Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Would Austin have lost his poo poo over that, or am I exaggerating their heat?

Hogan got his buddy Duggan a job in WCW and Hacksaw ended up beating Austin for the TV title in thirty seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah, I'm not sure if Vince would have wanted to risk annoying Austin enough to bring Hogan in in the late '90s. When they did finally bring Hogan in it was during the general year-long downturn of 2002, when Austin wasn't quite the drawing phenomenon he once was, and even then they had to awkwardly keep them apart due to the remaining resentment.

The idea of Flair in Attitude Era WWF is hella intriguing to me though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Not only was Flair willing he was waiting outside a WWF PPV in 98 waiting to make a deal until his lawyers told him not to. (According to him.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Not only was Flair willing he was waiting outside a WWF PPV in 98 waiting to make a deal until his lawyers told him not to. (According to him.)

Wasn't there a claim that he could/would have been the Corporate Champion?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hogan got his buddy Duggan a job in WCW and Hacksaw ended up beating Austin for the TV title in thirty seconds.

Even worse, it was the U.S.Title.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Even worse, it was the U.S.Title.

Ah, I was confusing it with the time Duggan pulled the TV title out of a trash can years later.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Rock was noted to be way less paranoid about his spot than the past several top guys (Austin, HBK, Bret, Diesel) and that he's also the first top guy WWF had who hadn't worked in a company Hogan was on top of.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Flair was going to "appear" at the 1998 WWF PPV in Greensboro and be visible on camera, but Reid was going to be interviewed. It got as far as Flair driving around the building, but lawyers from one or both sides decided they didn't want to risk it after a long discussion that afternoon. Cornette proposed the idea and McMahon loved it. Cornette was the intermediary between the two since McMahon couldn't directly talk to Flair, but Cornette, as a friend, could.

It would have been interesting to see how Flair would have fit.

There were a handful of WWF guys saying publicly at that time that he was too old to be around. Three years later, they all welcomed him with open arms, so it might have been a bunch of posturing.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There were a handful of WWF guys saying publicly at that time that he was too old to be around. Three years later, they all welcomed him with open arms, so it might have been a bunch of posturing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few guys (like Foley) who had personal beef with Flair, but yeah, that sounds like part of WWF's usual diatribe against WCW, that it's full of old people like Hogan and Savage. It seemed pretty common, if a WWF wrestler was under 30, for JR to explicitly note their age multiple times on commentary, a practice that suspiciously seemed to fade away after WCW went out of business... (edit: aside from specific cases like Lesnar and Orton)

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 2, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm not sure Bischoff could have ever kept the thing going because ultimately, the buck didn't stop with him. If Vince decides he's tired of a wrestler's poo poo, he can pay them to sit home or buy out their contract, no one can tell him differently. If Bischoff decides to send someone home, all it takes is one corporate accountant asking why we're paying a guy millions not to be on TV and questions start getting asked, people start getting overruled.

Not that I would ever believe a drat word out of Russo's mouth, but I recall him saying that was the response he got from Turner trying to convince them to keep Lex Luger and Liz off TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Flair was going to "appear" at the 1998 WWF PPV in Greensboro and be visible on camera, but Reid was going to be interviewed. It got as far as Flair driving around the building, but lawyers from one or both sides decided they didn't want to risk it after a long discussion that afternoon. Cornette proposed the idea and McMahon loved it. Cornette was the intermediary between the two since McMahon couldn't directly talk to Flair, but Cornette, as a friend, could.

It would have been interesting to see how Flair would have fit.

What's funny is one of the people who was saying that was HHH.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hogan vs Flair, main event of Summerslam 1999.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I often wonder how many of Bischoff's problems could've been caused by his alcohol consumption.
This reminds me of the best/worst story about Bischoff the Businessman, when he was on the Talkin' Shop revival podcast and they mentioned they were going to market a beer and Bischoff launched into a story about how that was a terrible and expensive mistake and that they shouldn't do it.

He then told like a fifteen minute story about how he and a buddy had the idea to trademark the name and likeness of Buffalo Bill Cody because he saw all of his cool touring show posters were in the public domain, so why couldn't he get in on that action? But if you trademark something you need a specific good/service to attach it to, so he decides to start a (contract) brewery. He announces it and then spends several years in a series of lawsuits and counter-suits with Bill Cody's descendants and the non-familial owners of the hotel that Buffalo Bill Cody built/ran in Wyoming. Bischoff was launching said beer in Wyoming and quite likely was drinking in that hotel when he got the idea. He somehow chalks this up to why selling beer is bad business.

It's just a long series of complaints about how bad lawyers are and how shady trademark law is and how hard it is to establish that you own a dead man's likeness to put on your beer labels and sort of wraps it up as "and that's why you don't want to launch your own beer."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tato posted:

Not that I would ever believe a drat word out of Russo's mouth, but I recall him saying that was the response he got from Turner trying to convince them to keep Lex Luger and Liz off TV.

How many years was Lanny Poffo paid to be at home?

There was at least one case of a wrestler being put back on TV because of a contract, though I don't know if it was the accountants. Iron Sheik was brought in in 1989/90, sucked bad and was sent home. They forgot he was on contract, so it rolled over. Sheiky was brought back out to try to get some value out of the contract, but was still terrible and sent home again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tato posted:

I'm not sure Bischoff could have ever kept the thing going because ultimately, the buck didn't stop with him. If Vince decides he's tired of a wrestler's poo poo, he can pay them to sit home or buy out their contract, no one can tell him differently. If Bischoff decides to send someone home, all it takes is one corporate accountant asking why we're paying a guy millions not to be on TV and questions start getting asked, people start getting overruled.

Lol the reason why Luger and Liz (and also DDP and Kimberly) were off TV for a while was because Russo was trying to force Liz and Kimberly into wrestling roles and they though it was a breach of their contract for the services they were hired (being a manager/valet)

DDP and Lex walked off with both of them in protest and didnt come back until Kimberly and Liz got their releases

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's been said that Russo had an obsession with trying to get Liz to strip in the ring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be sure, Liz had an outrageous contract that didn't require her to wrestle or talk. Russo wanted to get their money's worth out of her by having her strip, because he's a disgusting creep.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

To be sure, Liz had an outrageous contract that didn't require her to wrestle or talk. Russo wanted to get their money's worth out of her by having her strip, because he's a disgusting creep.

It's not an outrageous contract, it's a contract the company offered her to provide her services. It was what she did for over a decade, and suddenly it wasn't good enough.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Russo's attitude towards women was always atrocious, but the Liz stuff definitely had the added "bonus" angle of "You know that Pure and Innocent woman you remember from your childhood? Well, tonight she might take her clothes off!!".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's not an outrageous contract, it's a contract the company offered her to provide her services. It was what she did for over a decade, and suddenly it wasn't good enough.

Also he pulled this poo poo with all the women on the show. It's why AC Jazz left, I think? In the Retro shows they mentioned one of the Nitro Girls quit because they didn't want mud wrestling and angles. They were hired to dance.

I guess Stacy turned out alright as she was a star in WWE angles too but I can only imagine what bullshit they fed the Nitro Girl search contestants. "Yeah, you will just be dancing a lot... andalsoinpregnancyanglesandstripperfights."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I remember right, the Nitro Girls had a lousy downside, so I assume there was a lot of pressure to do those lovely angles just to get the payday for an appearance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

If I remember right, the Nitro Girls had a lousy downside, so I assume there was a lot of pressure to do those lovely angles just to get the payday for an appearance.

Yes once they were under contract they got $15,000 per year $500 for each TV appearance, $500 if they were a valet or did a physical angle and $250 for their PR appearances.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

"You know that Pure and Innocent woman you remember from your childhood? Well, tonight she might take her clothes off!!".

I can here that in Russo's voice so clearly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I sweah too goawwwd.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Vagabundo posted:

I sweah too goawwwd.
"I'M DA ONLY WRITAH IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLE-ING WITH THE SPAULDINGS TO TRY TO GET MISS ELIZABETH NAKED!"

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
It should be pointed out Vince Russo is born in 1961. The Liz obsession wasn’t even a teen thing like I always assumed without doing the math.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Willninho posted:

It should be pointed out Vince Russo is born in 1961. The Liz obsession wasn’t even a teen thing like I always assumed without doing the math.
Y'know...I...never really thought about that for some reason, even though I knew when he went to college. So he was TWENTY-FOUR when Liz debuted on WWF television. Good lord.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Realizing that Vince Russo is a year older than Jim Cornette awhile back is one of those things that never stops being weird.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Realizing that Vince Russo is a year older than Jim Cornette awhile back is one of those things that never stops being weird.

:psyduck:

I have only now just learned that. holy poo poo.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Paul Heyman is roughly their same age IIRC

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

davidbix posted:

"I'M DA ONLY WRITAH IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLE-ING WITH THE SPAULDINGS TO TRY TO GET MISS ELIZABETH NAKED!"

"Ms Elizabeth and Majah' Guns in a pool of cream of mushroom soup at Stahhcade, bro!"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And even after America grew out of its' collective adolescence and moved past the attitude era Russo just doubled down on that bullshit in TNA. At some point it stopped being 'this is a reflection of our horny and misogynistic society' and started being 'this is a personal grudge isn't it'? Did Russo just lie awake at night trying to hate Trinity to death then wound up being disappointed when she showed up to work?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

ChrisBTY posted:

And even after America grew out of its' collective adolescence and moved past the attitude era Russo just doubled down on that bullshit in TNA. At some point it stopped being 'this is a reflection of our horny and misogynistic society' and started being 'this is a personal grudge isn't it'? Did Russo just lie awake at night trying to hate Trinity to death then wound up being disappointed when she showed up to work?

Was "Daffney, get in that ring and strip" Russo's handiwork?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Even beyond being horny, I feel like one of his greatest calling cards was "woman lies about being pregnant/abused and uses it to her advantage". He did it in WWF (Terri, Marianna Komlos), WCW (Stacy), and almost certainly in TNA as well though I can't think of who with. I remember The Beautiful People having sex with referee Slick Johnson in exchange for wins though!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Vagabundo posted:

Can't say for sure, would be amazed if it wasn't.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Since the topic is Russo, was Ed Ferrara ever worth a drat at writing or whatever or did he just luck into grabbing Russo's coat tails? Because as bad as Russo is Ferrara seemed even worse somehow.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vagabundo posted:

I believe that was, while “Daffney, get in the ring and do these dangerous spots” was Terry Taylor.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

To be fair, Jim Cornette turned 50 on his 18th birthday, so the math for "who's older than Cornette?" never really works out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Holy poo poo, Jim Cornette was thirty-two when he signed with WWF and he looked ten years older than I do now at thirty-seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Every wrestler from the 70s and 80s was 40 until 2015 or so, then they all rapidly aged.