Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

CJacobs posted:

Lest we forget the sins of the Dark Souls 3 collector's edition Estus Flask.

That is straight up garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
Got an e-mail from Steam that this is on sale, $44.99

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There was an image that like a poster for the game that had every kind of BT on it set up like movie posters that show all the characters, and I absolutely adored it but it wasn't available as a poster that I could find. Did they ever make it a poster?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Snowy posted:

Ok this is extremely tempting, only because I use respirators like this at work

poo poo i want this just for going to costco

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wheeee posted:

poo poo i want this just for going to costco

Yeah I need to see if my 3M half face is the right one. If it is I’m totally showing up to work in that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
speaking of mysterious items, do these backpack charms make a big difference? i have the bell one on now, can't tell what it does though.

unless, it attracts BTs. I've noticed them seemingly to gravitate toward me in clumps last few encounters but I thought it was because I was messing around with my new BT solution cord cutting. It's basically like really bad MGS stealth, AFAIK if you crouch and hold your breathe you basically can cut any cord safely. it seems they lust for cord cut freedom because once you pop one they seem to all want a peice of that action. That or theyre just weird in this couple snow areas.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was cruising around on my zippy little Trike, and I had a small mishap. While trying to turn around on a bridge, I ended up going over the side, and my Trike exploded.

Soooo, where can I find a new Trike?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was cruising around on my zippy little Trike, and I had a small mishap. While trying to turn around on a bridge, I ended up going over the side, and my Trike exploded.

Soooo, where can I find a new Trike?

You can build your own after completing order 23.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Khanstant posted:

speaking of mysterious items, do these backpack charms make a big difference? i have the bell one on now, can't tell what it does though.

unless, it attracts BTs. I've noticed them seemingly to gravitate toward me in clumps last few encounters but I thought it was because I was messing around with my new BT solution cord cutting. It's basically like really bad MGS stealth, AFAIK if you crouch and hold your breathe you basically can cut any cord safely. it seems they lust for cord cut freedom because once you pop one they seem to all want a peice of that action. That or theyre just weird in this couple snow areas.

They love it. They even give you a like for doing it.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Khanstant posted:

When I use a hematic grenade to kill one, any nearby BTs will wander over where it died to investigate.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Lest we forget the sins of the Dark Souls 3 collector's edition Estus Flask.

Please tell me that isnt real lol

e: oh my godddddddd

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope the developer ended up getting those things thrown through their windows

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love lovely collector's editions memorabilia so much. My favorite is probably the Max Payne 3 special edition statue. Not only does the face on the statue look more like Fred Flintstone than Max Payne:

They were also made of a very cheap plasticky material that didn't do well with any kind of heat, so on warm days Max would start to do a sick gangsta lean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8pQGprb3k

There are so

Many

pictures of these lovely statues leaning like he's about to do a bullet time dive

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 4, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I love lovely collector's editions memorabilia so much. My favorite is probably the Max Payne 3 special edition statue. Not only does the face on the statue look more like Fred Flintstone than Max Payne:

They were also made of a very cheap plasticky material that didn't do well with any kind of heat, so on warm days Max would start to do a sick gangsta lean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8pQGprb3k

There are so

Many

pictures of these lovely statues leaning like he's about to do a bullet time dive

"The Fall of Max Payne" is such a perfect title for that video goddamn.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm not drunk!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AxeManiac posted:

I'm not drunk!

I love this forum

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Khanstant posted:

the charms can make a big difference depending on which ones you use. one of them helped me max out my connection with BB significantly faster but i can't recall which. i think the bell lowers BT aggro radius but i was almost always running the gas mask so its really hard for me to tell for sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Made some more progress, still have no clue what the good goddamn is going on.

Ran into a couple of MULEs. Apparently they're obsessed with hoarding cargo? I got detected and had to fight them off. After knocking them out, I wondered why Sam didn't just kill them and be done, but then I remembered "oh yeah, dead bodies explode like atomic bombs or something".

I was given some bombs made of poop ( :darksouls:) to throw at BTs, but I couldn't tell if it did anything.

I got a trike! Neat! Is there any way to rappel this thing up a steep cliff, or am I stuck driving around?

Any non-spoilery tips for a newbie at this point? I took a look at the Before I Play page for DS and have been using that as an early guide so far.

Took me a bit to find this email I wrote for a friend a few months ago. In no particular order:

If you think you’re going for the plat, set it on hard as soon as you can. Difficulty only affects the enemy (BT, MULE, terrorist) encounters and doesn’t impact terrain, weather, or anything else. To get the plat you have to S-Rank 20 missions of each of the four types (Durability, Time, Quantity, and Retrieval) on hard. You can tell them apart by the small icon in the mission description as well as the hilighted line in the conditions.

Spoiler signs in the settings tell you where memory chips are in addition to warning you about imminent boss fights; once you’re into the postgame remember to turn them back on.

Bashing MULEs with packages and throwing packages at them are extremely powerful weapons. It damages the package, but if you’re tossing resource containers at them that’s less critical than delivery items.

You will probably end up with tons of Resin resources; they seem the most plentiful and least used. Ceramics and Metals are the two that you’ll probably have to scrounge for.

Likes don’t really matter for anything besides Bridge Link so don’t feel like you have to grind for them. Just play.

Don’t always run full speed ahead with the L and R buttons held down; if you go slower Sam will steady himself on terrain and often have an easier time getting around.

The Thermal Pad will turn itself off when you’re out of snow so you don’t have to keep equipping and stowing it.

The gas mask will muffle your breathing around BTs and make it harder for them to detect you

Poison fumes will damage everything you carry into them.

At one point you will get a suspicious delivery request; DO NOT SKIP THE CUTSCENES and pay attention because you get critical verbal guidance in the cutscenes that contradicts the mission guidance in the computer. If you played Metal Gear Solid you will not be surprised.

The pizza delivery missions are worth doing for the payout at the end of the sequence. They will be spread out through the last half of the game.

There are two shelters in the Eastern Area that are easy to miss; one of them is a pain to get to before you have zip lines so you might want to just come back and do his missions later.

Several non-critical shelters are really slow to advance, I found them but didn’t start working on them till the postgame.

Yes, that’s Conan O’Brien.

Don’t spend a lot of time grinding shelters to 5 stars, you get some rewards but it’s not worth stopping the story for most of them. I spent 20 hours getting the Engineer, Craftsman, and Elder up to 5 stars at the start of Chapter 3 and it wasn’t the best use of my time. The one exception is the Roboticist who is non-critical but worth advancing to the point where you get the all-terrain skeleton level 3 because you will hate the mountains otherwise.

Build roads as soon as you can, and don’t be shy about checking out supplies from shelters and DCs to do it. Pavers in areas on the network will get contributions from other players, though there are some in eluctant shelter territories so you’ll have to build those on your own if you don't connect the shelter first.

There’s a recurring mission in Lake Knot City that will give you plenty of ceramics.

When you are ready to clean out MULE camps you’ll find they tend to have a decent stock of resources.

Hitting people with vehicles doesn’t kill them unless you drive over them repeatedly. You’ll get a radio call when you kill someone. Try to avoid doing that, it’s bad.

If you start one of the Nightmares from a private room you can’t bail out in the middle, you will have to finish it before you can return to the private room.

At the end of the game it will seem like you can’t possibly do anything else but there is a postgame. There are a number of huge character plot reveals in the postgame; if you’re invested in the story and characters you really owe it to yourself to see them.

There are a bunch of fun interactions with friendly Porters when you start to see them around. To trade with them, put something in your hand when one is near. He’ll probably hold something; if you set your thing down and he’ll put his down and pick yours up. They seem to always be coming out of DCs when I’m zooming into one on a vehicle so slow down in the Central Area when you’re coming up on a DC entrance. They don't like weapons but will take just about anything else.

Zip lines make getting around much easier everywhere when you finally get them.

Put stuff in a private locker if you're going to go away from the DC or make multiple trips; get far enough away and the cargo will disappear.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

rabidsquid posted:

the charms can make a big difference depending on which ones you use. one of them helped me max out my connection with BB significantly faster but i can't recall which. i think the bell lowers BT aggro radius but i was almost always running the gas mask so its really hard for me to tell for sure

I believe it's the Windmill charm that helps with BB connection.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m not building much of anything or collecting many materials. Is that going to bit me in the rear end?

I just don’t often see the need for constructing anything, and when I do I’m not on the chiral network.

Also there always seems to be tons of materials available to fabricate all the stuff I need. If it all runs out at some point it’ll be funny when I have to switch over to just collecting tons of trash.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’m not building much of anything or collecting many materials. Is that going to bit me in the rear end?

I just don’t often see the need for constructing anything, and when I do I’m not on the chiral network.

Also there always seems to be tons of materials available to fabricate all the stuff I need. If it all runs out at some point it’ll be funny when I have to switch over to just collecting tons of trash.

If you’re only making tools and vehicles you probably won’t run short very often. Roads will tax you on ceramics and metals.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I finished the game today, and loved it. Probably one of the best games I've played in ages, if ever.

Maybe it's now time to dust off MGS V for that next hit of Kojima.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

I finished the game today, and loved it. Probably one of the best games I've played in ages, if ever.

Maybe it's now time to dust off MGS V for that next hit of Kojima.

That was my progression a few months ago. Some of it will be familiar though Snake move much more smoothly than Sam since terrain traversal isn’t the central mechanic of that game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

When I use a hematic grenade to kill one, any nearby BTs will wander over where it died to investigate.

It's kind of tragic, like, normally you hear someone die in a grenade you don't run toward it hoping for more. Poor guys :(

rabidsquid posted:

i think the bell lowers BT aggro radius but i was almost always running the gas mask so its really hard for me to tell for sure

This tracks, they both seem really forgiving lately on approach and even running away seems really easy, barely have to go a ways before they seem to forget. Haven't used gas mask much since it drains battery so fast, not surprised the gas mask helps cover your breathe, but it's definitely not something I'd noted yet, thanks!

I got the grenade launcher and multi rocket launcher earlier, kind of rolled my eyes at first and was just like "come on, give me the real non-lethal versions so I can actually use it." Wasn't pleased to find they came with non-lethal options. Guessing this is also how I'll take care of the new Giant BTs I've spotted that don't seem to die from grenades or let me cord-cut. The blood grenade launcher grenades sadly seem much weaker than just a well-pegged normal hermetic grenade. Multi-rocket I haven't messed with much, finally got the hang of locking on and getting a good trajectory once firing but ran out of ammo. Looking forward to playing with the sleepy gas and slick spray, not sure how many more MULE camps I have to run through after this though.

Protip: If you're trying to exhaust Sam for the special bloody-pee grenade, do not put on your freaky new headcrab hat.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Honestly I found the quad-rocket launcher wasn't worth the space it took up. Throw a grenade and then shoot through the blood cloud/stain on the BT and you get way better DPS. The quad-launcher can target multiple targets but there are no BT battles where that would actually help. It can target multiple spots on the big boss BTs but I still didn't see a major increase in damage over just the ol' paint and shoot. Kind of disappointing. I feel like it's almost a vestigial left-over from Kojima designing all of the MGS games, it never has a clear use-case.

I don't remember if I tried but can it be used in the Veteran's Nightmare? The Vietnam one has open spaces with foliage providing cover, it might be useful there. If I recall, the soldiers following the Combat Veteran will take damage from blood weapons just as well as normal ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah it's a massive item, which, fair, but when I can cram like dozens of grenades just into pouches on my backpack panel, it's hard to rationalizing bringing any other weapons ever besides the bola gun when you know youre going to mule town. It's a shame the bt stealth maneuver stresses BB out so much, kind of wish he got a little like or laughter from the BTs as well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish the game had more 'non lethal' ways to deal with BTs in general, to encourage the player to branch out instead of just bringing along some hematic grenades everywhere they go. Maybe stuff like letting you shoot a BT's cord instead of the goop ghost itself to sever it. Or an equipment item that lets you safely touch them so you can do melee counter QTEs a la the Skulls in MGSV.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 6, 2020

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Is there any major difference between cutting the cord and using hematic weapons to dispatch BTs?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really. Cutting the cord is implied to be 'non-lethal' and gets you a Like from the BT as it goes back to wherever it came from, but that's about it. Mechanically cord cutting is probably intended to be your last resort if you run out of BT-killin' items inside a zone. I think cutting the cord also always nets you a 'big' size chiral crystal to pick up but maybe that's just personal bias at work.

edit: btw here are the MGSV CQC counters on Skulls and parasites in case anyone here has not seen them, they fuckin rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGoAjD8ECaE

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 6, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat, I went non-lethal in MGSV so I don't even remember that cyber machete he pulls out of nowhere. IIRC the Skulls you could fight lethally to some degree to also get them weak enough for the non-lethal solution. Even so, hard to imagine one coming back after that brutal counter with a sword through her skull.

Random question about vehicles, was glancing around the early parts of a speedrun for areas I already completed. Once they unlock bikes/vehicles, their speed MO seems to be to build generator, get the thing up to max charge, and then super-boost to next location without stopping. Seems to drain the batteries real fast, and maybe its only for an initial boost after full charge? Or... is there a boost mode on all vehicles and I just ain't figured it out?? Dude in the speedrun zooming even in the crappy mule mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRB60cOmRpU

quote:

Hold the right trigger, R2, to accelerate with L2 handling brakes and reverse. Once you get moving you can click the left thumbstick to get a speed boost, though this will drain the battery rather quickly.

Well poo poo, wish I knew this when I was on my great highway building adventure, so many slow trips on infinbite energy roads... smh

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 6, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
Didn't realize until just now, but the Skulls were sort of like BTs, in that they were incredibly intimidating at first (due to being built up by the game) and gradually became less scary as I understood them. Eventually I just blasted the poo poo out of both without a problem. Neat carryover.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

gently caress I really need to start building more roads, I think I made this game way harder than it needed to be

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If it makes you feel better, I think low-level of road development is more the intended experience, you need to do a lot of resource hauling and gathering to complete them ahead of the story missions that would most benefit from them and in doing so you circumvent the intended drama of those story missions. Don't get me wrong, absolutely loved doing the laborious infrastructure work ahead of the game story and rolling in to story missions easy-breezy, but there are definitely a few missions where the roads were basically a cheat code.

There's a mission with deadly, fragile cargo and you're meant to find a safe way up this rocky slope with a winding river, rains, and BTs here and there. It's not hard to drive or run up there, it's hard to do it without rocking your cargo at all, so it's the challenge of that mission. However, if you've already completed roads in that area, it's just a really fun and scenic drive up a winding elevated highway, with a small snippet of a low roar track. EZ PZ S rank 0% damage in way under estimated time, not that it matters that particular dude is one of the hardest to impress in the game. I should say, I actually hosed this mission up once really bad in a hilariously dumb way. I got up the aforementioned smooth-rear end highway in my truck, pull up to the distro center, but too fast and kind of rammed into the traffic stopper things before they retracted fully, then I fucknig straight up bailed out of the truck into some danger roll I didn't even know was an option... I just reloaded from mission start save out of shame.

edit: Also, once you complete the fully highway (in the preemptive way i did) they immediately give you an item that makes your roads a joke and you never need ceramics/metals ever again basically.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just got this game, but it's clear I'm going to have to avoid this thread until I've got some progress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cobbsprite posted:

I just got this game, but it's clear I'm going to have to avoid this thread until I've got some progress.

Spoiler: If you use a freecam mod to noclip during the shower scenes you can see that unfortunately Norman in fact has no reedus.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I have done a few delivery runs in the central area, and managed to get 3 of the preppers on the network. I did a mission where I had to sneak in to MULE territory and recover some cargo. I wasn't too sneaky, and ended up just knocking them all out. Thanks to Souls games, my parry skills are top notch, so MULEs aren't much threat.

I strolled around the camp, and loaded up one of the trucks with goodies, and started driving back. Unfortunately, I ran out of juice pretty quickly, and I wasn't anywhere near a generator. Cue me, sitting and waiting for the battery to charge a bit, drive 50m, have the truck die, and repeat. I eventually made it to a paved road, and was able to cruise back in relative comfort.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Spoiler: If you use a freecam mod to noclip during the shower scenes you can see that unfortunately Norman in fact has no reedus.

Deadman already knew this.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ayy this game has DLSS support now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It had DLSS support from day one, they just updated it to the new DLSS version for the new Ampere GPUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neat! I wonder if the new Ampere DLSS changes anything besides just adding support for the relevant GPUs, like the upscaling method or optimization etc. Based on the size of the update I'm assuming it doesn't though.

edit: Before this update, Death Stranding ran on DLSS 2.0. I'm not sure if there's a way to check ingame if that's changed, but it may just be 2.0-with-Ampere-support now instead of being the full fledged 3.0.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 7, 2020