Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Count me in for Shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Nice prompt! I'm in for this one.

Also just head's up I'll be studying for the CCNA and working on personal projects for a while so I'll probably be limiting myself to every third AD or so for a bit. I'll do my best to keep the front page up to date regardless though (I'll update it with the new prompt tonight).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'll join the shark feeding frenzy.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Oh hell yes! I'm all in for sharks!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

I decided to use this opportunity to practice animating pixel art, (both things I'm just starting to play with.) I'm really happy with the results!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lifeless eyes, black eyes...like a 8 bit doll’s eyes.

Now I want to do a pixel shark too.

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty
I am super in for sharks!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Awhaaaaaat? There's one week left until the deadline? Don't forget to get your submissions in before next Saturday!

Liking the pixel offering so far! More in-depth critique will follow after a winner is announced.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I can hear that big guy's oddly high pitched voice in my head.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shark!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid the wereshark was my favorite creature in the AD&D Monster Manual. This is the first edition one which just looks absolutely ridiculous. Like, what does this do that a shark already doesn't do? How is this thing any worse than an actual shark you might encounter?

Later versions had legs and swords and could chase you on land, but the first one is still the best.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I love this.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you for the entries! There were several other people that signed up but haven't delivered yet, so I am extending the deadline slightly until Monday, 23:59 PST. Get your shark together folks

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'll see if I can get something in tonight but this weekend has been kind of a crapshoot for me so no promises.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

When I was a kid the wereshark was my favorite creature in the AD&D Monster Manual. This is the first edition one which just looks absolutely ridiculous. Like, what does this do that a shark already doesn't do? How is this thing any worse than an actual shark you might encounter?

Later versions had legs and swords and could chase you on land, but the first one is still the best.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one obsessed with the wereshark! My biggest regret as a dm was never including it in an adventure. I love your transformation gif!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Right, this contest is over! Critiques will follow in the order of submission, with the winner announced at the end.

First, we have Johnny-on-the-Spot's offering of a vicious pixel shark.

This is a clean and simple piece, as is suitable for pixel art. It's a nice, dynamic pose of the creature with a clear and recognizable silhouette. Cudos for moving the whole tail and not just the tail fin. However I feel the pectoral fins look a bit stiff, some mild movement there would have really given the shark some more life.

I especially like the detail of the eye rollin' over white as the shark bites. The spectator's eye is naturally drawn to the bright red gums and the gnarly teeth contrasted against them, making the beast appear extra threatening.

It's nice to see that you use dithering sparingly, as it tends to be overused by pixel artists. You also demonstrate good artistic sense by going from bright blue to turquoise-green to grey for your background gradient instead of just three shades of the same blue.

Overall, this was a fine piece.

Next, Angrymog graces us with this fluid, bloody scene.

First off, using watercolors for this prompt was brilliant. It really feels like we're watching a scene underwater, and the background has a lovely flow to it. As your canvas is bigger than the other two entries, the scene looks a bit empty. I would have liked to see maybe some seaweeds or other water creatures in the picture to provide some more excitement, but that's just a personal thing.

You've struck a good action pose for the shark, with it's whole body bent. The darker splashes around the tailfin add a nice suggestion of movement. I also love how the blood looks, but would have liked to see a trace of what the shark was eating. As is, the red could be interpreted to be just the color of the shark's mouth, instead of what I think you intended as blood.

The design of the shark, the teeth and the spatter of blood reminds me a bit of Ralph Steadman's work, it has real character to it!

One final criticism is that the shark quite blends into the background, maybe some highlights here and there would have helped it pop a bit more, even if it's by no means invisible as-is.

This piece has a great mood to it.

Finally, Krispy Wafer out of nowhere with a AD&D throwback.

There is a lot to like here. You've used the animated medium to tell us a complete story with terror, transformation and humor. I felt sorry for the poor fellow who not only had to endure the horror of transforming into a beast, but also facing certain death from suffocation.

It's an interesting choice of scenario for a shark; I didn't think anyone would depict the subject in a sympathetic, helpless state, but you did a great job!

The shark itself is well depicted, and you've managed to get a lot of emotion out of the eyes and mouth using only a few pixels for each.

A strong submission, I don't really have anything negative to say about it.

Thank you all for your sharks. And the winner is...

Angrymog! I know I gave you probably the most criticism but overall I think you delivered the best-looking piece. It was by no means an easy call though and you should all be proud of your sharks.

If anyone still has a shark to share, please do, but you have forfeited the glory of winning.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thank you; will have my next prompt up hopefully tomorrow.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Thank you for the complimentary and insightful critique NAG! I'll keep what you said in mind for future works.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Great submissions. I'm glad people liked my wereshark and I'm also glad I didn't win because that was a very sloppy and rushed pixel art job on my part. Johnny-on-the-spot did it better.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I did ponder getting you to make me birthday cards as my birthday was last week, but decided that that would be a bit Narcisistic.

Instead, I would like people to create their take on a Tarot card (or if you're feeling ambitious a three card spread). There are many different themed tarot decks designs out there, and whilst I don't ascribe them any mystic significance, I do like looking at them. Your card can be a Majour or Minor arcana, you can use a card from the traditional decks or a modern variant such as the Silicon Valley Tarot.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m in.

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Oooh that's a great idea, I'm in.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Angrymog posted:

I did ponder getting you to make me birthday cards as my birthday was last week, but decided that that would be a bit Narcisistic.

Instead, I would like people to create their take on a Tarot card (or if you're feeling ambitious a three card spread). There are many different themed tarot decks designs out there, and whilst I don't ascribe them any mystic significance, I do like looking at them. Your card can be a Majour or Minor arcana, you can use a card from the traditional decks or a modern variant such as the Silicon Valley Tarot.

This is pretty cool. Hmm. I think I will try to make some time for this. However I am starting a mural soon... hmmmm....

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I'll do this

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

yep, I'll do it

Saucy_Rodent
Oct 24, 2018

by Pragmatica
My fiance is joining. She will be posting from this account.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in, and I guess I'll :toxx: since I totally failed the last time I said that.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Looking forward to seeing a few cards from the Artdome Tarot :)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Signing up for the tarot cards

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
It's a busy month for me so I'm dropping my piece in. The original is in ink but I am, in 2020, teaching myself the basics of putting my ink art into the computer.

The prompt said we could do a three card spread, but in 2020 the only card that's coming up is the ten of swords :smith:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Here are some Goon Tarot cards I made for a GBS thread; I will link thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

My favorite

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

One more
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879430
Here's the thread, I like "THE MODERATOR" towards bottom of page 1 but it's nsfw

Spinz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 13, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to need to bail on this one. I just can’t focus long enough to create anything this week.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Spinz - you need to do a new thing specifically for this thread, sorry.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Angrymog posted:

Spinz - you need to do a new thing specifically for this thread, sorry.

I cannot right now and apologise.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You have 24 hours left to do Tarot, don't leave Sitting Here to face the uncomfortable feeling of a default win.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spinz posted:

I cannot right now and apologise.

those are rad, though, nice work

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Justice. Phone pic.