Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah as long as there's plenty of choice, including celibacy, I don't mind the romance thing. I'll probably start out rolling my eyes at the whole thing, and five hours later I'm grinding for whatever inane gift my waifu needs to get the relationship meter up

Some of the relationships are amazing just for how hard you can dunk on your romance partner for being a stupid dick at certain points.

There's a ton of content, like 3-4x playthroughs can all feel different enough if you go hard in one direction or another with the role playing choices. There are a few categories that see most of the unique content & responses.

- Female Dalish Elf Mage: Also includes the romance with the character who will only romance a female elf and no one else (tons of lore content)

- Devoutly Religious Qunari: Everyone from the pope down just goes "wait what?" when you proudly proclaim you are the divinely chosen messiah to save the world and get more confused then angry

The high points are the world travel banter, which may or may not have been bugfixed in the official version to occur more frequently then once every 8 hours (exaggeration) and the NPC character quests.

Oh, and get the mod that completes the war table instantly, the whole "wait 2-8 realtime hrs" is dumb as hell as is most war table missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how far am I through death stranding's story if I just met heart man? this game is really good. I'm enjoying getting 5 stars on all the bases.

also, is there free play after the ending or do you just have to load a save right before the end?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how far am I through death stranding's story if I just met heart man? this game is really good. I'm enjoying getting 5 stars on all the bases.

also, is there free play after the ending or do you just have to load a save right before the end?

You're quite far. Heartman is chapter 9, right? That's the last normal chapter; from ch10 to the end of the game is 6-8 hours, and you can't really do any normal deliveries in that time.

There is free play.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
A quick run down the memory lane makes me realize I had been an Ace Combat fan before Ace Combat even became a thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

My space game as a kid was escape velocity nova
:hf:

Freelancer was also pretty decent as I remember.

Antigravitas posted:

Eve is not a space game. It's a game about the social relationship of Internet Nerds with a thin veneer of space.
Eve is... Two games, I think.

There's being a peon, and then there's being high level enough to actually interact with the politics and stuff. But very few people get to play that game.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

Oh, and get the mod that completes the war table instantly, the whole "wait 2-8 realtime hrs" is dumb as hell as is most war table missions.

This is a must have. The timers are an obvious and obnoxious remnant of their original MMO-design dreams.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cross-Section posted:

Every time the impulse to reinstall hits me, my mind tries to guilt me into doing the entire series (despite the Dragon Age Keep being a thing) and then I throw up my hands in resignation because I don't have the time nor actual inclination to replay 3 long-ish RPGs

Probably for the best imo

Every time I think about replaying one of the Dragon Age games, I just remember collecting all the shards and get angry instead.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You couldn’t be more wrong. Star Control 2 exists.

And yet star control 2 has slutty space elves too. Coincidence?????

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jarvisi posted:

And yet star control 2 has slutty space elves too. Coincidence?????
Star Control 2 has green-skinned space babes because Captain Kirk had them. Mass Effect has them because Bioware.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Dragon Age Inquisition has bland gameplay. If you're a CRPG nut maybe it's better on higher difficulties. If you're thinking it's going to be more of an ARPG then you're going to dislike it.

There are lots of fun characters to meet and you can get sucked into the lore. Visually, the maps really look good but it's mostly just in service of a collectathon. you'll be pinging the ground alot looking for collectible stuff.

It has some good humour in it. The story goes on for ages and it's enjoyable to go along with it. Getting to know the characters and exploring the wilderness is the best part of the game but fighting the same group of monsters from the fade is grating.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

A couple of weeks ago the newsfeed disappeared from my library. I know some people here don't like it, but I actually want it back. Does anyone know how I'd get it back?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Peewi posted:

A couple of weeks ago the newsfeed disappeared from my library. I know some people here don't like it, but I actually want it back. Does anyone know how I'd get it back?

Try clearing the web browser cache and cookies(in the steam client) then restarting steam.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Try clearing the web browser cache and cookies(in the steam client) then restarting steam.

I can't believe that actually worked.

Thanks!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Star Control had sexy Space Elves and their space ships were giant dildos. bioware is going to have to go hard to beat that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Philman posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition has bland gameplay. If you're a CRPG nut maybe it's better on higher difficulties. If you're thinking it's going to be more of an ARPG then you're going to dislike it.
it cant be any worse than greedfall's combat

or old republic for that matter, although i assume it's probably similarly hotbar/GCD-ish

even good CRPGs have uninteresting combat to me though, like i'm 20 hours into divinity original sin and i'm starting to get tired of the combat and it's not even the garbage RTWP combat most CRPGs have.

why can't they all just be victor vran, and why did the victor vran people have to move to city building games (surviving mars) instead of making victor vran 2

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried starting a new game of DA:I last night as a 2H sword dude and found the sword combat extremely loving sluggish and unfun. Probably going to restart as a mage or something and see if that sticks because woof.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
1992 was a magical time

edit: I forgot the Syreen ships' special ability was to convince enemy crew to fling themselves into the vacuum of space because they're so horny

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 4, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Cardiovorax posted:

Star Control 2 has green-skinned space babes because Captain Kirk had them. Mass Effect has them because Bioware.

Star Trek had them, Captain Kirk had them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

El_Elegante posted:

Star Trek had them, Captain Kirk had them
Yes and yes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Control made a fantastic first impression up until that first boss fight. Why the gently caress make TK the first ability and then set you up against an opponent who's specifically made to dodge it 90% of the time and then randomly eat poo poo to it 10% of the time? :psyduck:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I don't even know what the headline game is supposed to be here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

it seems like a solid all-rounder but yeah no major AAA game

shapeshifting detective is FMV game from the Doctor Dekker dev. and lethal league blaze probably really loving owns

i'm also interested in the occupation

i'll actually unpause this month even though it has generation zero lol

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I just built a new PC with an old video card in prep for new video cards later this month. I've got two questions: What are games that generally CPU limited? Besides Flight Simulator, which is already running way better.

Is there a way to easily have Steam clean up duplicate installs? I put old hard drives into the new PC and pointed Steam at the folders, but I had already installed a few games on the new PC before doing that, so I may have duplicate installs, but I'm not sure.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

I tried starting a new game of DA:I last night as a 2H sword dude and found the sword combat extremely loving sluggish and unfun. Probably going to restart as a mage or something and see if that sticks because woof.

I remember Archer being surprisingly great.

I liked DA:I quite a bit when I played it but I also can barely remember anything about it now. It's that kind of game, just slid right off my brain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Control made a fantastic first impression up until that first boss fight. Why the gently caress make TK the first ability and then set you up against an opponent who's specifically made to dodge it 90% of the time and then randomly eat poo poo to it 10% of the time? :psyduck:

this was infuriating. all the boss fights were, in their own way, but the way they made that fucker simply juke ever single thing you tossed at him, that was a real stinker.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

uber_stoat posted:

this was infuriating. all the boss fights were, in their own way, but the way they made that fucker simply juke ever single thing you tossed at him, that was a real stinker.

There's a specific point where he eats poo poo, I think it's just before he attacks. Took several deaths for me to find this out, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Lee posted:

There's a specific point where he eats poo poo, I think it's just before he attacks. Took several deaths for me to find this out, though.

That's the exact point I killed him at, actually. Blew off the entire last chunk of his health with one big throw while also being completely baffled as to why it worked that time and not any other time.

Talking to a friend and she's saying you can also exhaust his dodges between throwing and shooting enough stuff rapidly that you can then nail him.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chainclaw posted:

I just built a new PC with an old video card in prep for new video cards later this month. I've got two questions: What are games that generally CPU limited? Besides Flight Simulator, which is already running way better.

Is there a way to easily have Steam clean up duplicate installs? I put old hard drives into the new PC and pointed Steam at the folders, but I had already installed a few games on the new PC before doing that, so I may have duplicate installs, but I'm not sure.
Hardspace Shipbreakers is probably the most recently famous CPU murderer besides Flight Sim.

Anything else physics based, other example I can think of is pushing Total War game unit caps all the way up if your graphics card can oblige the rendering. As far as pure CPU horsepower goes you're more looking at weird things like Dwarf Fort, or post game Factorio. Or running Football Manager with every league active.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

That's the exact point I killed him at, actually. Blew off the entire last chunk of his health with one big throw while also being completely baffled as to why it worked that time and not any other time.

Talking to a friend and she's saying you can also exhaust his dodges between throwing and shooting enough stuff rapidly that you can then nail him.

was he the angry floating man? pretty sure you just need to throw two things at him in rapid succession and he'll eat poo poo on the second projectile every time

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't think there's a single game here that anyone is actually like, excited for. Not even a solid indie darling.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oxxidation posted:

was he the angry floating man? pretty sure you just need to throw two things at him in rapid succession and he'll eat poo poo on the second projectile every time

Apparently I wasn't throwing fast enough? :shrug: It's not well conveyed either way.

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think there's a single game here that anyone is actually like, excited for. Not even a solid indie darling.

It wouldn't be a Humble Monthly without someone claiming it has zero good games in it.

Impossible Lair is top notch stuff, but does have the downside of previously being an EGS freebie.

Forager is an idle-ish game that AFAIK is well-regarded assuming you're into those.

Evoland though, I have no idea why the gently caress that's in there. Edit: Oh okay, it's actually a bundled re-release of Evoland 1 and 2. That makes a bit more sense than it being just the first game by itself.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 4, 2020

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah this humble month is :( incarnate.
If someone offered me any key to choose out of these options, I'd have to go with the silly FMV one (and never install it) I guess.

e; Strange Brigade came with my videocard, looks like a respectable backlog filler too.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 4, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

GrandpaPants posted:

Lethal League whips rear end.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I like it how... No, actually I'm miffed that everyone seems to be ignoring Catherine completely here. I might even progress to disdain if that is not rectified soon.

Forager is cool. Golf With Your Friends is cool (friends not included). Impossible Lair is the good one. Plus Catherine. That's enough to make it a keeper, and the rest is a neat bonus.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Forager, Yooka-Laylee, Evoland and Catherine are fairly solid choices here. I haven't heard of the rest, but I guess I'd pick Golf and Lethal League as well going by goon opinions. It's definitely a lot better than the last month.

John Murdoch posted:

Forager is an idle-ish game that AFAIK is well-regarded assuming you're into those.
It's sort of an idle game that's not actually idle. You do stuff, but it doesn't take much in the way of active attention.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah this humble month is :( incarnate.
If someone offered me any key to choose out of these options, I'd have to go with the silly FMV one (and never install it) I guess.

e; Strange Brigade came with my videocard, looks like a respectable backlog filler too.

That's one of the best bundles I've seen in a while, if I didn't already have all those games and if Humble wasn't anti-vax I would be all over it.

I've played a ton of Forager, Golf with your Friends, and Strange Brigade. I really liked the first Lethal League and wouldn't mind the sequel, and I've heard good things about that Yooka-Laylee side scroller.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

John Murdoch posted:

I just ran upstairs and stood behind a pillar. He floated there at me and tried to throw things when I was peeking out but never really could do much damage. :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chainclaw posted:

[...] and if Humble wasn't anti-vax I would be all over it.

Huh? Got a link for that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

I've heard good things about that Yooka-Laylee side scroller.
It's basically like every classic Donkey Kong Country game you've ever played. Very charming, can't think of anything bad to say about the gameplay. Not my type of game anymore the way it used to be, but it's a solid recommendation if you like jump'n'run games even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Lee posted:

I’m pretty sure if you launch a projectile before it actually gets to you he can’t dodge. It definitely works on the regular enemy version of that guy.