Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Are all the gripes about the controls from m&kb players? I play on pc with my old 360 controller and it's perfect. These sort of games have always been controller games for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm on a controller and I don't mind the controls; they definitely do have a learning curve, and you are absolutely going to shoot some people by accident when you meant to just talk to them, but by doing that, you're going to quickly learn how to not do that, you just have to roll with it and it'll click eventually.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zesty posted:

Cheaters are extremely common.

A caveat here, cheaters are only common PC. I'm nearly level 300 playing RDO on Xbox and I've literally never encountered anything remotely suspect.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes, cheaters are extremely common on PC.

Today was a fun day of trying to get a single daily done and get the banded alligator photographed/skinned.

Log in. Told the game to go straight to camp. I'm in the middle of nowhere instead. Easiest daily is distanced traveled. About 15k units of whatever measurement it uses. Start riding my horse vaguely heading towards Harriet. 5 minutes later, I check out my progress. Notice I'm one of 2 players in the player list for the whole session. I'm currently 3/15,000 units of distance traveled. Game crashes 5 seconds later.

Reset game in case it's a cheater breaking the client, as they do. Log in. One of 3 people in the entire session. Ride straight to harriet. She's not there. Her camp is there, the NPC is not. Look around, not a single animal or NPC in the entire loving game.

Reset game. One of six people in the session. Harriet is there. Manage to get my gator mission. You're not allowed to take your camera out if you're anywhere close to the legendary target. Have to play the stupid game of running as far away as possible for no reason, even though the alligator isn't hostile yet, until it lets me take out the camera. RUN back because you can't use it on a horse. Whatever. Picture taken. 10 rolling block sniper rifle hits to the face later, it dies. Skin it. Turn it in to Gus. Get the distance traveled daily. Took way longer than it should have and the game had to be restarted twice.

Online is just fundamentally broken and frustrating all the time.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 1, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Other than the recent post-patch madness that they resolved I've had a good experience with RDO on PC. Very little connection frustration.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I like westerns so red dead is one of my favorite games. The controls are wonky at first but I play on PS4 and got used to it. By wonky I mean hold button for almost everything you want to do. Step forward to a chest whoops that was too far gotta circle my guy around so the open chest prompt comes back. poo poo like that. Animations for everything. But you do get used to it. It's a slower game. Literally. And just like any rockstar game you're along for the ride not the other way around. But in gunfights things can happen fast. They were going for realism and I think they nailed it. Eat drink. Fish and hunt. Leave animal carcasses on your horse for too long they spoil. Get skinny get fat. Grow huge beards. Clean guns. Make fun of people. Pet dogs. Cheat at poker. The map and the world is the best I've played in. Storms are insane especially with headphones. I've 100% completed it. Mainly because I didn't mind wandering around. Not to mention the characters are great. The story is predictable but what western isn't? In online play if you like grinding or just screwing around it's fine. I'm too the point where I'm waiting for new stuff to come out again. Basically doing moonshine runs and trader deliveries and spending money on outfits and emotes at this point. I don't think you can compare the Witcher and red dead. Apples and oranges. I love both games. Hundreds of hours in both. But if you're coming off the Witcher 3 and blast right into red dead you might be thrown off a bit.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The idea that Red Dead's SP isn't worth the price of a regular AAA game blows my mind :)

That said, it is a single player game. The online pales by comparison (though there's real potential, if RS could ever get to grips with it).

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Cheat at poker.

Wait. What? You can try and cheat?!

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah in story mode you get options to cheat.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

I like westerns so red dead is one of my favorite games. The controls are wonky at first but I play on PS4 and got used to it. By wonky I mean hold button for almost everything you want to do. Step forward to a chest whoops that was too far gotta circle my guy around so the open chest prompt comes back. poo poo like that. Animations for everything. But you do get used to it. It's a slower game. Literally. And just like any rockstar game you're along for the ride not the other way around. But in gunfights things can happen fast. They were going for realism and I think they nailed it. Eat drink. Fish and hunt. Leave animal carcasses on your horse for too long they spoil. Get skinny get fat. Grow huge beards. Clean guns. Make fun of people. Pet dogs. Cheat at poker. The map and the world is the best I've played in. Storms are insane especially with headphones. I've 100% completed it. Mainly because I didn't mind wandering around. Not to mention the characters are great. The story is predictable but what western isn't? In online play if you like grinding or just screwing around it's fine. I'm too the point where I'm waiting for new stuff to come out again. Basically doing moonshine runs and trader deliveries and spending money on outfits and emotes at this point. I don't think you can compare the Witcher and red dead. Apples and oranges. I love both games. Hundreds of hours in both. But if you're coming off the Witcher 3 and blast right into red dead you might be thrown off a bit.

:agreed:

The only thing I'd add is in regards to the story being predictable. The ending is somewhat predictable but something I didn't expect is how I felt when I was approaching the end. Arthur just kept getting sicker and sicker, and the gang was rapidly becoming much less cohesive. John was clearly on his way out and toward the end of the game I just had this terrible drive to get to the conclusion so it could be over. Not out of any sense of that I wasn't engaged, but that I absolutely was and I just wanted to do what I could to help Charles, Sadie, John and Abigail. That and so I could put a bullet in that rat bastard.

Apart from the story I genuinely really enjoy that everything is slow. Everything has an animation. I feel like most people just want everything faster and louder, but RDR2 intentionally makes you slow down. I can understand why some people resist it, but I found it just perfect.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

fennesz posted:

:agreed:

The only thing I'd add is in regards to the story being predictable. The ending is somewhat predictable but something I didn't expect is how I felt when I was approaching the end. Arthur just kept getting sicker and sicker, and the gang was rapidly becoming much less cohesive. John was clearly on his way out and toward the end of the game I just had this terrible drive to get to the conclusion so it could be over. Not out of any sense of that I wasn't engaged, but that I absolutely was and I just wanted to do what I could to help Charles, Sadie, John and Abigail. That and so I could put a bullet in that rat bastard.

Apart from the story I genuinely really enjoy that everything is slow. Everything has an animation. I feel like most people just want everything faster and louder, but RDR2 intentionally makes you slow down. I can understand why some people resist it, but I found it just perfect.

Have to admit the tuberculosis surprised the hell outta me.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think the story is going for any twist, especially since the existence of Red Dead Redemption 1 already kinda shows the direction things are heading.The story is really about slowly coming to terms with death and your legacy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Legitimately, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the culmination of all Rockstar games and generally one of the greatest games ever created. And I'm sad because I don't think we'll ever get anything like it ever again.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oberst posted:

1 easy trick to make RDO fun: play on ps4 lmao

This guy gets it :hmmyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just realized the trader job is basically just being an Age of Empires villager.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Was there a patch over the past few days? My PC game keeps freezing on the startup loading bar. Validated files, updated graphics drivers, no dice. Played fine over the weekend.

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

N17R4M posted:

Was there a patch over the past few days? My PC game keeps freezing on the startup loading bar. Validated files, updated graphics drivers, no dice. Played fine over the weekend.

Not sure about the PC but no new patches on the PS4 recently.

There’s a current rumor of a Halloween patch coming soon with Ghost Animals based on code found by PC players in the last few days, maybe there was an update on the server side.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
Man, the animals spawns in online are pretty insane now.

I was just wandering around with my metal detector, ran into an ambush, and TWO cougars joined in the mayhem. Then after I cleaned that up, a little ways down the road I found a grizzly and another cougar. I'm seeing them in areas I've never seen them spawn before, too.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
There's also rumors of purchasable properties based on poking around in datafiles, but if they can't keep minor things like animal spawns running right, I dunno that I'd expect Red Dead Refurb'n'Flip any time soon.

So, go 24 hours without killing any animals. Sounds like an awesome time to go find the Milk Coyote and Snow Buck, right? :suicide:

Tracked/photo'd/sampled, though, and my Carcano thirsts for new hoodies tonight... except hockey, so I'll probably just do a single daily.

Anyone got a reliable spawn area for the Hereford Bull? Angus and Devon, I'm usually finding north of Rhodes at Hill Haven, but I don't think I've ever seen the Hereford.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ygolonac posted:

There's also rumors of purchasable properties based on poking around in datafiles, but if they can't keep minor things like animal spawns running right, I dunno that I'd expect Red Dead Refurb'n'Flip any time soon.

:tinfoil: I suspect that R* took so long to fix animal spawns because they were making sure they could get camps, properties, animals and random events working with larger lobbies. They know GTAO and potentially RDO is just printing money if they keep pushing new content.

I'm cautiously optimistic that in a month or two once the new legendary animal tap runs dry we'll get another new role or chunk of content. Maybe it'll even be properties. I just want to buy one of the random little shacks in New Austin, so many of those are just perfect for my ornery hermit ways.

edit: a few words

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 4, 2020

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Property would be nice if you can do things with it, but I don't think it'll be the RDO equivalent of the Hearthstone DLC for Skyrim, or even the settlement stuff of FO4. (Except for getting random attacks to fend off/repair the results of.)

Gimme a fast-travel post at my shine shack, instead. (It's in that skoshie little building on the south side of the Macfarlane plateau, and the nearest fast-travels are Macfarlane and Armadillo, both equally inconvenient.

Hell, add in income from the bar, with supply and maintenance costs/missions, and optional gambling tables. Make that shack worth going to for more than shine runs and dailies.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 3, 2020

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I need some bank and train robberies. No doubt in my mind they'll be in eventually but drat. Also more stable slots.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
yeah I'm really hoping the properties let you start some type of bank hesit like in gta because if not what's the point?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Ygolonac posted:

Anyone got a reliable spawn area for the Hereford Bull? Angus and Devon, I'm usually finding north of Rhodes at Hill Haven, but I don't think I've ever seen the Hereford.

click to embiggen

This farm here on the map will take care of all your bull needs. There's a corral with mostly cracker cows, one ox and a donkey in it but there's always at least one type of bull as well, and most of the time there's two. If it's not the bull you want, fire a few shots to scatter the herd, go in the front door of the house and out the back, or in the barn and go to the back wall and back out and it will spawn new animals.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. I stacked ten of each in that location in one evening. Once in a while I had to try the house or barn a couple of times to get the animal respawn but leaving the area for a little while helps reset it if the respawn trick stops.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

winter.mute posted:

click to embiggen

This farm here on the map will take care of all your bull needs. There's a corral with mostly cracker cows, one ox and a donkey in it but there's always at least one type of bull as well, and most of the time there's two. If it's not the bull you want, fire a few shots to scatter the herd, go in the front door of the house and out the back, or in the barn and go to the back wall and back out and it will spawn new animals.

Rinse and repeat as necessary. I stacked ten of each in that location in one evening. Once in a while I had to try the house or barn a couple of times to get the animal respawn but leaving the area for a little while helps reset it if the respawn trick stops.

Bitchen. Maxed out every other farm critter except the three bulls, and I don't think I ever ID'd a Hereford even in SP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Are all the gripes about the controls from m&kb players? I play on pc with my old 360 controller and it's perfect. These sort of games have always been controller games for me.
It becomes a bit more noticeable the longer you play. I don't find the controls as bad or unbearable as some people, but there's a noticeable cludginess to it all. Just things that could've been done better.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
This was posted in the thread earlier, but if you are looking for specific animals, especially legendary, this is the best way to find them.

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDOMap/

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

zooted heh posted:

yeah I'm really hoping the properties let you start some type of bank hesit like in gta because if not what's the point?

That's my guess, when they add properties they'll be tied to a heist and have the planning room or whatever.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It really sucks that people on PC RDO have to be cheating shitlords, doing random rambles with friends is super fun normally.
FYI: Accidentally shooting a random dude is how a lot of crazy fun shenanigans tend to kick off imo.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
No matter, any weather, we’re together.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Bullapalooza update: there's only been two bulls once, the very first time I went looking there. Bulls aren't a guaranteed spawn/respawn - one or two donkeys and cows are always there, with bulls or oxen common. In'n'out of the house, or in to the back of the barn and out don't cause a respawn - back room of the house or upstairs and wait a little bit will respawn, though. Got multiple Herefords and Angus, though, but no Devons.

Still, better than rolling Emerald Ranch all session.

Also had another Tatanka spawn just outside of camp (has been sitting right near the dreamcatcher tree SW of Emerald), and a Teca as I was out slaughtering gators for teef.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Picked this up on PC for the long weekend to play RDO with a friend, having had played RDO on PS4 consistently since launch.

Tho I started RDO on PC and...I don't recognize any of this from when I started on PS4. I made a push to get Cripps and Trading set up first thing only to find...I have to pay 15 gold to unlock Trading? Maybe that was free as a pre-order perk when I played 2 years ago or something?

Anyway, question now is what's the recommendation to getting the most productive Posse-ups with friends if we don't have any of the Professions yet? We wanted to play a few sessions over the weekend.

We're mostly playing for the cowboy vibes so don't much mind the grinding I suppose, but would be nice to make sure we're putting energy towards at least gaining some money / gold in the early stages.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Fixed my freeze on launch issue. Was DX12 being a muppet or something, and had to add a line to the steam startup to override it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

GeorgieMordor posted:

Picked this up on PC for the long weekend to play RDO with a friend, having had played RDO on PS4 consistently since launch.

Tho I started RDO on PC and...I don't recognize any of this from when I started on PS4. I made a push to get Cripps and Trading set up first thing only to find...I have to pay 15 gold to unlock Trading? Maybe that was free as a pre-order perk when I played 2 years ago or something?

Anyway, question now is what's the recommendation to getting the most productive Posse-ups with friends if we don't have any of the Professions yet? We wanted to play a few sessions over the weekend.

We're mostly playing for the cowboy vibes so don't much mind the grinding I suppose, but would be nice to make sure we're putting energy towards at least gaining some money / gold in the early stages.

Is your account linked to Twitch/Twitch Prime? I want to say back in the day there were a lot of deals for free or discounted role unlocks if your profile was linked to your Twitch Prime. Apart from that I'm not aware of anything that gave it a discount, other than maybe one of the rolling offers Rockstar updates weekly on their in-game Benefits page.

I can't speak to playing with other people because I play on Xbox and everyone else I know exclusively plays PC.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

I would just grind challenges and stranger missions until you get the bounty hunter role. Also don't forget every five levels you get a treasure map. I think that's the only way to earn gold.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

It's kinda lol that a lot of the RDO videos I've seen lately have boiled down to "Hey, these solo/low population servers everyone seems to be getting are... nice?? I'm enjoying the game more/again?"

Like hell yeah pardner it's a real nice time :coffeepal:

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Having more random poo poo happen is nice. I'm convinced rockstar is in the process of setting a sweet spot for number of players per lobby to random encounters/spawn rates.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
This probably sounds dumb, but do you have to actually skin the legendary animals and sell the pelt itself to Gus for crafting?

I killed the maza cougar or whatever it was and hauled the whole carcass to him and sold it without skinning it (since I do that in singleplayer and it gives you whatever you need for crafting at the trapper regardless), but there doesn't appear to be anything special I can craft (the 'garment sets' button itself is grayed out and I can't even look to see what sets there are, I'm assuming because this was the first legendary I killed instead of trying to drug and sample, and the hats and stuff in one of the other menus need perfect non-legendary pelts, nothing specifically mentions the maza cougar).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
According to Reddit, only selling the actual pelt counts for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks!

I didn't even think twice about selling the thing whole. Oh well. At least it was one I just stumbled onto randomly and not one I'd been looking for or had spent time specifically trying to hunt down. Next time, dumb cat! :argh: