Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Bhaal posted:

I tried but never got the hang of CK2, but this time around is going way better and I'm really enjoying things.

Newbie question: What's the guiding wisdom when finding spouses for your daughters?

I thought I'd try to find lesser houses that I could strongarm into a matrilineal wedding so I could grow my dynasty, but those are tough to arrange so I haven't had a lot of success with it. I married my oldest daughter to a prince of a slightly larger kingdom just far enough away that we should have a prosperous alliance. They got hitched and after some years she's now the queen of a stronger nation and popping out potential claimants to my land (I think... I haven't fully figured out the rules and caveats of claims and inheritance). So I'm not sure if I just made more problems for myself.

I guess just in general, what sort of goals or considerations do you take in for marrying daughters when you're in a typical male-preference realm?

Matrilineal marriage is desirable because it leaves you with another branch of your dynasty, but usually it's reserved for men who have no chance of taking a title (Until you help them stab their way into power)

It can be used to secure an alliance with a nearby and/or stronger power that can help you out. I've noticed that these alliances tend to be assist you more than in CK2, too.

Finally, a marriage can be useful in getting someone close to a rival to either help improve their relationship with you, or if you plan a plot against them, it makes success more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
So playing the Ireland tutorial island, I definitely made the mistake of switching to tanistry succession, not realizing it's not a replacement for a full elective succession.

I only have two sons at the moment, the eldest has a son. My youngest son has the genius trait so I want him to succeed. What's the best way to ensure all my titles go to one son? Should I disinherit the oldest son or will I need to switch back to confederate succession?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I do like that this game accurately simulates what happens when a strong leader who hasn't really planned out succession very well just dies.

Absolute chaos that is.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
When I got down to daughter 6+ and was generally fed up with alliances I started betrothing them to random high prowess folk who'd accept a matrilineal marriage and would make good champions on arrival. I exclaimed things like "What an absolute unit! Hey, little Mariam, meet your fiance!" when I found a Giant, which I imagine is what every 12 year old princess wants to hear.

I guess if you want to go full Habsburgian Bene Gesserit you could look for smart, beautiful and robust people too.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I was really trying to live forever. :negative:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I married my daughter to an albino man, and then she had affair with a different albino man. Now she's dead and has left me with 4 albino children. I think I'm going to cousin-marry them around so I can get more albino people in my family.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
So, are there any good and, well, normal youtube playthroughs started yet? No costumes, memes, stream interruptions, audience interjections, webcam mugging, gimmicks or extreme exploits; just some nerd playing the videogame with mild character roleplaying and competence? Y'know, for boring old people.

Lambert's Harald Fairhair run is so far the only tolerable one I've seen, and he's barely gotten started (several times).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It appears I've run into a classic medieval problem: my eldest daughter is far more capable than my idiot failson who is heir due to the patriarchy. The piety cost to reform that out of my religion is hefty.

Strategy question: I have an amazing army and could easily landgrab much of northern Russia, but my marshal already has his hands full building control in the lands I've already conquered. Should I war anyway? Or stabilize the realm first?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Personally, I want to see a CK3 world conquest with a count.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I keep conquering the wrong duchy because I'm not used to the UI. :negative:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

It appears I've run into a classic medieval problem: my eldest daughter is far more capable than my idiot failson who is heir due to the patriarchy. The piety cost to reform that out of my religion is hefty.

Strategy question: I have an amazing army and could easily landgrab much of northern Russia, but my marshal already has his hands full building control in the lands I've already conquered. Should I war anyway? Or stabilize the realm first?
if you have enough to do it now and won't be taking on many new personal holdings there's not much need to wait. your vassals will centralize the holdings you give to them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ok, weirdest thing happened.

Early in the game I (Traendalog) swore feality to Sweden, because Bjorn Ironside was going on a rampage.
A couple generations later Gavelkind tore Sweden into two kingdoms, Sweden and Brittany. I was a vassal of Brittany at that point.
The king of Brittany lost all of his landed titles and I became independent some how. I'm looking at at save right now just a couple years back where I have no liege.
I took a dutchy from Denmark (Viken, De Jure Norway) and then Sweden became my liege again.

I don't understand how the last step happened.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Still progressing through my first tutorial game after not being able to get into CK2. One of the first things I did after doing the tutorial part besides trying to centralize Ireland was to invite claimants to my court. One of those that showed up was Eadgar of Wessex, a man with average stats, but a pressed claim on the English throne. So I decided to try to make my first run about pressing that man's claim and winning. I gave him some land and made him my steward so he doesn't run from my court.

Since then he's somehow been doing everything in his power to become the ultimate warrior. I didn't notice for awhile, but when I declared war on Leinster and looked through my knights I saw that due to traits and temporary modifiers he was sitting at ~37~ prowess. Since then we've run over much of Ireland, and in every battle he kills scores of men and almost always at least one opposing knight, and I've never seen him wounded. We became friends one night at a feast and a few days later he converted to our culture. His wife was imprisoned for adultery, but fortunately not before they had a (I think?) legitimate son.

The game right now is as much about Eadgar claiming his throne - or, failing that, at least his son doing so - as it is about my dynasty.

This damned game man.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's kinda strange that others can "expose" that you're having a love affair with one of your concubines. You even get the adulterer trait for it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Extremely pro strat if you're not a religion that is dominant in your region: Abduct kings and emperors and negotiate their release by forcing them to convert. Then you get people around you start converting stuff and making your faith stronger, and/or the realm in question starts getting real upset because of the religious divisions. Either way, very funny.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Man the "shy" trait loving sucks! My dumbass king's wife hates him, but he can't sway her or whatever because he's shy so he'll have a mental breakdown. He's also "just" so can't do any murder plots or anything either.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I asked this once already, but is there a way to filter the character finder for people open to coming to your court? when you press C, there isn’t a filter and the only way to see their opininion is by right clicking on each individual person. Really stupid, why get rid of the icon in their portrait from 2

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Extremely pro strat if you're not a religion that is dominant in your region: Abduct kings and emperors and negotiate their release by forcing them to convert. Then you get people around you start converting stuff and making your faith stronger, and/or the realm in question starts getting real upset because of the religious divisions. Either way, very funny.

bonus points for capturing emperors if you have natural primitivism

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

It's kinda strange that others can "expose" that you're having a love affair with one of your concubines. You even get the adulterer trait for it.

I guess the thing is that your concubines are supposed to be there just for prestige and additional children, if you're having an actual affair with them then that conflicts with the 'sanctity' of your marriage.

It is one of those things that's a religious norm (that you can nuke with a reform.) Same with things like bastards etc, if you reform a religion you can just wipe away bastardhood completely with a 'blood is blood' attitude.
It's one of those things that feels like a weird double standard on the side of the game, when it's more a double standard in your character's faith/belief system.

Also, I do appreciate how many enemies are just utter cowards.
Often you can break a siege by just landing an army large enough to be threatening nearby, and they'll scatter off, worried that you'll try to force them into a bloody, lossy battle.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
My steward, who is unmarried, was having an affair with my spymaster, who is unmarried. This apparently is a Secret that gives you a hook on them. I'm not sure why

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Glass of Milk posted:

My steward, who is unmarried, was having an affair with my spymaster, who is unmarried. This apparently is a Secret that gives you a hook on them. I'm not sure why

Fuckin' out of wedlock.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

sex outside of wedlock!! i think?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Glass of Milk posted:

Fornicatin'? That's a paddlin'.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Going full Gallant as vikings is hilarious. You can easily take on armies twice or triple your size. It basically turns your champions into supermen.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I was having a lot of fun up until I got stuck in a forever war where I'd clearly won with the attacker being at -100% warscore, but couldn't press my claim because "only the main participants may offer peace"

so they got to sit with -100% warscore for over a year until they rolled up with a doomstack and murdered me

Extremely cool and good

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

:allears:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sigh.
My ruler got the '1 year until I die' prompt. (One of the perks of one of the learning lifestyle trees.)
I managed to get the last county I needed to fulfill the '3 kingdoms + 80 counties & also Exalted Among Men' requirements for creating an Empire.
Ended up being ~200 gold short. I would have had enough if I hadn't invested in a castle before I noticed I almost had enough counties.

And the realm prompty shattered into 4 kingdoms on his death.

Ah well, just need to put my relatives in their place. :toot:
And on the plus side, having '4 kings' in my dynasty has smacked the progress up to 12 reknown/month.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Broken Cog posted:

Going full Gallant as vikings is hilarious. You can easily take on armies twice or triple your size. It basically turns your champions into supermen.

Early on, tribal armies with 10+ Blademaster Beserkers absolutely chews through levies. And as your men at arms are formed and maintained with prestige, you can make some early land grabs.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Man, I hosed up. I started a war to capture sacrifices to feed to Odin, but my dude is Just so his stress is going to go through the roof if I execute them. So I ransomed them, but I didn't realize that if you ransom prisoners planned for execution, you lose 100 piety per!!! There goes my plans for reforming the religion in Rurik's lifetime. I did get 100 gold off one of the ransoms though.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tetramin posted:

I asked this once already, but is there a way to filter the character finder for people open to coming to your court? when you press C, there isn’t a filter and the only way to see their opininion is by right clicking on each individual person. Really stupid, why get rid of the icon in their portrait from 2

I asked, too, and no, there isn't. The reason seems to be that there's basically no situation in which someone will be open to coming to your court but won't already be on your radar: you generally need a hook to get them to show up unless they decide to do so on their own.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Anno posted:

Still progressing through my first tutorial game after not being able to get into CK2. One of the first things I did after doing the tutorial part besides trying to centralize Ireland was to invite claimants to my court. One of those that showed up was Eadgar of Wessex, a man with average stats, but a pressed claim on the English throne. So I decided to try to make my first run about pressing that man's claim and winning. I gave him some land and made him my steward so he doesn't run from my court.

Since then he's somehow been doing everything in his power to become the ultimate warrior. I didn't notice for awhile, but when I declared war on Leinster and looked through my knights I saw that due to traits and temporary modifiers he was sitting at ~37~ prowess. Since then we've run over much of Ireland, and in every battle he kills scores of men and almost always at least one opposing knight, and I've never seen him wounded. We became friends one night at a feast and a few days later he converted to our culture. His wife was imprisoned for adultery, but fortunately not before they had a (I think?) legitimate son.

The game right now is as much about Eadgar claiming his throne - or, failing that, at least his son doing so - as it is about my dynasty.

This damned game man.

Now you get it. And you’re really gonna get it when you find out his son is loving your son and they both worship satan.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kodo posted:

So playing the Ireland tutorial island, I definitely made the mistake of switching to tanistry succession, not realizing it's not a replacement for a full elective succession.

I only have two sons at the moment, the eldest has a son. My youngest son has the genius trait so I want him to succeed. What's the best way to ensure all my titles go to one son? Should I disinherit the oldest son or will I need to switch back to confederate succession?

Get into a war, assign failson as a knight, hope he dies horribly on the frontlines.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
should i get this game? I've tried to get into Stellaris a couple of times but both times i've just felt completely overwhelmed as the game just kinda drops you in and doesn't really give you any goals or idea of what you're supposed to be doing. i always hear people talking about CK and the funny stuff that happens in it but if it's like Stellaris I dunno if it's for me.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So it turns out fecund + the tenant to make lustful a virtue + no bastards all kids inherit + making cheating on people just accepted = my bloodline having 1400 living members by 1123AD.

They are literally everywhere. I started in Africa. They have holdings in Tibet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s the point of founding a cadet branch?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

disaster pastor posted:

I asked, too, and no, there isn't. The reason seems to be that there's basically no situation in which someone will be open to coming to your court but won't already be on your radar: you generally need a hook to get them to show up unless they decide to do so on their own.

Oooh ok that makes sense. I haven’t made much use of hooks, or trying to manufacture them yet. Good to know thanks.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

prom candy posted:

should i get this game? I've tried to get into Stellaris a couple of times but both times i've just felt completely overwhelmed as the game just kinda drops you in and doesn't really give you any goals or idea of what you're supposed to be doing. i always hear people talking about CK and the funny stuff that happens in it but if it's like Stellaris I dunno if it's for me.

Try the game for free first if you are not sure. The game is really flat. And it's not some bug fix who will fix that.

It not worth 50$. There is 7H to 10 Hours of content right now. The rest is just a game than he is repetting himself. Eveything is locked behind wall to force you to play longer. But after 10 hours, you are pretty bored by the game.

Even Total War release are more complete than this. Some people says than PDX where lazy to excuse the fact than they want to sell you DLC. And if you look at the DLC prices at launch, you have a good idea of the final price of the full game. 50$ + 450$ of DLC in 4 years. That's not worth it.

I tested the game for free because imperator was bad (and it is always bad) but i'm already come back to CK2. For me, CK2 is less gray than CK3 and there is more color. Everything is fun in CK2, every characters is different and have a purpose to be played. In CK3, characters havent no real identity. You will fill disappointed quickly by their lack of personality. They all go in the same way mostly. They sleep do incest, they have concubine, they do child out of mariage. Your family don't know what jealous mean. Your realm don't know what bad reputation mean. (You can have a big hook exposed to the public and continue your life without worrying nothing).

I could talk a lot about the other features but it's mostly the same. And you have a bad UI who is not there to help you. There is also help window coming but it's not really explained correctly (mostly of the time, you will not understand what you need to do to fix your problem indicated by the helphing window)

I don't suggest to buy this game. Wait 3 years, maybe. A sale on PDX website to have everything for a little price. Try it yourself for free ! If you don't like it, then, forgive about it.

The only things good is the music. And i regret than they didn't take the avatar design of imperator. It was really cool !

(one of the like 2 or 3 people spamming the steam forum crying that the game is dumbed down for casuals)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I cannot open the family tree. It crashes the game now.

My family is too large.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Now you get it. And you’re really gonna get it when you find out his son is loving your son and they both worship satan.

I had a brother tonight that was in to sodomy, cannibalism, and was mad at me because I wouldn't put him on the council. So I poisoned him.

I think dad (which was me) picked the wrong guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So in a moment of extreme weakness in england I managed to hook the king into marrying his only daughter, who was his only child at all, into a patrilinear marriage to my heir as the king of ireland, killed the king and now she is still the queen of england despite the patrilinear marriage and I want to make it so eventually I have an heir that will claim both the kingdom of england and ireland when they eventually take the throne

I think that heir will be my grandson (who is actually my son since the queen of england is my lover) but I'm not entirely sure. How do I make sure I don't gently caress up this prime opportunity?