Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so, i am looking for recommendations for bands like iron maiden.

now don't get me wrong--i know that sounds ridiculous. there are tons of thrash bands out there and what not. but i'm specifically talking about a type of metal i don't think many metal artists get. at least to me. what i'm saying is, to me, metal is all about writing great songs that are super fast, super melodic, and super ridiculous in a grandiose, dark, theatric way, not in a punk way, and having fun with it. that is quintessential maiden, i think? perfect songwriting and so melodic.

yet, most metal seems so goddamn serious. it's about being darker or whatever. to me, metal is, by definition, kind of a cartoon. sorry if i'm offending anyone, but i kind of think all forms of music are. isn't any good musician just a jester?

in any case, i am looking for super melodic metal bands that have enough self-awareness to realize that it's all just ridiculous and about having, not trying to convey...evilness or seriousness or whatever they're trying to do. maiden just always seems so effortlessly fun and good yet completely understanding of their place. this stuff isn't loving serious, and we're just being rock stars and writing great, hard stuff. many friends and have told many recommendations, and there have been some hits--mostly judas priest. but i feel like those were so reactionary to maiden and not as well done.

so yea, if anyone has any other possible ideas, let me know.

here's hoping.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you want maximum bombast and silliness while still being good, look no further than Gloryhammer, who are power metal taken to its logical extreme and are highly self-aware about it.

And certainly explore the rest of the NWOBHM scene that Maiden came out of. Most of those bands were all about having a good time. Raven's album Athletic Rock is like the most energetic thing in the world. Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Jaguar and Tank are all good examples as well. Satan are one of my favorites but they are certainly darker.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

abelwingnut posted:

to me, metal is, by definition, kind of a cartoon. sorry if i'm offending anyone, but i kind of think all forms of music are. isn't any good musician just a jester?

um, no

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you want maximum bombast and silliness while still being good, look no further than Gloryhammer, who are power metal taken to its logical extreme and are highly self-aware about it.

And certainly explore the rest of the NWOBHM scene that Maiden came out of. Most of those bands were all about having a good time. Raven's album Athletic Rock is like the most energetic thing in the world. Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Jaguar and Tank are all good examples as well. Satan are one of my favorites but they are certainly darker.

i'll check them out. i know they name, but didn't know they were of the sort.

also, i forgot to mention, it might help to have someone as gifted as dickinson. :)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

now don't get me wrong--i know that sounds ridiculous. there are tons of thrash bands out there and what not. but i'm specifically talking about a type of metal i don't think many metal artists get. at least to me. what i'm saying is, to me, metal is all about writing great songs that are super fast, super melodic, and super ridiculous in a grandiose, dark, theatric way, not in a punk way, and having fun with it. that is quintessential maiden, i think? perfect songwriting and so melodic.

yet, most metal seems so goddamn serious. it's about being darker or whatever. to me, metal is, by definition, kind of a cartoon. sorry if i'm offending anyone, but i kind of think all forms of music are. isn't any good musician just a jester?

in any case, i am looking for super melodic metal bands that have enough self-awareness to realize that it's all just ridiculous and about having, not trying to convey...evilness or seriousness or whatever they're trying to do. maiden just always seems so effortlessly fun and good yet completely understanding of their place. this stuff isn't loving serious, and we're just being rock stars and writing great, hard stuff. many friends and have told many recommendations, and there have been some hits--mostly judas priest. but i feel like those were so reactionary to maiden and not as well done.

here's hoping.

Judas Priest predated Maiden and influenced them(and like every subsequent metal band), not the other way around so that is kind of a bizarre opinion to have there. Your idea of all music just being silly at heart is also really bizarre and kind of insulting to a large proportion of musicians. but anyway maybe you'd like some of the 80s heavy/power metal bands from the USA like Omen, Brocas Helm, Virgin Steele, Attacker, etc etc. Some of this stuff is along similar lines to a lot of NWOBHM bands but with a sound of its own. I feel like you might like some of the really flowery European power metal that is out there but personally I think that stuff is mostly awful so someone else should recommend that instead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

here's hoping.

I feel like the metal that's most in on its own joke is death metal, but that's not what you're after. If you're after melodic, theatrical stuff that doesn't take itself too seriously, try the new Unleash the Archers I guess?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm not sure what to call what I'm after - melodic percussion maybe. Essentially compositions where the percussion is the most prominent element, with minimal other instrumentation. Vocals or chanting is fine though. Here are a couple of a examples

Kaneda from the Akira soundtrack
Paul Kills Feyd and Robot Fight from the Dune soundtrack by Toto.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few 80s/90s power metal bands worth looking at: Stratovarius, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Rage, Iced Earth, Accept, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Savatage, Dragonforce, Symphony X, Kamelot, Falconer

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I'm not sure what to call what I'm after - melodic percussion maybe. Essentially compositions where the percussion is the most prominent element, with minimal other instrumentation. Vocals or chanting is fine though. Here are a couple of a examples

Babatunde Olatunji?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

The True Romance soundtrack (by Hans Zimmer) may fit the need. I feel like I recommended this to someone else recently but I have the memory of a gnat so I don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwmhm5WaYQ

You may or may not like Gamelan music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEWCCSuHsuQ

me your dad fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 26, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

there's a post very similar to your request from a while back. check out the responses there. (i mentioned konnakol which is pretty crazy stuff)

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thank you (both of you), that's perfect! If you have any specific recommendations in that genre, please feel free to make them; I'd love to expand my library.
also, there's a lot of super technical metal that's like that. the most prominent being meshuggah. they have vocals, though. i'm sure someone else could suggest instrumental tech/prog bands if that's what you're into
secret chiefs 3 had a side project called ishraqiyun, check out the album perichoresis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-WXzQGbPDQ
there's a ton of math rock like that... but i'll suggest battles as a start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRIRqu8Bacc
a lot of electronic composers fit the bill also. try laurel halo's albums chance of rain and in situ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw-vtjftvv4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

abelwingnut posted:

here's hoping.

Yeah, kind of weird ideas about both all metal and also all other music being kind of a cartoon.

Anyhow, if you want melodic, technically proficient, tongue in cheek metal, Korpiklaani is up there. Finntroll also, but they're a little thrashier. I think it's funny that nobody has mentioned Dethklok yet, because they are literally a cartoon poking fun at metal while also being pretty high quality death metal. I listen to the first Dethalbum all the time.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I used to have my alarm wake me up to the dulcet tones of 24 Hours From Tulsa. I demand more song with equally silky and pleasant intros that I can wake up to. Tell me what they are.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beeswax posted:

I used to have my alarm wake me up to the dulcet tones of 24 Hours From Tulsa. I demand more song with equally silky and pleasant intros that I can wake up to. Tell me what they are.

Ralome by Plaid

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ultrafilter posted:

A few 80s/90s power metal bands worth looking at: Stratovarius, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Rage, Iced Earth, Accept, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Savatage, Dragonforce, Symphony X, Kamelot, Falconer

I legit thought that I was the only person who knew about Rage.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kvlt! posted:

Babatunde Olatunji?
Thanks I listened to this in the afternoon while working and it was great.

me your dad posted:

The True Romance soundtrack (by Hans Zimmer) may fit the need. I feel like I recommended this to someone else recently but I have the memory of a gnat so I don't know.
True Romance soundtrack is a good shout. Quite unusual.

Hooplah posted:

there's a post very similar to your request from a while back. check out the responses there. (i mentioned konnakol which is pretty crazy stuff)
I will give konnakol a listen while working tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chas McGill posted:

Thanks I listened to this in the afternoon while working and it was great.

True Romance soundtrack is a good shout. Quite unusual.

I will give konnakol a listen while working tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

I think Hans Zimmer did some stuff on the Rain Man soundtrack that was similar.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Beeswax posted:

First thing that comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2rfZdqinIA

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

abelwingnut posted:

Edguy, and by extension the frontman's "metal opera" project, Avantasia.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Beeswax posted:

What you NEED, my friend, is BREEZIN by motherfuckin GEORGE BENSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgxL-khJ--Q

THIS

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

What you NEED, my friend, is BREEZIN by motherfuckin GEORGE BENSON

THIS

kingcobweb posted:

First thing that comes to mind:

Thank you I foresee pleasant mornings!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Looking for melodic screamo, like Foxing, Snowing, Deafheaven, Old Gray. Lotta emo bands are just singing, and a lot of screamo bands are just thrashing power chords.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 29, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

loopsheloop posted:

Looking for melodic screamo, like Foxing, Snowing, Deafheaven, Old Gray. Lotta emo bands are just singing, and a lot of screamo bands are just thrashing power chords.

Not screamo but you might like Defeater, it's melodic hardcore

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

loopsheloop posted:

planning for burial is kinda like deafheaven but slower. there's also the album return to annihilation by locrian, which is kinda down a similar vein but more drone-y

also lol i started looking for more bands like deafheaven before realizing you're looking for twinkly midwest emo with screaming, so probably listen to glocca morra and algernon cadwallader (if you dont already, but you probably do)

old gray also reminds me a ton of la dispute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1reeJ1NRo

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Hooplah posted:

planning for burial is kinda like deafheaven but slower. there's also the album return to annihilation by locrian, which is kinda down a similar vein but more drone-y

also lol i started looking for more bands like deafheaven before realizing you're looking for twinkly midwest emo with screaming, so probably listen to glocca morra and algernon cadwallader (if you dont already, but you probably do)

old gray also reminds me a ton of la dispute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA1reeJ1NRo

You're not wrong lol, although I am craving something heavier than twinkles. I'm liking the Planning for Burial I'm listening to

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm listening to more of old gray, and actually the frenetic energy is making me think you'll like the number 12 looks like you. they certainly aren't just thrashing power chords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW6tw9zLmFM

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

The Akira soundtrack was done by a group called Geinoh Yamashirogumi and a lot of their other stuff incorporates gamelan elements like the Akira soundtrack does. Ecophony Rinne and Ecophony Gaia are good albums from them. You could also check out the band Macha, they were basically indie rock dudes who got super into gamelan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwQ_e4WrQQ Actual gamelan is probably worth a listen too although it's going to be way less accessible than groups like this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

A human heart posted:

The Akira soundtrack was done by a group called Geinoh Yamashirogumi and a lot of their other stuff incorporates gamelan elements like the Akira soundtrack does. Ecophony Rinne and Ecophony Gaia are good albums from them. You could also check out the band Macha, they were basically indie rock dudes who got super into gamelan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwQ_e4WrQQ Actual gamelan is probably worth a listen too although it's going to be way less accessible than groups like this.

Ah yeah, Geinoh Yamashirogumi should have been my first port of call, but it seems like they only have that Kaneda track on spotify, I'll have to look them up elsewhere.

That macha track is very good too, thanks.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

kingcobweb posted:

Seattle's KEXP is a non-profit with free streaming online and is practically synonymous with indie rock (though they have a wide range of shows): https://www.kexp.org/listen/
Thank you, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Semi-related to the melodic percussion question, there's a sound that I've tried to find more of that I can't quite put my finger on. It's also heavily percussive but sort of meditative and atmospheric. I feel like random games back in the late 90s/early 2000s used it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgT87vkHGOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u60HCk4NX_0&t=237s

Tool also sort of captured a similar vibe in Reflection, especially the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzVuHqsNoM

I guess like what would you call something that's moody, atmospheric, sorta tribal-ish, and is that really a thing outside of like various video game OSTs? The closest I could find a while back was like some random long-rear end youtube upload for people to listen to while tripping balls on shrooms. (this one was it I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTZRmxWNFGE)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

shoeberto posted:

Semi-related to the melodic percussion question, there's a sound that I've tried to find more of that I can't quite put my finger on. It's also heavily percussive but sort of meditative and atmospheric. I feel like random games back in the late 90s/early 2000s used it:

Tool also sort of captured a similar vibe in Reflection, especially the intro:

I guess like what would you call something that's moody, atmospheric, sorta tribal-ish, and is that really a thing outside of like various video game OSTs? The closest I could find a while back was like some random long-rear end youtube upload for people to listen to while tripping balls on shrooms. (this one was it I think:

Closest thing I can think of is Christoph de Babylon, which (fairly uniquely) combines the percussion of jungle with dark ambient:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSEngo_f1pU

This is also maybe too obvious of one so sorry if you're already familiar, but maybe Burial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCvu1QQ2Slg

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I guess like what would you call something that's moody, atmospheric, sorta tribal-ish, and is that really a thing outside of like various video game OSTs? The closest I could find a while back was like some random long-rear end youtube upload for people to listen to while tripping balls on shrooms. (this one was it I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTZRmxWNFGE)

As the title of that last YouTube video suggests, look into "pysbient". One of the more popular groups in that genre is Shpongle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WP-55FLNk

In general, Googling "psybient" will get you tons of results if that's what you're looking for.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Thanks for the recs, but it's not quite what I was going for. I think I'm looking for something even more ambient, really sort of like those video game OSTs. Maybe I just need some OST recs?

Aside from that, I'll be adding Burial and Christoph de Babylon to my usual electronic rotation. They are absolutely my jam. I've already listened to Shpongle pretty extensively - really enjoyed it but it's something I have to be in the mood for. I tend to listen to a lot of Infected Mushroom to get that same vibe without feeling like I need to commit to a 50+ minute experience like the Shpongle albums are.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hello, I am awful at identifying music genres. Can anyone recommend more music that sounds kind of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbR8TtVWReI

I like the bass, I like the dance-y elements, I am not looking for for videogame music or chiptune stuff which is all the algorithms are finding for me.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Xun posted:

Hello, I am awful at identifying music genres. Can anyone recommend more music that sounds kind of like this?

I like the bass, I like the dance-y elements, I am not looking for for videogame music or chiptune stuff which is all the algorithms are finding for me.

I don't know of anything that sits in middle ground but it made me think of Justice which is electronic dance stuff with punchy basslines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXj8FM7lTrw

And theres Wulfpeck which is funky and uses some electronic elements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C430AWTvMPs

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Xun posted:

If you give the algorithm a little kick farther toward weeb remix/future funk stuff you might find something closer to what you're looking for. Some of it may go a bit too disco for your liking, but there's a lot of it to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ09T8ROvds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJtGnnhYZOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ULfFe9_D1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-DCn9Vao0

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If I like rappers like Big Sean, Pusha T, and sometimes Vic Mensa, what else might I be into? I feel like rap has drifted away from me for the past 10 years but if there's still people making it doing a style I like, there's gotta be more somewhere, right?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I like rappers like Big Sean, Pusha T, and sometimes Vic Mensa, what else might I be into? I feel like rap has drifted away from me for the past 10 years but if there's still people making it doing a style I like, there's gotta be more somewhere, right?

Run the Jewels?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

i bet you'd like denzel curry. zuu is pretty much flawless imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT6yOIXfxVI

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBRVuHtu6Jg this song is so smooth

Parachute fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Where is the Surf thread? Name me some Surf bands that are great besides MOAM. My favorite guitar tone is teh surf so I need some inspirationing.