Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that The Matrix came out the same year as The Phantom Menace, then when it came time for Reloaded the Wachowskis decided what the world needed was an interlude where Morpheus takes a trip to Zion to deal with some bureaucracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the early aughts should have leaned all in and just had movies with dom toretto reading filibusters like a skit from the Critic but hollywood is cowards

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hodgepodge posted:

the root word of aesir is the same as asian and east, the direction which the runes (writing) they brought did in fact come from

the norse worshipped the asians

ancient korean hyperempire confirmed

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's funny that The Matrix came out the same year as The Phantom Menace, then when it came time for Reloaded the Wachowskis decided what the world needed was an interlude where Morpheus takes a trip to Zion to deal with some bureaucracy.

What’s wrong with going to see Cornel West?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

* laugh track *

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its weird as hell seeing pop culture stuff from twenty or thirty years ago that was considerably more upfront about political dysfunction of this racist devil cracker nation but somehow today is the era of woke media because theres

huh

i was going to say black superheroes then i remembered that there were black superhero movies in the nineties too lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

its weird as hell seeing pop culture stuff from twenty or thirty years ago that was considerably more upfront about political dysfunction of this racist devil cracker nation but somehow today is the era of woke media because theres

huh

i was going to say black superheroes then i remembered that there were black superhero movies in the nineties too lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bAWWmLfkWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WukhbpAhvrc

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

huh

blade is black panther except revolutionary instead of being about a cia backed coup neutralizing the threat of afrofuturism

Serf
May 5, 2011

this seven second clip of blade has more to say than the entirety of black panther

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjUpSuD-_2A

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

huh

Modern liberalism is all about erasing progress in order to appear groundbreaking

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
batman got rona

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I can’t wait for PG13 Blade in the MCU!

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nNWZJfJiw

Looks by the numbers but competently made

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
i thought that trailer already came out

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It looks more colorful than every other Craig-Bond

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Some Guy TT posted:

huh

Part of me wants to say 9/11 kind of caused a pause on media critical of American stuff (unless you threw in some kind of foreign interloper pulling the strings) and the eventual state of media corporate capitalism treating old things as new things.

Also because lots of media companies like Disney and Netflix know how to weave a pretty carpet over their rot-infested floors by acting woke but doing the absolute bare minimum with civil rights and minority representation.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it’s a low bar, but for better or for worse, killmonger’s representation in bp says more about blackness (american, specifically), than any of the other black superhero movies combined, maybe minus cinema classic blankman.

it’s just also real visible where feige and disney grabbed the wheel from coogler and ensured it adhered to the formula so it never got too interesting or too alienating for white audiences

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

double negative posted:

it’s a low bar, but for better or for worse, killmonger’s representation in bp says more about blackness (american, specifically), than any of the other black superhero movies combined, maybe minus cinema classic blankman.

it’s just also real visible where feige and disney grabbed the wheel from coogler and ensured it adhered to the formula so it never got too interesting or too alienating for white audiences

Like what, they were shooting chronologically and the execs were intimidated by the blackness and truth radiating from the screen and changed the ending before they got there?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

double negative posted:

i mean blade is about a black dude with a trust fund* who defeats neoliberalism** by choosing solidarity*** over being obama

*is half-vampire
**a new movement within vampire society which advocates openly using humanity as livestock
***humanity

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

General Dog posted:

Like what, they were shooting chronologically and the execs were intimidated by the blackness and truth radiating from the screen and changed the ending before they got there?

more like it has to be real clear the only
interesting character is bad and wrong so they gotta make him do dumb poo poo that makes that explicit (kill his girlfriend, burn the herbs)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I thought a problem with Killmonger was that there's a real disconnect between the performance and what the script tells us about the character. Like we get this backstory that he's this hardened, calculating veteran CIA operative, whereas Michael B. Jordan portrays him as kind of this brash, impulsive child. I think both are interesting in concept, but I don't see how Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger gains the resume and rep that we're told he has. I don't think it breaks the movie, but it is odd.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

General Dog posted:

I thought a problem with Killmonger was that there's a real disconnect between the performance and what the script tells us about the character. Like we get this backstory that he's this hardened, calculating veteran CIA operative, whereas Michael B. Jordan portrays him as kind of this brash, impulsive child. I think both are interesting in concept, but I don't see how Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger gains the resume and rep that we're told he has. I don't think it breaks the movie, but it is odd.

no disagreement here.

the point of killmonger imo and the only real interesting thing bp does, has to do with the relationship between black americans and africans, or more particularly, the relationship black americans have to their image of the continent, it just dissolves in the face of what an mcu film is required to do

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean blade is about a black dude with a trust fund* who defeats neoliberalism** by choosing solidarity*** over being obama

*is half-vampire
**a new movement within vampire society which advocates openly using humanity as livestock
***humanity

I thought Nomak and the reapers were leading a labor revolution against the vampire establishment in part II?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MoaM posted:

batman got rona

don’t worry, he only got it to troll the Twilight fans

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

double negative posted:

no disagreement here.

the point of killmonger imo and the only real interesting thing bp does, has to do with the relationship between black americans and africans, or more particularly, the relationship black americans have to their image of the continent, it just dissolves in the face of what an mcu film is required to do

Also there's no way to make an ultra-advanced powerful utopian isolationist African nation not seem lovely when black people are getting screwed over in the rest of the world. Like, arming untrained people with fancy bazookas and fighter planes to start a race war is a bad idea when nukes exist (also you know, race war is bad) but with how they present Wakanda they could do a hell of a lot more than a STEM school in Oakland.

22 Eargesplitten has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Sep 4, 2020

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also there's no way to make an ultra-advanced powerful utopian isolationist African nation not seem lovely when black people are getting screwed over in the rest of the world. Like, arming untrained people with fancy bazookas and fighter planes to start a race war is a bad idea when nukes exist (also you know, race war is bad) but with how they present Wakanda they could do a hell of a lot more than a STEM school in Oakland.

and that's part of why killmonger is so mad, though it definitely goes over the top in terms of who we're told he's supposed to be. it's tied up with the anger of a stolen heritage - he had to grow up as a black kid in oakland instead of getting to be royalty in wakanda, and despite all of wakanda's power, they don't do anything to help their estranged children. that's also why we meet him stealing artifacts back from a museum. that's why i think this movie is more about the black american relationship to africa than africa itself, but the way bp plays out just makes it more of an expression of how that energy has been commodified, much like black is king.

also, i like martin freeman, but they could've instantly improved the movie by removing his character, but man, how will white audiences cope without a white character doing good guy stuff, plus we already introduced him in some earlier marvel poo poo so haha coogler, sorry, he's a package deal

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Malkina_ posted:

I thought Nomak and the reapers were leading a labor revolution against the vampire establishment in part II?

The Important thing to remember about the Anarchs/Carthians is that they don't see humanity as the workers but rather as the means of (blood) production.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

the brash, impulsive children in the US arsenal are the SEALs

it would have all worked if they made Kilmonger a navy seal instead of CIA

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

the brash, impulsive children in the US arsenal are the SEALs

it would have all worked if they made Kilmonger a navy seal instead of CIA

wasn't Killmonger some kind of special ops? that the bumps on his skin were all from kills he made in Afghanistan and points unknown?

it was the Martin Freeman character who was CIA

EDIT: nevermind I misread what you meant

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like there's been a big seachange with attitudes towards pop culture, at least on this forum, in the last few years; that critical analysis has gone from something people see as alien, disturbing, and even inherently aggressive, to something that's fun to play around with. You teach people about subtext and sooner or later they realise that artsy media isn't actually trying to be hostile or snooty, it's openly and eagerly inviting engagement and conversation, and that comedy, parody and other light-hearted media can be no less deep and complex than dark and moody French cinema. (and that there's crossover)

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I'm rewatching The Host (2006, Bong Joon-Ho) and it's much better than I remember

And I had totally forgotten the subplot where a virus outbreak forces the entire Korean public to wear masks at all times (although note that the virus is a deep state hoax) :crnasickos:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

fun fact: the host is based on a real incident of a us military official forcing a korean mortician to pour a shitload of chemicals down the drain against their will

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just got out of tenet and its total crap. definitely not worth dying for. one of the most incoherent movies I've seen in theaters

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Funny how the villain of tenet is a cartoon Russian billionaire out of a bond movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Malkina_ posted:

Funny how the villain of tenet is a cartoon Russian billionaire out of a bond movie

Tenet is basically a high-concept Bond movie (to a greater extent than Inception was)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I mean it was a big fat mess. no emotional connection to or between any of the characters, gimmick both poorly explained and underutilized. I literally had no loving idea what was going on for the last 40 minutes. do not recommend.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I generally love Nolan, but I had totally gotten lost and checked out by the end of this one. I’m sure if I watched it 2 or 3 more times, with subtitles, everything would eventually make sense, but I don’t think it would be an especially rewarding exercise.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The movie is mediocre to a sizable chunk of Nolan fans too, it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

robert pattinson go back to indie flix please or do another with james gray about some weird explorer poo poo