Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The plane making GBS threads gold all over the runway was a really on the nose visual metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

blunt posted:

Given the widespread audience reports of unintelligible dialogue, that's a failure of the film not the cinema, in the same way that an album that only sounded good on one speaker system would be a failure of the audio engineer not the speakers.

Yeah, I agree there, the mix should be geared for the majority of theaters instead of just a select few. Assuming that my speculation is correct, of course.

re: budget, the plane crash, tons of different locales, the highway heist and chase, the ending scene. And knowing Nolan wants to use real extras, vehicles and practical effects. It all adds up. The yacht probably wasn't exactly inexpensive either. In some interview Elizabeth Debicki mentioned that they used real boats.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Knowing what a perfectionist Nolan is, I find it probable that he knew this mix might be difficult for people to understand when it went out the door. I can kind of understand the logic of wanting to keep the audience on its heels and always feeling a couple of steps behind plot-wise and mechanics-wise, but I sure wish he'd found a less frustrating way to accomplish that. I mean it's not an Altman movie where people are just chit-chatting and the feel of the conversation is more important than the content- almost every line in this movie is exposition that's ostensibly for the audience's benefit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This movie just felt like Chris Nolan-isms dialed to 11, almost to the point of parody. Action design was mostly good, though I thought the big third act set piece was lame and uninteresting. By then the temporal gimmick has completely worn off and I also didn't much care for the characters at that point either. This was Nolan's weakest film imo, by far. It wasn't bad. But just, "ok" for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The guys running into battle backwards absolutely felt like parody. I honestly couldn't tell who was coming and who was going the whole time, despite some effort to establish who was who with the colored armbands.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Pattinson has Covid.
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/robert-pattinson-coronavirus-batman-1234758442/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess another thing I’ll clarify is that I’m sure every piece of the plot fits. I’m sure I can go back and watch two or three more times with the subtitles on and what’s happening in the opera cold open and what they’re trying to accomplish at the airport the first time and the whole chronology of the fight at the end will all eventually make sense if I put the work into it. However, this is the first of Nolan’s movies where the prospect of doing that work doesn’t really excite me or seem like a rewarding project, and it seems like that means something.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Bat virus stops bat movie production? Time for :catdrugs:.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ruffian Price posted:

That vehicle box-in scene looked like a massive money sink and they probably had to run the scenario multiple times. Knowing Nolan the CGI was minimal

For all of this movie's extreme Nolan-ness I'm shocked we didn't get any snarky commentary from the truck driver. What's the Estonian translation of "I didn't sign up for this!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The whole thing about you're annihilated if you touch your double is a real un-fired Chekhov's gun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

General Dog posted:

The whole thing about you're annihilated if you touch your double is a real un-fired Chekhov's gun.

100%. Giant rack of paintings? Paid off. This? Never.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Probably another late script addition to inject some stakes into the plot. Should have had more faith in the concept carrying the movie on its own, who cares if the hero is guaranteed to survive

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Saw it in a small town cinema. There were only four people in the theater including myself and who I went with. I didn't have the same problems with hearing dialogue, except for a scene where people were talking through glass. Very hopeful for this becoming a franchise.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Saw it in a small town cinema. There were only four people in the theater including myself and who I went with. I didn't have the same problems with hearing dialogue, except for a scene where people were talking through glass. Very hopeful for this becoming a franchise.

Aside from the obvious Batman trilogy I don't think franchises are a Nolan kinda thing.

Would be cool... Lots of stories to tell in this universe though.

Add one to the 'sound mix was terrible' crew

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Krime posted:

Aside from the obvious Batman trilogy I don't think franchises are a Nolan kinda thing.

Would be cool... Lots of stories to tell in this universe though.

Add one to the 'sound mix was terrible' crew

They're not are they? It's a real shame, imagine the stories you could tell in an inception universe where the magical, unrelenting creativity of dreams isn't instantiated within Times Square, a hotel lobby, and that level from Goldeneye. Everyone wears a suit.

:edit: this film I think is a lot better at giving a valid reason for making this another Nolan spy film than inception did. The subplot of inception (Betraying his wife) is honestly a lot more interesting that coporate espionage

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Oh dear, it's the Death Magnetic of movies
https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/1301803215617363969
e: He's just weeding out the weak in preparation for the Avatar re-release. :colbert:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 4, 2020

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

PG-13 SEX DUNGEON posted:

Isn't the whole talking through the glass part inverted and not really meant to be understood.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Isn't the whole talking through the glass part inverted and not really meant to be understood.

It's being translated, though due to the inversion the translation comes out before he actually speaks.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

You see, the problem with mixing an inverted movie is that when you turn down the volume, it becomes louder!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Heat transfer is reversed so in a warmer mix it's the high frequencies that are more pronounced

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The first part of the movie was okay at best.
My brain went on overdrive during the second and I had a hard time actually enjoying what I saw on screen.

The villain was just a cliche meme.

Overall it was pretty eh and I don't think a second watching can elevate it like Inception.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
This is only in theaters right now right? Even in the US where theaters aren't open for the most part? I want to see this but I don't really want to get infected just for a movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pairofdimes posted:

This is only in theaters right now right? Even in the US where theaters aren't open for the most part? I want to see this but I don't really want to get infected just for a movie.

Theaters in the US are largely open except for California and New York

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

General Dog posted:

Theaters in the US are largely open except for California and New York

Being in California that explains why I haven't seen any open theaters. I guess I'll wait for it to come out on VOD eventually.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

This already feels like it's going to be one of the movies I forget when I list off the stuff Nolan has done. It's like late-period Tim Burton in full pinstripes-and-spirals mode, leaning on the old hits like a crutch to significantly less effect than they had originally.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

pairofdimes posted:

I have a feeling it's going to bomb at the box office (the only people who are going will be people who believe corona is a hoax and hardcore Nolan fans) and they're going to bring it to VOD earlier. Granted, I live in a major city, so it may be different in non-populated areas. Never thought I'd feel envious of people who live in rural areas.

Those of you who went, what was it like to be back in theaters? Do they enforce masks?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

sethsez posted:

This already feels like it's going to be one of the movies I forget when I list off the stuff Nolan has done. It's like late-period Tim Burton in full pinstripes-and-spirals mode, leaning on the old hits like a crutch to significantly less effect than they had originally.

It's just a "WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF" strapped to a gigantic budget but also divorced from any requirements of consistent or logical storytelling, much less any stipulation that it be comprehensible or interesting. Or audible. Inception was the same, but managed to get closer to something worth watching.

This is a fantastic 10-20m short film stretched out into 2.5 hours.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bioshuffle posted:

Those of you who went, what was it like to be back in theaters? Do they enforce masks?
The seat reservation system had an additional ruleset so that any clumps reserved at once made the surrounding seats unselectable.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I liked it but I have no idea what the gently caress the plot was or basically anything because the audio mix is that bad. It's the worst mix he's done by far. Crazy set pieces though. Just make your Bond film and get it out of your system.

I rented a theater here in the US to watch it with a few friends and everybody spaced out because it's dirt cheap.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 5, 2020

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Maybe it's because the last thing I watched was Dark (which is several orders of magnitude more of a complicated metaphysical puzzle than this was) but not even the puzzle aspect of this could maintain my interest. I managed to call that JMT was fighting an inversion of himself and Pattison was from the future in the first pass through the airport scene just based on Pattison's 'oh i got rid of him' and how abrupt and awkward the cut away from that scene was. No surprises. The 3rd act was just a bunch of nonsense with hand-waved stakes and zero tension. Tall blondey was like a cartoon version of a mother, caring about nothing but her family-feelz and loving the whole mission about it except that at the last second I guess RUSSIABAD warmongering-propaganda-villain read the script or something??? I don't really care enough to even go browse the nerd youtubes about it. Every other character was just actors playing their own images of themselves. 'The Protagonist?' seriously?

The coolest bit was the 2nd act car chase scene once it started to run into it's ending coming back at it, but the instant that poo poo got resolved the movie was basically over for me. Not worth getting covid over in the slightest. Cinema is a terminal case if this is the best they've got.

The most interesting part was really that the overall villains ended up being future generations trying to unfuck the world we've given them. The ultimate boomer movie - directly killing the future so we can have a few more seconds of oil-fueled bliss.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 5, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The action was fun to watch, the plot was stupid and they forgot to do anything interesting with backwards time. Seconding all the complaints about horrible sound mixing.

I don't understand why Nolan insists on muddled dialogue audio in his movies. It ruined Dunkirk and it ruined this one. What's wrong with having clear dialogue tracks? Dialogue is the most important aspect of plot.

Frustrating.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
If you like the idea of time reversed stuff you need to read some Greg Egan.
Specifically his short story The Hundred Light-Year Diary, its in Axiomatic.

They find a time reversed star, so using a shutter and a series of mirrors to extend the light path you can send messages to the past.
Handled free will and feed-back better.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Also is it just me or did they just sort of ignore a bunch of plot set up in act 1? There was talk of preventing WW3, the inverted debris being shrapnel from a future war, etc. Instead the villainous plot turned out to be an old Russian nihilist who synced some time bombs to his Fitbit? I felt like the threat changed abruptly somewhere but I can't pinpoint where. There was an overabundance of misdirection in this movie and I guess it worked too well on me.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

smoobles posted:

Also is it just me or did they just sort of ignore a bunch of plot set up in act 1? There was talk of preventing WW3, the inverted debris being shrapnel from a future war, etc. Instead the villainous plot turned out to be an old Russian nihilist who synced some time bombs to his Fitbit? I felt like the threat changed abruptly somewhere but I can't pinpoint where. There was an overabundance of misdirection in this movie and I guess it worked too well on me.

No it makes sense what they assumed was debris from world war 3 was actually the leftovers from catastrophic climate change (probably with a few wars and skirmishes thrown in). The future organisation wanted to destroy the past in the very slight change it might erase it and thus “climate change never happened”. Neil at one point mentions obliquely that it’s a long shot by the future organisation and might not work, but presumably the world in the future is so bleak they think it’s a risk worth taking. The bullets and shrapnel and things were inversion tests, and some of them sent back to Russian nihilist man

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oh.. I missed everything about climate change because the dialogue was unintelligible in parts.

Also lol that they bought and crashed a real 747 for this movie. I wonder if this is the last gently caress-you budget movie we'll see in a while due to COVID.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 5, 2020

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
TENET is going to fall down the memory hole faster than any big budget production in modern history. It's a film with a storytelling device that would have been better served in a 12 minute digital short to promote a new car or something stupid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

TENET is going to fall down the memory hole faster than any big budget production in modern history.

That’s a pretty bold statement in a world with stuff like Mortal Engines, King Kong 2005, and Ben Hur 2016, and Legend of Tarzan.

Tenet will have a healthy take industry surrounding it for the coming weeks/months and a full-on re-evaluation cycle a few years later. It’s not good, but that’s incidental to the amount of conversation about it.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 5, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If I wrote Tenet the scene where Protagonist goes backwards would be half the movie, and would include a hilarious slapstick scene where he has to fit in at a dinner party by pretending to move forwards to not arouse suspicion, by talking backwards, spitting water into his drinking glass etc.

Edit: I'm not ashamed to admit I still watch the back half of Kong Kong 05 sometimes. The Trex fight is lit.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

smoobles posted:

If I wrote Tenet the scene where Protagonist goes backwards would be half the movie, and would include a hilarious slapstick scene where he has to fit in at a dinner party by pretending to move forwards to not arouse suspicion, by talking backwards, spitting water into his drinking glass etc.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Watched it, did not really enjoy it that much. I had subtitles, so the dialogue wasn't really an issue, but everything was uncomfortably loud to an extent that my audiologist GF was pretty concerned.

I honestly found the movie perfectly enjoyable until they actually started doing the time-travel themselves by going into the machines, at which point it just became a bit of a mess both visually and narratively. I think the battle scenes at the end were particularly egregious, it doesn't really feel like there is any stakes when it is impossible to tell who they're fighting against. Some cool visual effects, though.

The characterizations were pretty bad. Washington and Pattinson have very little personality, Debecki is a woman whose sole motivation is her role as a mother, while Branagh is the most generic evil russian imaginable. All the actors are competent, but the script doesn't really make you care about any of the characters.