Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
NXT was helped so much too by taping a month at a time to lock them into storylines and prevent the week-to-week last minute changes that plague raw and SmackDown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Envisioned posted:

NXT was helped so much too by taping a month at a time to lock them into storylines and prevent the week-to-week last minute changes that plague raw and SmackDown

Taping 4 weeks at a time also meant that you’d only see someone wrestle once a month. It would be refreshing to see someone in action when you haven’t seen them in a month.

Why the gently caress do I want to see Kayden Carter do nothing every single week?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://www.twitch.tv/stylesclash/clip/TastyPoliteGoldfishRickroll

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but AJ Styles was one of the talent who tested positive for COVID-19 a month ago

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DogsInSpace! posted:

In your defence I’m fairly sure time and space distort when it comes to watching WWE. Years from now scientists will discuss the phenomenon as akin to a black hole except far more suction. And it never ends.

They tried to get one of the NJPW time distorters but got one that worked in reverse instead.

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/stylesclash/clip/TastyPoliteGoldfishRickroll

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but AJ Styles was one of the talent who tested positive for COVID-19 a month ago

Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why am I not surprised in the slightest?

Seriously. I hadn't thought about it, but I'd probably have been surprised if he WASN'T one of the people who tested positive.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kvantum posted:

This is on TV, not including Takeovers.

Ah that makes sense

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I bet he still doesn't believe COVID is real

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

of course he believes it's real, he's all about trying to flatten the curve.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Abroham Lincoln posted:

:brexit:

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Oh gently caress

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

When Miz showed up sick, (which is an arsehole move even not in pandemic times), was he sick with COVID-19, or just with a cold?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

:perfect:

I hope some how, some way Daniel Bryan tweets that, or says it to him on tv.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

a good post

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CarlCX posted:

They never reconciled NXT as a brand you should care about with NXT's identity as a secondary league where your primary goal is to leave, and that has only become a progressively worse condition.
I think it's more than that.

See, the NXT goons love is helped by two things, maybe three if the taping thing is legit: You didn't have to do all the work to establish your stars, and people moved on so your stories could end. It was a feeder league and that was good for what goons like. They like recognizing stars from the indies and NJPW and they also like stories that begin and end. So the moment we entered this era NXT was hosed. They can't make stars, they definitely can't make babyfaces and they honestly can't train for poo poo either so there's never going to be that active flow that made the stories work. NXT cheated to be successful.

Assuming it ever was. Up until this era it was a huge money sink. HHH got addicted to putting on a show that people liked but I don't think it was accomplishing any meaningful goals.

But I agree with you beyond that, adding on additionally NXT now feels less like the development league and more like scraps Vince doesn't care about. It went from feeling B-tier to Z-tier. Not only does it not feel like your time in NXT matters, it feels like stars he's done with can be shoved back down. So why watch the show?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

haha

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thunder Rosa told Fightful that WWE were only interested in using her as a referee

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Thunder Rosa told Fightful that WWE were only interested in using her as a referee

Lmao. WWE just put a call out for female referees or non wrestlers.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wonder how someone like Rusev feels to get fired "because of COVID-19" and then watch as WWE specifically hires two people named in #SpeakingOut

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wonder how someone like Rusev feels to get fired "because of COVID-19" and then watch as WWE specifically hires two people named in #SpeakingOut

"boy i sure do love having sex with my wife lana and streaming video games on twitch all day instead of working for an insane billionaire"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dave Meltzer on house shows posted:

What I heard was that WWE was thinking about cutting everything way back — even when things go back to normal, cutting way, way back on live shows. I don’t know if they’ll eliminate them completely. I don’t know if they’ll totally eliminate house shows, but the idea I think of four days a week doing house shows for maybe forever at least for WWE and AEW will never do that schedule anyway. I think it’s a different world it’s gonna be… you know the Japanese groups may do it, but I think it’ll be a big event business and not a rank and file house show business going forward.

Dave Meltzer on NXT posted:

I know that a couple of months ago there was a meeting with Vince to discuss this very issue, and at the meeting I mean it was like ‘move to another day we’ll have better viewership and a bigger audience.’ On that day it was shut down for all the obvious reasons that, you know, what was it put on TV in the first place for?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Touring the country and doing shows you don’t televise is insane in the modern world, even without Covid. It’s based on an era of wrestling where people can’t get the show if they’re not watching it live. It’s where wrestlers have all these injuries and contributes to bad relationships because they get to see their kids twice a week max.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Golden Bee posted:

Touring the country and doing shows you don’t televise is insane in the modern world, even without Covid. It’s based on an era of wrestling where people can’t get the show if they’re not watching it live. It’s where wrestlers have all these injuries and contributes to bad relationships because they get to see their kids twice a week max.

It's not crazy if you can make money at it and WWE was making money at it just 18 months ago. From buying up all the talent they can they could even fill out house show cards while giving wrestlers 3 months off house shows per year!

Works in every country but this one too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a weird situation. Honestly it would be cooler if they pursued smaller venues for house shows. Whenever they would come to Dallas it was always at the American Airlines Center. Nothing wrong with that for live shows and PPVs, but they really should have explored smaller venues while touring. Keep ticket prices cheap, give fans a more initimate and close up show, and you never know what kinds of fans you can create that way.

It just seems stupid to force larger venues for not nearly as big of a crowd, even when they didnt have competition.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If NXT was on TV to succeed it would have taken over the Smackdown slot. There’s literally no justification otherwise. I know I’m preaching to the choir but NXT could have held onto at the very least 1 million out of Smackdown’s 1.8 million viewership, if not more, if it was a straight up time slot replacement

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The coolest WWE show I went to was an NXT house show at a large (5000 capacity) club. I got tickets in the balcony overhanging the ring, and there was a big ringside standing room only section.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Rarity posted:

lol jesus. its not like wwe needs to hoover up more top women in wrestling but way to ensure a potential star will never ever want to work for you.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I had kayfabe killed because of a WWF house show. The main event for the show was Sgt. Slaughter w/Sensational Sherri vs Ultimate Warrior in a steel cage for the WWF World Title. The finish of the match is Slaughter is almost out of cage but Warrior has him by what little hair he had left. Sherri runs in and nails Warrior with her loaded purse causing Warrior to drop Slaughter and lose the match. Slaughter runs to the back and Sherri is still in the cage with a pissed off Warrior so to send the crowd home happy Warrior rips off Sherri's dress and humiliates her.

Anyway year or two later I get to rent one of the WWF Coliseum Home Videos. The big featured bout is Ultimate Warrior vs Macho King in a steel cage match. Which you guessed it is basically spot for spot the same match as the one from the house show I went to. I was already on the fence about how real WWF was after they had edited out the boos from Hogan costing Sid Justice the '92 Rumble but that video was the final straw.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The thing that suck about no house shows is that going to Raw or Smackdown is painful to sit through.

I decided never to do it again after going to Raw in Chicago and there was 45 minutes in the 3rd hour where the only in ring action was 2 minutes of a match that ended in a DQ. Everyone was sitting there bored out of their mind, and had to sit through loving Seth Rollins rehab videos and packages of that Rollins/Triple H match because neither of them was there. And I was like .... never again am I doing this. You buy the ticket with nothing advertised until the day of, and it's just disappointment.

Thankfully, Chicago gets PPVs regularly, we we were lucky enough to get 2 AEW PPVs and a Dynamite before COVID happened. But if you live in some small market, you're just never going to get to see a good wrestling show live. If you're on a budget, you'll never get cheap floor seats or ringside tickets for a live event.

Now that all said, gently caress it, kill off the house shows because it's still not worth it for the wrestlers health and wellbeing for what they are paid. They should honestly just go back to how it was in the 90's and tape two weeks of shows back to back. Raw on Mon/Tues, NXT on Wed/Thur, SD on Fri/Sat. Everyone gets 12 days off between shows

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hahaha going to Raw live sounds like absolute torture

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I haven’t been to a WWE show in over 10 years. They were supposed to come here back in April but that got cancelled. I might have gone just because it really is my only opportunity to see guys like Cesaro or Bryan live.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Some of my favorite live sports events growing up were Raw/SmackDown tapings, but that was in the late 90s/early aughts and couldn’t imagine sitting through the current product in an arena. I could see how a PPV/Takeover would still be an enjoyable live experience now though.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Most recent WWE show I went to was the first Brooklyn Takeover in 2015 and I'm fine with that being the last time I see anything from them in person.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Most recent WWE show I went to was the first Brooklyn Takeover in 2015 and I'm fine with that being the last time I see anything from them in person.

Mine was Over The Limit 2010, and, uh, same.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Mine was Over The Limit 2010, and, uh, same.

wow that is uhhh quite a card

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was at the 2014 Royal Rumble, the one Batista won while everybody booed. At the time it was one of the worst experiences of my life. Tickets were like $65 for okay-ish seats and I just remember being so pissed off at the end that it felt like I threw all that money away. That was my last WWE live event, and it looks like Pittsburgh hosted amazing PPV matches such as:

Rusev beating Big Cass by countout
Kevin Owens retaining his title via DQ against Roman Reigns
Carmella beating Asuka while James Ellsworth was in a shark cage
Ziggler vs Rollins in a 30 minute Iron Man match

So I think I made the right decision.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I went to a Smackdown in 2004, which was pretty bad but the dark main had Rey, Eddie, Taker, Batista, JBL, and Angle all in a tag match (i forget the arrangement), then I've been to like 3 house shows since. I like house shows more. Less downtime.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
The only wwe show I ever went to was when I was 5 or 6 in the very early 90s and I got to see a Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels match. The only thing I remember about it was that Bret won and I was very happy. I'm sure the rest of the card was terrible because I remember nothing else about it.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Heh. My final two WWE shows were Judgment Day 2001 and the following day’s RAW. I have no complaints.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The wrestlers really like doing house shows. That's when they can have fun.

Which as well know is what they're here for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I was at Wrestlemania 25, 28, and 32. 25 was above average, 28 was a gamechanger (even with some poo poo matches, i remember the show fondly), and 32 I took a poo poo during the HHH/Roman main event and it was the 2nd best part of the night aside from Zack Ryder winning.

Was at the fabled Hell in the Cell PPV where Dean Ambrose died to a hologram of a little girl, I think.

So that's....1 and a half out of 4 major shows that were turds. And all of em were before the times we're living in now, where those angles from those shows would be welcomed at this point.

More house shows, less PPVs, let wrestlers goof off when they're not on camera