Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

StrixNebulosa posted:

This thread makes me smile. I love this place.

Amongst a whole heap of good things I've learned from this place, I'll point to Goons With Spoons' Bread Pudding recipe that I made for a local library function a few years back and everyone there told me that it was the best dish there by a long shot, which felt amazing.

Also obligatory shoutout to how this forum is basically the only one I can hang in to talk about video games without running into nazis or sexist bastards. I feel safe and welcome talking random video games with goons and I value that so so so much.

e: Also wow, SA has been huge for my online social skills. When I first joined up I was a huge lurker and every time I posted it was terrifying because I was afraid I'd get someone mad. And eventually I got over that, but this place got me through that.

I remain terrified of posting and I have been here for loving ages.

I am mainly posting to say that your avatar is rad as hell and it's a joy to see you post. Hooray for no nazi sexbastards. Well. Fewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Flint_Paper posted:

I am mainly posting to say that your avatar is rad as hell and it's a joy to see you post.

I have to second this. I smile every time I see your avatar, Strix. :)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
somebody on here anonymously sent me an Amazon gift cert back at the start of quarantine which bought me a hair clipper which literally saved me from getting gender dysphoria over my hair getting too long lol. whoever that was: thank you (i had enough left over to buy a book on Heian-era culture for myself and a scratch pad for my cat, it was very kind)

i'm a very low-tier poster but i've really enjoyed my time here. learned a lot, read a lot of funny and/or interesting things, joined a couple discords then immediately quit out of social anxiety. thanks, goons

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Flint_Paper posted:

I remain terrified of posting and I have been here for loving ages.

I am mainly posting to say that your avatar is rad as hell and it's a joy to see you post. Hooray for no nazi sexbastards. Well. Fewer.

It's taken therapy and time to get used to posting here, as well as lots of instances of me posting and then not getting probed/yelled at/etc for it. Keep at it, your avatar is real cute too!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I have to second this. I smile every time I see your avatar, Strix. :)

Cheat at Baba once, win forever, god I love this avatar. PS Don't ever look up a solution for a puzzle game.

InediblePenguin posted:

somebody on here anonymously sent me an Amazon gift cert back at the start of quarantine which bought me a hair clipper which literally saved me from getting gender dysphoria over my hair getting too long lol. whoever that was: thank you (i had enough left over to buy a book on Heian-era culture for myself and a scratch pad for my cat, it was very kind)

i'm a very low-tier poster but i've really enjoyed my time here. learned a lot, read a lot of funny and/or interesting things, joined a couple discords then immediately quit out of social anxiety. thanks, goons

"low-tier poster" who cares keep posting, your rapsheet is relatively clean meaning you don't poo poo up threads therefore you're a good one keep at it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's taken therapy and time to get used to posting here, as well as lots of instances of me posting and then not getting probed/yelled at/etc for it. Keep at it, your avatar is real cute too!

Cheat at Baba once, win forever, god I love this avatar. PS Don't ever look up a solution for a puzzle game.

"low-tier poster" who cares keep posting, your rapsheet is relatively clean meaning you don't poo poo up threads therefore you're a good one keep at it.

I take the opposite view on probes. They're just the price of playing. Obviously this changes when they become longer and more frequent but sometimes you gotta fly close to the sun just to feel a bit warm.

Sometimes you just want a cat on there too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

I take the opposite view on probes. They're just the price of playing. Obviously this changes when they become longer and more frequent but sometimes you gotta fly close to the sun just to feel a bit warm.

Someone posted “the person who does not post out of fear of probation has already probated themselves”. Wish I could remember who.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inceltown posted:

For the low, low price of a six hour probe, I got this on my rap sheet for all eternity:

Worth it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:respek:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The person who does not post out of fear of probation has already probated themselves

There we go, it's now attributed to you.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Someone posted “the person who does not post out of fear of probation has already probated themselves”. Wish I could remember who.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872251#post489120673

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Though sort of in tandem of the great Goongle+ wave of 2011, I met my wife and ride-or-die life partner jennyinstereo in 2012. We posted in lovedump (which frankly should come back, we need to now more than ever).

We made awful Xmas music together, and soon after, got married and now have two wonderful boys.

These people that I love so much wouldn't be in my life (and my sons literally wouldn't exist) without SA.

:love: you all. Thank you.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
About 10 years ago, the other shoe dropped--my mother was dead, my brother is disabled, and our father's Alzheimer's had accelerated to the point where intervention was necessary. I had to drop my life and go try to impose some order and safety on the brother I barely knew and the father I definitely hated. The house was nearly "Hoarders" bad and the grief was paralyzing. I posted in E/N, hoping for advice and support.

I got both. Also, by effectively journaling that experience, I left myself an excellent record of everything that happened and how I felt about it. Since then, I took those posts and wrote them into a complete book. I don't know if it'll ever get published, but I'm shopping it around to agents now. Without the forums, I'd have never finished the drat thing. Without goons, I'd never have believed anyone would want to read about that kind of journey.

So, thanks folks!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Oh god, I remember that thread! There was something about a loom you were trying to sell to someone and they kept flaking? Or maybe they wanted to buy it and you didn't want to sell.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Oh god, I remember that thread! There was something about a loom you were trying to sell to someone and they kept flaking? Or maybe they wanted to buy it and you didn't want to sell.

There was fuckery around my mom's weaving equipment. A lot of it got stolen by the Other-Pix, a mentally ill woman. I chose to let it go rather than involve the police, because I was so exhausted. Most of that stuff was too hard to sell so it ended up donated to a local weaving group. I actually left almost all of that out of the book because it's depressing, infuriating, and didn't have a good ending.

I'm proud to have finished the book, however. It wouldn't have been possible without that E/N thread to mine.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I have made some friends here and got some very good recommendations on like, books, music, comics, games and stuff like that. Honestly, I think what I appreciate most about this dumb decrepit forum is that it's always there.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I got sober eight years ago and the recovery thread in TCC was like my 24/7 meeting.

I’d post all of my fears and worries and pink cloud thoughts and the recovery goons would always be there to answer and cajole and comfort.

I love how the recovery thread in a drug-use forum on a comedy website helped me get sober.

Thanks goons!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vincent posted:

I think what I appreciate most about this dumb decrepit forum is that it's always there.
Same. I'm always in awe of the combined store of knowledge we have here, but it's basically my corner bar.

Also this should be the background song to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

For the low, low price of a six hour probe, I got this on my rap sheet for all eternity:

Worth it.

Where's the spray from the right girl shoulder coming from?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't think I've achieved or learnt anything life-changing through SA, but one time a goon was complaining about their lovely day and how they had fainted in the morning and hit their head on their bedside table and now they had to go to work with a dent in their head and I was like "buddy you should go the the hospital" and the next post in the thread was them like 8 hours later posting from the ICU and that I had probably saved their life.

I can always say I achieved one good thing as a poster here :unsmith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some years ago I remember a goon who lived close to me (like a city or so away) posting about his bad day cause he had lost his jobs and his kids were hungry. This was way before Uber, so I overnighted a box of nonperishable food to him. Pretty sure the bread got crushed, sorry goon! But he sent me this teary thank you email, which helped me realize I have a lot of things, and if I can help one person a day, I'm doing good.

PISS and SASS has gotten me so many amazingly cool art things that I started making paintings and other things for homemade gifts.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cowslips Warren posted:

Some years ago I remember a goon who lived close to me (like a city or so away) posting about his bad day cause he had lost his jobs and his kids were hungry. This was way before Uber, so I overnighted a box of nonperishable food to him. Pretty sure the bread got crushed, sorry goon! But he sent me this teary thank you email, which helped me realize I have a lot of things, and if I can help one person a day, I'm doing good.

PISS and SASS has gotten me so many amazingly cool art things that I started making paintings and other things for homemade gifts.

On that note way back in the day when I had a lot more disposable income than now I gifted a goon some money as they'd been laid off right before Christmas. It was less than I would have spent at the bar on any given Friday night so it's not like it was hurting me and the feeling I got knowing that they could get xmas presents for the family was way better a feeling than booze ever gave me.

While I still give to charity when I can it's not the same as the tangible results you get from helping someone directly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s part of the reason I like the goonfund. Yeah there are always going to be issues with scammers and yeah you don’t get a charitable donation, but stuff like this:

quote:

Goonfund just literally saved my life by funding the stupid expensive prescriptions i need bc i don't have insurance 💖💖💖

makes me happy to contribute / see that others have to. This community is good and the people in it are good.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s part of the reason I like the goonfund. Yeah there are always going to be issues with scammers and yeah you don’t get a charitable donation, but stuff like this:

makes me happy to contribute / see that others have to. This community is good and the people in it are good.

Thanks for reminding me about Goonfund. I had meant to sign up to contribute a few weeks ago. I'm in now.

A recent article in our local paper about the current and coming eviction crisis just really pissed me off. So many people facing so much hardship, and I just want to help.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Wait. Goonfund? What is that?

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

as per my last email, we'll touch base, circle back and synergize
Something Awful saved my life (for the second time, but this one is my favorite) when goons helped me get out of a psychologically and physically abusive relationship with Lowtax back in late June 2020. So many people had and continue to have my back. This website will forever be in my heart and part of my life story. Goons are some of the best people on the planet.

Shoutout once again to LITERALLY A BIRD, protector of the forums. She’s my best friend. When I was laying alone with a black eye and assorted other bruises in a lovely hotel in Missouri, she was the only one who reached out—and frequently. The admins pooled their resources to get me out and safely back home.

Goons forever, goon for life amen.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I joined in the early/mid 2000's and what got me to reg was some of the epic threads like Bruiser and the Garbage Truck from Hell and I can't remember his username, but the guy who had to whip his kid into shape because of drugs and got him exercising and emptied his room of nothing but a mattress and a box for clothes. Also the guy who found his dad's Vietnam novel and retyped the whole thing into an electronic document. These were just awesome personal stories and incredibly well written. That was what pulled me in at first but from there I started reading A/T, D&D, GWS, and E/N. From there I started wandering across all sorts of subgroups.

It's just amazing the amount of information and knowledge in these forums. Everything from movie reviews to tech help to DIY stuff. It's a great way for people to experience things outside of their norms, especially if your options are limited. It was a sad day to hear that the forums might have been shut down, I hope that won't end up being the case.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxphocker posted:

I joined in the early/mid 2000's and what got me to reg was some of the epic threads like Bruiser and the Garbage Truck from Hell and I can't remember his username, but the guy who had to whip his kid into shape because of drugs and got him exercising and emptied his room of nothing but a mattress and a box for clothes. Also the guy who found his dad's Vietnam novel and retyped the whole thing into an electronic document. These were just awesome personal stories and incredibly well written. That was what pulled me in at first but from there I started reading A/T, D&D, GWS, and E/N. From there I started wandering across all sorts of subgroups.

It's just amazing the amount of information and knowledge in these forums. Everything from movie reviews to tech help to DIY stuff. It's a great way for people to experience things outside of their norms, especially if your options are limited. It was a sad day to hear that the forums might have been shut down, I hope that won't end up being the case.

Back when the site was huge it was insane, if people were talking about basically anything a ton of people with a lot of expertise in that field would show up and drop knowledge bombs. I learned a ton lurking here back in the day.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Toad on a Roll posted:

Something Awful saved my life (for the second time, but this one is my favorite) when goons helped me get out of a psychologically and physically abusive relationship with Lowtax back in late June 2020. So many people had and continue to have my back. This website will forever be in my heart and part of my life story. Goons are some of the best people on the planet.

Shoutout once again to LITERALLY A BIRD, protector of the forums. She’s my best friend. When I was laying alone with a black eye and assorted other bruises in a lovely hotel in Missouri, she was the only one who reached out—and frequently. The admins pooled their resources to get me out and safely back home.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say I’m so happy you’re doing better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

InediblePenguin posted:

holy poo poo, I also got an amazon gift cert then from some goon. Goons are cool.

Back when the site was huge it was insane, if people were talking about basically anything a ton of people with a lot of expertise in that field would show up and drop knowledge bombs. I learned a ton lurking here back in the day.

"And how do you know all this?"

"Someone on this website- no they're legit- yes I trust them why- no but- ugh you wouldn't understand."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Way back in like 2011 or so i posted in one of those "i'm bored message me threads" and made a few friends who genuinely helped me out through some bad spots in my early 20s. I know Psyopmonkey was disliked by GBS but she was a lot of fun to talk to and in general a nice person. We kept in touch for awhile but then she got out of the military and got a real life and it's been yeras now. I hope she's doing okay still

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Multiple times within the last 10 years, whenever I've been really down in a hole, I throw myself into a sub-community of SA and find friends there and it's always great.
I ran the TBB Secret Santa for a few years and one year everyone got together and got me a really cool gift.
I was a Goontube regular for a while and I have more FB friends now. I still check in.
Discords aplenty, but I made 3-4 really good friends from an Overwatch Discord that I still talk to.
It's the right size of community, where there are enough people to where anything you like, there will be like minds, but not big enough to where you can't make real connections because of an overwhelming amount of input.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Toad on a Roll posted:

Hearing about goons helping you is what finally motivated one of my best friends to accept help and move in with my people. She still has a broken rib, but she's out, she's with us, and she's safe. Thank you for sharing your story, because this had been a multi year long fight for her, and I'm not sure she would have moved forward without hearing about someone in a very similar situation actually getting out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Cinema Discusso did so much for making me appreciate film as an artform and break free from the binary of RottenTomatoes/Metacritics scores in determining whether or not a movie was worth watching.While it sucks that I was eventually banned from the forum for talking about movies because I talked about movies in the wrong way, I will still carry the lessons with me.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

as per my last email, we'll touch base, circle back and synergize

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Hearing about goons helping you is what finally motivated one of my best friends to accept help and move in with my people. She still has a broken rib, but she's out, she's with us, and she's safe. Thank you for sharing your story, because this had been a multi year long fight for her, and I'm not sure she would have moved forward without hearing about someone in a very similar situation actually getting out.

I’m truly honored by this—thank you so much. Please let her know I wish her the absolute best!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
I don't have anything as dramatically good as all this, but I've met some really kind and thoughtful people and had some very informed and interesting conversations with them. I'm very happy to consider them my friends.

And most people are at least pretty nice. And on the internet, that's a rare thing indeed these days. :unsmith:

Kangxi has a new favorite as of 02:45 on Sep 28, 2020

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This place actually literally did help me to be less of a bad person. I got in with some goons who weren't shy at all about calling me out for some things like using slurs or just generally being a jackoff.

Ironically, I met them through taking the piss out of Dominic Deegan.

I genuinely do think that this group of goons helped put me on a better path, and I'm thankful.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
For one, seeing & reading the PS Phriday threads not only made me laugh but got me into messing with PS myself to make goofy images & get a smile from people. But honestly, if I had to pick ONE thing, it would have to be Goatse Mugs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933628

An idea from years ago, when I was under the name Ozz81. I can't remember the exact thread that started it, but I posted a silly BMP I made in Paint of a design for a mug based on our famous rubbery-anused friend. That image turned into fellow goon Empty Sandwich, who has done pottery & other cool stuff, making a run of hilarious mugs that ended up blowing up into a whole line of different goatse-based items. I never once thought a dumb little joke Paint image I made would explode into an actual product, but it's honestly one of my favorite things. If you haven't already, go get one of the mugs, shot glasses or other assorted trinkets Empty Sandwich has made, he really does a fantastic quality job on everything :)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Saved to remind me to order when you have stock!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
An anonymous goon ordered nearly a hundred bucks worth of delicious grubhub restaurant food to my apartment when me and all my roommates had covid, and it was loving amazing.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

An anonymous goon ordered nearly a hundred bucks worth of delicious grubhub restaurant food to my apartment when me and all my roommates had covid, and it was loving amazing.

As a restaurant kitchen worker, this tickles me in so many ways. Supporting my struggling industry AND helping a goon out? Very blessed.

Speaking of restaurants, I was just poking around 3 threads I have bookmarked, the "what's your white whale?", "help me find a song", and "lost SA threads". Sometimes I can help out, sometimes folks help me. But I always like browsing those, because I end up seeing content I may not have stumbled on otherwise. Same for a whole bunch of threads, now that I think about it.

It's like when you'd go to a restaurant you've never been to before, and someone at the table next to you gets something that looks/smells fantastic. And you lean over and ask, "excuse me, sorry to bother you, but what is that?" And you end up ordering it, and it's awesome.

It's like that, but without even having to ask --- or even pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The DIY forum has been a literal lifesaver. I can't imagine how many hundreds of dollars I've saved by opting to do poo poo myself instead of hiring it out. It's nice being able to consult a whole pool of people who know what they're talking about, as opposed to some random teenager working part time at Home Depot.

For instance, all the posters yelled at me to get a voltage pen instead of being a cheapskate, and that thing has saved me from two occasions where I would have assumed the power was out, but it wasn't. And I knew, because I listened to the forum and bought a voltage pen.