Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MikusR posted:

They do. And classify them as hack tools. Same with many nirsoft utilities. But you can easily add them to exclusions.
The reason, I think, is that the same definitions are used in business settings. And in those cases it's better to be safe than sorry.

yeah, this particular file is classified as a hack tool. i dunno, i allowed it to quarantine it and my office seems to remain activated, i'll see what happens. the laptop doesn't really contain anything sensitive (including no website logins or anything, it's just the one i take to work to show powerpoints and stuff), so i'm not too concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

yeah, this particular file is classified as a hack tool. i dunno, i allowed it to quarantine it and my office seems to remain activated, i'll see what happens. the laptop doesn't really contain anything sensitive (including no website logins or anything, it's just the one i take to work to show powerpoints and stuff), so i'm not too concerned.

That tool needs to run every month or so.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just got to run that office crack defender thinks is a trojan on the laptop you take to work. No big deal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Windows 10 Mail app is refusing to show an attachment in an email sent to my Gmail account that shows up just fine in the Outlook app on my iPhone. What the heck!?

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
how do I stop windows 10 pro (insider version 2004) rebooting and destroying my work. This random german app used to block reboots, but it seems to have stopped working at some point.
I've fiddled with the task scheduler to no end. I just don't want this to reboot automatically and kill all my processes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

how do I stop windows 10 pro (insider version 2004) rebooting and destroying my work. This random german app used to block reboots, but it seems to have stopped working at some point.
I've fiddled with the task scheduler to no end. I just don't want this to reboot automatically and kill all my processes.

What does Windows think are your active hours? I have it set so it will just have a notification but won't try to actively reboot on its own during active hours, and the machine is usually off outside those anyway so I do reboots manually.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I assume you have admin access to the machine? If you don't/it's a work device, game over, save often or suffer

if you do,

gpedit -> admin templates/windows components/windows update/configure automatic updates has the buttons you seek, along with text to tell you what the options in the menu do. choose wisely and it will never reboot on you without you letting it, as god intended

(but still save often)

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 3, 2020

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
I've changed that setting, but it still auto reboots. It is my machine.

I have "Configure Automatic Updates" to "Enabled - 2 Notify for download and auto install"
and "No auto restart with logged on users" to "Enabled"

Saving isn't the main issue. I've got hyper-v instances running, and not all of the services on those VMs can be started automatically (yet). The other thing is the GPU compute tasks I am running get their state all screwed up with the forceful shutdown, and again, manual intervention.

edit: my active hours are 10PM to 4PM, I can't set active hours beyond 18 hours a day...

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 3, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Disconnect the computer from internet access, and if it needs to fetch data for compute work from a network then set up a proxy allowing only that data through.

(Two advantages to this approach: No way it can download updates, and if a new vulnerability is discovered then the attack surface is minimized.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-restart#delay-automatic-reboot

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Klyith posted:

I generally believe they wouldn't add cracks to the malware signatures just because they're MS cracks if it didn't have malware. However, cracks work on a lot of the same principles as malware -- modifying other executable files, hacking system memory, etc -- so they're good candidates for false detection based on heuristics.
Things like AutoKMS for instance, used to activate plenty of Microsoft warez, is specifically recognized and removed by Defender. It goes specifically by HackTool:Win32/AutoKMS. I've seen it react to other shady but legit "tools".

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

nielsm posted:

Disconnect the computer from internet access, and if it needs to fetch data for compute work from a network then set up a proxy allowing only that data through.

(Two advantages to this approach: No way it can download updates, and if a new vulnerability is discovered then the attack surface is minimized.)

I get that that that could be an option, but that is the stupidest possible solution I could think of. Though I suppose I could air-gap entirely, someone should suggest that.

I still want updates. I just want to have the option of saving my work before rebooting, as we have done for millennia
I do dev-work on this machine every day, I am capable of consenting to a reboot. Windows used to do that. OSX does that. Ubuntu unattended-update is sane. Hell, even iOS clearly communicates what it is doing.
This reboot when I am not looking is bullshit.

edit: looks like I could set the connection to metered and essentially control when updates happen via this property? Hmmmm.

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 3, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I've changed that setting, but it still auto reboots. It is my machine.

I have "Configure Automatic Updates" to "Enabled - 2 Notify for download and auto install"
and "No auto restart with logged on users" to "Enabled"

Saving isn't the main issue. I've got hyper-v instances running, and not all of the services on those VMs can be started automatically (yet). The other thing is the GPU compute tasks I am running get their state all screwed up with the forceful shutdown, and again, manual intervention.

Have you checked the event log to see whether these were expected reboots, and when they're happening? Because if this is happening all the time it's not windows update responsible. Most of this summer I've not seen more than 1 reboot-required patch per month, up until I took 2004 anyways.

If your computer is hard rebooting at random times that says hardware problem, including bad PSU which can be slowly killing your other components. If it's something consistent like reboot when you try to resume from sleep that may just be drivers.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

Klyith posted:

Have you checked the event log to see whether these were expected reboots, and when they're happening? Because if this is happening all the time it's not windows update responsible. Most of this summer I've not seen more than 1 reboot-required patch per month, up until I took 2004 anyways.

If your computer is hard rebooting at random times that says hardware problem, including bad PSU which can be slowly killing your other components. If it's something consistent like reboot when you try to resume from sleep that may just be drivers.

This was a really good call, it is not windows update at all! Apologies, windows 10, you're slightly more reasonable that I was accusing you of.
I have an event "The previous system shutdown was unexpected".
Looks like I will chase some hardware gremlins.

Thanks!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mystes posted:

Just got to run that office crack defender thinks is a trojan on the laptop you take to work. No big deal.

it's a powerpoint machine that i hook up to an overhead projector to explain the present continuous tense to a bunch of 15 year olds. somehow i dont think the chinese government is interested in stealing my grammar secrets

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

it's a powerpoint machine that i hook up to an overhead projector to explain the present continuous tense to a bunch of 15 year olds. somehow i dont think the chinese government is interested in stealing my grammar secrets

If that's the case and you're making your own presentations it seems like Libre Office could probably take care of that. I've used it as my main office software even when I have actual Office available because I find it much less irritating than the Microsoft product. I've used it for Powerpointy stuff and it was more than competent, as I recall.

Hell, now that I think about it's Powerpoint that made me start using Open Office (predecessor of Libre Office) in the first place. My job required me to take people's pre-existing Powerpoints and convert them to web slideshows, and the export tool in Powerpoint would only save images as fuckoff huge bitmaps. Open Office would let me choose the image file, and actually spat out halfway decent HTML code instead of the weird bloated crap Powerpoint itself would generate.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fallom posted:

The Windows 10 Mail app is refusing to show an attachment in an email sent to my Gmail account that shows up just fine in the Outlook app on my iPhone. What the heck!?

The built in mail, calendar, photos aps are crap made by interns with mental development problems. It usually happens with mail from other gmail adresses. Use Thunderbird ir any other mail client.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fallom posted:

I had this exact same problem and ended up ditching the Mail app for Mailspring.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If that's the case and you're making your own presentations it seems like Libre Office could probably take care of that. I've used it as my main office software even when I have actual Office available because I find it much less irritating than the Microsoft product. I've used it for Powerpointy stuff and it was more than competent, as I recall.

Hell, now that I think about it's Powerpoint that made me start using Open Office (predecessor of Libre Office) in the first place. My job required me to take people's pre-existing Powerpoints and convert them to web slideshows, and the export tool in Powerpoint would only save images as fuckoff huge bitmaps. Open Office would let me choose the image file, and actually spat out halfway decent HTML code instead of the weird bloated crap Powerpoint itself would generate.

yeah i use the libreoffice version when making my own documents, but problems arise when i try to open stuff in libreoffice that was saved in ms office by someone else, powerpoints end up all scrambled (text too big or offscreen etc), word files tend to have the pages messed up, which is annoying when it's a form or something that i need to fill in that's supposed to have certain things on a certain page (like the signature at the bottom, i've had that part end up on a separate page in libreoffice, i'm assuming this is some kind of subtle difference in the libreoffice and word file systems that microsoft uses to give people a reason to buy their software

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i use the libreoffice version when making my own documents, but problems arise when i try to open stuff in libreoffice that was saved in ms office by someone else, powerpoints end up all scrambled (text too big or offscreen etc), word files tend to have the pages messed up, which is annoying when it's a form or something that i need to fill in that's supposed to have certain things on a certain page (like the signature at the bottom, i've had that part end up on a separate page in libreoffice, i'm assuming this is some kind of subtle difference in the libreoffice and word file systems that microsoft uses to give people a reason to buy their software

Yeah, I have seen some similar things. I've found I can avoid other people having problems with files if I save them in older Office formats instead of new (saving as .doc instead of .docx, .ppt instead of .pptx, etc.) but that only works on sending, not receiving files.

I haven't spent a lot of time seeing how the Android or web versions of Office handle these situations, as I haven't had a need to. This question has reminded me that I don't have an actual Office install on my new desktop, so it could potentially come up.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Kind of weird: I recently upgraded my PC, mostly, but kept the GPU (gtx970) and two monitors (1440p and 1080p). Now some programs are blurry. They typically all look good on the 1440p monitor, but some of them will look blurry as hell on the 1080p monitor. Some of them look blurry in both. This didn't happen at all previously. Any idea on how to fix it?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There's a guy in SA-mart selling Office 2019 Pro Plus keys for $20, which seems pretty reasonable considering that's a non-subscription version. I'm not making a stand against stealing software from massive corporations here, but you've got to consider if it's worth the headache.

e:

Jinnigan posted:

Kind of weird: I recently upgraded my PC, mostly, but kept the GPU (gtx970) and two monitors (1440p and 1080p). Now some programs are blurry. They typically all look good on the 1440p monitor, but some of them will look blurry as hell on the 1080p monitor. Some of them look blurry in both. This didn't happen at all previously. Any idea on how to fix it?
Possibly hosed up overscaling/underscaling settings?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Possibly hosed up overscaling/underscaling settings?

i've got it at the same scale i had previously, and it's the size i want. is there something in those settings that would somehow make it blurry or not blurry? i tried out the cleartype stuff but that didn't have any effect

tried a few of the solutions in here: https://superuser.com/questions/1287429/how-to-fix-blurry-text-in-windows-10-with-multiple-monitors
the one that ended up working for me (i didn't test exhaustively) was setting the 1080p monitor to be my main screen, restarting so all programs were locked into those scale settings, then moving my main screen back to the 1440p monitor, no restart.

what a pain in the rear end.

update two: it did not work for me

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 5, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jinnigan posted:

i've got it at the same scale i had previously, and it's the size i want. is there something in those settings that would somehow make it blurry or not blurry? i tried out the cleartype stuff but that didn't have any effect
Sorry I meant overscan instead of scaling. But you probably would have noticed if you had black borders or if edges of your desktop were invisible, so I didn't think that through.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hooah posted:

I had this exact same problem and ended up ditching the Mail app for Mailspring.

Nuts. Rest in piss, Mail app, I guess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jinnigan posted:

Set DPI scaling to 100% on all monitors in windows Settings -> Display, then reboot

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
My PC crashed with a faulty_hardware_corrupted_page error. Does anyone know how to diagnose exactly what happened? Where can I get the dump that it apparently took two minutes to do?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not sure about that, but running a memtest would be a good idea.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The indended solution is to press the "pause updates" button in Settings. No need for third-party tools or group policies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Beef Eater posted:

My PC crashed with a faulty_hardware_corrupted_page error. Does anyone know how to diagnose exactly what happened? Where can I get the dump that it apparently took two minutes to do?

You should be able to find logs in the Administrative Tools (or whatever they are calling it now) from the Control Panel.

But this is good advice:

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not sure about that, but running a memtest would be a good idea.

Also check Device Manager to see if there are any exclamation points or other weirdness in there. Driver problems can apparently cause that error, as well as the usual suspects like 3rd part antivirus and such.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

Set DPI scaling to 100% on all monitors in windows Settings -> Display, then reboot

This works. But then when I want my large monitor to be 125% it goes back to blurry. Isn't there any way to do that but still keep crisp rendering on all my apps?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jinnigan posted:

This works. But then when I want my large monitor to be 125% it goes back to blurry. Isn't there any way to do that but still keep crisp rendering on all my apps?

No, there isn't. DPI scaling on windows has an impossible problem: any apps that are older than or not built with the new-ish UI APIs that have built-in scaling awareness can't scale themselves. So they just get enlarged by windows and, despite using some neat tricks to make it as nice as possible, that means some parts have blur.

You can go into right click properties of a program shortcut or exe and do this:

which just turns off DPI scaling for most apps. It will be small but crisp. Otherwise, the only solution is to move to different apps that support scaling.

Also the thing where setting the other monitor (the 100% one) to the primary fixes the issue sometimes is because of this, if your primary is 100% some apps will stay 100% all the time even when moved onto the scaled one. It's not consistent and not a great solution.

Macs OTOH have great DPI scaling. They can do that because they've occasionally said "Hey, your expensive computer and all the software you own for it? Throw that poo poo in the trash, cause we're done with it. Buy the new hotness or get out."

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Well! That sucks!! Guess I will shell out for another 1440p monitor eventually

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This is exactly why I have a 49" 4k TV as a monitor. It ends up being about normal 24" DPI (96-100) except loving huge.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there any free, lightweight way to make the title bars for individual windows translucent, in the same way that you can make the taskbar translucent?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

Is there any free, lightweight way to make the title bars for individual windows translucent, in the same way that you can make the taskbar translucent?

Yes but it's based on hacking system files so you have to stay behind on win versions.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

This is exactly why I have a 49" 4k TV as a monitor. It ends up being about normal 24" DPI (96-100) except loving huge.

89.9 PPI, which is maybe a touch on the low side, I found my old 24" 1920×1200 monitors on the low side (94 PPI)

I'm running a 43" monitor, so 102, which is just about right for me, and I can honestly say I wouldn't want a monitor that was physically bigger, but each to their own

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 6, 2020

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Sorry if this has been asked before, but 5 minutes of googling provided no answers:

I decided to make an external Windows 10 boot drive on a USB stick for my PC and was wondering if I need to go through that process again for my laptop with another stick or does the one from the PC cover all my boot drive needs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One will cover all your boot drive needs if it was done using the Windows Media Creation Tool. If you used some third-party utility like Rufus, you might run into issues where Secure Boot is enabled on your laptop but not desktop, which would mean your stick would only boot on your desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nah it'll work for anything really