Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rhaka posted:

So in I-don't-quite-get-it terms, you can buy a B450 mobo now which will work with the new AMD CPUs when they release, or you can buy a B550 mobo/the new hotness alongside the new CPUs in X months?

You can buy a B550 now and it will be compatible with whatever new CPUs come out over the next few months. They have almost exactly the same future-proofing that x570s do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

So grab a 550 mobo and a current ryzen, 3080 when it hits, consider selling/replacing CPU in a few months time if the upgrade is worth it?

I don't think I've ever bothered with upgrading a CPU, whenever its getting sluggish it's usually time to replace the whole bloody machine. No idea how selling off a used CPU would go.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is the 3700x a clear upgrade for gaming versus the 7700k? I’m starting to see a lot of thread posts online about how people are seeing LESS performance in FPS compared to their 7700.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kraftwerk posted:

Is the 3700x a clear upgrade for gaming versus the 7700k? I’m starting to see a lot of thread posts online about how people are seeing LESS performance in FPS compared to their 7700.

What games, specifically? And what resolution? If somebody is comparing an old game at 1080p using an OC'd 7700k to a stock 3700X I can see it, but that's not what upgrading now is for.

Newer games are becoming more multi-threaded, and all future games are going to be built for the next-gen consoles that are literally using a slower version of the 3700X. That's why it's the recommended step above the basic 3600.

The 7700K is 4 core/8 thread with a max turbo of 4.5 GHz. The 3700X is 8 core/16 thread with a max boost of 4.4. For any new and future game it's almost certainly going to be objectively better.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sean10mm posted:

If you need SHITLOADS of long term data storage hard drives are still good because they're cheaper.

But if all you need is like 1TB just get a 1TB SSD.

Got any good recommendations for a cheap big non-SSD hard drive?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Somebody else will have to take this one, I really don't keep up on mechanical drive stuff anymore. :saddowns:

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Looking to upgrade my 1070 in the next few months (along with a whole new build). I am currently using a 144hz/1440p monitor, would the 3080 be overkill for this or is it worth picking up? My budget would fit either one so I guess I am looking for feedback.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Harry Privates posted:

Looking to upgrade my 1070 in the next few months (along with a whole new build). I am currently using a 144hz/1440p monitor, would the 3080 be overkill for this or is it worth picking up? My budget would fit either one so I guess I am looking for feedback.

Without real benchmarks from independent reviews we can't be 100% sure, but my guess is the 3070 is ideal for that role and the 3080 is more for the 4k crew.

I mean gaming marches on, but the 2080Ti was the 4k king and the 3070 is supposed to be on par with that

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Without real benchmarks from independent reviews we can't be 100% sure, but my guess is the 3070 is ideal for that role and the 3080 is more for the 4k crew.

I mean gaming marches on, but the 2080Ti was the 4k king and the 3070 is supposed to be on par with that

Faster even, if we’re to believe THE GRAPH.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WampaLord posted:

The best value for money is buying an 8TB or larger external WD drive and shucking it from its case. They're on sale frequently. The current deal isn't the best (they get as low as $120 for the easystore version) but it's still decent:
Additional savings w/ promo code EMCDRDG39, limited offer (brings it to $130):
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-8tb/p/N82E16822234349?Item=N82E16822234349

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwtxMV2YB0

If you don't feel like shucking the 6tb CMR disks are $150-200:
https://smile.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Red-Hard-Drive/dp/B07B1HX5KN/
https://smile.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B085Z4P89R/
https://smile.amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch-Internal-Drive-HDWN160XZSTA/dp/B06Y2KCXCM/

I own two of the Toshiba 6TB and they've been good for me but they do have mixed reviews in the comments.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WampaLord posted:

I'm all for a big cheap 5400 RPM drive, because if you're not running games or stuff from it it doesn't matter. They're plenty fast enough for video and media if you have a ripped DVD collection or whatnot. Cheap 3-6TB drives are also often using shingled recording which is bad in something like a NAS, but again doesn't matter as a single-drive data dump.

Brand doesn't really matter in this segment, and don't bother buying a "NAS" branded drive if you're not using it in a multi-drive NAS. They're not more reliable, they just have firmware behavior that's better for a NAS.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rexxed posted:

The best value for money is buying an 8TB or larger external WD drive and shucking it from its case. They're on sale frequently. The current deal isn't the best (they get as low as $120 for the easystore version) but it's still decent:
Additional savings w/ promo code EMCDRDG39, limited offer (brings it to $130):
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-8tb/p/N82E16822234349?Item=N82E16822234349

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwtxMV2YB0

https://smile.amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch-Internal-Drive-HDWN160XZSTA/dp/B06Y2KCXCM/

I own two of the Toshiba 6TB and they've been good for me but they do have mixed reviews in the comments.

I have one of the toshiba 8Tb 7200. They’re loud as gently caress but perform well.

If you have a local micro center the best HDD deals I’ve gotten are just checking week by week at their sales till I saw a decent price/GB.

Also, I ended up with the 850w superflower. Higher watt PSUs are going OOS everywhere now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I can't find any rubbing alcohol around me. Is there an option for cleaning off thermal grease from a CPU that doesn't involve rubbing alcohol?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I can't find any rubbing alcohol around me. Is there an option for cleaning off thermal grease from a CPU that doesn't involve rubbing alcohol?

ISO if you can find it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Klyith posted:

I'm all for a big cheap 5400 RPM drive, because if you're not running games or stuff from it it doesn't matter. They're plenty fast enough for video and media if you have a ripped DVD collection or whatnot. Cheap 3-6TB drives are also often using shingled recording which is bad in something like a NAS, but again doesn't matter as a single-drive data dump.

Brand doesn't really matter in this segment, and don't bother buying a "NAS" branded drive if you're not using it in a multi-drive NAS. They're not more reliable, they just have firmware behavior that's better for a NAS.

Thank you both, this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

seiferguy posted:

Got vodka? Or gin? Any clear booze that doesn't have sugar really.

Or just wipe it real good with some paper towel or cloth, it really doesn't need to be perfectly clean. A little residue from old paste won't hurt anything.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly 2-3 year old games
What's your budget? $400

Building a gaming/Youtube PC for my daughter. Will be using a Ryzen 5 2400 and RX 580 I already have. I don't have experience with this Thermaltake case, but it gets good reviews and I think everything will fit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.44 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $332.40

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sim posted:

I don't have experience with this Thermaltake case, but it gets good reviews and I think everything will fit.

Things will deff fit, because that case is a lot bigger than it looks. You see the pics and think about mini-itx shoebox cases with the same shape, but that thing is over 45½ L volume. That's well more than a full ATX Meshify C!

By comparison, a Cooler Master Q300L is only 33.5 L, or the tower-style thermaltake Versa H18 is 36.

It's an interesting case, but if you chose it for being small you might want to re-think because it ain't that. It's just short and wide.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Klyith posted:

Got vodka? Or gin? Any clear booze that doesn't have sugar really.

Or just wipe it real good with some paper towel or cloth, it really doesn't need to be perfectly clean. A little residue from old paste won't hurt anything.

This is actually, seriously fine? There's no iso around here, the cleaning alcohol is just normal drinking alcohol. I'm not doing anything that needs it now but I always worried about it leaving some kind of residue.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrainDance posted:

This is actually, seriously fine? There's no iso around here, the cleaning alcohol is just normal drinking alcohol. I'm not doing anything that needs it now but I always worried about it leaving some kind of residue.

I mean technically you can wash a board with distilled water as long as it’s discharged and fully dry after.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Is there a thread to ask about a fresh Windows install on a new PC? Just got done building and I can't seem to select a boot option. Got my SSD and a Windows 10 iso on a flash drive but I've got options greyed out in the UEFI and nothing to select on the boot menu and I need help.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrainDance posted:

Sure, there's nothing in vodka to leave residue. Just ethanol and water and the ghost of a potato. Gin hardly has anything more.

Rum can vary a lot in how much sugar is in it so maybe a bit more cautious with that, lemme do a couple shots first to check.

Kingnothing posted:

I mean technically you can wash a board with distilled water as long as it’s discharged and fully dry after.

Water doesn't do much to thermal paste though, the silicone oils that make it liquid don't mix with water. Need something non-polar.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

You can also look for small alcohol swabs. Same solution and you don't even need to provide the paper towel.

https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/...WEaAmGPEALw_wcB

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

You can also look for small alcohol swabs. Same solution and you don't even need to provide the paper towel.

To add to this if you have any methanol available that would also work as it has similar solvent capacity as ethanol.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Is there a thread to ask about a fresh Windows install on a new PC? Just got done building and I can't seem to select a boot option. Got my SSD and a Windows 10 iso on a flash drive but I've got options greyed out in the UEFI and nothing to select on the boot menu and I need help.

Did you use the windows media creation tool?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can't just drop a windows iso onto the usb drive if that's what you did.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you use the windows media creation tool?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can't just drop a windows iso onto the usb drive if that's what you did.

Thank you, between the time I posted this and now I got it figured out. I had to create a usb bootable from a mac as that's the only computer I had access to. Had my usb formatted incorrectly. I'm now posting from my newly built PC! Thanks again.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth adapter? Ideally just usb or something but if those arent great lmk

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

seiferguy posted:

Hand sanitizer.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Since the PSU sweet spot I was looking for, ~850W, is out of stock, I think I might have to jump on this SeaSoninc 1000W (which isn't a horrible idea since I'm going with a 3080 anyway):

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-ssr-1000fx-1000w/p/N82E16817151210?Item=N82E16817151210

I've never used SeaSonic, but they are always recommended. I see that most of the EVGA PSU's are in stock around the web, though. Is there any reason why the EVGA's haven't sold out like every other brand, other than possibly they just had a larger back stock of them?

Also, how much of a difference is there realistically between a Gold and Platinum/Titanium certified unit?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Kunabomber posted:

This particular product is fine because it contains only alcohol and water, for injection prep - but stay away from alcohol wipes which have skin moisturizer in it.

Dead Goon posted:

Hand sanitizer.

I mean, I wouldn't. Pharmacies will have the alcohol-only wipes - often very tiny ones for injection prep, even though these days the hand sanitizer type probably sells more. Some gas stations and auto shops will have cleaning alcohol in bottles. I don't want to be smearing glycerol and aloe vera over my CPU.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I've currently got a 1080ti plugged into a Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 motherboard, with a i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor and 16gb of DDR3-1600. It's honestly done me proud for many years. I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, processor, ram, PSU so I can donate these parts to a friend with a 980ti. The machine is used almost exclusively for gaming. What's the best bang for buck on the market right now. I should also mention that I'll probably upgrading my 1080ti at some point to an RTX 3080 (when/if poo poo calms down!). I also don't mind overspending today to keep the build relevant for another couple of years.

Edit : Oh yeah

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? PROFESSIONAL GAMER
What's your budget? $1500

Also, I love my Fractal Design Define R5, is there anything better than it these days?

midge fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 3, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

midge posted:

What's the best bang for buck on the market right now? I should also mention that I'll probably upgrading my 1080ti at some point to an RTX 3080 (when/if poo poo calms down!).

Also, I love my Fractal Design Define R5, is there anything better than it these days?

A ryzen 3600 or 3700X on a B550 mobo. fake edit: with your budget, a 3700X.

edit: wait does the $1500 canukbucks also need to cover the eventual 3080? because that's gonna be tough, those are $700 USD so $900 CAD. If $1500 is your total budget I'd strongly consider a 3070 instead.

If you like the R5 I'd just stick with it. There are newer versions of the same thing with more current layouts (ie, psu shrouds, no 5.25" drives, and 140mm fan sizing) but unless you just feel like spending money or really want usb-c it's not worth upgrading.

Samadhi posted:

I've never used SeaSonic, but they are always recommended. I see that most of the EVGA PSU's are in stock around the web, though. Is there any reason why the EVGA's haven't sold out like every other brand, other than possibly they just had a larger back stock of them?

Also, how much of a difference is there realistically between a Gold and Platinum/Titanium certified unit?

Not sure. Before corona I feel like EVGA's high-end units were not competitively priced, so all the corsairs and seasonics went out of stock first. And also this year some of their models like the GD that used to only be sold in certain regions came to the US, so they probably shifted some shipments intended for south america or somewhere to the US.

The only thing the color of 80plus tells you is the power efficiency. It's not a seal of quality. However, it's a lot harder to make a highly efficient PSU, the components involved have enough of a minimum price that it's not worth totally cheaping out on the rest. This is why once you get to gold rated, it's kinda hard to find an actively awful psu. There's a range of quality but the floor is higher.

So from an end user standpoint a platinum unit will use a few % less power, that's it, this will never pay back the added cost in electric savings. But at that price you'll get a 10 year warranty and be pretty assured that the guts are very good.

Also you don't need an 850W PSU for a 3080.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 3, 2020

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Klyith posted:

Things will deff fit, because that case is a lot bigger than it looks. You see the pics and think about mini-itx shoebox cases with the same shape, but that thing is over 45½ L volume. That's well more than a full ATX Meshify C!

By comparison, a Cooler Master Q300L is only 33.5 L, or the tower-style thermaltake Versa H18 is 36.

It's an interesting case, but if you chose it for being small you might want to re-think because it ain't that. It's just short and wide.

Thanks for pointing this out! I had been looking at so many cases, I forgot to actually check the dimensions of the Core V21. It's actually bigger than my current case (Fractal Define Mini C), which I was trying to downsize from! I'll take a look at those other ones you recommended. I'm trying to find the smallest case that will still fit a mATX mobo and ATX power supply, so I can avoid the premium price on ITX/SFX. I think ~30L volume is ideal.

sim fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 3, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

sim posted:

the smallest case that will still fit a mATX mobo and ATX power supply
Check the depth of the ATX power supply. Some cases might fit a 140mm depth one comfortably, but you get into issues with ones 160mm or 180mm deep - also check if the space given in the specs includes the space for cables or just the brick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

KoB posted:

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth adapter? Ideally just usb or something but if those arent great lmk

I'm wondering the same thing

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Klyith posted:

A ryzen 3600 or 3700X on a B550 mobo. fake edit: with your budget, a 3700X.

edit: wait does the $1500 canukbucks also need to cover the eventual 3080? because that's gonna be tough, those are $700 USD so $900 CAD. If $1500 is your total budget I'd strongly consider a 3070 instead.

If you like the R5 I'd just stick with it. There are newer versions of the same thing with more current layouts (ie, psu shrouds, no 5.25" drives, and 140mm fan sizing) but unless you just feel like spending money or really want usb-c it's not worth upgrading.

Thanks. No, the initial cash is just to cover the "core" of the build, no idea when I'll be able to pickup a 3080 given the markets/supply.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KoB posted:

blue squares posted:

I'm wondering the same thing

I have an asus BT400, it works fine and uses standard windows generic bluetooth stack. Works with a DS4 controller, does APTx sound on headphones, has decent range once I put it on an extension cable and learned that USB bluetooth dongles hate being plugged into USB 3 jacks.

There are BT 5 adapters around now if you actually need bandwidth though.

midge posted:

Thanks. No, the initial cash is just to cover the "core" of the build, no idea when I'll be able to pickup a 3080 given the markets/supply.

Ok, more than enough then! Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($98.28 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($101.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $919.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 12:02 EDT-0400

leaves you with extra budget, so you could pick up a NVMe drive as well. Or grab 32gb of ram instead of 16.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 3, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

^^^ well that looks similar :haw: but I think I missed the better PSU value you picked somehow.

midge posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($101.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.93 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1050.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-03 11:57 EDT-0400

Since this is below your budget by a good amount, a few "sweeteners" you can consider:

1) Move up to a Noctua 140mm cooler, only risk is that if the 3080 you get is fat on the backside :butt: it might be a scary-tight fit unless you move to the gigantic (but offset away from the PCIe slots) D15S. You can use an AIO if you want but this is a 65W TDP part we're talking about here and big Noctua air coolers are already overkill (and probably quieter as well.)
2) You can spend more on the mobo if you want more slots/ports/etc., or more beef on paper in terms of VRM/PCB like the TUF X570-Plus. More expensive B550 boards have their pros/cons but they're sort of a lateral move vs. X570 depending on what you're doing. Spending much more than US$220 on a mobo is silly outside some edge cases.
3) Come to think of it you could just get a 3900X even, but I sort of wouldn't bother for gaming unless I was in full gently caress IT SPEND JUST TO SPEND mode. if it somehow turns out to be slow you can just buy a new Zen 3 in a few years and it will work on B550/X570 easily.
4) 32GB RAM because sure why not. 3200 CL16 isn't significantly different IRL than 3600 CL16 but would be in budget so do whatever there.
5) Faster SSD, gain is probably theorietical but you can move up to the SN750/SX8200 Pro/SK Gold P31 tier if you want. PCIe 4.0 SSDs are a waste IMO right now.
6) PSU you can always go bigger/fancier but there's no reason to. A 3700X system minus GPU is like 160W even if you OC (don't bother doing this IMO), the CPU is capped at like 90W total power draw, so even with a 320W video card you have lots of headroom regardless with 750W.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It'll be around Christmas before I order everything, but I'm looking at an NR200 build with a Ryzen 3700x and either an RTX3070 or 80. The 600W Corsair Platinum SF PSU should be more than enough to power that with a 3080 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got an EVGA G3 550W last year for my Ryzen 3600 upgrade, but now it looks like I'm going to need a new one already for a 3080! Would 650 work if that's what's available or would 750 make it comfortable? Is it still just the G3 or the Seasonic Focus? How's this CM? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cooler...p?skuId=6333805