines. But it's really frustrating living here and seeing the massive blind spot Texans have around transit infrastructure funding. Texas has to be ground zero for car culture.

Yeah, Texas needs a better bus system BAD.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OddObserver posted:

The medical examiner needs to go to jail as well, for the "excited delirium" nonsense.

Imo if they started getting their licensed pulled they would shape up real fast since Im fairly certain those postions are hyper competitve.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mat Cauthon posted:

The tell is that you can get a ticket (or arrested) for letting your dog walk on the pavement or leaving them in the car while you run into the store on a hot summer day in Arizona or Texas or any other place where temps reach 100+ on the regular. The same cops that would cite you for such animal cruelty wouldn't blink an eye at holding down a Black or brown person on the hot ground to prove a point - which is that our humanity is worth less to them than the appearance of "law and order".

There was another case in Phoenix last year where cops pulled guns on a Black family in a car after they'd been accused of shoplifting, and threatened to shoot the mother when she refused to put her toddler down on the hot pavement in the middle of the summer:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/us/phoenix-police-fired-barbie.html

Those cops got fired miraculously but there is no reforming this.

Phoenix is legendary for how bad its police and sheriffs are. As I recall, cops who have been dumped from police forces all over the country for malfeasance regularly get a second career in Phoenix and Maricopa County.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scottsdale is the only place in my life I've ever been hassled just for walking on the sidewalk. Apparently in Arizona only the underclass walks?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Kale posted:

Yeah basically. A Democrat hosed up (and yes she did gently caress up and will and should get a certain amount of flack for it as that's how life is supposed to work), but the fact that you just know both the CHUDs and the Dirtbag Left people will be bleating and memeing about it up and down Twitter and Fox News (and thus to a certain extent here) for about the same time Benghazi was a thing for Hillary, in order to work a very particular favored narrative already kind of has me rolling me eyes a little. I mean Chris Cilliza chose to make it his big "The Point" stir the pot and get the clicks poo poo journalism piece for CNN today so that says a lot already.
I don't think it's justified to use an imagined prediction of future events to downplay what happened ("both the CHUDs and the Dirtbag Left people will be bleating and memeing about it... [which] already kind of has me rolling me eyes a little").

Seems especially unfair to pre-emptively blame this on the online left and right when your only concrete example of someone talking about it so far is Chris Cillizza, the avatar of the online center.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arglebargle III posted:

Scottsdale is the only place in my life I've ever been hassled just for walking on the sidewalk. Apparently in Arizona only the underclass walks?

What are you doing out and about at this time, Daywalker.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why does Phoenix even exist

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why does Phoenix even exist

There were Native American settlements in Phoenix a thousand years ago.

Edit:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

tempe's blue-ish because college students, fwiw

scottsdale's also blue-ish right now because suburb revolt against trump but i don't really expect that to stick too well past 2020 because, well

There’s nothing blue-ish about Scottsdale. It’s worse than almost every other town/city in the Phoenix area.

You’re referring to a City that rejected light rail and bus expansion into its commercial core because they said it would allow the homeless and “riff raff” to more easily get to the City.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 3, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SourKraut posted:

There were Native American settlements in Phoenix a thousand years ago.

If there were only a few hundred or a thousand people living in the Valley of the Sun, it would be a fantastic and sustainable paradise, well watered in the desert.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The salt river valley had hundreds of miles of irrigation a thousand years ago and had the single biggest civilization north of the aztecs. People had been living in the area for ~8,000 years and on a permanent basis for 2-3,000.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wilbur Swain posted:

But it's really frustrating living here and seeing the massive blind spot Texans have around transit infrastructure funding. Texas has to be ground zero for car culture.

Yeah, no, I don't blame them at all, because trying to pitch that Houston need a better transit system after the major gently caress up, which is still on going, that is the metro train system is a really hard sell. God know how many billions were wasted, still being wasted, which could have gone to building real transit solutions. So I understand why they're soured to the whole idea. :colbert:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The Phoenix area is perfectly capable of supporting a settlement of a couple thousand people. A city of nearly 5 million however not so much.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jagged Jim posted:

The Phoenix area is perfectly capable of supporting a settlement of a couple thousand people. A city of nearly 5 million however not so much.

Also the climate was wetter in the past.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Most of the country needs better mass transit. Even cities that have bus systems, etc they are poorly laid out and ran. For example I lived in a city that was less than 10 miles and you could drive from one side of the city to the other in maybe 15 minutes. To take the bus from the center of the city to east side, which would take at most 10 minutes depending on traffic and lights in a car, would take 2.5 hours on their bus system, requiring a transfer. Tons of people used it because it was a low income area. Many of these people were spending most of their day traveling or working. You are effectively living to work.

I really, really wish that it was a requirement for Americans to leave the United States and live elsewhere for a few years. Everywhere else on the planet has universal health care, mass transit including light rail. We are this crazy backwoods country in so many ways.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

At around 10 seconds he shifts his weight forward in a way that should topple him, yet he remains upright. I have no idea how this would be possible without some weird harness/support system.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

At around 10 seconds he shifts his weight forward in a way that should topple him, yet he remains upright. I have no idea how this would be possible without some weird harness/support system.

He has things in his shoes to make him taller.

It makes him lean forward.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's the likelihood of Arizona, Texas and Georgia actually becoming swing states or even going blue? I know the arguments behind urbanisation and immigration etc, it just still seems completely wrong to me as an outsider that those places could become substantially more Democratic than Republican.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I will never shed a tear or even feel bad that a cop dies. gently caress them all.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Georgia not at all, Kemp is still going hard on the suppression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pick posted:

Reminds me of when people said they didn't like Hillary in the debate because she seemed too prepared

Almost like prepared… To do something later… Maybe something important, I don't know

Write a book about how her loss was everyone else's fault but hers?