Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't believe even celebrity J! contestants missed a clue that was essentially "name one religious person in Russian history"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://abc7news.com/6336868/?ex_ci...UA6XnKd8ekhWkOU

'Jeopardy!' to honor Regis Philbin by showing 1992 episode as part of 'Vault' series

Uhhh. Misleading loving headline. It was already on the schedule. What a gross clickbitty way to try and capitalize on a death.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
You're gonna have to recalibrate your outrage threshold if you expect to make it through the rest of 2020

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Got one here in NYC, but that was probably just ABC being on the ball.

That was an actually good Celebrity Jeopardy episode too, though leaving so many clues covered in Double Jeopardy (including the second Daily Double) pained me. Such good byplay, even if that ate up time for more clues and such. Good reminder of how well Regis could play to a partner with rapport.

yeah i was watching the nyc station too

and yes, it seemed normal in celebrity episodes to leave a lot of clues up with time for in-game banter and all

can't help but think they stopped doing those because of snl

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sir Lemming posted:

You're gonna have to recalibrate your outrage threshold if you expect to make it through the rest of 2020

Oh sorry! If only I was as defeated and apathetic as you. :jerkbag:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

I can't believe even celebrity J! contestants missed a clue that was essentially "name one religious person in Russian history"

I figured it was Rasputin, but I'd never heard him called anything but Rasputin or "The Black Monk" :shrug:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Holy hell, we lost it laughing. The episode could have been a SNL skit. So good.

Find clips of some of Alex's other game shows, dude's a master class troll.

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah i was watching the nyc station too

and yes, it seemed normal in celebrity episodes to leave a lot of clues up with time for in-game banter and all

can't help but think they stopped doing those because of snl

I'd like to blame either Wolf Blitzer for his perfect game, or a desire to permanently gently caress over Andy Richter.

Fake edit: WPVI aired the memorial card too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zesty posted:

Oh sorry! If only I was as defeated and apathetic as you. :jerkbag:
i speak on behalf of the huddled masses, unheard, pained screaming for regis philbin content

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I got it because all the names were Russian. That plus "depraved" pointed to Rasputin.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://deadline.com/2020/07/wheel-of-fortune-jeopardy-head-back-to-studio-1202997931/

Looks like they're planning on getting back in the studio shortly.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone so completely "just happy to be here" before.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I figured it was Rasputin, but I'd never heard him called anything but Rasputin or "The Black Monk" :shrug:

Yeah, but even without knowing it you at least got there. It should have been everyone's immediate "Welp, dont know, this is my guess" answer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
OTOH, one thing I'm noticing is that some of the knowledge sets back then are way out of my toolbox, so perhaps Rasputin wasn't quite as known at the time

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that’s a good point, a lot of the literature and movie stuff especially is wayyyy harder for me than newer stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
"Microsoft WebTV Interactive Program"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can we please just have a channel that is all 90s and 00s jeopardy? i'd watch this maybe 16hr per day.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I never understood why they can't release episodes more freely on hulu or something. Clearly they have them all saved for events like this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
A bunch of new collections just dropped on Netflix this past week. They're not huge, but it's probably about 30-40 eps.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Tonight's game was good and headed toward an exciting conclusion. I could read on the screen from the text scrolling by that there was a tornado warning nearby. Then before the exciting finish of the game the local station cut to the news studio to have the guy tell us the exact same information that we already learned from the scroll going by. Is it really necessary to interrupt Jeopardy completely like that?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

you broke my grill posted:

Tonight's game was good and headed toward an exciting conclusion. I could read on the screen from the text scrolling by that there was a tornado warning nearby. Then before the exciting finish of the game the local station cut to the news studio to have the guy tell us the exact same information that we already learned from the scroll going by. Is it really necessary to interrupt Jeopardy completely like that?

It's a legal thing if there's a tornado anywhere in the viewing area they have to cut in. I lived in Kansas for 9 years, and 2/3 of the state is one viewing area, so they'd cut into everything because there was a strong chance of a tornado on the far side of the state

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Tonight's episode was a lot of fun even though I knew who was going to win.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a legal thing if there's a tornado anywhere in the viewing area they have to cut in. I lived in Kansas for 9 years, and 2/3 of the state is one viewing area, so they'd cut into everything because there was a strong chance of a tornado on the far side of the state

During tornado season, losing more than half an episode to this is a monthly thing.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I thought Eddie got an additional audio cue during tournament play because he couldn't see the light bar, and everyone's reaction times were faster than regular play.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The misogyny in the categories during these older games are suuuuuuper yikes.

“Pretty faces on TV” ah yes

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Million Dollar Masters has been a load of fun. A great crop of contestants and a bunch of pop culture I had completely forgotten about.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Leslie changed the entire history of the show with that bid.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Million Dollar Masters has been a load of fun. A great crop of contestants and a bunch of pop culture I had completely forgotten about.

Yeah, it’s awesome and I love it. They need to show more of the older awesome tournaments

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Poque posted:

Leslie changed the entire history of the show with that bid.
I thought the same thing when her bet popped up.

Also, I happened to look up India to see what acting credits she has, and she just passed away in June of this year. That's a bummer.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Jokymi posted:

I thought the same thing when her bet popped up.

Also, I happened to look up India to see what acting credits she has, and she just passed away in June of this year. That's a bummer.

They included a memorial insert when they played her opening round episode last week.

It's probably a little easier when you're guaranteed $10/$25k, but it's been fun to see the personality and banter among the players.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

MD2020 posted:

They included a memorial insert when they played her opening round episode last week.
I must have missed that, I was keeping my eye out for something on last night's show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jokymi posted:

I must have missed that, I was keeping my eye out for something on last night's show.

It was at the end, if you flipped away, or went to get a snack you would have missed it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Leslie's bid got Brad into the finals. Bob screwing up a Daily Double, then another miss allowed Brad to win it all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Leslie's bid got Brad into the finals. Bob screwing up a Daily Double, then another miss allowed Brad to win it all.
We've seen so many big-wager Daily Doubles in recent years, but this one hit me because I truly believe that had Bob not lost his momentum on that previous Supreme Court question, he would have gotten this. He got way into his own head, lost his composure, and struggled to find an answer that was within reach

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1296908697407430656?s=21

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Jeopardy's back on the 14th:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1301550521208233985

Ken Jennings is presenting multiple categories. The "don't worry, I'm still the host" gag is good, but this does seem like a first step towards Ken eventually hosting.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Edit: I think this is against the rules of the site I found the data so I'm removing it

Orzo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 3, 2020

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1301595792675807232

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Who’s the dude he’s quoting (besides an obnoxious blue check) and why should we care?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ken needs someone to play off of to be his best, but outside of the odd witty contestant, I don’t think the format has room for that. Unless Johnny wants to start taking a more active role at age 97.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ken needs someone to play off of to be his best, but outside of the odd witty contestant, I don’t think the format has room for that. Unless Johnny wants to start taking a more active role at age 97.
Alex backed off in recent years, but the older shows had a lot of mid-game banter with the contestants. I'd go so far as to call him a trash-talker up until about the mid-'90s