Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol drat, I guess I should smash that Call Allies button faster if there are no significant penalties beyond spending Prestige.

I declared war on a neighbor for a duchy containing a holy site and I could have called my brother-in-law in on the war. But I didn't do it so he declared his own separate war for the county with the holy site and now our armies are attacking the same enemy but we're considered hostile to each other :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

luxury handset posted:

i think it's possible if you dig around with the spymaster, now that secrets are persistent objects in the world then you'll have to hope enough people were involved in the plot for one of them to give up the secret

If you have a strong suspect you can always imprison and torture them until they give up all their secrets. Kidnap first if they're not in your court.

It's the Liam Neeson school of parental grieving.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, I’m crashing like every 10 minutes today. Sometimes I won’t even be able to load my save before it shuts down. I had a couple crashes before this, but nothing this bad. I’m playing through gamepass with the most recent update and well above the minimum specs. I made sure my antivirus wasn’t messing with it, per Paradox’s suggestion on their known issues page, but that didn’t help. I just want to play the game!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Managed to rule Finland from 1066 to 1287. Started out as Suomenusko Finnish, ended as a Catholic Nubian. Good times.

Those 8 girls extended my reign by 100 years since I managed to marry them off to most of the major players, meaning that every time I was attacked, I could call for help and the Holy Roman Empire would come and stomp the attacker's poo poo in. Great game.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Zane posted:

i dunno. i think ck3 has changed the rules to allow for only one tyranny free revocation in the event of crime or treason. that has been my experience.

My experience with this is the same, but one thing that is different is if you revoke a duchy (or kingdom) you also revoke the titles they hold underneath as well. I had a faction rise up demanding a new king of England (I'm emperor of Britannia) and I tried to murder the head of the faction. I failed to kill him twice. The faction got big enough to press the demand so I let them have it. Next time the murder plot fires it works because everyone hates their new king.

His heir is a kid so I could revoke the kingdom back. Net gain from this hostile faction was 5 counties and a duchy into my domain :hellyeah:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So, erh another probably obvious question. Yesterday someone showed a screen of education focuses that I didn't know existed. How do I bring that up?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is there an easy way/hotkey to switch to the vassal boundaries view? That was how I played a lot in CK2 when I was managing large empires and I can only really get to it by clicking the "political map" bubble in the bottom-right repeatedly

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

If you have a strong suspect you can always imprison and torture them until they give up all their secrets. Kidnap first if they're not in your court.

It's the Liam Neeson school of parental grieving.

One of the fun things about Crusader Kings in general is how you can often have very strong suspicions about who killed your character/heir, and never actually know if you're right. Being able to dig up secrets from characters only adds to this because you can drive yourself crazy trying to find the murderer and end up barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

There is a fun bit in the old Byzantium mega-LP where during the CK2 section there were two extremely significant assassinations of the active ruler, and the thread had all sorts of theories about who did it. When that part of the LP ended, the OP used a save editor to dig into the history files and find out who actually killed them and every single theory in the thread was wrong. One of the characters killed was a Russian culture ruler who inherited the Byzantine empire through marriage shenanigans and was absolutely hated by the entire Greek part of the empire and survived multiple attempted assassinations in a row - but it turns out he was killed by some petty Russian rival he had from his days kicking around as a ruler in the north. The other major assassination was of child empress that led to the end of the original dynasty (the LP just picked up by taking over as the new dynasty) by passing the title on to her patrilineally-married sister (who was the thread's prime suspect as the murderer). The person who did it? Some random lunatic courtier who had nothing to do with anything

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nuclear War posted:

So, erh another probably obvious question. Yesterday someone showed a screen of education focuses that I didn't know existed. How do I bring that up?

No screen shot, but if you look at a kid that you're a guardian of, and they're of the right age range (6-16 maybe) on the bottom left of their portrait is a button. It's where your lifestyle choice would be. That should bring up the education focus.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My spymistress poisoned herself. I admire her commitment to science.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man the AI for war allies is really dumb. They can never decide if they want to siege counties, chase armies, or just sit around doing nothing while suffering attrition. It's been a while since I've played CK2 but I'm pretty sure I remember one of the expansions giving you buttons to give your allies orders and it sucks that they didn't include that here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bori rulers hold 4 out of 5 holy sites but the reform is blocked by saying "You don't hold 3 sites" so I think it must be the former?

its personal or vassals. i did it by converting to a small faith (for example, that baltic one)

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

luxury handset posted:

i think it's possible if you dig around with the spymaster, now that secrets are persistent objects in the world then you'll have to hope enough people were involved in the plot for one of them to give up the secret

Thanks, I'll start snooping around some likely suspects.

Winklebottom posted:

My spymistress poisoned herself. I admire her commitment to science.

The dual reaction portraits really make this.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so i got my first vassal, gave it to my friend half brother. now it says i can go into an alliance with him.

why would i need an alliance? he's my vassal, im his boss right?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Just reached the end of my first "real" CK3 game, and I have to say that I am enjoying this so much more than CK2. I managed form the Kingdom Of Island before my first ruler died and get everything set up so that my heir inherited when he died. I completely hosed up all of the lower-level inheritance stuff, though, because my second ruler ended up with only the kingdom, duchy of Connacht, and county of Connacht. My siblings stole everything from me within six years, because I lost all of my military power after the succession.

A screenshot below contains one of my favorite moments of the game. Shortly after my first character died, I decided to host a feast to try to shore up vassal opinion . . . but ended up accidentally killing my sister and getting the murderer trait. I was able to convince everyone at the feast it was a horrible accident, but my wife ended up finding out. Never got exposed before I became unlanded.

Really enjoyed that first game, and sad it ended so soon because High King Michael Scott had some pretty solid stewardship potential.

I have a much better understanding of how the military stuff works, as well as fabricating and pressing claims. I am still pretty clueless about ways to generate claims outside of fabricating them, but looking forward to learning more about that.

One thing that's still kind of a complete mystery to me is the hostile schemes. I've tried only one murder plot so far, but it quickly got found out and lowered all of my vassal's opinions of me.

I want to start a new game, but I am kind of burnt out on Ireland since that's all I did with CK2 and have been playing around there for ~20 hours or so. The 1066 Rags to Riches Ireland start is great for learning about the military side given the high starting marshall stats. Any recommended starts for learning more about stewardship and the intrigue side of things? Also any recommended guides/videos for learning those game systems better?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
If you split your army, how do you distribute knights? My knights all stick with one army.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

B B posted:

I have a much better understanding of how the military stuff works, as well as fabricating and pressing claims. I am still pretty clueless about ways to generate claims outside of fabricating them, but looking forward to learning more about that.

One thing that's still kind of a complete mystery to me is the hostile schemes. I've tried only one murder plot so far, but it quickly got found out and lowered all of my vassal's opinions of me.

With claims, you'll occasionally have claimants wandering around from court to court. You get a notification when it happens. There's also a button in the decisions page, I think, that allows you to offer invites to claimants to your court.

There are also de jure claims, pope-granted claims, or claims that people are born with, among other things.

With hostile schemes, you'll likely need to go into your intrigue tab and click on the invite agents button. You can invite, bribe, or blackmail people to help your scheme. It'll show you your complete success change, as well as your secrecy chance.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What gives with torturing people? Every time I torture someone, I just make them insane but glean no information from them, never a peep. Am I torturing incorrectly? Is there a specific way of peeling fingernails off that I'm not following?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Qubee posted:

What gives with torturing people? Every time I torture someone, I just make them insane but glean no information from them, never a peep. Am I torturing incorrectly? Is there a specific way of peeling fingernails off that I'm not following?

i think the game is trying to teach you something about the efficacy of torture in gathering useful information

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Qubee posted:

drat they even made the torturing realistic

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

queeb posted:

so i got my first vassal, gave it to my friend half brother. now it says i can go into an alliance with him.

Having an internal realm ally means that if you have intra-realm shenanigans -- some other vassals decide they don't need you and your hat, or want to change some law that you like, that sort of thing -- then they'll be on your side. It's more useful than I thought at first, for instance marrying off your heir to a strong vassal or their kid can really help come inheritance when that vassal remains your new character's ally even though the rest of the realm hates you.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I mean, not even a single thread for me to follow, even if it would just be them saying what I want to hear. It's basically a pointless button that makes people insane.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

B B posted:

I want to start a new game, but I am kind of burnt out on Ireland since that's all I did with CK2 and have been playing around there for ~20 hours or so. The 1066 Rags to Riches Ireland start is great for learning about the military side given the high starting marshall stats. Any recommended starts for learning more about stewardship and the intrigue side of things? Also any recommended guides/videos for learning those game systems better?

If you want to try inland without immediately being mobbed by antagonists, both Bohemia and Poland are pretty generous starts and you remain tucked somewhat safely behind the HRE for a long time.

I found the videos on this guy's site very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3BiSs8eBE9hA9EWYTgtAg. He's still adding new deep-dives into each avenue of the game on a regular basis.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Qubee posted:

I mean, not even a single thread for me to follow, even if it would just be them saying what I want to hear. It's basically a pointless button that makes people insane.
one of the intrigue trees gives you a lotta benefits from torturing. at base level it also helps with dread i think.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Qubee posted:

You should get the lifestyle perks that give you a chance of increasing intrigue or prowess when you torture someone and the one that removes the piety cost. I’m torturing nonstop over here! I haven’t learned anything from them of course, but I’m not really sure how most of these people ended up in my dungeon to begin with anyway.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

queeb posted:

If you're in an alliance with your vassal, they can't join factions against you, but you can't revoke their titles, I believe.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Just found a fun combination: Tribal government with the pursuit of power tenet in the reformed religion. Suddenly you can create titels for 0% gold ! Very nice for free prestige, especially since somehow titles seem to vanish into thin air when I randomly distribute them into my huge family.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm having this weird problem again:

This county is occupied by one of my vassals (Tjudmund) and it's blocking me from winning my war against this dipshit (Ihala). You see, that vassal is not fighting on my side of the war. In fact, that vassal is not in any war. There is another ongoing war against the same person I'm attacking, but Tjudmund is not involved in that war, is not allied to anyone fighting in that war, or anything. For all I know he showed up and took that province for no reason at all other than to spite me. How do I get out of this situation? Kinda want this war to end.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Lmao when the game does a fullscreen popup and queues dramatic music to tell me that uh one of my vassal's nobody courtiers had an affair with some other vassal's nobody courtier. Wow. This changes everything.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Chewbot posted:

If you want to try inland without immediately being mobbed by antagonists, both Bohemia and Poland are pretty generous starts and you remain tucked somewhat safely behind the HRE for a long time.

I found the videos on this guy's site very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3BiSs8eBE9hA9EWYTgtAg. He's still adding new deep-dives into each avenue of the game on a regular basis.

Thank you! Going to watch those while I reply the tutorial and get another game started. :)

Will look into Bohemia and Poland.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Guys? Help?

Great now we both lose

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
867 Africa is batshit insane and I love it. Started as Jamanatigi Bannu of Kabarasana who was Brave, Paranoid, and Arbitrary, so I started with a pretty high Intrigue. One of my first prompts was for some floozy to join my court and noticed she had 21 Intrigue. Long story short she helped me kill my Lazy wife and then I married her just before invading Worodugu. She's a Fornicator that pings my Spymaster constantly, and I could probably jail her, but the intrigue boost is so worth it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any advice on how to pick what to specialize my heirs in? I just keep specializing my sons as warriors. Should I have periods of peace where my heir focuses on stewardship / diplomacy, and periods of backstabbing fuckery where they specialize in intrigue to start stealing huge swathes of land? As in their entire reign, they just focus on developing the kingdom / murdering people. How do I break out of this warrior king cycle, it's my brain's go-to.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Guys? Help?

Great now we both lose

i really hope they patch the allied ai this happens constantly lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The menu family portraits are great.

Here is me, my giant wife, and shy tiny son.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I would love to eventually get an option to set up your family photo shoots in the menu so you can cap periods in time with your various favorite relatives together.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So my first long-reigned character went down. Started as a 12 year old, died in her 70s. RIP dread queen of Norway.

Turns out my son/heir has a bastard child with his sister, and they've both been spreading herpes around the court.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I must be kinda slow, in my tutorial game I am 55 years old and control 2 duchys and 5 counties. I want to try and grab up 2 more counties and form the kingdom as soon as possible right? There’s an anonymous plot to kill me so I’m kinda worried about dying and splitting up my poo poo and starting from basically square one. Also, once I’ve formed the kingdom, should I keep my realm capital as the starting spot, or is it smart to make it Dublinn to match the kingdom capital?

I am pretty poor but I suppose I’m allied with the king of England, so maybe I should call him in to help grab the last two counties easier since they are pretty even with me troop wise

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

any tips on selecting people to take over counties to be vassals? I almost have all of ireland, need to divvy poo poo up. I do have a brother and we're besties, i was going to offload 3 provinces to him. is it fine to give one person a bunch of land or should I split it up between courtiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So my first long-reigned character went down. Started as a 12 year old, died in her 70s. RIP dread queen of Norway.

Turns out my son/heir has a bastard child with his sister, and they've both been spreading herpes around the court.

It's not herpes; it's the love pox. There's just too much love in your court.

Murder some folks.