Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Infinity Train season 3 spoilers

https://i.imgur.com/IC6bjDd.mp4
This show has so much detail and forethought.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Click for source, and the reverse outfit swap.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Senerio posted:

Click for source, and the reverse outfit swap.

I was expecting Luz as Catra and Amity as She-ra when you said reverse

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
🐸"Anne, What's a disk?!"

🙇🏽"How should I know? I'm from another dimension, not the 90s!"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

:same:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I binged Amphibia on this thread's recommendation. Between that, Another Eden, and Animal Crossing, I have been getting through quarantine by surrounding myself with as many cartoon frogs as I can get my hands on.

It's extremely good, but they missed an obvious opportunity to call the one where they go to college "Sprig Man On Campus."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

I do love the obvious conclusion that the only way to make Catra more of a disaster is to give her the ability to set things on fire.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Local cat accidentally sets everything on fire.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

woo!

been waiting a while for this, but i finally got to one of my favorite episodes in all of Avatar: The Boiling Rock. aside from the finale, it's also my favorite episode(s) in all of season 3.

before i list off the stuff that i like about it, allow me to complain about the premise ever so briefly. so the idea of committing a prison break to rescue sokka and katara's dad (along with suki) is a pretty kickass concept. but what always bugged me about it, even when it first came out, was how it started. one of the many things i liked about TLA was that although it's a kids show, it didn't really talk down to its audience. but the problem with the boiling rock is that, this all starts because sokka, who feels guilty about having his dad captured, decides to leave the crew on his own, in a spur of the moment decision to rescue his dad without any plan whatsoever. and then on top of that, when he and zuko leave, they tell the rest of the crew they would be gone for a few days. really? a few days? it's a matter of absolute luck that things managed to work out as conveniently as they did. one misstep, and they would have been screwed, and the rest of the crew would be totally unaware of what happened. like, it's not like sokka and zuko were hanging out one day and found themselves in a situation they couldn't avoid. this was a premeditated scheme. if something went wrong, they would have lost almost half their entire crew.

what i'm saying is that this whole plan sounds like something a child would have come up with, and that's not cool.

okay, so ALL THAT BEING SAID...

...this episode still rocks hard (no pun intended). as i've stated, the idea of a prison break is pretty cool idea. we get some absolutely great scenes between sokka and zuko, as they got a pretty great rapport. and it's pretty great to see how their relationship develop, as sokka being one of the most skeptical of zuko turning over a new leaf, comes to really respect and trust him. really, any scene with zuko's pretty great, including when he meets up with suki and awkwardly apologizes for burning down her village.

i'm personally a big fan of episodes that have a lot of characters included, and this one has a ton (sokka, zuko, suki, hakoda, azula, mai, tai lee, the warden, chit tsang (sp?) ). and there are a lot of moving parts, and there are some really good interactions.the scene with zuko and mai was pretty touching, and seeing azula betrayed by her two closest friends was a cool twist to end the episode. the episode also ends with an awesome (albeit sadly short) battle on the gondola.

it had pretty much everything i wanted in an episode. definitely good stuff

edit: a little under the weather so apologies for the ramble-y/not well structured post

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 3, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Boiling Rock the one with Zuko's single greatest line?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yes.

And I just love how appropriate a reaction that is to getting something that heavy dropped out of nowhere.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It also has, "No, you miscalculated! You should have feared me more!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

yup. another reason why this episode rules

also, fun fact that i literally just learned: the dude who played the warden, wade williams, played the warden in the show, prison break. that HAS to have been intentional casting. it just has to!

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Late to the party on this, but I just finished the third season of Infinity Train and it stinks that there won’t be any more. It seems like they really hit a sweet spot in working out how to expand the world and develop a future season from a current one. An Amelia season would have been very interesting.

We finished the third season of Infinity Train last night. Grace’s arc was well-earned and fun to watch. Amelia would be cool, but I’d love to see more of Grace when she’s trying to not suck. Have people talked about what the mirror crane she saw in the final episode could mean?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Prairie Bus posted:

Have people talked about what the mirror crane she saw in the final episode could mean?

Just a guess, but off the top of my head... This whole season has been about empathy, the ability to interact with someone different than you and find common ground. Grace learning to care for Hazel, then continuing to care about her after finding out she's different. Grace finding out she actually appreciated Tuba, too late. Grace realizing she's at least partially responsible for how hosed up Simon is, and trying to save him, even as he tries to kill her. The season opens with Jesse's empathy song, with the line 'When I look at you, I see me'. So when Grace wakes up, sees the carnage Simon has wrought, and decides to fix it, she literally sees herself in the [reflecting mirror] crane.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 3, 2020

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Bobulus posted:

Just a guess, but off the top of my head... This whole season has been about empathy, the ability to interact with someone different than you and find common ground. Grace learning to care for Hazel, then continuing to care about her after finding out she's different. Grace finding out she actually appreciated Tuba, too late. Grace realizing she's at least partially responsible for how hosed up Simon is, and trying to save him, even as he tries to kill her. The season opens with Jesse's empathy song, with the line 'When I look at you, I see me'. So when Grace wakes up, sees the carnage Simon has wrought, and decides to fix it, she literally sees herself in the [reflecting mirror] crane.

That’s a great read, I really like it. I was stuck thinking about Lake and the reflection world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that Grace's arc was basically fighting for the souls of the children she herself led astray. It was interesting. I also like that each season, The Cat is more of a rounded person than the last as we learn more about her.

Also i'm totally caught up on Owl House and Amphibia, so that's fun. Is there any idea when season 2 of Owl House is going to start?

Thoughts on Amphibia so far: with the lore scraps we have, I'm thinking the Grubhog and the Factory may be in some way related to the Biggest Picture. If they turn out to be a threat, I'd expect Sasha to get over herself and reconnect with Anne and Marcy, which might drag Grime into (if not a full face turn), at least a "joining forces against a greater foe".
I have noticed that Grime seems to be becoming more understanding at least toward Sasha, initially his treatment of her leadership style was one of manipulation and insincerity, but he is being very real with Sasha and developing more of a bond with his remaining warriors. That's why part of me is hoping for some kind of breakthrough with him.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like that each season, The Cat is more of a rounded person than the last as we learn more about her.

Bear boyfriend was my favorite little character from the season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Prairie Bus posted:

Bear boyfriend was my favorite little character from the season.

Frank!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm hoping for with The Owl House is that if/when we see King's full power, it's not so overwhelming as to require him losing it again soon after, it almost always happens like that, either they turn against the protagonists going mad with power, or they end up big enough that it would break the status quo too much for them to keep it. With how he's becoming a better version of himself, I could see him at full power becoming more of a guardian type entity rather than a despot because he's clearly forming stronger bonds with humans and witches than he's ever had before. Like if it went like Cerberus in Cardcaptor Sakura who changed to a more potent form but still kept the dynamic in check, I'd be fine with that. Like maybe if the fox thing is more the body, he ends up about the size of Kyubimon, or if he stays bipedal maybe no more than a bit taller than the average human, but with relative physical strength in a Peter Parker/Raiden kind of gangly-but-powerful way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I hope that King at his full power still pales in strength to Hooty, like everyone else does.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's mostly that I'd like a fight scene with all the protagonists working together, so him being strong enough to be effective in such a dynamic or at least having neat utility powers related to summoning other demons that could be applied to other things could be neat. Heck, maybe something happens to Luz Eda and Lillith to put them in danger and king runs to get Amity and the others to bail the mains out, and they're riding him like a steed because he's a large enough fox for that to work.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By definition all royals are tyrants.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I thought King was already at his full power after retrieving the crown, and that was the joke.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Thoughts on Amphibia so far:

Well, Grimes is headed to Newtopia to kill Marcy's surrogate family, so that should some kinda drama right there.

I don't really know what the king's deal is though. There was that one sinister-seeming scene at the end of an episode. Maybe Hop-Pop will turn out to be justified in hiding the box. And they declared Grimes an outlaw, but I'm not sure what the particular reason for that was. If it's because they heard tell of revolts in the Valley, maybe that revolution that sees Hop-Pop as a figurehead will spread make Hop-Pop an enemy of the crown as well.

And what about the robot?!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I know I’m late on this, but I just got to episode 5 of the new season of Infinity Train and god drat I was not expecting this level of brutality. It’s a really interesting choice to have characters with such psychological complexity who are fully real and feeling characters but are irredeemably bad—or one, anyway. It’s probably spurred some interesting and deep conversation between parents and kids watching together.
So I just finished going through all of Infinity Train and I have to second this. I was gutted with everything that happened with Hazel/Tuba to almost the point of feeling that it was exploitative. Chalk some of that up to the young voice actress being extremely convincing at panic/crying voice. Multiple episodes had me in real tears.

I love the small bits of extra lore that were added in season 3, but I might actually recommend that people only watch seasons 1 & 2. The emotional heartache (combined with not having a fully wrapped-up ending) is almost not worth it to me.

Season 2 had such a positive ending that I could just leave the show right there and be happy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was really upsetting for Tuba to be played 100% straight as a person coping with very ordinary trauma and trying to see the positive with just a regular-person voice and no jokes or hints of the fantastical other than using the horns on her back a single time. It just underscores the senselessness of her death that she's in the middle of her own journey that has nothing to do with her murderers and she doesn't have a clue what they're about or why they're killing her. I agree that the season was about 20-30% too brutal. I felt sick even watching the origami birds get smashed.

I do like the idea of the show dramatizing situations where a character can still be growing morally but gently caress up so badly that they can't fix things and just have to move forward with that knowledge, as when Hazel abandons Grace and tells her she ruined all her chances and that Grace no longer cares for her.

If there were more, I imagine that we'd see Hazel again and get more of a traditional story where she helps Amelia reconnect with her humanity and forgive herself a little, or we would at least see hints of that if it was another season where they just dip in for a bit. I don't think they'd return to Grace as a main character because they're pretty dedicated to the anthology format and have resisted the temptation to bring back any of the other former main characters, which must be considerable given how much work they put into them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Some parts in the middle of IT s3 that made me a bit queasy in how mean it got was when Simon got back from killing Tuba. Any normal show, he’d make up an excuse like “Tuba got away” or “I tried to save her” and you’d feel sad, but Hazel would be protected from the truth. The fact that he came back and proudly said “I wheeled that null,” and Hazel loving lost it... Jesus Christ. He just killed the kid’s foster mother, who herself had lost children and was emotionally scarred. And then on top of that, Hazel had to continue traveling with the sick gently caress and pretend everything was fine.

I think it got a bit too real, it was practically like watching a violent abusive household.

I was hoping for some magic ending like season 2 where One-One or Amelia could fix stuff through programming the train in a certain way. Like, boom, Tuba and her kids are revived. Something about resetting them from cloud data or whatever.

EDIT: Ok, one more thing, and it’s a positive. I think it was super clever that Grace wears those shoplifting tags as accessories. Very cool.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 4, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It makes sense for Simon to be so direct though, because his attitude is that he's saving Hazel and doesn't understand that Tuba is a person or that Hazel cares about Tuba as a person. Given how he talks about and reacts to the cat, though, he might understand at some level and just be in denial about it.

One pointless thing I get stuck on is whether the mirror world exists independently of the train and just sucks mirror people into it through that one car, or whether the mirror world and the people in it are created by the car as happens in all the other cars. I guess there's no way to be sure because Lake and the mirror police could have been created complete with a lifetime of memories that make them think they've been alive the whole time, but something about how the mirror police persist and continue to use mirrors for transport and Tulip's reflection still being gone after she gets back make me wonder if the mirror world is just its own whole other hosed-up thing apart from the train. It's silly because the lore isn't really the most interesting part of the show, but also I am drawn to the idea that the train is just one aspect of the show's universe and that it's full of these bizarre unknown corners that the human characters don't otherwise know about.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno if it’s just me “figuring it out” or if I’m way off, but anyone feel like the idea we’re building up to something like:

Infinity Train series lore theory spoiler:
It’s the post-apocalypse and humanity is dead because it went bad somehow (war, possibly) and an AI-driven train uses advanced time-travel technology to pluck “bad” humans from the past to fix their moral compass and save the future.

Aside from that, even without a literal sci-fi reveal, the train also has a religious overtones like being a symbolic purgatory where you work off your sins after being judged.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 4, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I admit that I am kind of drawn to the idea that while people ending up better off and able to return to some version of life on Earth is a consequence of the operation of the train, it still seems like the train as designed is a little too indifferent to human life for that to be the whole purpose of the train. It's not a benevolent train, exactly.

Like, it's not like Amelia hosed up a perfectly sensible system for helping people: it's very easy to die on the train, and it doesn't return people in a way that prioritizes their well-being, as time seems to pass while they're away and they potentially have to adapt to a very rough situation if they make it out, having to convince loved ones they didn't abandon them and then reintegrate themselves into a world that may have moved on without them years ago. For a kid, it would be a huge problem to disappear halfway through seventh grade and then suddenly reappear--that would be traumatic in and of itself, and the community wouldn't forget. Like, there doesn't seem to be a great safety check on people, as Tulip not having a reflection could cause lots of problems not just for her, but for everyone in the mirror world (if it exists apart from the train), to say nothing of her parents having her committed or something.

It does seem like it's built with humans in mind somehow though, as the conductor's main task is setting people up to work their own way out and all of its parts seem to have people in mind, like those delivery pods and the cronenberg brain tape room. Maybe it's something where the train only appears to people who are about to die, so in a cosmic moral sense there's nothing at risk because they were going to die anyway, like how there are laws that let terminally ill people take experimental medication.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if it’s just me “figuring it out” or if I’m way off, but anyone feel like the idea we’re building up to something like:

Infinity Train series lore theory spoiler:
It’s the post-apocalypse and humanity is dead because it went bad somehow (war, possibly) and an AI-driven train uses advanced time-travel technology to pluck “bad” humans from the past to fix their moral compass and save the future.

Aside from that, even without a literal sci-fi reveal, the train also has a religious overtones like being a symbolic purgatory where you work off your sins after being judged.

There are a lot of dangerous parts of the train other than gohms and (S01 spoiler) Amelia as the False Conductor, such as the Canyon of the Golden Winged Snakes Car and most of the Train Documentaries cars, but I've considered the same thing

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

what is this line, i dont particularly remember Zuko saying anything that great

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

I'm guessing either "I'm never happy" or "Take a bite out of the silver sandwich"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3BFyYpa2Vg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hey I'm makin pancakes, you kids got any allergies?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Scott Menville does a lot of bit parts on Avatar, and every time, it's hey, there's Robin!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PhazonLink posted:

It's more like a certain exchange between Zuko and Sokka.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Still love that slightly too long pause where you can tell he’s trying to think of an appropriate response :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Finished episode 19 of Owl House today, and I gotta say, I love this series so much.