Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh poo poo, it was a raccoon and not a bird! I feel like I just recovered a suppressed memory like Alan Alda in the last episode of MASH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The one where he locked his babysitter out of the house and his parents telling him why it was a dangerously stupid idea was sad/terrifying because you get the sense they were really worried.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ambitious Spider posted:

My aunt had a copy of a for better or worse book that was all the strips about the dog Farley from when he was a puppy til when he died saving the little kid from a river.

It was pretty traumatic. Not futurama sad but kind of messed up for a newspaper comic

I remember telling one of my parents that the dog died and they were all, "No way. The newspapers would never print that." and didn't just look for themselves because they were a big jerk.

The dog should have said this: :fireman:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Oh poo poo, it was a raccoon and not a bird! I feel like I just recovered a suppressed memory like Alan Alda in the last episode of MASH.

There was also a single Sunday comic in which they find a dead bird and think about life and death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Sometimes you gotta jump the shark

Recess was a great show that for some reason I think would hold up better than other shows from that era.

It's on Disney+. It holds up really well. They're missing a couple seasons though.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's on Disney+. It holds up really well. They're missing a couple seasons though.

It was also one of those shows with tons of jokes just for the parents so they don't gouge out their eyes when their kids force them to watch.

Like when the gang makes a Trojan horse to get inside a fort, one of the kids guarding says, "Hey, didn't someone say beware of gifts from geeks?"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dreadwind posted:

It was also one of those shows with tons of jokes just for the parents so they don't gouge out their eyes when their kids force them to watch.

Like when the gang makes a Trojan horse to get inside a fort, one of the kids guarding says, "Hey, didn't someone say beware of gifts from geeks?"

If that qualifies as an adult joke then Ducktales is graduate level comedy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean an adult joke is a joke an adult will understand, it doesn’t need to be high comedy

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were both good for those, too.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Yeah I'm not talking about jokes having to be dirty or for galaxy brain adults. I just distinctly remember the difference between kids shows where some dude is talking at half speed playing "find the clearly visible object on the screen", and shows where the parents are laughing harder than the kids.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Finger Prince?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CPColin posted:

I remember telling one of my parents that the dog died and they were all, "No way. The newspapers would never print that." and didn't just look for themselves because they were a big jerk.

The dog should have said this: :fireman:

I believe FooB pussied out of killing off the dog, after Schulz said 'you kill off the dog and I will kill off Snoopy the same week just to upstage you'

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tunicate posted:

I believe FooB pussied out of killing off the dog, after Schulz said 'you kill off the dog and I will kill off Snoopy the same week just to upstage you'

Nope. Farley died permanently, and Schulz only said that as a somewhat derisive joke about all the attention Foob was getting over it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Nope. Farley died permanently, and Schulz only said that as a somewhat derisive joke about all the attention Foob was getting over it.

And then foob famously tried to upstage funky winkerbean killing the main character’s wife by having the grandfather appear to die on the same day or a day before or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm confused who is Foob?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
come to comic strip megathread we have so many sights to show you :unsmigghh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Google tells me it's the same as FBOFW so now I'm even more confused

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I'm confused who is Foob?

Derisive nickname for the comic For Better or For Worse, which has a goon hateread "fandom" because the author is a genuinely horrible person.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember watching Rugrats with a bunch of my adult family in the room and the whole adult group cracking up at something I didn't understand. I wish I could remember what the joke was.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I remember watching Rugrats with a bunch of my adult family in the room and the whole adult group cracking up at something I didn't understand. I wish I could remember what the joke was.

One of my favorite Rugrats references I appreciate as an adult and parent far more than as a kid is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdBrF5qaww

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Google tells me it's the same as FBOFW so now I'm even more confused

I think people call it Foob because of exactly why I brought it up in this thread: the author used 'foob' as fake Teen Slang.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Yep, it's even being posted right now because it's in reruns. The completely fictional kid just got born, so it's a... time to jump in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, someone pointed out to the author that the dog in FOOB was of a breed that would be at the end of its lifespan at that point in the comic, so the author considered having him die of old age, but decided to have him die heroically instead.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

And then foob famously tried to upstage funky winkerbean killing the main character’s wife by having the grandfather appear to die on the same day or a day before or something.

That comic didn't run down under, so I only know it as being the one that devolved into being entirely about cancer and apparently occasionally incest.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

(Stu and his brother are at mini golf)
- What do you say we make it interesting? 5 bucks a hole?
- Shame on you, Drew! Gambling is a bad, BAD thing! (away from the kids) Make it 10

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Winty posted:

(Stu and his brother are at mini golf)
- What do you say we make it interesting? 5 bucks a hole?
- Shame on you, Drew! Gambling is a bad, BAD thing! (away from the kids) Make it 10

After seeing the storyboard some of the animators passed around, I'm sure glad that was the punchline they went with

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite thing with made-up swears was Recess poking fun at the idea - in one episode the adults hear TJ using the word "Whomps" and get all offended at language, campaigning to get it banned. After a long drawn out mess, the judge finally hears the word himself because everyones been pussyfooting around it, and laughs his rear end off at how stupid the hearing is.

Prickly: "I don't get it, what's so funny?"
Judge: "Hahaha, It's a FUNNY WORD! And completely innocent, anyone who reads anything dirty into it probably has a dirty mind themselves. Motion denied. Good day."
Prickly: "Sigh... this whomps..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Recess also has an episode about some trading cards or something becoming a de facto currency on the playground, and it ends with CJ becoming a tycoon to the point of monopoly, where he owns everything on the playground and there's nowhere left for the kids to play while he has 90% of said currency and schemes to get the rest, until his old friends decide to forcibly redistribute his fortune. Pretty on the nose metaphor for capitalism.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pretty crazy how so many shows had an episode that involved:
- Character becomes wealthy
- Wealth goes to Character's head and they become a jackass
- Character becomes increasingly alienated from all of their friends and progressively more miserable
- Character loses wealth, friends return and happiness is restored.

Guess it really isn't all that crazy now that I've typed it out, it's a reliable well to draw from.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the box was the best recess episode

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dreadwind posted:

I feel like I've heard this about literally every children's show that isn't strictly for preschoolers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

Pretty crazy how so many shows had an episode that involved:
- Character becomes wealthy
- Wealth goes to Character's head and they become a jackass
- Character becomes increasingly alienated from all of their friends and progressively more miserable
- Character loses wealth, friends return and happiness is restored.

Guess it really isn't all that crazy now that I've typed it out, it's a reliable well to draw from.

Apart from the last bit, that's exactly how it works in real life.

Hell, Notch's story is pretty much ripped from a TV show, right down to the "silly" thing that made him a billionaire, the fancy mansion and the fact that he sits alone in it miserable. Only thing that wouldn't be shown on TV is the racism.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I feel like I've heard this about literally every children's show that isn't strictly for preschoolers.

I dunno, I definitely think today's children's shows are far more sofisticated than they ever were. At the very least you can apparently no longer get away with actively insulting the audience's intelligence like this:

https://youtu.be/x5-JVvCrGC8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Kim Possible has an episode based around the X game guest starring such celebrities as BMXer Ryan Nyquist and Skateboarder Bob Burnquist. They also ended an episode once with a smash mouth concert, had a villain whose entire conceit was based around a Beanie Babies parody and most egregiously an episode I just watched (Naked Genius Season 2 Episode 1 features Wade using the word: "Japanimation"

Having the teen slang just be words the writers made up because they realized using actual words would date the show within a year was inspired though.

Not as inspired as you think. I saw Akira referred to as Japanimation when it was basically 100% of all anime available in the West.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno, I definitely think today's children's shows are far more sofisticated than they ever were. At the very least you can apparently no longer get away with actively insulting the audience's intelligence like this:

https://youtu.be/x5-JVvCrGC8

I'm nearly 30 and that's from before I was born

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm nearly 30 and that's from before I was born

That's my point. In the 60s the paradigm was "Cheap crap to entertain dumb kids". In the 80s it was "Dumb crap to sell toys". These days with stuff like Gumball, Steven Universe, even MLP and Teen Titans Go you have stuff with actual nuance and effort.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

That's my point. In the 60s the paradigm was "Cheap crap to entertain dumb kids". In the 80s it was "Dumb crap to sell toys". These days with stuff like Gumball, Steven Universe, even MLP and Teen Titans Go you have stuff with actual nuance and effort.

Nowadays it's pretty obvious all the kids who got blown away by anime growing up and actually learned to draw and write got into animation and are doing their damndest to make these kiddy cartoons like they should have been.

late 90s and 00s cartoons had clumsy and obvious anime references, 10s cartoons have them woven in.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Rugrats was an ugly-looking show but it definitely had some good jokes that went over my head that I didn't catch until I saw some reruns when I was a little older.

The one that stuck in my head is all the adults stuck in a room watching someone's vacation slideshow and one of the grandpas makes a phone call and you can hear him say "Hello, Kevorkian."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Didi's parents from the old country were also a pretty bold choice for a kids show. I learned much more about Judaism from those episodes than from any of my Jewish family members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rugrat's greatest hero was the actor playing the lead in Reptar on ice. He kept kayfabe long after most actors would have broken character.