Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

This sounds interesting. Sacha Dhawan, Nicola Walker, and Paterson Joesph ... and it's free?!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1301422666952445953?s=20

Is this for a shared Gerry Anderson universe or just a new property inspired by the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Voting Floater posted:

If we're talking consecutive stories, going from Earthshock to Time Flight is another contender.

Earthshock episode 1 to Earthshock episode 2

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I never realised how terrible the Cybermen bodies were in the last season. The helmet is great, I always loved the side-ribbing on the classic helmets, and it’s nice to see it brought back here, but the body is dreadful. Spikes? Weird medieval thighs and knees and whatnot? :cripes:

No wonder you don’t really see a lot of clear shots like this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That person appears to be 4 feet tall.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If the Cyberwoman from Torchwood was fully upgraded...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah the faces are usually good but the bodies awful, it's too clear that it isn't metal, seeing folds and bends in the fabric can be a little distracting.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Noticed something when I watched an episode of another show today. Completely missed it the first time around. The Boys season 2 episode 3 spoilers: I'm fairly certain Frenchie is wearing a 13th Doctor as a cat shirt. It has the obvious rainbow shirt and suspenders.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Ooof. Man, if they just had that new style of head on the Nightmare in Silver suits it would look cool as hell. That looks like a nightmare of bad design.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I never realised how terrible the Cybermen bodies were in the last season. The helmet is great, I always loved the side-ribbing on the classic helmets, and it’s nice to see it brought back here, but the body is dreadful. Spikes? Weird medieval thighs and knees and whatnot? :cripes:

No wonder you don’t really see a lot of clear shots like this.

What

That's not

What?

Okay ignoring, for as much as I can, the spikes of grr and general pointy bits of malicious intent...Why is the suit so disproportionate from the helmet? He looks like a bobble head

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Ah y'see those are Cyber-WARRIORS, not just regular Cybermen. That means spikes.

quote:

Cybermen of the Warrior Class were a new generation of Cybermen that were awakened on a Cybercarrier by the Lone Cyberman, Ashad and his Cyberguards to fight as a Cyber-Army against the remnants of humanity in the far future after the Cyber-Empire had been brought down at the end of the Cyber-Wars.

I do love the goofy tradition of sticking cyber- onto everything relating to the Cybermen. The Cyberleader took a sip of cyber-tea from his cyber-mug while sitting in his cyber-chair and watching the cyber-TV.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Cyberman rain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Voting Floater posted:

Ah y'see those are Cyber-WARRIORS, not just regular Cybermen. That means spikes.

I do love the goofy tradition of sticking cyber- onto everything relating to the Cybermen. The Cyberleader took a sip of cyber-tea from his cyber-mug while sitting in his cyber-chair and watching the cyber-TV.

You should track down David Banks' "Cybermen" book from the late 80s/early 90s where he attempts to time line the Cybermen's history, and attributes names to all the designs seen on the show. Off the top of my head I remember:

CyberMondasians
CyberNomads
CyberNeoMorphs

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Davros1 posted:

CyberNeoMorphs
Magnificent :awesomelon:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1302294950978236417

What?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My name happens to be Terror of the Zygons, so this will be easy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...No, I don't think so

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

My name happens to be Terror of the Zygons, so this will be easy.

Great, now I can't name my kid that. What of they run out of license plates at the gift shop?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Spell your mother's maiden name and the name of your first pet in Doctor Who stories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Spell your mother's maiden name and the name of your first pet in Doctor Who stories.

Count out your social security number using only episode numbers from The War Games.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
What is Time Lord Victorious actually about? The promos just seem to go on about it being a multimedia event and not what it is or how you follow the story. So do you have to read the comics, then the books and audio plays in order to follow it? Is it a story with a middle, beginning and end? Is the play the end, and how will people experience the ending if they don't attend?

I thought it was just a multi-Doctor story with Eight and Ten, with comics and books filling in for Nine. But it isn't? And t-shirts are a part of the story?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1302301079431008256

I feel so sorry for people with Q in their names, since the only Q tites are Quinnis, Queen of Time, Quest of the Engineer, and Quantum Heresy as Big Finish Audio Plays

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OldMemes posted:

What is Time Lord Victorious actually about? The promos just seem to go on about it being a multimedia event and not what it is or how you follow the story. So do you have to read the comics, then the books and audio plays in order to follow it? Is it a story with a middle, beginning and end? Is the play the end, and how will people experience the ending if they don't attend?

I thought it was just a multi-Doctor story with Eight and Ten, with comics and books filling in for Nine. But it isn't? And t-shirts are a part of the story?

It's some sort of Dr. Who Pyramid Scheme, I'm sure of it

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1302301079431008256

I feel so sorry for people with Q in their names, since the only Q tites are Quinnis, Queen of Time, Quest of the Engineer, and Quantum Heresy as Big Finish Audio Plays

Frontios
Aztecs, the
Robot
Terminus

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My name is now VoV because VENGEANCE ON VAROS is the greatest story ever.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
Call me RAPPAS. It's short for:

Ribos Operation, the
Androids of Tara, the
Pirate Planet, the
Power of Kroll, the
Armageddon Factor, the
Stones of Blood, the

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OldMemes posted:

If the roadmap is any indication, they've totally embraced comic book crossover-style storytelling, so the first several comics/audios are designated ROAD TO TIME LORD VICTORIOUS, which means that they have absolutely nothing to do with the story except at the end the same character show up and says a few things. Let's have him be... I dunno, the carnival operator from Carnival of Monsters? Then in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #1, the carnival operator is shockingly killed off and then all of the Doctors have to fight each other. Romana takes off all her clothes for some reason in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #3. In TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #11, the whole crossover is retconned out of existence and the Fifth Doctor has lightning powers. But stay tuned for TIME LORD VICTORIOUS: AFTERMATH!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Rochallor posted:

If the roadmap is any indication, they've totally embraced comic book crossover-style storytelling, so the first several comics/audios are designated ROAD TO TIME LORD VICTORIOUS, which means that they have absolutely nothing to do with the story except at the end the same character show up and says a few things. Let's have him be... I dunno, the carnival operator from Carnival of Monsters? Then in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #1, the carnival operator is shockingly killed off and then all of the Doctors have to fight each other. Romana takes off all her clothes for some reason in TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #3. In TIME LORD VICTORIOUS #11, the whole crossover is retconned out of existence and the Fifth Doctor has lightning powers. But stay tuned for TIME LORD VICTORIOUS: AFTERMATH!

I'm familar with comic book crossover road maps, but this map is still gibberish. So how do you follow the, you know, story? Are the Eighth Doctor audios a main part, or a side story? Is the comic the main focus? If you don't go to the live event, do you miss the ending? I'm guessing the Tenth Doctor is the main character? If you read one of the books but miss an audio, what then? How is it one story when its divided up over several formats?

It's always nice to see the Eighth Doctor get a big push, but this is confusing. Why are some of the audio plays being released on vinyl? Why is a t-shirt and action figure a major part of the story? Multi-Doctor crossovers are meant to be fun little self contained things, right?

I keep saying I'm going to get back into the audio dramas, but never do because of time and money. Haven't listened to one in years, but I had fun with some of them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think that’s just a release schedule, so no, you don’t have to buy the action figures or any merchandise to follow the story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: Vinyls--those at least are just special limited printings of stories otherwise available on CD/download

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I suspect part of the push is an admission that there's not going to be any televised episodes on the horizon. They need to do something to keep the brand in mind. As to why it hasn't happened before, that's probably down to the licensing status. The Titan Doctor Who comics, which are mainly new series focused, have only been around for a couple years, as has Big Finish's ability to play around with new series ideas.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

OldMemes posted:

I'm familar with comic book crossover road maps, but this map is still gibberish. So how do you follow the, you know, story? Are the Eighth Doctor audios a main part, or a side story? Is the comic the main focus? If you don't go to the live event, do you miss the ending? I'm guessing the Tenth Doctor is the main character? If you read one of the books but miss an audio, what then? How is it one story when its divided up over several formats?

Don't worry, there's another road map that makes the whole thing very simple and easy to understand!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And that’s not even complete! Character Options have been deliberately vague about maybe putting out some TLV action figures at some point soon. They’ve got a time lord figure in their past retinue, so jamming a Tennant head on it isn’t a huge stretch.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Okay, who wants to play? I'll be the Ninth Doctor. I rolled a 2 and landed on All Flesh is Gross. "Contemplate the horror of your existence. Lose 1 turn."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tomtrek posted:

Don't worry, there's another road map that makes the whole thing very simple and easy to understand!

Well there we go, that makes sense, it's all a strict progression of cause to effect, I assume.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah the faces are usually good but the bodies awful, it's too clear that it isn't metal, seeing folds and bends in the fabric can be a little distracting.

Fabric has always been an integral part of Cyberdesign. :colbert:

All Roads Lead to Rome
Small Prophet, Quick Return
The Death of Doctor Who
Rider from Shang-Tu
O.K Corral
Mighty Kublai Khan
Air Lock
Nightmare Begins

Because I'm next level, I did it entirely out of pre "The Savages" Hartnell era individual episode titles. :smug: Had to cheat on a couple "The"s though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

Fabric has always been an integral part of Cyberdesign. :colbert:

I never minded those because - putting aside the fact they were clearly made on a budget in the 60s - it fit that they were this conglomeration of various levels of tech put together initially in pieces to deal with organic parts of the body failing, that ended up being an initially unplanned whole conversion of the body using whatever (spare) parts they could find.

The best Cyberman story of the modern day was, ironically, the one where they went back to these original designs.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The TLV stuff is even worse because the comic just came out is set after a book which should of been put, but is delayed until October. Is starts with a Previously On that sums up the events of that book, but not in an easy to understand way.

Which means that the inciting incident for the entire cross over won't be out for another month.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I suspect part of the push is an admission that there's not going to be any televised episodes on the horizon. They need to do something to keep the brand in mind.

It's been planned for three or four years (hence the lack of Moffat Doctors, I suppose). But it certainly seems to be filling a gap.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Great, now I can't name my kid that. What of they run out of license plates at the gift shop?

The Ambassadors of Death is still available, although between the pause and the twaaang your kid is going to have issues at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Dr. Who Pyramid Scheme

That was one of my favourite 4th Doctor stories: love that Sutekh.

As to Cybermen, fabric was always part of their look in the classic series. They even kept up with the fashions of the time - tight and shiny in the late sixties; flares in the seventies; shell suits in the eighties (excellent!).