Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

LoK failed as a sequel, but taken as it's own thing I'd give it a 6, remove the brothers and make amon right (amon was right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Asami should have been an Equalist and proven that they were right about a lot of stuff that Korra ends up helping them reform.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I honestly think LoK has serious issues with women given how the conflict (especially in s2, but in the other seasons as well) is so often, "Korra is dumb and wrong but unfortunately she has the power, most of the men in her life are smarter/wiser/kinder but she just won't listen to them". S2 compounds this with, "and instead she listens to the bad man, Unalaq, and is easily taken in by him!".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Asgerd posted:

And Catra isn't what I'd call smart :v:

It is stated within the show that she's amazing at running the Horde and taking over the world.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, her big flaw is that she can't stop herself from doing impulsive poo poo in an attempt to impress/lash out against Adora. If it wasn't for that she'd be pretty competent.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

T-man posted:

LoK failed as a sequel, but taken as it's own thing I'd give it a 6, remove the brothers and make amon right (amon was right)

Don't you take away Bolin, my beautiful himbo

Also LOK S3 would have been a lot better if the writers' research into anarchism had gone beyond listening to a lot of Black Flag.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

LoK would have probably been better in general if the writers hadn't gotten jerked around by Nickelodeon for four years straight.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
"Failed sequel" seems like quite a stretch for Korra given how popular it is at the moment with it's Netflix debut in some regions.

It was a more complex show than TLA, and it really did suffer for that at times, but when it's firing on all cylinders, say in season 2 part 2, it's easily as good as anything in the genre imo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

LoK would have probably been better in general if the writers hadn't gotten jerked around by Nickelodeon for four years straight.

Was it season 2 where they just dumped like 8 at once to get through the season faster? The Nickelodeon execs seemed to have little to no care about trying to make the show succeed and its almost a miracle it actually managed to become such a big hit.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If amon wasn't so horrible an idea AND execution from day one and taken out in a loving boat explosion like a cheesy 80s cop show I might blame nickelodeon. It's basically a political cartoon made into an anime, like someone at the animation studio grabbed the wrong folder. With as much subtlety, intellect, nuance, and quality that implies.

E: that's not to say I didn't watch the entire series as it came out real time including shift online and done a couple rewatches after. I still have a few super early s1 mp4s in some ancient folder. It just does not hold up whatsoever.

T-man fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 5, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pararoid posted:

"Failed sequel" seems like quite a stretch for Korra given how popular it is at the moment with it's Netflix debut in some regions.

It was a more complex show than TLA, and it really did suffer for that at times, but when it's firing on all cylinders, say in season 2 part 2, it's easily as good as anything in the genre imo.

Well it certainly thought it was a more complex show than TLA at least.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
LoK's biggest sin for me was making the setting as a whole feel more mundane.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Accurate

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

pentyne posted:

Was it season 2 where they just dumped like 8 at once to get through the season faster? The Nickelodeon execs seemed to have little to no care about trying to make the show succeed and its almost a miracle it actually managed to become such a big hit.

It was Season 3. The first half of season 3 was dumped in multi-episode chunks over a period of three days, then the last half of season 3 and all of season 4 was online-only. My understanding is that season 4 only exists at all because 3 and 4 were part of a single animation order and it would have cost Nick more to renege on the contract than to make and dump the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was Season 3. The first half of season 3 was dumped in multi-episode chunks over a period of three days, then the last half of season 3 and all of season 4 was online-only. My understanding is that season 4 only exists at all because 3 and 4 were part of a single animation order and it would have cost Nick more to renege on the contract than to make and dump the show.

And yet despite trying to kill it they still lost their poo poo over the last episode of lesbian hand holding.

Did someone at Nick just loving hate DiMartino&Konietzko or something? Did Korra completely crash in the ratings/merch sales? Is the Avatar franchise cursed in some way?

Those guys did some pretty amazing work for Nickelodeon working within what were some extreme limitations for creativity, and now 15 years later everything they try to do with Avatar gets hosed by a studio exec somehow.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This is from very vague memory, but I think there was a total ratings collapse in S2/maybe the back half of S1? And they'd expected a lot more from the show, and had invested in making its animation very fluid and detailed.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Android Blues posted:

This is from very vague memory, but I think there was a total ratings collapse in S2/maybe the back half of S1? And they'd expected a lot more from the show, and had invested in making its animation very fluid and detailed.

Yeah, by the end of the third season they were doing 1/4th of the viewers of the first season. Also, this was in conjunction with Nick getting burned very badly on the M Night live action avatar movie a year or two prior, so the one-two punch killed any hope of making Avatar a financial tent-pole for the company.

I love LoK quite a bit, but Nickolodeon took an absolute bath on it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's really nuts to think how much bigger Avatar could be as a franchise if the movie had been even slightly competent. It's already incredibly popular despite that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycot posted:

It's really nuts to think how much bigger Avatar could be as a franchise if the movie had been even slightly competent. It's already incredibly popular despite that.

It really is masterfully inept. It's talked about a lot, but... "You're STANDING ON THE EARTH!" People complain it takes away a major character beat from Katara, which is bad, but they then filter it through the dumbest possible way.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I love LoK quite a bit, but Nickolodeon took an absolute bath on it.
Korra is just such a petulant protag that it's really a hard transition from Aang and crew. And we start with her at 3/4 elements so there's a lot of her characterization that feels like it's missing.

Honestly in the first season it's a lot of the setting that's enthralling.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

T-man posted:

If amon wasn't so horrible an idea AND execution from day one and taken out in a loving boat explosion like a cheesy 80s cop show I might blame nickelodeon. It's basically a political cartoon made into an anime, like someone at the animation studio grabbed the wrong folder. With as much subtlety, intellect, nuance, and quality that implies.

E: that's not to say I didn't watch the entire series as it came out real time including shift online and done a couple rewatches after. I still have a few super early s1 mp4s in some ancient folder. It just does not hold up whatsoever.

Amon was very cool for most of the show, he only became bad when they revealed his backstory and true motivation.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

I appreciate this, and I appreciate you for posting it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Season finale spoiler meme:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to binging this whole show.

I liked the Parallels between Hordak and Catra. They both had a point where they could have stopped and been reasonably happy with what they had even if all their dreams hadn't come true - Catra wouldn't have had Adora, and Hordak wouldn't have had his brother's approval, but they had moments where they could have just paused and been fine. Catra could have stayed in the desert with Scorpia and been gang buddies, and Hordak could have stopped just before actually activating the portal (it wasn't until he had all the pieces that he realised he didn't actually want his brother involved, so he couldn't have stopped sooner). Just before the Portal, when he and Entrapta have the sword and are prepping to open it, it's obvious that neither of them actually WANT to, they just feel the last few months would have been pointless if they didn't. Even though they are currently very happy just working on lab stuff together. Both go a step further, then lose everything as a result too.

I also liked that Catra's arc was just a massive feedback loop - "My goals are to help the Horde take over Etheria - everything will be worth it when the Horde succeeds" drove everything she did, but losing Adora started her on a spiral - "I may have betrayed her, but it will all be worth it when the horde takes over and I'm finally a success... I may be attacking helpless people, but it will all be worth it.." and as the feedback loop continued, her behaviour got more and more erratic and desperate and cruel as she resorted to more and more underhanded tactics to make the Horde win, even as she was hemorraging friends and allies, and the abandonment issues were only made worse by that and fueled her hunger for power, until she was destroying other peoples relationships, which only made them hate her more, which lost her MORE friends and made her MORE desperate. It was a never ending downward spiral that she could not pull up from until she hit bottom. She'was basically trapped in the ultimate Sunk Cost Fallacy

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
She-Ra movie starring Finn when

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Entrapta sucks tho.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I think it is funny that one of the most emotionally grounded characters on the show has a neurological disorder that makes emotional connections challenging.

She was even the first one to express their feelings for their partner. :3:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Motherfucker posted:

Entrapta sucks tho.

i will fite u

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Motherfucker posted:

Entrapta sucks tho.
If you've only ever seen the original show, sure.

This Entrapta is a superstar.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
A superstar at being the worst.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Motherfucker posted:

monitor's off bud

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Motherfucker posted:

catch these hands

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have to cut someone

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

they might be speaking in relation to Best Princess Scorpia who makes all other Princesses seem like trash by comparison

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just check his rap sheet. Regardless of whether or not it's a troll, he keeps doing it and does it repeatedly and he only learns his lesson for a little bit before falling back into bad habits.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

oh but seriously I posted:

they might be speaking in relation to Best Princess Scorpia who makes all other Princesses seem like trash by comparison
Scorpia's the best in-universe but Entrapta is the best as a character to be featured in a children's show.

Season 2's length is really inexcusable when there was so much more Super Pal Trio we could've and should've had.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I want some expanded universe content that's just following Entrapta around while she fixes some amazing tech or something :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Entrapta and the Subroutines of Power

Also yes, someone with the handle "Motherfucker" is a serial troll.