Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
My first (and last) WWE show was their house show here in Finland in May 2019.

The good:
- catching up with fellow fans
- the surprisingly lively atmosphere with 4000~ people in attendance (pro wrestling hasn't been on free TV in like 15 years)
- seeing Daniel Bryan live (the only reason I got my ticket)

The rest? Woof, it was not good.

- The card was indeed subject to change. AJ Styles, the center guy in all the event posters was on the other house show loop and the card was shuffled around quite a bit.

- Opener was Truth & Carmella vs Almas & Vega. This was what you could expect from a house show matches, mostly playing to the crowd, dancing etc. Almas took the bump of the night flying to the outside. Heels won, afterwards Lars "somehow always beats up minorities" Sullivan attacked R-Truth.

- This was followed by Xavier Woods vs Sami Zayn. Zayn gets a strong face reaction, some Oles, welcome back chants from the smark crew (Generico wrestled in Finland once) but plays the heel. Woods toots his trombone which startles Zayn, immediate roll-up for the finish.

- After that... AJ Styles Matt Hardy vs Samoa Joe for the US title. Except not, because Joe attacks Hardy and chokes him out. Joe leaves, Hardy sells for a bit and... walks backstage. This streak felt like 30+ minutes of non-wrestling after the end of the opener.

- The match to bring the workrate? Charlotte vs Naomi, which I believe was the longest match of the night. I have no memories about any of this.

- MOTN, Bryan & Rowan vs Nakamura & Rusev vs Usos. Bryan is mega over (Please recycle, Yes, and Daniel Bryan chants through the match and entrance), Rowan was uber over (wearing some Finnish metal shirts made him "The Nordic Hero") and Rusev got big chants, partly in thanks to traveling Russian fans. In spite of this, both Bryan and Rusev (who told us that Norway was the better country) worked the match as heels with no funny house show role reversals. Which, well, sucked. No one is going to see the show except some Finnish marks, loosen up a little! Nakamura and Bryan had zero minutes of in-ring time together, funny considering working with Bryan was a reason for Nakamura's decision to leave for WWE.

- Iconics vs Asuka and Sane happened, gently caress finish for the titles, babyfaces get the heat back via post match attack. Yes, we got all the cliches in one show.

- Hardy returns to the ring and demands his match after resting for an hour. Joe decides to actually have the match this time and wins.

- Kofi Kingston defends the WWE title against Kevin Owens in the main. The result is obvious, but at least we might get a good match? Nah, Zayn runs in after five minutes and attacks Kingston, Woods evens the odds, holla holla, No DQ tag match. So the guys brawl for a bit, take the softest chair shots in history (Woods holds a chair on the prone back of Zayn, Kingston hits the chair with another chair. Safe? Probably? Kills any immersion? Definitely.) and a table spot to wow the audience. Faces win and promise it's not going to take another 10 years to return to Finland.

Suffice to say, our local indy blew this show out of the water the same month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BTF posted:

Suffice to say, our local indy blew this show out of the water

WWE.txt

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah that Birmingham show also had Pete Dunne defending the UK title against Mark Andrews before NXT UK was a regular show so they went out and put on a legitimate 4*+ banger. It was awesome (but not as awesome as the Grizzled Young Vets/South Wales Subculture tag match I saw at an indie show a few months later)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

BTF posted:

My first (and last) WWE show was their house show here in Finland in May 2019.

The good:
- catching up with fellow fans
- the surprisingly lively atmosphere with 4000~ people in attendance (pro wrestling hasn't been on free TV in like 15 years)
- seeing Daniel Bryan live (the only reason I got my ticket)

The rest? Woof, it was not good.

- The card was indeed subject to change. AJ Styles, the center guy in all the event posters was on the other house show loop and the card was shuffled around quite a bit.

- Opener was Truth & Carmella vs Almas & Vega. This was what you could expect from a house show matches, mostly playing to the crowd, dancing etc. Almas took the bump of the night flying to the outside. Heels won, afterwards Lars "somehow always beats up minorities" Sullivan attacked R-Truth.

- This was followed by Xavier Woods vs Sami Zayn. Zayn gets a strong face reaction, some Oles, welcome back chants from the smark crew (Generico wrestled in Finland once) but plays the heel. Woods toots his trombone which startles Zayn, immediate roll-up for the finish.

- After that... AJ Styles Matt Hardy vs Samoa Joe for the US title. Except not, because Joe attacks Hardy and chokes him out. Joe leaves, Hardy sells for a bit and... walks backstage. This streak felt like 30+ minutes of non-wrestling after the end of the opener.

- The match to bring the workrate? Charlotte vs Naomi, which I believe was the longest match of the night. I have no memories about any of this.

- MOTN, Bryan & Rowan vs Nakamura & Rusev vs Usos. Bryan is mega over (Please recycle, Yes, and Daniel Bryan chants through the match and entrance), Rowan was uber over (wearing some Finnish metal shirts made him "The Nordic Hero") and Rusev got big chants, partly in thanks to traveling Russian fans. In spite of this, both Bryan and Rusev (who told us that Norway was the better country) worked the match as heels with no funny house show role reversals. Which, well, sucked. No one is going to see the show except some Finnish marks, loosen up a little! Nakamura and Bryan had zero minutes of in-ring time together, funny considering working with Bryan was a reason for Nakamura's decision to leave for WWE.

- Iconics vs Asuka and Sane happened, gently caress finish for the titles, babyfaces get the heat back via post match attack. Yes, we got all the cliches in one show.

- Hardy returns to the ring and demands his match after resting for an hour. Joe decides to actually have the match this time and wins.

- Kofi Kingston defends the WWE title against Kevin Owens in the main. The result is obvious, but at least we might get a good match? Nah, Zayn runs in after five minutes and attacks Kingston, Woods evens the odds, holla holla, No DQ tag match. So the guys brawl for a bit, take the softest chair shots in history (Woods holds a chair on the prone back of Zayn, Kingston hits the chair with another chair. Safe? Probably? Kills any immersion? Definitely.) and a table spot to wow the audience. Faces win and promise it's not going to take another 10 years to return to Finland.

Suffice to say, our local indy blew this show out of the water the same month.

Yeah I was there too. I thought it was fine as a whole, Charlotte vs Naomi was surprisingly good as was the Bryan tag match. I liked the main and New Day were really awesome live, just so energetic and fun and charismatic. If WWE ever does come back I’ll probably just skip if that’s the level of show you get for the pretty expensive ticket. And, ah, well, for the whole ”WWE fuckin sucks” reason.

Speaking of tickets... I bought the cheapest ticket possible and got a fantastic view from the lowest row of arena seating. A couple of my friends went for the (vastly) more expensive floor seats and saw approximately gently caress all. Also there were all those issues with people not being allowed to bring drinks and food to the seats. Really poor organisation, but that’s not on WWE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Demi Burnett (the Batchelor lady Angel Garza wants to bang) spoke to Pro Wrestling Sheet

I googled her because I haven't been watching WWE and... are we sure this is a real person and not just Alexis Rose from Schitt's Creek?

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah that Birmingham show also had Pete Dunne defending the UK title against Mark Andrews before NXT UK was a regular show so they went out and put on a legitimate 4*+ banger. It was awesome (but not as awesome as the Grizzled Young Vets/South Wales Subculture tag match I saw at an indie show a few months later)

for all that I sometimes disparage Pete Dunne, when he turns it on he absolutely turns it on. British Strong Style vs Sendai Girls at Chikara King Of Trios 2017 is up there with Okada/Suzuki and Bebop/Bucks on my list of best matches I've seen live.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 4, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

TV just doesn’t get across how big the Big Show is.

Similarly, seeing Mark Henry in person is like seeing somebody with the wrong aspect ratio somehow seamlessly edited into the real world.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Last wwe shows i went to were the nxt albert hall ones which kicked off nxt uk. So basically i saw alot of perverts that night.

Last show i went to was Royal Quest last year and that was the greatest wrestling show I've attended in person.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I met Big Show circa 1999-ish at a Golds Gym in metro Detroit while I was rehabbing a knee injury while I was in high school.

I’m 6’5” and he towers over me. It was shocking. He was drinking a can of Diet Coke and from the looks of it, the Coke was flowing from within his closed fist because you couldn’t see the can at all.

Super nice guy, though. Gave me tips on what kind of exercises to do to strengthen my MCL and signed an autograph.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/joegagne/status/1301849992106250240?s=20

Perfect encapsulation of the WWE.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jerusalem posted:

Similarly, seeing Mark Henry in person is like seeing somebody with the wrong aspect ratio somehow seamlessly edited into the real world.

Undertaker's like that too. I met him as part of a kids' charity thing I was working catering for in the late 90's, and the dude is enormous in person.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

It's funny how in Vince's mind AEW is simultaneously some little league t-shirt company that could never be actual competition and also a promotion that you have to try to undercut at every opportunity.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's like how immigrants are lazy people coming here for benefits yet also the ones taking all our jobs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonna add this to wwedefinitelyisntshook.txt

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wonder how bad they're gonna freak out if Dynamite breaks a million next week.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does anyone have the tweet handy from when wwe congratulated aew for kicking their butt on the premier ep

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

JOHN CENA posted:

does anyone have the tweet handy from when wwe congratulated aew for kicking their butt on the premier ep

https://twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1179839012607057920?lang=en

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

It just keeps getting better

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:yeshaha:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

These losers lost 8 times to NXT? Better cancel them.

Rarity posted:

Demi Burnett (the Batchelor lady Angel Garza wants to bang) spoke to Pro Wrestling Sheet

Isn't that Rhea Ripley?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Have WWE fans won? Have they really?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

CobiWann posted:

I can't remember where the post is, but someone broke down statistically the amount of title matches that have occurred on NXT since Dynamite debuted. As you might imagine, there were something like double or triple the amount of title matches in the past year compared to the average of all the years prior. WWE is genuinely damaging its own product with its hotshotting garbage, and as far as anyone can tell this self-sabotage hasn't even created a dent in AEW's armor.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

CobiWann posted:

Yes NXT got turned into poo poo like all their other shows rather than being a what if on wwe booking things long term and delivering.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My last WWE show was the Smackdown where Asuka won the battle royal to get into the TLC match where she won the title off of Becky. This was the one where the crowd hijacked the opening promo to cheer for her :v:

This was also during the MMC and I got a cool video of the Bayley Buddies waving in time with Finn's entrance theme (watch the blue one)

https://i.imgur.com/NMi4lDn.mp4

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Due to time off WWE has added 20 months to Jeff Hardy's contract

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A WWE house show was the last event at Joe Louis Arena.

I went because it was the last thing at the Joe, and ended up just exploring the building for the majority of the event, seeing ushers and staff that I wasn't going to see at the new rink, taking pictures, and just walking around on every level for one last time.

Ended up seeing a bunch of guys down below, including Lesnar and Heyman.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

Due to time off WWE has added 20 months to Jeff Hardy's contract

truly cannot tell if this is a scoop or a joke

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gotta make sure you don't get both Hardys in AEW.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1301511951768522753?s=20

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gotta make sure you don't get both Hardys in AEW.

I'm fine with this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm fine with this.

yeah Jeff Hardy isn't anywhere near the list of people I want in AEW

there's nothing he can do that a hundred flippy guys from the indies can't do better

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not saying that you're necessarily wrong, but nine months ago you could have said the same thing about Matt Hardy and he's been on fire.

Don't think that WWE cares very much about how good someone could potentially be in AEW though, it's more that they don't want to let anyone famous go.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
...no? Matt's incredibly creative and able to re-invent his character basically at will, Jeff has been the same wrestler for two decades now except now he's a lot more banged up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Paper Lion posted:

truly cannot tell if this is a scoop or a joke

Scoop.

Yeah I don't want Jeff in WWE either but it's still loving insane that WWE can just do that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be even more ghoulish when we see months added onto the contract of talent that stayed home cause of Covid

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt reinvented himself like a dozen times and only one of them didn't suck, let's not get too crazy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't want Jeff in AEW because time and time again he's proven himself unreliable.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I don't want Jeff in AEW either him being forced to stay 8 months in a company that just used his addiction as an angle is very much on the side of not being healthy/leading to a relapse. And any time a company screws over talent you stand with the worker even if you don't like them (unless said talent is a Dream/Riddle level scumbag but hey WWE is perfectly fine with standing by them for REASONS)

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

Matt reinvented himself like a dozen times and only one of them didn't suck, let's not get too crazy.

Delete this !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Aphrodite posted:

agreed, Big Money Matt was the best