Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Finished episode 19 of Owl House today, and I gotta say, I love this series so much.

Concur.

I'm waiting for the spoiler-moratorium to be over because I have a lot of Thoughts To Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I hope TOH season two is miles better because they really dropped the ball in that ending. It was just kind of... nothing. I also feel like Luz is getting a bit too close to somehow succeeding every time, even when the story blatantly sets things up against her. But then again I wasn't too keen on the series before the finale either, I just hoped the finale at the very least would stick the landing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Concur.

I'm waiting for the spoiler-moratorium to be over because I have a lot of Thoughts To Discuss.

Go for it dude, it's been almost a week long plus enough people have posted stuff without tags

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm curious if this is going to be similar to the Diamonds in Steven Universe where the most common complaint was the speed of their redemption, but really it wasn't intended as a redemption on its own and it was very clear they still had miles to go. I think a similar thing may be happening with Owl House. Lillith has only started to make up for her bullshit, but it doesn't mean she's now one of the gang like nothing happened. It's like with Willow and Amity, she's taken the first step and Eda appreciates that, but she'll probably have issues ever trusting her again properly - their relationship is still in ruins, and it's Lillith's fault, but she's trying to pick up the pieces, there are just a LOT of them. Luz and King will probably not be overly comfortable around her either, Luz will probably outright hate her for a long time. I think the climax being lackluster was because it wasn't fully intended as one outside of the fight between Eda and Lil, its more of a turning point in the characters journey. The hinge between seasons 1 and 2 that will take them onto an entirely new path.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lilith has to sleep on her little sister's couch and interact with Hooty every day for the rest of her life.

Her hell has only just begun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kind of hoping that Lillith grows close with King, maybe even filling in the gaps in her knowledge of demonology with him :3

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Lilith is, I think, going to be roaming the world looking for a curse cure, although I'm actually wondering if the owl curse cure is somehow related to the house itself. Like maybe Hooty/the house generated and planted that curse in order to snare a resident with an unconscious psychic pull.

Anyone think there's a continent somewhere, or maybe a door to Somewhere Else? The Boiling Isles just don't seem that big. Like definitely not big enough to support more than two magic schools.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Beachcomber posted:

Anyone think there's a continent somewhere, or maybe a door to Somewhere Else? The Boiling Isles just don't seem that big. Like definitely not big enough to support more than two magic schools.

Yes. Because every Bionis needs a Mechonis.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Owl House has actually good fight scenes, which is something I haven't in cartoons since probably Avatar.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Still love that slightly too long pause where you can tell he’s trying to think of an appropriate response :allears:

that plus the response itself being something so characteristically un-zuko like lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Scott Menville does a lot of bit parts on Avatar, and every time, it's hey, there's Robin!

He's a random soldier in one of the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and it's incredibly distracting to hear Robin freak out about Gray Fox before he's murdered.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Owl House has actually good fight scenes, which is something I haven't in cartoons since probably Avatar.

And wizard duels are not just people firing lasers at each other, and wizard sports are again, not just regular sports. This world actually feels magical, which makes me forgive a lot.

I think that Amity is that shadowy figure at the end of season 1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

I haven't checked out Owl House yet, this might sell me on it. Any particular ones you would recommend?

I don't mind spoilers.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't checked out Owl House yet, this might sell me on it. Any particular ones you would recommend?

I don't mind spoilers.

The one in an episode with a title about a Grom night.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I watched Infinity Train season 1 a month or two ago and thought it was neat but mostly forgot about it. I ended up plowing through seasons 2 and 3 a couple nights ago and WOW, I'm totally sold on the show. I'm still digesting how dark things got in book 3, jeez.

Hope it gets another season, but I've been burned on TV shows getting cancelled enough times before to know when the writing's on the wall.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So the first couple of Amphibia are kind of not great compared to some other stuff recommended in this thread, does it get better? What draws you to it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It is a lot slower compared to other shows, but it has some interesting aspects to it, like the initial mystery of the other two humans shown in the intro sequence. It's also got some cute throughlines that I like for example Anne initial state being grossed out by the idea of eating bugs but after a few months living in Amphibia she develops a more complex palate and even has a few favourite brands of frog food :3: I think one of my favourite lines is when the fam go out for Crickets and Cream icecream and she's like "There was a time when I would have picked out the cricket parts... THAT TIME HAS PASSED! *chomp*"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

So the first couple of Amphibia are kind of not great compared to some other stuff recommended in this thread, does it get better? What draws you to it?

I love frogs and giant birds.

And exploration of a funny fantastical world that darkly mirrors our own but still has charms all its own, with a fish out of water story that has a strong lead, and balances a mix of irreverent episodic adventures with hints of serialized mystery that culminate in longer season end plot arcs. It's definitely something that will either grow on you or won't, I think, and there's only one way to find out.

But it definitely helps to love frogs and swamps. Just the name Hop Pop makes me smile sometimes. I think its humor is a big draw as well for me, it being two 11s instead of a 24 show means it has more jokes faster than a more dramatic serialized show does.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 5, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

It is a lot slower compared to other shows, but it has some interesting aspects to it, like the initial mystery of the other two humans shown in the intro sequence. It's also got some cute throughlines that I like for example Anne initial state being grossed out by the idea of eating bugs but after a few months living in Amphibia she develops a more complex palate and even has a few favourite brands of frog food :3: I think one of my favourite lines is when the fam go out for Crickets and Cream icecream and she's like "There was a time when I would have picked out the cricket parts... THAT TIME HAS PASSED! *chomp*"

I really like how Hop Pop always refers to anne as his adoptive granddaughter now. I think it started before the end of season 1 but it definitely feels like a relationship thats been cemented by what theyve been through together and the slow build of it feels genuine as a relationship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw this and picked it up.

I’m slightly mad this didn’t come out when I was a kid because yo...

But I’m also nerding out because there’s so much poo poo I’ve never seen before, like the show’s original bible, and episode ideas. Tons of character sketches and behind the scenes tidbits. I’m not super far into it, but skimming through through it covers everything from the comics to the movie which owns.

Also Das Boo’s dope af garage artwork has a whole page to it so, that’s pretty great.

Ima go back to deep diving.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't mind spoilers.

They're mostly at the end of the season, the rest is fun goofing around.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Honestly, Anne relationship with the Planters is so cute and wholesome and I love it. As Marcey put it, "I love the found family trope."

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.

CelticPredator posted:

I saw this and picked it up.

I’m slightly mad this didn’t come out when I was a kid because yo...

But I’m also nerding out because there’s so much poo poo I’ve never seen before, like the show’s original bible, and episode ideas. Tons of character sketches and behind the scenes tidbits. I’m not super far into it, but skimming through through it covers everything from the comics to the movie which owns.

Also Das Boo’s dope af garage artwork has a whole page to it so, that’s pretty great.

Ima go back to deep diving.

I just got this as well and I'm over the moon with how much good stuff is packed into the book about the show. I was a little afraid it was gonna be mostly on the recent film but most is about the original show with just the right amount of new stuff about the movie at the end. One of best art book purchases I'm made in a while, whole heartily recommend.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I like the characters, I think they're fun and have a nice dynamic with eachother. I like that it's a very nontraditional kind of fantasy world, both the fact that it's frogs who live in peril from giant bugs and mammals and the fact that instead of trying to evoke medieval England, it's going more for 17th century America (at least, without the guns). I really like the general aesthetics of the world, from the violin music to the color palette being a really pleasant balance of subtler colors. I think it's funny and charming.

It doesn't really get rolling on its overarching plot quickly, but I think all the Disney cartoon shows tend to spend a lot of time mucking about with one-offs before getting into more long-term plots, and even after there's a lot more one-offs, so you have to enjoy the interim. Hop-Pop tells Anne on the outset that there's no getting out of the Valley for a long while. I feel like a lot of it's more about Anne getting accustomed to the world she's in and vice versa. There's a lot of development in that respect. I guess if you're feeling impatient I'd say at least hold out until you've watched the snail episode, and if you're still not grabbed and want to get to some more overarching narrative, skip to Plantar's Last Stand, Toad Tax, or Prison Break.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah for me I watched all the plot stuff with Amphibia first and I really enjoyed the Sasha storyline but I started to love the characters enough that I went back and watched most of the other episodes. Amphibia is kind of like Steven Universe in that the first season is a lot of 'townie' episodes which are actually building up the characters and Anne's relationship with the town (except half of it actually is filler to be honest).

The humor is great especially whenever it gets real dark out of nowhere or when the characters do something obviously stupid that gets highlighted as obviously stupid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With Owl House I was rewatching the clip where Amity accidentally sets Willows memories on fire by trying to hide her old relationship with her, and I like that it basically represents their entire relationship - they started out in a good place, Amity screwed it up by distancing herself from Willow but probably regretted it ever since despite her behaviour towards her (in the episode, instead of her leaving and things getting worse without her knowledge, she sees the mistake immediately and fails to correct it although she tries really hard to). Her putting out the literal fire basically represents that she and Willow can finally start rebuilding the bridge that Amity burnt years ago. That whole episode is kind of her major turning point too, life kicking her in the teeth and telling her in no uncertain terms that her behaviour cannot continue.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, might explain a lot about the Blight family dynamic that her older siblings who bully her and reinforce her terrible attitudes are twins, with very similar attitudes; it doesn't matter how many people they alienate and that no one else wants to be around them, because they always have each other. While Amity on the other hand doesn't have anyone, besides the unreliable allegiance of the jock bitch posse. And going from picking on Amity to helping her learn (albeit not doing a very good job of it) is a pretty realistic dynamic with a dysfunctional family, where they consider Amity a valid target but they're not going to be antagonistic all the time, especially if she starts to stand up for itself and ruin the fun.

The Boiling Isles seem to have a very social darwinistic attitude which seems familiar, but then you realise it's basically just a slightly more honest version of life under capitalism.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd love if Amity started testing out glyphs by pranking her family with them to stretch a bit and mildly rebel. Like her older sister opens a cupboard, grabs a cereal box and touching the box activates a hidden light glyph that blinds her, or an ice glyph that freezes her hand to the box. Her father goes to pick up the newspaper and touching it causes it to burn away to nothing because of the glyph on the back page.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how of Amity's former Mean Girls Jock Squad, only Boscha is portrayed as an out-and-out jackass.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Boiling Isles seem to have a very social darwinistic attitude which seems familiar, but then you realise it's basically just a slightly more honest version of life under capitalism.

I have seen it pointed out that Belos is only one letter away from Bezos...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Theory about the Emperor in the Owl House: is he maybe another human who has been stranded on the island? If he has to take magic power from outside sources it would explain why he's drinking something magic-looking out of that small animal in one scene, and his magic staff looks very technological compared to the other magic staves in the show. He's always wearing a mask, and he's interested in the human world. And he showed up out of nowhere fifty years ago with very outsider views on how society should work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Theory about the Emperor in the Owl House: is he maybe another human who has been stranded on the island? If he has to take magic power from outside sources it would explain why he's drinking something magic-looking out of that small animal in one scene, and his magic staff looks very technological compared to the other magic staves in the show. He's always wearing a mask, and he's interested in the human world. And he showed up out of nowhere fifty years ago with very outsider views on how society should work.

That's very much where I'm at from the minute I saw the staff

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Belos feels close to Belenos, and we already got the Hecate statues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Red Bones posted:

And he understands how Luz might view him pretty much immediately, isn't too surprised by the way she uses magic... would not be surprising if there's some Wizard of Oz allusions intended.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1302287677752897541

That's a really rough production schedule for an animated series, wow.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jesus, that's an anime production schedule.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they were that pressed, they probably should've gone for one at a time instead of two to make a full half hour.

I sure hope the next episode doesn't have like a giant dragonfly ramming into Newtopia castle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, while I was hoping for new eps this week, I don't begrudge them the break. Something I like in general is that while the status quo doesn't often change THAT much, it does evolve, for instance we now know that Polly's legs will come in at some point, maybe by season 3 or 4, maybe never during the show proper but she does have an expected due date. Also Sprig has a new option available whenever he's ready - Newtopia U wants him REALLY badly, and he's admitted that maybe when he's older he may become interested in it, he's just too young right now to appreciate it.

I also love that the character's opinions are informed by the new world but aren't shaped by them - Marcy gets how Newtopia thinks and loves working with them, but also understands that they severely underestimate the importance of things like the farming community because she has outside knowledge of how medieval societies function that gives her more perspective than the Newtopians tend to have.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 5, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Scott Menville does a lot of bit parts on Avatar, and every time, it's hey, there's Robin!

he's one of those voice actors who seems to be forever ruined because of one distinct voice, and for me that's robin. i legit can't hear him as anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s almost impossible to take the Boss from MGS3 completely seriously ever again once you find out her voice actress is also Pearl from Spongebob.