Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cloudiroth is just Zenos from FF14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

what’s the run down with weapon proficiency again? i think i skipped the pop-up on accident

they were all linked, or? do i benefit from getting 100% with every weapon? i guess i'm asking if there's any weapons worth not using

this game is great and i'm having fun. not entirely sure what i expected: but as a huge fan of Crisis Core, it feels very similar.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what’s the run down with weapon proficiency again? i think i skipped the pop-up on accident

they were all linked, or? do i benefit from getting 100% with every weapon? i guess i'm asking if there's any weapons worth not using

Master a weapon's proficiency and you gain permanent access to that weapon's ability regardless if you have the weapon equipped or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Right thanks. I was gonna skip the spiked bat but winding this thing up and getting the timing right is too fun

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If you are still in chapter 14 you can do the box mini game and spam the weapons abilities there you will get the proficiency really quickly. That chapter is really good because the enemies are easy and you can max all the current weapons very quickly.

I finally finished the game. Have to say it's one of my favorite jrpgs of all time now and I have played quite a few. It definitely has flaws with it's story later on but for 90% of the length the story is fine and very engaging/comprehensible. The ending pulls out all the worst storytelling tropes from movies/anime. That being said the gameplay is amazing, this is a JRPG with animation canceling, real time rolls/dodges, parry system, each character having a unique system to them. Then there is the materia, pairing materia's to find new broken combos is the cherry on top. I am excited to start it on hard tonight, I will probably go level up materia's then do all the chapters one by one. Music is great especially the newer tracks they added fit really well in the new areas. Also I had only played a few hours of the original so I had no expectations story wise.

Can't wait for part 2 in 2030.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oh, gently caress, I wish I'd known that, that said it's pretty easy to get Cloud's weapon prof. up.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Being a 90s kid that had FFVII pass me by at the time (n64 gang) I just got done playing the OG and the remake for the first time back to back and it was quite the experience. Had a great time with both of them and loved the remake loving with my expectations/pretty much everything about the remake story. Cannot wait for part 2.

The only downside is that I'm sad for my younger self for missing FFVII back in the day because I would have loving loved it (still did today tbh)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I only ever bought FF7 when I saw it for cheap at a car boot sale while visiting family on the other side of England so maybe I'd have never got into it otherwise!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

this game is hella spooky

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How do you do the Aerith solo vr challenge in Shinra HQ? Which part should I chapter select, is it after chapter 17 then just find an elevator to go back down? Also you have to complete the existing battles to get the secret hard battles?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ulio posted:

How do you do the Aerith solo vr challenge in Shinra HQ? Which part should I chapter select, is it after chapter 17 then just find an elevator to go back down? Also you have to complete the existing battles to get the secret hard battles?

Chapter 17. The VR sim is immediately after the first fight with the test subjects.

And yes you have to complete all fights including Corneo Colosseum ones

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ulio posted:

If you are still in chapter 14 you can do the box mini game and spam the weapons abilities there you will get the proficiency really quickly. That chapter is really good because the enemies are easy and you can max all the current weapons very quickly.

Just got here! Thanks for the heads up. Looks to be a long chapter

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Chapter 17. The VR sim is immediately after the first fight with the test subjects.

And yes you have to complete all fights including Corneo Colosseum ones

Ok thanks I have done everything except in my first run I never returned the shinra vr station after getting Aerith so just need to do her stuff to unlock the extra ones. Some of those hard ones look particularly tough. I might just come later after I have done most of the chapters on hard.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For anyone interested, Aerith's VA is about to do the final boss battles now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Briana breaking down when hearing Aerith delivering the final line in the game and seeing her credit... and then again when Aerith's theme came on during the credits

:unsmith:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not gonna lie, I teared up in my first playthrough when Aerith said she misses the steel sky.

That was so out of nowhere, it threw me off guard.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's not out of nowhere, in Crisis Core she reveals to Zack that she is afraid of the open sky because she has lived her entire life under the roof of the plate. It's more sad than anything, this woman has been trapped in the cage created by Shinra all her life to the point where she is more frightened of a world without the iron mantle than the invisible jail she's living in.

EDIT: I guess you could say that her leaving her comfortable lie is the Price of Freedom she had to pay makes u think dohohohohoho nomura u done it again!

Gologle fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 1, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gologle posted:

It's not out of nowhere, in Crisis Core
tbf that's still going to be out of nowhere to most people :v:

It's still a great line though since it makes sense on its own

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

It's not out of nowhere

Well it was for me

Sindai posted:

tbf that's still going to be out of nowhere to most people :v:

It's still a great line though since it makes sense on its own

Yeah it was pretty touching.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I finished this a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. The single most surprising thing is that tetsuya nomura, a man who has spent his entire career completely misunderstanding FF7 characters across all available types of media, directed this game. I've never liked anything else he's ever had a hand in, but somehow, some way they didn't gently caress this up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nomura was always good

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think for a while, Nomura got sucked into the fan interpretation of the characters. By the time AC rolled around, the entire cast had become legendary, and he went with the flanderized versions of the characters.

For VIIR, he and the rest of the team went back and paid attention to the original game. I think he said in an interview he watched LPs on YouTube for reference lmao

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also surprising were the post-release interviews for this game saying that he wanted a more subdued ending and was pretty much talked around into the really outrageous sequences in the final chapter

kingdom hearts still sucks!!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imagine that for a good while people were debating what happened at the end of original FFVII.

My god I am old.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nomura is good, Kingdom Hearts is good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Both these statements are true but god I wish Disney sucked less so Kingdom Hearts could be even better.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kingdom Hearts cannot truly be called 'good' until Darkwing Duck is in it

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 4, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kingdom Hearts can’t be good until it is a snes rpg that was released in 1993.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

spent his entire career completely misunderstanding FF7 characters across all available types of media

the short of it is that 1) characters have arcs and 2) it's not an artist's job to cater to your expectations

AC is meandering and strange but "it doesn't get the characters" has always been a stupid criticism

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Kingdom hearts?

More like

Kingdumb FARTS

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bleck posted:

the short of it is that 1) characters have arcs and 2) it's not an artist's job to cater to your expectations

AC is meandering and strange but "it doesn't get the characters" has always been a stupid criticism

Actually it's a good and valid criticism and AC is bad but hella pretty.

WaltherFeng posted:

Imagine that for a good while people were debating what happened at the end of original FFVII.

My god I am old.

People still debate the "intended" meaning of the og. Does humanity survive holy, or does the planet deem us a threat? Do we all die later?

It's great! And now we get to see that cycle happen again.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cross-postin' this:

Agents are GO! posted:

So I was digging through some old DVDs I burned like 15 years ago, and I finally found my copy of the Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children joke subtitles. Just watched about 20 minutes of it, and I still find them funny, in a early-2000s humor sort of way. Some of the lines in here have stuck with me for going on 20 years ("Please, God, let me hear everyone as bees") so I hope other people like them as much as I do.

Anyhow, here they are, if anybody else wanted to watch them. Just put on the original version of FF7AC (not the bluray) in MPC, probably set the language to Japanese, and then go to the subtitle menu and load these.

Edit: Just a quick edit to note that I didn't create these, I found them online back when FF7AC was new.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 4, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also made FF7AC joke subtitles but mine are really really bad.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Agents are GO! posted:

Cross-postin' this:

Oh my God I thought I'd never see these again! One of those sets (I forget which) is where I got my Av text (Red's only line in the entire movie).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Elentor posted:

I also made FF7AC joke subtitles but mine are really really bad.

I should be clear, I didn't make these, I found them online back when FF7AC was new.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bleck posted:

lol what the gently caress

who gets butthurt and defensive about advent children in 2020? good gracious.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Advent Children is really bad, and the only reason we got so hyped over it was because it was cool seeing Cloud in good-for-the-time CGI.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

it has a great soundtrack, especially the all time best and definitive version of One Winged Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m going to be controversial and say I’ve been disappointed with almost every version of OWA outside of the original. The orchestral versions somehow don’t pack as much punch by omitting the almost industrial beat of the in-game version.

(That said, yes the AC soundtrack kicks rear end.)